Visit site
✟16,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone?
Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?"

To me this parable is very important because I've seen it rampant in my generation.

I didn't understand it till I had a chance to look at the metaphor and its a good one.
that also explains another parable.

Basically in todays generation, from what seems impossible to mistranslate is
parents putting all the blame and guilt into their kids. As though it was wisdom.
And the kids inheriting a heart of stone. Very simple, thought it was worth posting.

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I understand you...
What is "today's generation?" I mean which age group? Is it the same as "my generation?"
And which other parable does it explain?
Do you feel your parents put "all the blame and guilt into" you? Do you feel you have a heart of stone? Or is this something you observe in others?

Matthew 7:7-
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
"

I read Jesus words as an admonition to understand that God responds favourably to those who come to him - far more favourably than any of us imagine. He says that even sinful parents give good gifts to their children when they ask for them, and so we should not hesitate to ask God for good gifts. And he urges us all to respond in like manner - do to others what you would like them to do for you (e.g. interact positively and constructively in a life-giving rather than life-destroying manner).

You apparently read this is a very different way. Could you please clarify your understanding...? I'm curious.

Upvote 0
Mar 24, 2017
Houston
Visit site
✟16,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
thanks for posting
I appreciate your insight as that gives me understanding I needed.

I've seen many parents growing up, from my cousins to my friends. Not all but common enough that its stereotypically acknowledged as the idea of mommy and daddy issues, which is mean. But I've seen examples where the number one obstacle to that person life is their parents.

I'm not saying that people can be perfect parents.

But the way I was raised and many that I saw around me. Parents did not give their best to their children but instead gave them much of their mistakes as inheritance.
Probably how familial problems get passed down from one generation to the next and becomes a continuous problem occurring with the family.

Not sure what normal is. But then again I've had no reference to compare. I have an idea of it. not based on television. But common sense.
and common sense tells me that their must be a lack of it in what I've seen around me. And I wondered, if I wasn't exceptional, I could only be as good as my surroundings. So I don't feel like I've done more wrong than what is common to man.

Today's generation I suppose is everyone who is living today who isn't a senior.

Last edited:
Upvote 0