Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Audience: Jesus’ Disciples, in Mark only 4 are mentioned. In Luke, Peter & the Crowd.
Matthew 24:45-51
Mark 13:32-37
Luke 12:41-48

Note: Be sure to read all chapters for important background and context to see what Jesus is saying.

In Matthew, this reminds me a bit of Joseph back in Genesis. He was a good slave/servant of God despite having 13 years of a hellish life on earth. When his brothers meant for his death, God made it for his good and Joseph’s vision from God came to fruition: Genesis 37

In Mark the parable mentions that the Master goes on a long journey… very similar to the parable of the Tenant Farmers, but with more emphasis on being alert ourselves of His arrival. What will He find some of us doing?

Luke has 2 parables of the same tones that Matthew and Mark have as a single parable. It’s interesting that it is broken up with way, as if to emphasize both Master and Servant events.

It’s clear that Jesus expects more from those who have more responsibility, like being a shepard to His flock - and especially this high position. If they don’t follow through His will then they will be severely punished because they know better. For those that don’t know and do things deserving of punishment, they will receive a light punishment. This is certainly the Righteousness of God’s Judgment. It’s like how an older sibling will act while the younger sibling doesn’t yet know, the older should know better than the younger one who does not yet know better, but is learning.

Jesus doesn’t just tell us to be on alert for Him, but also warns us about Hell - and it’s clear He doesn’t want that for anyone since He took our place on the cross! If you read the chapters, He also lets us know about the season of His return, and just as He Himself didn’t know then we also don’t know the day or hour of His return. Which I believe is why He was and still is adamant about being watchful and on alert. Jesus doesn’t want us to miss anything and to also be ready.
Jesus didn’t hesitate to tell His disciples what they questioned Him about, and freely gave. They might not have understood right away due to the Holy Spirit wasn’t yet given, but they did come to a season of understanding when things were fulfilled through Christ. Much the same is it for us today, and as it was in the Old Testament as well, when we ask in His name sometimes the answer God gives us is not something we can understand right away. Sometimes it takes a season as it did for Jesus’ disciples. :yellowheart:

Reactions: K2K

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I learned something yesterday when I was talking to my dad. Something in my heart I felt conviction of. As a Christian I know what not to do and what God loves from His people. I didn’t realize that knowing what I shouldn’t do, I was inwardly projecting that onto those outside of God. I got too caught up in things I ought not to do and forgot to not judge those who are outside of Him. I should’ve known better. I guess this is a perfect example of today's parable.

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really nice OP

Jesus Christ is the King of kings and Lord of lords, and we are supposed to know Him as our Lord too!!

To actually know Him as Lord, we have to be able to get instructions from Him. Now, some think I am talking about reading the Bible, but Paul (and Moses) explained that the Word of God we preached was near us, in your hearts and our mouth. So while we need to read and study the Scriptures, still the Word of God in found in us - simply because the Spirit of God speaks to our spirit - personally He speaks to us.

So there is a connection between hearing Him speak to us via His Holy Spirit and Him being our Lord, and you see this in Paul's writings.

Rm 10:8 But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,

So in Rm 10:8 tells us the Word is near us and is found in your mouth and heart, so that is where we find the words God personally speaks to us - and the very next verse then tells you that results in confessing Him as your Lord.

Rom 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

So if you do indeed hear Him and His words, you are going to get instructions for Him like a Lord or Master, gives to a servant!!! That is what it means to be confessing Him to by your Lord!

Of course the new Christian would not be expected to hear and know this as well as the Christian who as been hearing Him for a long time!!!

Upvote 0