Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TREVIGNANO ROMANO, Italy (CNS) — An Italian woman who claims to regularly experience supernatural visions said Mary told her in September 2019 that a new disease would soon emerge from China.

“Pray for China, because new diseases will come from there, all ready to infect the air by unknown bacteria,” wrote Gisella Cardia in a message she alleges came from Mary.

On the third of every month, hundreds of Italians flock to Trevignano Romano, a small town 30 miles from Rome, to pray the rosary with Cardia. The gathering takes place in an open field atop a cliff overlooking Lake Bracciano. A blue cross and large, encased statue of Mary are the focal points of an array of lawn chairs and benches to accommodate pilgrims.

Continued below.
Mary foretold COVID-19 pandemic, alleged visionary claims

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oddly, the article neither links to their site nor even gives us the text of the prophecy. You can find it here:
LA MADONNA DI TREVIGNANO ROMANO MARIA MADRE DI CRISTO CORREDENTRICE PER LA SALVEZZA DELL’UMANITA’: MESSAGGI SETTEMBRE 2019

Unfortunately, blog posts can be edited, so I don't know if it can be proven this was actually what it said before COVID hit. I went to the Wayback Machine to see if maybe it could demonstrate it as being earlier, but it only goes back to February 26, by which point COVID was known. There were some comments on the post that were back in September of that year. However, none of them seem to make any mention of the China part, and thus cannot be considered as witnesses to it having been there originally.

But what was the text of the prophecy? The applicable portion is:

"Trevignano Romano, 28 settembre 2019
Amati figli miei, grazie per aver ascoltato la mia chiamata nel vostro cuore. Pregate, pregate, pregate per la pace e per ciò che vi attende. Pregate per la Cina perché da lì arriveranno le nuove malattie, tutto già pronto per influenzare l'aria da batteri sconosciuti. Pregate per la Russia perché la guerra e prossima. Pregate per l'America, ormai è in grande declino. Pregate per la Chiesa, perché i combattenti stanno arrivando e l'attacco sarà disastroso, non lasciatevi plagiare dai lupi travestiti da agnelli, tutto, presto avrà una grande svolta. Guardate il cielo, vedrete i segni della fine dei tempi. Io sarò con voi fino alla fine della preghiera. Ora vi benedico nel nome del Padre, del Figlio dello Spirito Santo, Amen”."

The most relevant portion is bolded, which translates out to (according to Google Translate at any rate) "Pray for China because the new diseases will come from there, all ready to affect the air from unknown bacteria."

I'm going to have to say I'm skeptical of this being a real prophecy. First, statistically speaking it's of reasonable probability a disease will come from China by virtue of its high population, so I don't think you can get points just for that; you need something more specific. Indeed, I actually saw someone who boasted about predicting the Coronavirus, pointing to a prophecy they gave last year about a disease coming from China... but if you looked at the original full prophecy rather than the edited version they showed, you'd notice they made more specific claims about the disease that were dead wrong, meaning they just got statistically lucky on the "disease from China" part.

And a lot of people throw out predictions, so by the law of averages some will turn out right. I'm sure there were plenty of people last year who claimed there would be a major illness from Africa, from Europe, from India, or some other place. But since there was one in China, those predictions suddenly got focused on and the incorrect ones ignored.

Beyond those considerations, there is one other thing to note. The prediction offered here said it would be bacteria. But the Coronavirus is a virus, as the name says. Now maybe in Italian the term "bacteria" is more expansive than in English but if it has the same basic meaning, that would seem to actually disprove the prophecy, as it predicted bacteria rather than virus.

So while I wouldn't fully write it off as a prophecy, I don't think there's sufficient evidence to consider it authentic (even if people were giving completely random predictions, by the law of averages some would say "disease from China")--and at least some evidence against it being authentic (its apparent inaccuracy in predicting it to be a bacteria rather than a virus).

Upvote 0