United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Gooood evening everyone!

Anybody else here married to a Jehova Witness? Am I the only one lol?

Back Story:
-Met my now wife back in 2007 and when we met I told her I was Christian, although not really very strong in my walk, and I knew she had a JW backround. I had asked her if she would convert and she was open to it. Kind of left it at that...
-Fast forward to 2010 and we are now married.
-About 5 years, a house, and 2 girls later she decides to go back to the JW's. I was a bit shocked, but we hadn't really been in a good spot for quite a while to that point. As reluctant as I was to just flat out say "no", which I didn't have a right to anyways, I told her she could do what she wanted if she felt the need. It ended up saving our marraige as she turned herself around 180* which ended up making me want to be a better man for her since she had changed for the better. I didn't know much about the JW's only from what I had heard and was told from family so I didn't view them as something good to be honest. I really think a lot of people don't and might need to try to understand them more and not just go off of these exjw testimonies. Anywho,
-Here we are with now 3 kids. My 2 daughters are deep into the JW life and they love it. I love seeing them so happy to be honest. I love seeing my wife so happy as well. I'm able to gain a better understanding, although still doing more research, about JW's in general by seeing what they talk about in their meetings since its all done with Zoom because their meeting halls are shutdown due to COVID.

I would like to hear some opinions on what they think about all this. I'm one tough cookie to get offended so please, do not reserve your opinions for fear of offending me haha! I seriously do not get offended.
Thanks guys and gals! I want to open this up for interesting conversations also so lets go! :)

• Informative
Reactions: Johnboy60

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
would like to hear some opinions on what they think about all this. I'm one tough cookie to get

Married life was tough and you were offering nothing better so your wife returned to what she knew the false religion of J We.
Now your whole family is involved in the intense insular world of JWs.

What can you do?
Basically find Jesus and become a Christian. That you need to do this is seen by it was your behaviour that drove your wife back to the JW and your behaviour only changed as she started living as a JW.

Look up christianityexplored find a course and sign up, start attending church and living as a Christian, learn the difference between Christianity and the teaching of the watchtower and gospel tract society.
The full name of JWs.

You will have discussions/arguments with your family, but try not to! Yes try not to argue, a reasoned discussion stands a chance, it is an uphill struggle and if you argue you risk being shunned.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello, Ruzty.

IMO, "Tolworth John" was onto something in his reply to you, and I would like to suggest that there is something else in that same vein. That is to study up on the theology of the Jehovah's Witnesses. This is not simply a matter of seeing what they're like during their meetings via Zoom.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ruzty1311

Dec 11, 2020
San Bernardino County
✟8,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Married life was tough and you were offering nothing better so your wife returned to what she knew the false religion of J We.
Now your whole family is involved in the intense insular world of JWs.

What can you do?
Basically find Jesus and become a Christian. That you need to do this is seen by it was your behaviour that drove your wife back to the JW and your behaviour only changed as she started living as a JW.

Look up christianityexplored find a course and sign up, start attending church and living as a Christian, learn the difference between Christianity and the teaching of the watchtower and gospel tract society.
The full name of JWs.

You will have discussions/arguments with your family, but try not to! Yes try not to argue, a reasoned discussion stands a chance, it is an uphill struggle and if you argue you risk being shunned.

It wasn't just me that led her back. She only really knew the JW way and I wasn't going to church at the time so I didn't provide her with the alternative. She went back to work on herself. She was bitter and easily offended and we argued quite a bit over dumb things.
I've already been having debates/discussions about her beliefs vs. mine and they don't get heated. I am level headed and open to conversation and keep calm as we Christians should be. I'm not sure what you REALLY know about their doctrine, but I would only get "shunned" if I were to try to pull her away from God or her faith and that's not what I'm trying to do.
Now with the kids, it's going to be tough I understand this. The no birthdays, Christmas thing is whatever. There are far bigger issues that I would like to understand and confirm along the way :)

I have to say this also, she looked around at my family, who are "Christians" and saw some of the hypocrisy they showed in their lives. Like 90% of my friends and family who claimed to be Christian were not acting like Christians and I will argue that most don't these days either. But that's ultimately what turned her off to becoming a Christian.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
would only get "shunned" if I were to try to pull her away from God or her faith and that's not what I'm trying to do.

Then what are you trying to do?

If you are a Christian and understand Christian and is theology you will know that the he's are not Christian, so witnessing to her about what she and jw believe is seeking to take her away from them.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟84,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Then what are you trying to do?

If you are a Christian and understand Christian and is theology you will know that the he's are not Christian, so witnessing to her about what she and jw believe is seeking to take her away from them.

He's between a rock and a hard place. If you know what causes JWs to leave their organization, tell him. Be helpful please.

I was a Mormon for years. Christians didn't know how to pull me out, but God did! I began reading my Bible. Mormons didn't tell me to read my Bible. In fact no one did. But God arranged events in my life and motivated me to do it. Bible with Cross.gif A Christian can plant seeds little by little. God is the one who makes seeds grow.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He's between a rock and a hard place. If you know what causes JWs to leave their organization, tell him. Be helpful please.

I was a Mormon for years. Christians didn't know how to pull me out, but God did! I began reading my Bible. Mormons didn't tell me to read my Bible. In fact no one did. But God arranged events in my life and motivated me to do it. View attachment 290816 A Christian can plant seeds little by little. God is the one who makes seeds grow.

The only thing I know that causes us to leave is becoming A Christian.

That requires them actually seeing what the Bible teaches, not just what the watchtower says it says and seeing Christians living as Christians.
Arguing only causes people to dig there heels in, but careful discussion can see seeds of doubt, which water by prayer can grow into dissolution with the organisation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums