Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One thing... even if Peter founded the Christian church... who is to say that the bishops of Rome are his successors (oh, yeah, not Peter.. this was a big item of debate over a hundred years after Peter's death) or that the successors of Peter have the power that the Pope in Rome has claimed?

Now, I think it is obvious that Christ is the founder of the Christian church...

JM

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

The bible established who the rock is long before Peter.

Who was the rock that quenched the thirst of the Israelites in the wilderness? According to Paul:

1 Corinthians 10:4And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

The psalmist sang about the Lord

Psalm 118
21 I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation.
22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.

Who is the chief corner stone according to the psalmist? The Lord Himself.

Jesus quoted Psalm 11:22 after He told the parable of vineyard in Matthew 21 in which the wick husbandmen killed the Son of the Lord.

Who was the stone that the builders rejected? Jesus.

In the Daniel 2 vision

34 Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces.
35 Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshingfloors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth.

That stone/rock is Christ.

Matthew 7
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

Jesus made it clear in Matthew 7 also in Luke 6, whosoever hears the His Words and does them, his faith is built upon a rock.

So the bible is very clear when Jesus said to Peter, "upon this Rock I'll build my church", He was talking about Himself, not Peter.

Also from Acts 15, we see in the council of Jerusalem, it was James, not Peter who gave the final verdict/conclusion. It is clear that James not Peter was the head of the church of Jerusalem.

Upvote 0