Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I am concerned for those that make the choice to marry young - In my mind that's marrying before you are 26. I have reasons for thinking this way:
  • I think its very important to develop financial independence (especially for women). To that end getting an education and commencing a career is important for both your own security and the development of your intellect and sophistication as a human being.
  • Younger years are for exploring - Its an exciting time to see what the world and life has to offer, and to do so on your own terms - not as a couple. Travel, meeting people, love and excitement. These are not to be missed.
  • It is wise not to proceed to marriage too quickly. It takes time to truly know an individual and the capacity to deal with good and bad times alike. It also takes time to understand if this person is truly your advocate because statistics would show that too many end up a foe. I would recommend living with the person first, though I recognise that for some, this will not fit within the confines of some Christian principles.
  • I actually think its wise to "shop around" and not just jump in with the first person you fall in love with.
  • Mostly though - these years are the best years - I don't want to be dragged into a marriage or serious de facto relationship at that point.

Last edited:

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I personally don't think its a good idea to marry when you know you haven't established yourself financially....and 21 is still immature (IMO of course). Marrying poor and young places women at risk (I'm talking in principle not your marriage per se)

Please also note - this is for teen discussion and not open for comments from to those who are over 19.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: Neal82
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Well I think that's the point in question isnt it. The more immature you are, the less capable you are as an individual, then the less capable you are as a partner. preparing yourself in your adulthood educationally and career-wise is a valuable start. But simply getting life and relationship experience must be also valuable experience to help you develop as an individual.

Marrying at 18, for example, when you have just left highschool, is a mistake.

• Agree
Reactions: Neal82
Upvote 0

theoneandonlypencil

Partial preterist, dispensationalist molinist
Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am concerned for those that make the choice to marry young - In my mind that's marrying before you are 26. I have reasons for thinking this way:

Already going to interrupt for a moment and bring up something; Women's fertility begins to drop anywhere from their late 20's to 30/early 30's. Unless you aren't planning on having many kids(or anything at all), this is already something to be aware of.

• I think its very important to develop financial independence (especially for women). To that end getting an education and commencing a career is important for both your own security and the development of your intellect and sophistication as a human being.

College does not equal success, for one. Second, there is no 'good time financially' to get settled or have children. The only exceptions being the homeless or those who literally just don't make enough money(which, if you did any looking into how many ways all of us waste money on a daily basis, you'd see how it can be dealt with efficiently). In fact, the majority of money problems from a new marriage actually come from debt due to over-the-top extravagant 'dream weddings.

Third, college nor a high-end career is going to make you more intellectual or sophisticated as a human being. It just so happens that, coincidentally, a lot of truly intellectually sophisticated people have a strong thirst for knowledge and tend to be hard working. Not that it is a requirement.

• Younger years are for exploring - Its an exciting time to see what the world and life has to offer, and to do so on your own terms - not as a couple. Travel, meeting people, love and excitement. These are not to be missed.

'Not as a couple'? Unless of course, you're married to either a potato sack nailed down to the floor of your apartment or a control-freak handcuffing you to your bedpost...what on earth can you not do while being in a relationship besides dating other people? Many, MANY young couples enjoy travel, socializing and enjoying their youth--if they're keeping each other from these things, it is an individual problem and in my opinion, seems likely to be more of an issue among the older crowd that is past the 'excitement' stage.

• It is wise not to proceed to marriage too quickly. It takes time to truly know an individual and the capacity to deal with good and bad times alike. It also takes time to understand if this person is truly your advocate because statistics would show that too many end up a foe. I would recommend living with the person first, though I recognise that for some, this will not fit within the confines of some Christian principles.

Statistics for divorce also show that the leading cause can be from anything as easily avoidable as infidelity, miscommunications and money problems...to 'falling out of love' or lack of individuality. All of these are quite simple to prevent, giving that one is willing. The problem lies within the fact that we live in a 'me me me' society, where many people simply don't understand or don't care about others on a deep level; only what keeps them happy and vibin'.

Maturity is not a magical switch in your brain caused by chemicals. It is earned by experience and turned into wisdom. A lot of the younger generation also has problems with this due to(I would assume)living in a time and place(at least in more progressive countries)where the worry and stress of day-to-day life are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than they ever have been. You know, sometimes I think a lot of our problems crop up out of a need for something to fix. It seems like many people these days are 'sheeple' and not capable of even a single original thought past what would benefit them for that temporal moment in time.

To sum up, you don't really need to live with dave for a year to find out whether or not you can truly deal with his forgetting to leave the toilet seat down or the snarky remarks he sometimes makes when upset. There's a lot more I can say on those topics, but that would be a lot more than what I already have.

(Side note: I don't think it's wrong, however, to date one person for a while in order to 'get a feel' for who they are. Sex is an unwise idea though--in fact, I'd go out on a limb and say people these days have so much sex before marriage that it blinds them to the issues with the relationship until it's too late and the marriage bells have already tolled.

...also did I mention that the domestic abuse rate is higher for people cohabitating together as opposed to being married?)

• I actually think its wise to "shop around" and not just jump in with the first person you fall in love with.

It is not wise to 'shop around' in the sense that you feel the need to date [x or y] amount of people in order to 'qualify' as being experienced enough to settle. Not only could you potentially miss out on the greatest person to walk into your life, but you can easily develop commitment issues as well. Times this by about 5 if you have sex during those times, too(for reasons previously listed).

Now if you mean you shouldn't try to marry your first boyfriend/girlfriend as soon as possible when you haven't even been dating very long...yeah, I would agree that's a bad idea.

• Mostly though - these years are the best years - I don't want to be dragged into a marriage or serious de facto relationship at that point.

'Me me me' again. You know, it's fine if you don't think marriage is for you at this stage in your life. But to make such a bold statement that it's unwise for ANYONE under the age of 26 to be married is absolutely ludacris. If you see marriage as a burden or something to be 'dragged into', you've either already developed the 'commitment issues' I mentioned earlier(the common root cause of 'is the grass really greener on the other side' syndrome)or you just don't get what real marriage is yet. Marriage is not about marrying someone you like all the time; the kind of love you should aim for is unconditional. You love them because they are who they are, faults and all--not because they make you happy all the time or they have an award-winning personality. And that kind of thinking is achieved only when you first learn to love people sincerely and train yourself to be kind even when it is very difficult...something that parents should've been disciplining their children to do the moment they could comprehend it, tbh.

This is also coming from a 19-year-old who is to-be-married to her 18-year-old boyfriend who was my best friend for almost 5 years now. We love each other dearly and embrace the weird quirks each of us have--and love to share our hobbies and passions with one another. We've often regularly talked for upwards of 6-11+ hours a day since we've known each other, without getting tired of it.

Both of us are immature in our own rights but...you know, it's a lot less scary and easy to manage when you're actually honest about it and try to help one another instead of pretending like our issues are just because of our age, and nothing to do with the fact that most of the time the root cause is selfishness and unwilling to put in the work it takes to take hold of one's self and mold it to your liking.

There is a lot more to life than finances and catching fish.

//sorry for the long ramble

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

theoneandonlypencil

Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I think that's the point in question isnt it. The more immature you are, the less capable you are as an individual, then the less capable you are as a partner. preparing yourself in your adulthood educationally and career-wise is a valuable start. But simply getting life and relationship experience must be also valuable experience to help you develop as an individual.

Marrying at 18, for example, when you have just left highschool, is a mistake.

Side note mk.2: There is nothing to be had in college or the workforce that will prepare you for marriage as opposed to gaining the experience firsthand.

Marrying at 18 might be a mistake to most now, but I think it's safe to say that's a very recent trend...considering all of the couples who married either right after, or very soon after high school in the past generations and made it 20, some all the way up to 60 years together.

Dare I say the temptation of having divorce so socially acceptable now makes it more enticing to take the 'easy way out'?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Tom I'm sticking to my original point.

I believe its very poor advice implying marrying young is advisable.
I equally think its poor advice to say that age has nothing to do with emotional and intellectual maturity.

There's an abundance of the research out there that doesn't support your belief. I'll leave it at that.

But perhaps I can make a simple illustration that I doubt you believe it also - A 16-year-old telephones you - he says he's running for the office of Congressman. I'm pretty sure you will think he's too young to possess the requisite intellectual and emotional/social skills to do well in the job - and you'd be right.

My point - I believe it inappropriate and harmful to advise teens that they should marry young and that they are just as wise/mature as any 26 year old.

• Agree
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

theoneandonlypencil

Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tom I'm sticking to my original point.

I believe its very poor advice implying marrying young is advisable.
I equally think its poor advice to say that age has nothing to do with emotional and intellectual maturity.

There's an abundance of the research out there that doesn't support your belief. I'll leave it at that.

But perhaps I can make a simple illustration that I doubt you believe it also - A 16-year-old telephones you - he says he's running for the office of Congressman. I'm pretty sure you will think he's too young to possess the requisite intellectual and emotional/social skills to do well in the job - and you'd be right.

My point - I believe it inappropriate and harmful to advise teens that they should marry young and that they are just as wise/mature as any 26 year old.

You're comparing marriage to running for the office of congressman? And even more than that...you're implying that emotional and social skills are the only components that matter in being a congress member?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
19-year-old who is to-be-married to her 18-year-old boyfriend

There's a lot I'd normally say to your posts - But as you're marrying - ie made your choice, I want to be respectful of that choice and not challenge you.

I do wanna say that I'm a little freaked out for you - But I'll leave it at that and just gently ask - what's the hurry. There is something to be gained by completing your education first and stabilizing both your positions within the workforce. There's no rush - you only just finished Highschool

There is nothing to be had in college or the workforce that will prepare you for marriage as opposed to gaining the experience firsthand.

Well - That's terribly poor information to teens but I'll leave off - out of respect for you.

Sex is an unwise idea though--in fact, I'd go out on a limb and say people these days have so much sex before marriage

Discussing sex is against the Teen forum. While I disagree with your sentiment it's NOT to be discussed. Please don't continue to discuss sex in this thread, we'll both end up with a warning.

That said - I would encourage you to live together first.(Though I understand that may be against either your religious or cultural beliefs) It's one thing that you decide what movies or what restaurant you want to visit, and yes you chat a lot - Its wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy different when now you have to share domestic duties, pay bills - Living together is NOT NEARLY the same as hanging out, no matter how long you've been doing it for.

That said - I respect your choice.

One last thing - As I said I dont wanna hammer the points you raised - Its good for teens to see another perspective BUT I must correct one point which is both incorrect and a dangerous view:
You stated that violence is more likely in unmarried coupling - That is Most incorrect, both in my country and yours. In fact its the other way around and I became super worried for you that you might have a belief that if you marry then the issues of domestic abuse are unlikely or less likely. This just isn't the case. In point of fact the grind associated with money, sexual relationships, esteem etc etc heighten the longer a marriage goes on - AND its very important you understand that DV is not just about violence - its about financial abuse, verbal abuse, isolation, controlling.

Please don't push that view to other teens. Please refer to the local justice stats in your area. I volunteer in a women's refuge and my mother is a psychologist who deals with victims of abuse. Please read a little about this before you marry.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You're comparing marriage to running for the office of congressman? And even more than that...you're implying that emotional and social skills are the only components that matter in being a congress member?
Exactly - You get it - Would that person be mature enough at 15 or 16 or 17 or 18...... The point you have come to realise is - Yes age is a determinant of emotional and intellectual maturity

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I feel I need to double down t my fellow teens
Please -
  • Get educated to the highest level you are able.
  • Get a career. To the girls - gee this is super important. You need to ensure you are capable of financial independence. If you dont - You have no education and skills, and 10 years later things go wrong - you will find it very hard to escape your position.
  • hanging out with someone isn't knowing them. If your culture permits it - live with that person first. When you start paying bills, arguing over domestic duties, running out of money - that's when the test of your Compatability comes to be tested.
  • Don't be in a rush. There's lots to experience, whether with a b/f or g/f or single. Don't be in a rush. Experience what's out there.
:) This is just my view BUT there's a pile of research on what happens in young marriages. So....dont accept my view or anyone else's for that matter - do a little research :) AND have fun
Boop Boop
Zoii

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theoneandonlypencil

Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's a lot I'd normally say to you posts - But as you marrying - ie made your choice, I want to be respectful of that choice and not challenge you.

Thank you, but the sentiment is lost a little bit when you vehemently insist that everyone under 26(an oddly specific number, given the official 'adult' age scientifically is actually closer to 30)is too immature to marry.

I do wanna say that I'm a little freaked out for you - But I'll leave it at that and just gently ask - what's the hurry. There is something to be gained by completing your education first and stabilizing both your positions within the workforce. There's no rush - you only just finished Highschool

I'm not hurrying anything. Actually, I'm sick of the 'dating' stage and crave real commitment and something to challenge my growth as a person. So is my boyfriend. Logical next step? Marriage.

Neither of us are bad at handling money, and already know most of the standards with bills, living costs and a rough understanding of taxes.

Well - Thats terribly poor information to teens but I'll leave off - out of respect for you.

It's only poor information to teens when they're too stubborn to realize the reason why they're failing(at more than relationships)is a 'them' problem, not an 'age' problem.

Discussing sex is against the Teen forum. While I disagree with your sentiment it's NOT to be discussed. Please don't continue to discuss sex in this thread, we'll both end up with a warning.

That's my bad--I actually didn't know it wasn't allowed in the teen forum. Sorry about that.

That said - I would encourage you to live together first.(Though I understand that may be against either your religious or cultural beliefs) It's one thing that you decide what movies or what restaurant you want to visit, and yes you chat a lot - Its wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy different when now you have to share domestic duties, pay bills - Living together is NOT NEARLY the same as hanging out, no matter how long you've been doing it for.

I think the fact that my significant other has kindly and patiently dealt with several long painful months of my anger/moodiness and suicidal scares on my end, after the past 4 years with me being the only one who ever genuinely cared about him under the a//hat facade he portrayed and called him out on harmful behavior for his own good speaks volumes. Especially factoring in all of the intense arguments that nearly ended our then-friendship. Deciding who's going to pay what bills and what kind of apartment we're going to have is nothing, to either of us, compared to how difficult those times were. (especially considering we've already thought ahead and are currently planning out our game-plan on that topic). So degrading it to 'hanging out' is a little disingenuous, no offense.

That said - I respect your choice.

Although according to the post, not entirely.

One last thing - As I said I dont wanna hammer the points you raised - Its good for teens to see another perspective BUT I must correct one point which is both incorrect and a dangerous view:
You stated that violence is more likely in unmarried coupling - That is Most incorrect, both in my country and yours. In fact its the other way around and I became super worried for you that you might have a belief that if you marry then the issues of domestic abuse are unlikely or less likely. This just isn't the case. In point of fact the grind associated with money, sexual relationships, esteem etc etc heighten the longer a marriage goes on - AND its very important you understand that DV is not just about violence - its about financial abuse, verbal abuse, isolation, controlling.

Why are cohabiting relationships more violent than marriages?. - PubMed - NCBI

You do a lot of assuming about others and the topics you speak on--both of which are probably why you specifically would not, I would imagine at least, fair very well in a marriage. I know a lot on the topic of domestic abuse, and I would not be speaking about it if I didn't. Nowhere did I claim that marriages are immune to such a thing, I was simply pointing out how ironic that cohabitation(what you suggest as an alternative)has a higher rate of domestic violence.

Please don't push that view to other teens. Please refer to the local justice stats in your area. I volunteer in a women's refuge and my mother is a psychologist who deals with victims of abuse. Please read a little about this before you marry.

Arguments from authority do not work with me--I am sorry. I don't know your mother, what kind of reputation she has, or how her expertise measures up to others in her field; so her advice, as of the moment, remains neutral to me as neither helpful or unhelpful. As for you volunteering in a women's refuge...while I find that very respectful and I am glad there are people such as yourself helping those in need, your point was on maturity; not abuse victims. That is a whole other complex topic with many variables--all I will say is that in my experience as a bystander, it would seem a lot of red flags get ignored early on in many cases.

I can confidently bet my life that my boyfriend would ever not abuse me, period.

Exactly - You get it - Would that person be mature enough at 15 or 16 or 17 or 18...... The point you have come to realise is - Yes age is a determinant of emotional and intellectual maturity

...I was being sarcastic because comparing marriage to congress is like comparing a screwdriver to a piece of bubble wrap. Being successful in congress requires much, MUCH more than being able to get along with a spouse in a personal living space.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

theoneandonlypencil

Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel I need to double down t my fellow teens
Please -
  • Get educated to the highest level you are able.
  • Get a career. To the girls - gee this is super important. You need to ensure you are capable of financial independence. If you dont - You have no education and skills, and 10 years later things go wrong - you will find it very hard to escape your position.
  • hanging out with someone isn't knowing them. If your culture permits it - live with that person first. When you start paying bills, arguing over domestic duties, running out of money - that's when the test of your Compatability comes to be tested.
  • Don't be in a rush. There's lots to experience, whether with a b/f or g/f or single. Don't be in a rush. Experience what's out there.
:) This is just my view BUT there's a pile of research on what happens in young marriages. So....dont accept my view or anyone else's for that matter - do a little research :) AND have fun
Boop Boop
Zoii

Are you sure you haven't just been scared out of the concept of marriage by what you've seen/read on abuse? Because it seems to me like you've become the marriage-equivalent of a doomsday, worse-scenario prepper. I also would advise that if you're going to refer to statistics or research, you're going to wanna cite your sources like I did.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
can confidently bet my life that my boyfriend would ever not abuse me, period.

Thats great and I wish you both the best :)

Are you sure you haven't just been scared out of the concept of marriage by what you've seen/read on abuse?.

No - though its fair you ask given where I volunteer.

Hey and I mean it - I'm not trying to hammer you.

I think others coming in will see both our perspectives. As for your personal relationship - all the best.

Upvote 0

theoneandonlypencil

Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thats great and I wish you both the best :)

No - though its fair you ask given where I volunteer.

Hey and I mean it - I'm not trying to hammer you.

I think others coming in will see both our perspectives. As for your personal relationship - all the best.

Alright, hopefully I didn't come on too strong. Thank you for your good wishes -- same goes to you! ♥️

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Alright, hopefully I didn't come on too strong. Thank you for your good wishes -- same goes to you! ♥️
Thanks - Ive been in the teen room for a few years now. We say our bit but we really try to NEVER to be like they behave in all the other Non-Teen rooms and always treat each other with as much respect as we can muster - Though we can still have different views and argue our points - But we always try to nurture each other and never insult.

Theres other teens here that I hope you get to know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So Zoomers,
When you hit twenty, what do want to do. Have you got a plan?
University, travel, ramping up your social life - Whats on your list??
You get to be late teens early twenties just once - Okay -for you Buddhists out there you may think it comes around more than once -

For me -
Finish my degree
Do my internship
Travel
And have lots of fun along the way

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

Whoa I was literally just thinking about this topic bc I'd read a thread where someone was going through the pains from having married young. I understand the urge bc I mean I was MADLY in love with my 1st boyfriend so much so that it's like he changed how my brain was working. If I had it would have been a colossal mistake.

Yep yep yep, agree with you.

Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I thought it might be useful to attach a little reading on the topic

Early Teen Marriage and Future Poverty

There's an interesting article that unfortunately I couldn't pull up online but I'll attach the reference:
Research on Young Marriage: Implications for Family Life Education
Lee G. Burchinal
The Family Life Coordinator
Vol. 9, No. 1/2 (Sep. - Dec., 1960), pp. 6-24

@theoneandonlypencil also kindly attached an article that supports more positive outcomes for married cohorts as opposed to defacto arrangements, thus providing an alternative view. That article examined violence in these relationships.

Why are cohabiting relationships more violent than marriages?. - PubMed - NCBI
I read this article and its good so I want to add to it. For those dating there are some signs and symptoms that should warn you that you are entering into a violent or controlling relationship. These are:

Use these warning signs to alert you that you may be in danger

• He comes on very strong to begin with, is extremely charming and a smooth talker.
  • He gets serious very quickly in a relationship.
  • He gets extremely jealous of other people.
  • He isolates you and tries to make you feel guilty for wanting contact with family, friends or for participating in activities outside the relationship.
  • He never takes responsibility for himself, always blames others or something else.
  • He abuses drugs and / or alcohol.
  • He acts hurt when he doesn't get his own way.
  • He takes offense when other people disagree with his opinion.
  • He has been cruel to pets or other animals in the past.
  • He has threatened you with violence.
  • He calls you names, puts you down or swears at you.
  • He is extremely moody and switches quickly from being nice to explosive anger.
  • He intimidates others e.g. uses threatening body language, punches walls or breaks objects.
  • He holds you against your will to keep you from walking away or leaving the room.
  • He has abused children.
  • He has hit a previous girlfriend.
You are clearly in a negative relationship IF he"
  • unfairly and regularly accuses you of flirting or being unfaithful
  • controls how you spend money
  • decides what you wear or eat
  • humiliates you in front of other people
  • monitors what you are doing, including reading your emails and text messages
  • discourages or prevents your from seeing friends and family
  • threatens to hurt you, the children or pets
  • physically assaults you (hitting, biting, slapping, kicking, pushing)
  • yells at you
  • threatens to use a weapon against you
  • constantly compares you with other people
  • constantly criticises your intelligence, mental health and appearance
  • prevents you from practicing your religion.

Upvote 0