Home
✟10,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
does anybody know how old Mary was when she was impregnated with Jesus?

becuase I heard from someone that she was 16, and from others that she was 13 or 14. IF she was that young, then why are christians so repulsed about the idea of a 16 year old getting married these days?

and i tell you what, I have my doubts as to wheather a girl is ready for marrige at that age. maybe it should be 17. or is it 18... i think its 17 for marrige, and 18 for inappropriate contentography.

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
becuase I heard from someone that she was 16, and from others that she was 13 or 14. IF she was that young, then why are christians so repulsed about the idea of a 16 year old getting married these days?

Culture differences. There's a big difference between then and now.

And she was probably in her teens, yes. That was probably normal back then. Mary's situation was probably no different from the situation of many other women in those times.

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My study Bible says 13 or 14 because that is the age most girls back then would have been betrothed and she was to Joseph. They were not married yet they were at the stage were they could only break the contract with divorce but they had not yet consummated therefore were not married yet. The difference between her having a child at that age then and a girl having a baby at that age today is that a girl would have been married back then. Meaning she had a husband to provide for her emotionally and financially a girl that young today does not have a husband is going at it alone. Also back then women had to fully rely on men for money for everything women were not educated back then. Women can be educated today and can handle their own money there is not reason to have a child at 13 or 14 anymore. Not to mention they had children so young then because you were lucky to live to 40 years old people live way longer now.

A girl can have a child that young now but it is not what is the best for the child the father is almost never in the picture the finances are terrible. And it is just not needed for girls to become pregnant that young anymore things were very different back then.

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jewish tradition holds that a young man or young woman comes of age at 13. Hence the celebrations of the bar mitzvah for boys and the bat mitzvah for girls. In the first century, it wasn't a tradition, it was real. They were expected to assume the role of adults on their 13th birthdays.

Upvote 0
P

Publius

does anybody know how old Mary was when she was impregnated with Jesus?

My mom was married on her 16th birthday. She and my dad had to drive to Mississippi because that was the only state that would allow her to marry so young.

I don't know anybody who's repulsed by it. It may seem a little strange in our society, but if you go back just 100 years, "child brides" were not uncommon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums