Jan 13, 2002
Rochdale
Visit site
✟11,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would have to say that I believe that God's intention is for marriage to be for life. It is a covenant that is made between two people and God holds covenants in the highest regard, even if they go against His will (there is such an example in the Bible).

Because of our hardness of hearts (or weakness, if you prefer) it was permitted that divorce may be granted on the grounds of marital unfaithfulness, but it was never God's intention (read Haggai).

So, reconciliation is always on God's heart...and is a fruit of forgiveness

Upvote 0

amie

Survivor
Mar 1, 2002
California
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I believe that marriage can be reconciled if it is truly in the hearts of the two who are in love. Marriage is a beautiful thing, but it does require a great amount of work and effort. As long as the two are devoted, it can be worked out (assuming that there is no abuse, emotional or physical)
Love and blessings to you...
Amie
:angel:

Reactions: Kindled
Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>does anyone believe there is a reason that a marriage can not be reconciled.

It depends on if both people are going to heaven or not. If one is going to heaven and the other is not, then they are going to seperate sooner or later anyways. Although Paul says to hang in there with them, because they may come to repentance and get saved.

If both people are going to heaven, then your going to have to get along with each other to get in. If there is one person in heaven that you do not get along with, then God is not going to allow you to enter in. Because you do not have His perfect love in your heart.

Even if there are problems in the marriage relationship, you should still be able to live together and get along as brother and sister in the Lord. Abraham was married to his half sister.

I really do not stay married so much for my wife, as I just want to be faithful to God. It is because my relationship with HIM is so important that I work things out with my wife. We would not be able to make a go of it anyways without God's help. From time to time we just need to receive a healing touch from Him, in order for the marriage to keep on working. There are things that I am just not able to fix. Sometimes it is not my fault or my wife's fault, just an attack of the enemy. But still, it takes a touch of God on our heart, to heal and mend it.

It is just so wonderful and awesome when we receive a touch from God like that. In just a moment of time He can accomplish so very much more than we could ever accomplish on our own, apart from Him. There are just some things WE can not do, that ONLY God can do in our lives. After all, we do not save ourselves, it is the work of God in our lives. There is no way we can just read our Bible and somehow apply it to our lives without God's help. Thanks, JOhnR7

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>Because of our hardness of hearts (or weakness, if you prefer) it was permitted that divorce may be granted on the grounds of marital unfaithfulness

Do you know of anyone in the Bible who managed to get into Heaven with a hardened heart? Of course we all know people who got a divorce and went on to get themselves saved & right with God. I just do not see any place in the Bible where believers can get a divorce from each other. Of course we are weak, but a believer learns how to trust in the strength of God working in us to make us strong.

Upvote 0