Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Reading one of the threads below, and a comment caught me eye about Mary. The poster mentioned Mary Magdalane being possessed and doing tricks (prostitution). However, I thought that the Mary at the "well" was not Mary Magdalane, that she was another Mary and thought she was human, sinning as a human, not from possession? Anyone care to clear this up for me? Maybe Im missing something :sigh:

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Reading one of the threads below, and a comment caught me eye about Mary. The poster mentioned Mary Magdalane being possessed and doing tricks (prostitution). However, I thought that the Mary at the "well" was not Mary Magdalane, that she was another Mary and thought she was human, sinning as a human, not from possession? Anyone care to clear this up for me? Maybe Im missing something :sigh:
Some church traditions have Mary Magdalene as a former prostitute, but there's no Scripture to support that.

However, Jesus did drive seven demons out from her. Luke 8:2, Mark 16:9.

The Woman at the Well was a Samaritan. Mary Magdalene was not.

Another story sometimes confused with Mary Magdalene is the woman caught in adultery, whom Jesus rescued from stoning. But that woman is not called Mary, or given any name at all.

Mary Magdalene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

united4Peace

Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Some church traditions have Mary Magdalene as a former prostitute, but there's no Scripture to support that.

However, Jesus did drive seven demons out from her. Luke 8:2, Mark 16:9.

The Woman at the Well was a Samaritan. Mary Magdalene was not.

Another story sometimes confused with Mary Magdalene is the woman caught in adultery, whom Jesus rescued from stoning. But that woman is not called Mary, or given any name at all.

Mary Magdalene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ahhh Thankyou Isdaari!!

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

Mary Magdalene appears to have been one of Jesus' inner circle. The eastern Church refers to her as equal to the apostles.

Upvote 0

rayodeluz

Inadaptado
May 25, 2010
✟15,583.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Yes I have heard that...some believe she was the apostles that was with him at the end? right?

This is a pretty interesting partial excerpt from BBC - Religions - Christianity: Mary Magdalene :

The Gospel of Mary

The reason why she is not (recognized as an apostle) perhaps lies in another long lost apocryphal text. In a Cairo bazaar in 1896, a German scholar happened to come across a curious papyrus book. Bound in leather and written in Coptic, this was the Gospel of Mary.

Like the books found at Nag Hammadi, the Gospel according to Mary Magdalene is also considered an apocryphal text. The story it contains begins some time after the resurrection. The disciples have just had a vision of Jesus.

Jesus has encouraged his disciples to go out and preach his teachings to the world, but they are afraid to do so because he was killed for it, and they say "if they killed him, they are going to kill us too". It's Mary who steps forward and says: don't be worried, he promised he would be with us to protect us. It says she turns their hearts toward the good and they begin to discuss the words of the Saviour.

In texts like the Gospel of Philip, Mary was presented as a symbol of wisdom. However in the Gospel of Mary, she is the one in charge, telling the disciples about Jesus' teachings.

Magdalena in Meditation by Jan Lievens © At this point Peter asks Mary to tell them some things that she might have heard, but which the other disciples haven't. She says "Yes, I will tell you what has been hidden from you". She talks about a vision she had of Jesus and a conversation that she had with him. As the Gospel tells it, Mary then relates the details of this conversation, which is to do with spiritual development and the soul's lifelong battle with evil.

At this point controversy arises, and Andrew steps in and says "well, I don't know what the rest of you think, but these things seem very strange to me, and it seems that she's telling us teachings that are different from the Saviour." Peter then chimes in and he says, "Are we supposed to now all turn around and listen to her? Would Jesus have spoken privately with a woman rather than openly to us? Did he prefer her to us?"

Matthew defends Mary and quells Peter's attack on her. In the text, Peter's problem seems to be that Jesus selected Mary above the other disciples to interpret his teachings. Peter sees Mary as a rival for the leadership of the group itself.

Peter need not have feared. Most people think of Peter as the rock upon which the church was established. He is the main or major disciple figure, and Mary Magdalene is a kind of side figure in the cast of characters.

One of the absolutely fascinating things about the Gospel of Mary is it really asks us to rethink that story about Christian history: did all the disciples get it? Did they really understand and preach the truth?

Perhaps the Gospel of Mary was just too radical. It presents Mary as a teacher and spiritual guide to the other disciples. She's not just a disciple; she's the apostle to the apostles.

Reactions: united4Peace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
rayodeluz said:
This is a pretty interesting partial excerpt from BBC - Religions - Christianity: Mary Magdalene :

The Gospel of Mary

The reason why she is not (recognized as an apostle) perhaps lies in another long lost apocryphal text. In a Cairo bazaar in 1896, a German scholar happened to come across a curious papyrus book. Bound in leather and written in Coptic, this was the Gospel of Mary.

Like the books found at Nag Hammadi, the Gospel according to Mary Magdalene is also considered an apocryphal text. The story it contains begins some time after the resurrection. The disciples have just had a vision of Jesus.

Jesus has encouraged his disciples to go out and preach his teachings to the world, but they are afraid to do so because he was killed for it, and they say "if they killed him, they are going to kill us too". It's Mary who steps forward and says: don't be worried, he promised he would be with us to protect us. It says she turns their hearts toward the good and they begin to discuss the words of the Saviour.

In texts like the Gospel of Philip, Mary was presented as a symbol of wisdom. However in the Gospel of Mary, she is the one in charge, telling the disciples about Jesus' teachings.

Magdalena in Meditation by Jan Lievens © At this point Peter asks Mary to tell them some things that she might have heard, but which the other disciples haven't. She says "Yes, I will tell you what has been hidden from you". She talks about a vision she had of Jesus and a conversation that she had with him. As the Gospel tells it, Mary then relates the details of this conversation, which is to do with spiritual development and the soul's lifelong battle with evil.

At this point controversy arises, and Andrew steps in and says "well, I don't know what the rest of you think, but these things seem very strange to me, and it seems that she's telling us teachings that are different from the Saviour." Peter then chimes in and he says, "Are we supposed to now all turn around and listen to her? Would Jesus have spoken privately with a woman rather than openly to us? Did he prefer her to us?"

Matthew defends Mary and quells Peter's attack on her. In the text, Peter's problem seems to be that Jesus selected Mary above the other disciples to interpret his teachings. Peter sees Mary as a rival for the leadership of the group itself.

Peter need not have feared. Most people think of Peter as the rock upon which the church was established. He is the main or major disciple figure, and Mary Magdalene is a kind of side figure in the cast of characters.

One of the absolutely fascinating things about the Gospel of Mary is it really asks us to rethink that story about Christian history: did all the disciples get it? Did they really understand and preach the truth?

Perhaps the Gospel of Mary was just too radical. It presents Mary as a teacher and spiritual guide to the other disciples. She's not just a disciple; she's the apostle to the apostles.
It looks rather too much like the very obvious and unsubtle technique for trying to say "trust this book and not the other (canonical) ones". Similar to what happens in other gnostic texts like Thomas.

I dont see anything radical in the text at all - just the same old gnostic non-Gospel.

Upvote 0