Dec 13, 2011
✟15,164.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey friends

This maybe the wrong forum to post in but will try anyway

What does it mean when a guy says yes I'm sure I want to marry you and I'm 100% sure of you I just still feel doubts.

When are doubts the normal ones guys experience as proposing is a big thing to them nd at what point should I be worried ?
We've been together nearly 5 years

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know for sure what's going on in your guy's head, but I have a pretty good idea...

If a man is serious about marriage, (especially a Christian) he realizes that marrying one woman means saying no to every other woman. For women this is easy; if they love a man, none of the other guys in the world matter to them.

Like it or not, men are different. He may love you with all his heart and truly want to marry you, but it's a very tough choice to say "no" to all the others. Rather than seeing this as a problem, you should rejoice that he intends to be faithful to you, and takes that obligation seriously.

One of a guy's greatest fears is that Miss Perfect will show up after his wedding. While he may always be faithful to you, he doesn't want to be tortured by thoughts of greener grass across the fence.

Someday, hopefully soon, he will see that you are real and Miss Perfect is an illusion. You can help that happen; as the Pointer Sisters song says:"I know my heart can make you happy, I know these arms can fill you up..."

You and he should pray for God's will to be done in this. :hug:

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey friends

What does it mean when a guy says yes I'm sure I want to marry you and I'm 100% sure of you I just still feel doubts.

When are doubts the normal ones guys experience as proposing is a big thing to them nd at what point should I be worried ?

Hi, no worries, you're in the right forum.

As far as what you've posted regarding his insecurity, for a variety of reasons it could just be that --- insecurity. It could also be a lack of total (or as total as we humans can manifest) total commitment. It's hard to say without knowing him and with such little information that we can put in these posts. But it is IMO concern for worry but does not necessarily mean he doesn't want to get married. Given his doubts and your worry, both of which are important I'd highly recommend some sessions of premarital counseling to try to get this ironed out. If your church does not offer it, then another might. There is also the option of going to a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who are highly trained and familiar with things like you brought up.

Certainly, this needs to be figured out and settled. It's not good for you to be kept hanging and it's also not good for him to be waffling in this most important matter. So, this is what I recommend. Get some assistance as stated above. I pray all works out for you and will respond later in the post if I think I can be of more assistance.

God bless you both.

In Christ,

CH Sacerdote

Upvote 0

Waffles007

Dec 13, 2011
✟15,164.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey thanks for the advice sacerdote!

He feels that going to ore marriage counselling is something to do once your engaged and as we are not it won't happen but he has suggested and we have gone to a leader at our church for a bit for advice and help semi regularly

I think he could just be scared ? He has said besides what religion someone follows deciding on a wife is the second biggest thing he'd ever have to thin
About and I agree it must be a intense time for a guy but I really just would feel better if he knew why he felt doubtful :/

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey thanks for the advice sacerdote!

He feels that going to ore marriage counselling is something to do once your engaged and as we are not it won't happen but he has suggested and we have gone to a leader at our church for a bit for advice and help semi regularly

I think he could just be scared ? He has said besides what religion someone follows deciding on a wife is the second biggest thing he'd ever have to thin
About and I agree it must be a intense time for a guy but I really just would feel better if he knew why he felt doubtful :/

Whatever his reasons may be, he could just very well be scared. Fear is a normal emotion and sometimes we can let ourselves get carried away with them. I suppose you could wait longer but if you've been together a while and are seriously talking marriage I don't think it's too early to get some professional guidance. That he went for some advice with you is good but it's not enough IMO.

You're talking about possibly the most important relationship in your life next to the one you have with God. So it's worth the effort and time necessary to get it on the proper path. I pray that everything works out for the best. Feel free to pm me if you'd like or need to. God bless you both.

In Christ,

CH Sacerdote

Upvote 0

Waffles007

Dec 13, 2011
✟15,164.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yea I agree and I think it would benefit greatly us both
Bit I guess he's heard me talk about marriage erc for so long that I think he's getting almost annoyed with it
But I'm a girl i can't help but e excited haha but I think he feels a tad pressured but me talking about it so much

Do you think that a guy should feel complete peace as an indicator that he's marrying the right person ? Or how does a guy tell the difference between god saying yes or god saying no and normal doubts that all Guys must feel even for a short while while making this huge choice in life :)

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I felt at peace before marrying my wife and in fact was getting antsy about it because we had to wait due to living overseas at the time. I don't think it's good to try and second guess him. You have enough to think about with your own feelings. But, his feelings and thoughts can be brought out during counseling as will yours. Please don't try to be responsible for his fears or feelings because from what you've stated, you are not. He is responsible for them and he is also responsible for making it better on his side as you are on your side. God bless you.

Faithfully,

CH Sacerdote

Upvote 0

Waffles007

Dec 13, 2011
✟15,164.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I guess it all boils down to the fact I may have just assumed and maybe wrongly so tht after this amout of time which IMO is a substantial amount of time he would have proposed already we aren't young as such both mid twenties

He has given me a promise ring also but I'm just waiting in that final descion

Am I being unreasonable ?

Thank you for listening nd for your advice

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess it all boils down to the fact I may have just assumed and maybe wrongly so that after this amount of time which IMO is a substantial amount of time he would have proposed already we aren't young as such both mid twenties

He has given me a promise ring also but I'm just waiting in that final descion

Am I being unreasonable ?

Thank you for listening nd for your advice

Waffles
DO NOT PRESSURE HIM!
I know that may be frustrating for you but it is best to be patient and not pressure him. A pressured marriage can cause trouble for years.

My suggestion would be for you to concentrate on what Proverbs 3:6 means to you. In those scriptures God has made a promise to lead you in the right path. Besides a serious Christian man would be even more attracted to a woman that acknowledges God in all her ways.

Isaac had to wait way past 30 years old to get the spouse that God picked. God’s pick and timing is best.

Stan

Upvote 0

gabrielle2012

Feb 28, 2012
✟15,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know... I'm not a guy! But I've been following this thread.

I looked at some of your other posts to see how old you two are. Girl, this seems to be eating you up inside. I know you've been praying on this and even put out fleece. Personally, I don't like the idea of testing God, but that's my opinion. Asking for signs would make me nervous. In my personal experience, I've learned that if you pray, God does answer you. You just might not like the answer. I've learned in my life that when I thought I got no answer, the answer was actually NO. When the answer was yes, the Holy Spirit has moved me in the direction I needed to go. The feeling is peace and acceptance, not stress and feeling eaten up inside.

My best friend has been waiting for her boyfriend to propose for 16 years. She's 46 years old now. It has just dawned on her that no matter how he professes to love her, want to marry her someday and talks of their future together, that it's probably not gonna happen. Can't believe I'm going to paraphrase Beyonce, but if he wants you, then he'd put a ring on it. Doesn't mean you have to get married tomorrow.

So, you pray some more. Sacerdote's advice was also sound. Premarital counseling may help to allay your concerns. You should also ask your boyfriend specifically what his doubts are. If you can't ask or he's not forthcoming, either is a cause for concern. At this stage of your relationship, you really should be able to communicate comfortably about nearly anything.

Back to the guys! Sorry for butting in!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tannicv2

Mar 14, 2012
✟493.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey friends

Past experiences, hurts or problems with women in general. You never know. Has he had some serious problems with women in his family? Is his mom good to him and other things?

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it normal for a guy to have doubts or anxiety about popping the question?

I'll share my experience. I was at a point in my life where I didn't want to date anyone besides the person I would marry. This was also something the woman who would be my wife had prayed for. She had had a boyfriend for several years, who it turns out had had some other girlfriends during that time, and that had broken her heart.

I was overseas in her country, and found out from a missionary who lived on her Bible college campus, who'd had be for dinner one night, that there was a library with a lot of English books. So I went there to read and to meet people. I had been praying for a wife, and it had even seemed like the Lord might have spoken to me that I would meet her that month...or was that just me.. I thought. I was also praying for friendships, too.

After we met and had our first conversation,we both had a sense of what was coming. I went home and prayed about whether this was the woman I was to marry. She went home and wrote her prayer down in her journal along the same lines, "If it be your will give me to him, and him to me" if I remember right.

We started seeing each other. I would pray about it, asking if this was the woman I was supposed to marry. It seemed like the Lord was saying, Yes. As I kept praying the same thing, it seemed like He was saying, "Yes, why don't you believe me?" One time, this young woman said something that bothered me on the phone. I prayed about it, and sensed the Lord speaking to my heart some details about her past, and why she had reacted the way she did on the phone. Later, she explained why she had reacted the way she did on her phone, and told me the same story I had gotten in prayer. So this was a kind of confirmation that I was hearing God. Still I just wasn't sure.

What kind of doubts did I have? What if I am hearing wrong? What if I marry this girl and mess up her life? What if God has some great plan for her, and I just come in here and mess all that up? Stuff like that. I just wanted to be sure.

So I was like 80 to 95% sure. I figured we'd get married. We discussed the topic a little. I didn't know this, but in her country, you get engaged by going to see her parents-- usually taking your parents to meet hers. In my country, the man drops down on one knee and gives her a ring. I wanted to surprise her. We'd talk about marriage, but too much talk of it bothered me. It kind of stole my thunder for the proposal. And I didn't want to commit to being engaged without proposing. So we'd talk a little about it. If I had it to do over again, I would talk in depth about marriage, and what we were expecting out of each other if we married. But things turned out well, anyway.

So for months, I prayed about this. We had that first conversation on February 16th and probably in early to mid May, she went on a short-term missions trip to an island in the country, way up in the jungle. It was quite an adventure for her. I bought her a cell phone, but it usually didn't work, not in the jungle anyway. During that time, I decided I was going to pray and make up my mind.

Do you know what helped me? I had two friends, both Americans as it turned out, one married to a woman from the same country, but from another ethnic group. This guy had said the way he made decisions was to pray, "If you don't want me to do it, stop me." I thought that sounded unspiritual. Later, he explained it. He said if he had to make a decision, he'd consider whether anything in the Bible spoke in favor of it or against it. He'd pray and see if the Lord seemed to be offering direction. But he realized that doing nothing was also a decision, so he'd just trust God and make a decision, and pray, "If you don't want me to do it, stop me." God can speak to your heart after you decide to do something.

Then I talked to this missionary on the phone about making decisions, marriage, etc. He told me I was supposed to be enjoying this time, not stressing out about it. He said he'd pray and just make a decision, and then sometimes the Lord would speak to his heart or he wouldn't have peace about it before he took the action.

There were a number of other factors that were contributing toward me having doubts on this, other people's input and things like that, but I'll not go into all that. I'd talked with my parents and they seemed supportive.

So I knelt down and prayed within a couple of days before my wife came back from the missions trip. So I prayed and told the Lord all the reasons I believed I should marry this woman. If it wasn't His will, I asked Him to stop me, but I was going to go for it.

Before, I'd been at 90 or 95% sure. When I made the decision, I was at 100%. This was going to happen. It was the Lord's will. I had peace about it. I proposed to her around mid-July.

The evening after I picked her up from the train station after her missions trip, I took her to a night service. An evangelist prophesied over us that night about us going to many places and meeting many people. He'd been in the US for a year. I knew him, but he hadn't known me since I started dating. That's a pretty big deal to prophesy something that implies people will be married. I'd have really loved a confirmation prophecy before I decided to propose. I prayed a lot for that sort of thing. I think the Lord waited on purpose until it was a done deal as far as I was concerned to teach me about wise decision-making.

To explain why I wasn't going to be taking her out the next Monday, I told my wife I would be meeting with an older man from church. He helped me pick out an engagement ring for her. The next night, I think, was my birthday. We had an excuse to dress up and go out some place nice, a buffet, but I couldn't eat much, and I probably rushed her. Once she got pass all the joyful tears and emotions and stuff, she said 'yes.' They didn't do the one knee thing there, and it came as a big surprise to her.

Then we faced the real obstacles to getting married-- trying to get consensus about a date and how and when in a collectivist extended family, and opposition to our plans from one party when her parents had approved it, and other family issues. They say her people group is the hardest to marry into in her whole country. I got adopted into the people-group as her cousin to marry her. That three-day cattle-car/refugee-style ship ride to get to her parents town was quite an ordeal. Then there was wedding planning around Christmas without a lot of friends around to help because of other commitments. But it happened.

Maybe your boyfriend could benefit from talking to mature godly men about how to make decisions. Both the guys I talked to had done stuff. One had planted a church, I think, and started two or three Bible colleges. The other had been successful in starting a couple of companies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anunbeliever

Veteran
Sep 8, 2004
✟8,986.00
Faith
Agnostic
My best friend has been waiting for her boyfriend to propose for 16 years. She's 46 years old now. It has just dawned on her that no matter how he professes to love her, want to marry her someday and talks of their future together, that it's probably not gonna happen. Can't believe I'm going to paraphrase Beyonce, but if he wants you, then he'd put a ring on it.
I agree completely. 16 years is too long. 5 years is too long. Both partners should know whether they have a keeper within 1 year. Certainly within 2 years. Baring constraints like being very young (eg under 21), studying for a degree, and such, marriage plans should be on the table. In saying he has 'doubts' after 5 years really means hes just 'making do'. You deserve better.

Upvote 0