Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're equating all possible non-supernatural causes with evolution.

Btodd

What are the other possible non-supernatural causes, other than ambiogenesis, aliens, for how life began, and then evolution to explain how life went from primitive lifeforms to the present? Your statement above makes much more sense if there are OTHER POSSIBLE non-supernatural causes, and "I do not know how it happened but God was not involved," does not qualify as a non-supernatural cause.

Upvote 0

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For example, when Genesis speaks of days (as in 7 day creation), do you think it meant a different period of time than we do? What definition are you using that allows you to synthesize your belief with a 4.5 billion-year Earth?

Btodd

I believe the story of creaton wasn't to show that God created in 6 days but the importance of the Sabbath day of rest, as in God ordained that day of rest from the begining. Plus the audience wouldn't have cared how old the earth truly was, it wouldn't have bothered them or their concept of time.

Reactions: Cabal
Upvote 0

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think the majority of Christians believe in Creationism or YEC....but we're talking about someone who was a Pentecostal for almost 30 years.

I invite you to answer the question I previously posed....if you had to bet on what a Pentecostal believes about the age of the Earth, what would you bet on? Be honest. It's hard to imagine that a church that believes in speaking in tongues and individual prophecy, is suddenly 'enlightened' on the issue of the age of the Earth. I don't think it's outlandish to expect her to be YEC, and their website does nothing but support my suspicion. It's the answer that is most likely.

Have you ever been to a Pentecostal church? I have. Scary stuff. Not the type of people I want in charge of decisions about the Holy Lands and other religions' claims to it. If you would like, I can let you watch her church sing, "This world has nothing for me, I will follow you". That's not an idea I want a world leader subscribing to. This world matters, because it just may be the only life we ever get.

Btodd

I think stereotyping any group of people is wrong. I believe that God moves, heals, and delivers today. Just because something is different doesn't mean it is scary. But at the same time, that doesn't mean I will vote for Palin or think she is the best person for the job, when I believe Obama is.

Upvote 0

Btodd

Oct 7, 2003
✟20,354.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We are not talking about before Darwin. We are talking about the here and now. I am not even sure what atheists believed before Darwin regarding origins.

Exactly. So atheism isn't dependent on a belief in evolution, but you would still expect an atheist to believe in it because you live in the real world, and know what atheists commonly believe. I'll get back to this point in my reply to Notre Dame.

jameswright said:
But the bottom line is you can't make any determination regarding Palin's beliefs because of an official doctrine of a church.

Right. I can't make any determination, but I can have reasonable suspicion to warrant wanting an answer. Please stop implying that I'm saying, 'She's definitely a YEC'. I've done no such thing, and that's not the point of the thread.

jameswright said:
Sorry creationist books being sold in their official store shows that they do endorse the belief. A church wouldn't sell book in its official store that goes against it's beliefs. It would be like Obama's church selling a book on the virtues of white supremacy..it wouldn't happen.

I still haven't seen your evidence for that. You mentioned it, and then said they probably removed it. You should know that's not a good answer from my perspective; I'm not inclined to believe it on the mere mention. But I would support you asking him the question.

I'll also note that Hitchens, like Dawkins is prone to do, often uses Creationism as a blanket term that includes Intelligent Design. His mere mention of it doesn't evidence it either, like my posting of the Assemblies of God's core beliefs does.

jameswright said:
Nambla analogy doesn't work

Actually, I will concede that. I was under the impression that they justified their sexual perversion with other appeals to non-sexual related tenets. As it stands, they literally only appeal to sex and an 'unfair stigma', nothing more. So I concede that in the absence of any other tenets to form their organization, that analogy does fail.

jameswright said:
How about this. You answer my question which is more appropriate.
Does being a Catholic make it more apt for that person not to use birth control?

No, but you know that from data and the real-world practical knowledge that I'm appealing to in the first place. And I would still support you asking a Catholic candidate for their answer, either way.

Btodd

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Btodd

Oct 7, 2003
✟20,354.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This is not the point you made. Perhaps this is the point you hoped to make, or intended to make, originally.

Here is what you said!

Neither JamesWright or myself can logically do this because it is logical to suspect the atheist believes in evolution.

No it isn't, according to your defense of being Pentecostal. Follow my point in relation to your defense of the Pentecostal denomination:

When I say that it's reasonable to suspect a Pentecostal candidate for believing in a literal Bible (or more specifically, YEC), your defense is that 'Pentecostal' doesn't automatically equate to 'literal Bible' for any specific individual, even if the denomination's core belief says it's based on such. By your account, it is not necessary to believe literally, because that's not the only reason to be Pentecostal, so we can't suspect any one Pentecostal we meet of believing in a literal Bible, and it's unfair to do so.

Atheism is not dependent on believing in evolution, either. It's merely the lack of belief in a God. So by extension, when you meet an atheist, it's unfair for you to even suspect them of believing in evolution, because there are many other reasons for being an atheist, and it's entirely possible to disbelieve evolution (as I said, aliens could have created each species ex nihilo, with no evolution required.....or an atheist could have no opinion at all about evolution, having never heard the theory as atheists prior to Darwin did) and still be an atheist.

If each of our respective examples aren't defined by any one characteristic, then it's just as outrageous for you to suspect an atheist of believing in evolution as it is for me to suspect a person of a literal denomination of Christianity to believe in a literal Bible interpretation.

NotreDame said:
Why? For reasons I and JamesWright have already mentioned. Atheists appeal to NON-THEISTIC causes. There are only a very FEW non-theistic causes right now for A). How life began on the planet and B.) How life got to where it is today from the very primitive lifeforms. In fact, in regards to A.) there are only TWO non-theistic causes, ambiogenesis (for practical purposes, a field in its infancy) and aliens. In regards to B.) evolution.

See above. Evolution isn't the only possibility, since aliens could have created us, without being supernatural beings, either. Nor is evolution a necessary tenet of atheism; you are making that connection out of real-world practical observation, as I have about the Pentecostal denomination. My point all along is that it's reasonable to suspect Palin, a member of a Pentecostal, literal Bible promoting church and denomination for 28 years, of believing in a literal Bible. And I would like to hear her discuss it.

Btodd

Upvote 0

Btodd

Oct 7, 2003
✟20,354.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What are the other possible non-supernatural causes, other than ambiogenesis, aliens, for how life began, and then evolution to explain how life went from primitive lifeforms to the present? Your statement above makes much more sense if there are OTHER POSSIBLE non-supernatural causes, and "I do not know how it happened but God was not involved," does not qualify as a non-supernatural cause.

Could aliens have evolved somewhere else, and then created us with the superior knowledge of how life begins that they've acquired?

But more to the point is that it isn't necessary to have any idea at all about what DID cause life or specific life forms in order to be an atheist, so if your defense of being Pentecostal is true, then it is wrong for you to suspect any one atheist of believing in evolution. The mere fact that atheism existed before the Theory of Evolution makes this very clear.

Again, I would like to stress that I think you are justified in suspecting an atheist of believing in evolution....just not for the reasons you are presenting.

Btodd

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟512,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So by extension, when you meet an atheist, it's unfair for you to even suspect them of believing in evolution, because there are many other reasons for being an atheist, and it's entirely possible to disbelieve evolution (as I said, aliens could have created each species ex nihilo, with no evolution required.....or an atheist could have no opinion at all about evolution, having never heard the theory as atheists prior to Darwin did) and still be an atheist.

Btodd

Atheism is not dependent on believing in evolution, either.

Yeah so what? I never said anything to indicate otherwise.

So by extension, when you meet an atheist, it's unfair for you to even suspect them of believing in evolution, because there are many other reasons for being an atheist, and it's entirely possible to disbelieve evolution (as I said, aliens could have created each species ex nihilo, with no evolution required.....or an atheist could have no opinion at all about evolution, having never heard the theory as atheists prior to Darwin did) and still be an atheist.

The reasons for being an atheist is not the issue! My freaking goodness!!!! I am not even going to address this part of your post because you are doing nothing but introducing red herrings into the discussion here. If and when you figure out the issue being discussed, then I will say something. But, so long as you continue to erroneously think the dialogue is about the REASONS for being an atheist, then I will continue to ignore it. I will address the rest of your argument in a separate post.

The point is and remains true, your atheist example is non-parallel to the Sarah Palin facts. Introducing red herrings does nothing to reverse it.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I think you make a huge leap in logic here. Disagreeing with scientists on a narrow and specific issue like the validity of evolution is not an impeachment of the scientific approach, its method, or scientists.

Again, clarification on this from Palin would be fantastic. If she's too close to the kind of thinking that produced that joke of a movie "Expelled", which equates evolutionary biologists with Nazism and imagines conspiracy at every corner, then it is an impeachment on scientists. Again, this may not be her camp, but it's the most vocal part of it, and scientists are getting sick of it.

Especially since Creationists, YEC, OEC, and Christians are extremely deferential to them in regards to other areas, such as gravity, viral and bacterial infections and treating same, magnetism, electricity, etcetera. So, I am not sure how far this point gets you here. In fact, I think it weakens your point as it demonstrates Sarah Palin could quite possibly be very deferential to scientists, its method, and the scientific community say 99% of the time, which means, if true, it is most likely she will adhere to their advice, if and when doing so becomes relevant to the position of president.

Again, clarification from Palin would be fantastic. Given the tendency of the antievolution movement to not listen to the explanations given and keep rattling off the same tired points like "evolution is a theory, not a fact" and regularly redefines "evolution" as a catchall term for anything that disagrees with their overcherished Bible interpretations (cosmology, geology, biology, etc), the sad thing is these people don't realise just how much science they're against, even when they claim they're not.

Considering the validity of evolution is not likely, if at all, going to be particularly or especially relevant to her job duties as president, I think this weakens your position, again if true. I think there is some evidence in Gengwall's opening post where, if true, this would be the case.

Well, unless Gengwall is Sarah Palin, I'm less concerned about what he says compared to Sarah Palin's view on this, but I'll be surprised if the Palin team has the stones to clarify her position for fear of losing a chunk of that religious vote. All this jumping through hoops to avoid answering a question is rather telling, as is the fact that apparently we can't judge Palin by her church, even though it was perfectly ok several months ago for the right to judge Obama by his. But then, whinging about impartial inquiry has been Palin's sterling quality so far, as it has been for her supporters.

Be clear on this: teaching both in a science class is not an acceptable compromise. Because ID is not science. You don't decide what's science in the high school. You decide it in the labs and lecture halls. The kids get it LAST, after due process has been done and we're sure of what they're being taught. ID has failed utterly at the first fence. Reform the "theory", or accept this outcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Btodd

Oct 7, 2003
✟20,354.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah so what? I never said anything to indicate otherwise.

The reasons for being an atheist is not the issue! My freaking goodness!!!! I am not even going to address this part of your post because you are doing nothing but introducing red herrings into the discussion here. If and when you figure out the issue being discussed, then I will say something. But, so long as you continue to erroneously think the dialogue is about the REASONS for being an atheist, then I will continue to ignore it. I will address the rest of your argument in a separate post.

The point is and remains true, your atheist example is non-parallel to the Sarah Palin facts. Introducing red herrings does nothing to reverse it.

Before you get too far ahead of yourself, remember: We're talking about whether or not it's reasonable to expect that a person's belief system warrants reasonable suspicion about what they believe, accordingly.

If you admit that when you meet an atheist, it's reasonable to suspect them of believing in evolution, then it's just as reasonable to suspect that an adherent of a literal-Bible based denomination believes in a literal Bible interpretation.

As you noted, just being Pentecostal doesn't mean that said person adheres to all their tenets, and I'm being unfair for even suspecting Palin of being a literal Bible believer.

And if that's the case, then I'm pointing out that if you suspect a standard atheist of believing in evolution, then you're making the same fallacy you are accusing me of. It just so happens that you don't get offended in regard to atheism, so you don't mind having a different standard.

If being Pentecostal gives me no indication whatsoever about what a Pentecostal might believe, then atheists give you no reason to suspect anything, either (other than lack of belief in God). Apparently, we can't suspect anyone of believing anything that their belief system revolves around. I can't suspect an Al Qaeda member of hating America, either....because there are multiple reasons for being an Al Qaeda member.

Which I find ridiculous, obviously. So don't get distracted as if this isn't relevant, it's the very same standard you are applying to the definition of 'Pentecostal'. And exclamation points aren't going to help you make your case, either.

Btodd

Reactions: Cabal
Upvote 0

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Before you get too far ahead of yourself, remember: We're talking about whether or not it's reasonable to expect that a person's belief system warrants reasonable suspicion about what they believe, accordingly.

If you admit that when you meet an atheist, it's reasonable to suspect them of believing in evolution, then it's just as reasonable to suspect that an adherent of a literal-Bible based denomination believes in a literal Bible interpretation.

As you noted, just being Pentecostal doesn't mean that said person adheres to all their tenets, and I'm being unfair for even suspecting Palin of being a literal Bible believer.

And if that's the case, then I'm pointing out that if you suspect a standard atheist of believing in evolution, then you're making the same fallacy you are accusing me of. It just so happens that you don't get offended in regard to atheism, so you don't mind having a different standard.

If being Pentecostal gives me no indication whatsoever about what a Pentecostal might believe, then atheists give you no reason to suspect anything, either (other than lack of belief in God). Apparently, we can't suspect anyone of believing anything that their belief system revolves around. I can't suspect an Al Qaeda member of hating America, either....because there are multiple reasons for being an Al Qaeda member.

Which I find ridiculous, obviously. So don't get distracted as if this isn't relevant, it's the very same standard you are applying to the definition of 'Pentecostal'. And exclamation points aren't going to help you make your case, either.

Btodd

Pentecostal is just someone who emphasizes the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, that is what they have in common, just like Athiests have in common the unbelief in God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟512,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I say that it's reasonable to suspect a Pentecostal candidate for believing in a literal Bible (or more specifically, YEC), your defense is that 'Pentecostal' doesn't automatically equate to 'literal Bible' for any specific individual, even if the denomination's core belief says it's based on such. By your account, it is not necessary to believe literally, because that's not the only reason to be Pentecostal, so we can't suspect any one Pentecostal we meet of believing in a literal Bible, and it's unfair to do so.

Btodd

When I say that it's reasonable to suspect a Pentecostal candidate for believing in a literal Bible (or more specifically, YEC), your defense is that 'Pentecostal' doesn't automatically equate to 'literal Bible' for any specific individual, even if the denomination's core belief says it's based on such.
Emhasis is mine.

Now you are arguing something entirely different than the point you originally made and I attacked.

For those who think it's paranoia for me (or any other person) to assume that Palin is a YEC, she was a member of Assemblies of God (Pentecostals) for almost 30 years. From their website:

"Assemblies of God believers hold that the Genesis account should be taken literally."

No mention here this is the denomination's core belief. On the basis of this statement, which you retrieved from the organization's website, you concluded it is more likely Sarah Palin, being a Pentacostal/member of an AG church, also believes Genesis should be taken literally, and you understand literally to mean a YEC. (this understanding of literally is rather fallacious, as I take it literally and do not believe in a young earth).

There are several reasons why this form of argument was, is, and remains flawed and fallacious reasoning.

First, since when did the AG website speak for the beliefs of ALL its members? I am a Pentacostal, I am also a member of the AG church, and I can assure it does not speak for me and my beliefs. Furthermore, you have had at least one other AG member/or Pentacostal also state the same thing.

Next, the more serious problem with this line of reasoning has been the correct criticisms made by myself and JamesWright. You deduce it is more likely than not Sarah Palin believes in YEC. This is your conclusion. What is your evidence or reasoning to support such a claim? She is a Pentacostal/and or a member of an AG church. Presumably, a majority believe in YEC (if we are to assume the AG's general remark is accurate). Yet, just because a majority of some group of people profess a belief in X doe not mean a specific individual of this group likewise believes in X and neither does it follow it is more likely than not a specific individual believes in X.

This type of fallacious reasoning was evident in your posts as early as page two.
And finally, has the OP'er been to a Pentecostal church before? Are you suggesting that it isn't likely for her to be a YEC? Pentecostals are VERY literal about the Bible, aside from being frighteningly out of touch with reality (with the speaking in tongues and 'slain in the spirit' stuff).

The argument is flawed. Just because a majority of people who attend a Pentacostal church presumably believe in X, does not mean a specific individual from the same church believes in X or is more likely than not to believe in X. This type of flawed and fallacious reasoning is well documented and philosophy students are instructed, very early on, not to engage in this type of poor argument.

Now let's address your newly qualified argument.

the denomination's core belief says it's based on such.

The AG website can dictate core beliefs all it wants. It does not mean its members are adhering to ALL/MOST/SOME of them or believe in them. It is true, certain paid positions require the individual to attest in the validity of those core beliefs and not express an opinion, while engaged in their official duties, contrary to those core beliefs. This hardly means they believe in ALL of them, every single one of them. In fact, there are a few I know of who disagree with maybe one or two of them. Furthermore, we are talking about the official doctrine of the organization, which is entirely different than the individual members themselves.

In support of this contention, I rely upon language from the AG website itself. These are nonnegotiable tenets of faith that all Assemblies of God churches adhere to. Well, what does this statement mean? Who are they talking about in terms of the "church"? I do not think they are talking about EVERY SINGLE member when they say "church" but rather are referencing the governing body of the church, such as the board of directors, pastor, associate pastor, youth pastor, children's pastor, and so forth, or this group AND a majority of its members so believe. On this basis, does it mean every single member of an AG church adheres to ALL tenets? No.

How, then, can this AG organization dictate what a church is to believe? Because the words "Assemblies of God" is a label, a trademark so to speak, and they can extend it and withdraw it from a church. Do you really think the AG label is applied only after a poll is done of every member in the church and it is revealed all of them have verbally confessed and promised they believe in every single tenet of the AG organization? Hardly. It does not set up lie detector tests at each door every Sunday morning and screen its members to make sure those in attendance are actually telling the truth when they say they believe in the AG beliefs before allowing the church to become a member of the AG organization. What is done, however, is the governing body attests they believe in the organizations fundamental beliefs, and will not preach or express an opinion from the pulpit contrary to them.

A good example of this is the Democratic Party. It would be a profound mistake to assert individual members believe in the pronouncements of the DNC headquarters, even if they are construed as fundamental beliefs.

The reality is, there are people who want to attend church on a regular basis, in an effort to further develop their relationship with the Lord Jesus, for edification and building up, friendship, fraternity, and a sense of family. Among the various churches to attend, the AG is perhaps if not MOST closely alligned with their beliefs, and so they decide to attend and become a member of the AG church. Do they do so on the basis they believe in EVERY tenet the AG organization espouses? No and it is unrealistic, irrational, and unreasonable to believe so. They chose the church because they have the MOST in common with it as opposed to other churches where they have less in common. They chose the AG church, not because EVERYONE of their beliefs are IDENTICAL to those of the AG church/organization, but because they have more in common with the AG church than with other churches.

However, examining the website, we get the following. They have 16 Fundamental Truths, which are non-negotiable. Absent from this list is a LITERAL INERPRETATION of the book of Genesis, much less any explication what a LITERAL INTERPRETATION would constitute.

Then they have what is called the CORE BELIEFS OF THE FELLOWSHIP. There are four of them, and not ONE of them mentions a literal interpretation of Genesis, much less what a literal interpretation would constitute.

My point all along is that it's reasonable to suspect Palin, a member of a Pentecostal, literal Bible promoting church and denomination for 28 years, of believing in a literal Bible. And I would like to hear her discuss it.

Another example of you modifying your argument, and slowly progressing away from the original flawed argument you made. Suspecting is not the same as, you originally claimed, it being more likely than not. Your above claim is more logical, your prior one was not and is not.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟512,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Again, this may not be her camp, but it's the most vocal part of it, and scientists are getting sick of it.

Be clear on this: teaching both in a science class is not an acceptable compromise. Because ID is not science. You don't decide what's science in the high school. You decide it in the labs and lecture halls. The kids get it LAST, after due process has been done and we're sure of what they're being taught. ID has failed utterly at the first fence. Reform the "theory", or accept this outcome.

Again, clarification on this from Palin would be fantastic.

Yes it would but absent any clarification, it is erroneous to conclude she is opposed to scientists, scientific claims, and the scientific method in general on the basis of one disagreement.

If she's too close to the kind of thinking that produced that joke of a movie "Expelled", which equates evolutionary biologists with Nazism and imagines conspiracy at every corner, then it is an impeachment on scientists

Sorry but this is not correct. It is an impeachment of scientists in regards to a specific claim, evolution. Your statement above is too general and broad to be deduced from disagreement with them in regards to a specific and single issue. (which I might also add I disagree because your characterization of the movie is not quite accurate).

scientists are getting sick of it.

So what!

Well, unless Gengwall is Sarah Palin, I'm less concerned about what he says compared to Sarah Palin's view on this, but I'll be surprised if the Palin team has the stones to clarify her position for fear of losing a chunk of that religious vote.

Wait...are you suggesting Sarah Palin may have a view of creation contrary to the belief held by the religious vote here?

This not about what kids are being taught or the viability of ID/Creationism. Joshua W made the same red herring argument.

What I have yet to read, from anyone, and I would be most interested if Matt Damon could do it himself, is how a belief in a young earth, and dinosaurs roaming the planet approximately 4,000 years ago, renders one unfit for the political office of the presidency?

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟512,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Btodd

No, this is NOT what we are talking about and borrowing legalese is not going to help you either. The originally point you made is whether it was more likely than not X is true, not whether it is reasonable to suspect X.

Yes, I find your persistent rephrasing of your argument from, "it is more likely than not this is true of Sarah Palin," to "reasonably suspecting X is true about someone," and treating them as the same, ridiculous.

Or, perhaps you are not treating them the same, have come to the realization the "more likely than not" claim cannot be logically supported by the argument you have made, and have therefore, once again, rephrased your argument to "reasonable suspicion" X is true about Sara Palin, which is a more logically strong position.

All I will say is being "reasonably suspicious" X is true is nothing more than to affirm there is some possibility X is true, where this possibility is less than 50% but greater than zero! Which means, once again, admittedly, you do not know for sure, are not confident over 50%, and consequently, have a 51% or greater chance of being wrong.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yes it would but absent any clarification, it is erroneous to conclude she is opposed to scientists, scientific claims, and the scientific method in general on the basis of one disagreement.

Again, depending on what strain of creationism you subscribe to (and I've yet to see a version that doesn't throw the unrelated areas of cosmology and the age of the earth into the mix somewhere), it's not unreasonable because of the sheer amount of science that gets upended. It doesn't matter whether these people think they're just against evolution, they're more often than not against a lot more.

Sorry but this is not correct. It is an impeachment of scientists in regards to a specific claim, evolution. Your statement above is too general and broad to be deduced from disagreement with them in regards to a specific and single issue. (which I might also add I disagree because your characterization of the movie is not quite accurate).

How exactly would you characterise this movie then? There is no conspiracy. Evolution is not responsible for Nazism. There is nothing to impeach. Disagreement does not require impeachment, but thanks for admitting that's what it was.

So maybe LISTEN to them for a change, instead of undermining them at every turn! Many of them are US citizens too, in case that had escaped you. If every 6-dayer feels they have a right to be heard, the actual scientists sure as hell do.

Wait...are you suggesting Sarah Palin may have a view of creation contrary to the belief held by the religious vote here?

I'm saying that due to the number of strains of creationism, and given how stubborn their supporters often are, to come out in favour of one strain would put Palin at risk of alienating the supporters of the other strains. The "dinosaurs 4000 years ago" line is one thing, however I've never seen any ID supporter talk about the age of the earth, because if they say anything other than 6000 years, bang goes the support from the YEC camp.

What I have yet to read, from anyone, and I would be most interested if Matt Damon could do it himself, is how a belief in a young earth, and dinosaurs roaming the planet approximately 4,000 years ago, renders one unfit for the political office of the presidency?

Given that "out of touch" has been thrown around a lot this election campaign, being out of touch with reality is usually a lot worse.

Tell me this: would you vote for a flat-earther? Would you vote for a geocentrist? They're as wrong, y'know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟512,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Given that "out of touch" has been thrown around a lot this election campaign, being out of touch with reality is usually a lot worse.

Tell me this: would you vote for a flat-earther? Would you vote for a geocentrist? They're as wrong, y'know.

Again, depending on what strain of creationism you subscribe to (and I've yet to see a version that doesn't throw the unrelated areas of cosmology and the age of the earth into the mix somewhere), it's not unreasonable because of the sheer amount of science that gets upended. It doesn't matter whether these people think they're just against evolution, they're more often than not against a lot more.

How much more? Really, this "let's bust out the scale of measurement and if you are against X amount, well then you are against scientists entirely," is problematic. So what if she does not believe in an ancient universe, and evolution, does this make her anti-science? No. Does this make her anti-scientific method? No. Does this make her unfit for the office of the presidency? No, and nobody has made a good argument rationally relating the two.

How exactly would you characterise this movie then? There is no conspiracy. Evolution is not responsible for Nazism. There is nothing to impeach. Disagreement does not require impeachment, but thanks for admitting that's what it was.

Well, Ben Stein, in the movie, explicitly disclaimed evolution can or would lead to the type of genocide experienced during the Third Reich, and denied evolution was a justification for it.

As to the conspiracy charge, I find the use of the word "conspiracy" to be hyperbole and a more accurate phrasing would be, according to the movie, some in the scientific community oppressing the truth.

So maybe LISTEN to them for a change, instead of undermining them at every turn! Many of them are US citizens too, in case that had escaped you. If every 6-dayer feels they have a right to be heard, the actual scientists sure as hell do.

Sarah Palin and the religious right is not undermining them at every turn, this is more exaggeration. They are not out in the streets contesting scientific knowledge about viruses, bacteria or how to treat them, gravity, atomic energy, atoms, protons, electrons, ionic bonds, isotopes, how the brain works, human reproduction, and I can go on and on.

Scientists are being heard, they are not being silenced, and there is no serious threat to silence them.

I'm saying that due to the number of strains of creationism, and given how stubborn their supporters often are, to come out in favour of one strain would put Palin at risk of alienating the supporters of the other strains.

Well, there are only two forms of creationism, YEC and OEC, the only difference between the two is the time when earth was created, and when man and living animals appeared. Otherwise, the YEC/OEC believe in the Genesis account of creation and I am dubious were Palin to say she was believed in OEC this would alienate YEC, or vice versa, because, after all, they are still "creationists."

This is different than theistic evolution, which is not "creationism." So if something is precluding her from speaking, I do not think this is it.

I've never seen any ID supporter talk about the age of the earth, because if they say anything other than 6000 years, bang goes the support from the YEC camp

Well, this is interesting because ID is not an endorsement of the Genesis account, whereas YEC is predicated upon belief in the Genesis account. So I am wondering why an ID supporter seeks to have the support of a group of people whose fundamentally important belief is not shared by the ID proponent?

ell me this: would you vote for a flat-earther? Would you vote for a geocentrist? They're as wrong, y'know.

This is not the proper question. The proper question is does either, or both, make them unfit for office? In my view, in and of themselves, no (although a flat earth proponent may when it came to deploying combat troops and how and this is particularly relevant since the president is Commander in Chief of the armed forces).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
How much more? Really, this "let's bust out the scale of measurement and if you are against X amount, well then you are against scientists entirely," is problematic. So what if she does not believe in an ancient universe, and evolution, does this make her anti-science?

The point I'm making is, having a problem with the ancient universe and evolution means you automatically have a problem with a lot more areas of science, especially depending on the ideas you use. For example:

Sarah Palin and the religious right is not undermining them at every turn, this is more exaggeration. They are not out in the streets contesting scientific knowledge about viruses, bacteria or how to treat them, gravity, atomic energy, atoms, protons, electrons, ionic bonds, isotopes, how the brain works, human reproduction, and I can go on and on.

Germ Theory? Atomic Theory? Theory of gravity?

"These are theories, they're not facts!"

Does this make her anti-scientific method? No. Does this make her unfit for the office of the presidency? No, and nobody has made a good argument rationally relating the two.

Given the implications of the above example, which part of "out of touch with reality" aren't you understanding?

Well, Ben Stein, in the movie, explicitly disclaimed evolution can or would lead to the type of genocide experienced during the Third Reich, and denied evolution was a justification for it.

Right, all the while in every interview he gave pushing the same tired old view that Darwinism (sic) leads inevitably to social Darwinism. He may not have come out and actually said it, but heavy implication is little difference.

As to the conspiracy charge, I find the use of the word "conspiracy" to be hyperbole and a more accurate phrasing would be, according to the movie, some in the scientific community oppressing the truth.

Oppression involves conspiracy. And yet it was Stein who misled the interviewees about the purposes of the film and either twisted their points or laughed at stuff that was beyond his comprehension.

Scientists are being heard, they are not being silenced, and there is no serious threat to silence them.

Scientists don't want to silence creationism either. They just want people to realise that it is not science and has no place in an education system that is already struggling to teach established science without pandering to the children of the religious.

Well, there are only two forms of creationism, YEC and OEC, the only difference between the two is the time when earth was created, and when man and living animals appeared. Otherwise, the YEC/OEC believe in the Genesis account of creation and I am dubious were Palin to say she was believed in OEC this would alienate YEC, or vice versa, because, after all, they are still "creationists." This is different than theistic evolution, which is not "creationism." So if something is precluding her from speaking, I do not think this is it.

Well, you may be right on that, not that it does creationism any good. As a Christian who is a theistic evolutionist, whose faith is offensively and needlessly called into question on a regular basis by people from these other groups, you'll forgive me if I'm not convinced that creationism isn't more about factions and politicing than actual scientific/religious discussion.

Well, this is interesting because ID is not an endorsement of the Genesis account, whereas YEC is predicated upon belief in the Genesis account. So I am wondering why an ID supporter seeks to have the support of a group of people whose fundamentally important belief is not shared by the ID proponent?

I thought you couldn't decide a person's belief based on the group they belonged to?

That aside, ID and YEC are cosy because the goal of ID isn't science, but rubbishing evolution, cf. wedge document, which is the common goal of both YEC and ID. I don't think it matters how crazy the ideas spouted seem to either group, anything to spit in the eye of the "evilutionists".

This is not the proper question. The proper question is does either, or both, make them unfit for office? In my view, in and of themselves, no (although a flat earth proponent may when it came to deploying combat troops and how and this is particularly relevant since the president is Commander in Chief of the armed forces).

Honestly, I think this is more relevant for the right wing voters. Yet another example of "issue politics" and "small town values" that will be instantly forgotten about once they've acquired your votes. I find it quite amusing that the current administration has overseen dozens of education board debates that have sought to undermine the teaching of evolution, and yet there is an increasing biotech industry that relies on it every day, some of it even operating out of the same states that wish to stop such an important scientific principle from being taught properly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Corey

Veteran
Mar 7, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟18,987.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How much more? Really, this "let's bust out the scale of measurement and if you are against X amount, well then you are against scientists entirely," is problematic. So what if she does not believe in an ancient universe, and evolution, does this make her anti-science? No. Does this make her anti-scientific method? No. Does this make her unfit for the office of the presidency? No, and nobody has made a good argument rationally relating the two.

I sense something wrong with your post above...let's see if I can fix it.

Fixed said:
So what if she does not believe in an ancient universe, and evolution, does this make her anti-science? Yes. Does this make her anti-scientific method? Yes. Does this make her unfit for the office of the presidency? Potentially, and nobody has made a good argument rationally relating the two.

I further note that have not addressed my point. As she noted "teach both," it betrays a reliance on ideology in place of empirical data. That is troubling because it begs the question of when else would she do that. The full post is on page 11.

Actually...evolution is based upon the fields that each topic above is listed in. Any assault on evolution by default is attacking the basic science that underlies it (e.g., radiometric dating and principles of quantum physics).

Well, there are only two forms of creationism, YEC and OEC, the only difference between the two is the time when earth was created, and when man and living animals appeared. Otherwise, the YEC/OEC believe in the Genesis account of creation and I am dubious were Palin to say she was believed in OEC this would alienate YEC, or vice versa, because, after all, they are still "creationists."

ID is creationism as well. Look up "cdesign proponentists."

ACtually, ID is a trojan horse for creationism. See above. Also look up "Wedge Document."

It does make them potentially unfit...see above.

Upvote 0