Texas
✟7,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm new to this. I just don't know what to do anymore. My husband as left me but came back but is prepared to leave again. He says he can't take my defensiveness. I really have tried to stop being defensive but I keep sliding back into old habits. I keep reacting to what he says and how he says it instead of listening to what he is saying.
I need help. I am beginning concealing but he refuses to go with me . He says its my problem to deal with. Which I guess it is.
Any thoughts?

ChristopherK

Jun 2, 2017
New York
✟13,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm new to this. I just don't know what to do anymore. My husband as left me but came back but is prepared to leave again. He says he can't take my defensiveness. I really have tried to stop being defensive but I keep sliding back into old habits. I keep reacting to what he says and how he says it instead of listening to what he is saying.
I need help. I am beginning concealing but he refuses to go with me . He says its my problem to deal with. Which I guess it is.
Any thoughts?

Glad you came here. There are many people w/ sound advice for you here! Individual counseling is a good start for sure. I'd definitely go solo for now. Let him see the proof that you're changing. I'd definitely ask the same question that 'Hidden in Him' did, what's making you so defensive?

• Friendly
Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Helpme17

Jun 26, 2017
Texas
✟7,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Honestly.. When he tells me I've done anything wrong. He is not always nice about it but a lot of the time it's just me. I really have trouble with knowing I've done something to hurt him. I realize that sounds bad. The sad part is that when he starts tell me something I've done to hurt him I start running down all the things he has ever done to hurt me. Here's the real problem, it does not happen every time just most of the time. He says I can't take responsibility for my actions or apologize and there is some truth to that but it only happens with him. I don't have this trouble at work or with anyone else.

Upvote 0

ChristopherK

Jun 2, 2017
New York
✟13,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Honestly.. When he tells me I've done anything wrong. He is not always nice about it but a lot of the time it's just me. I really have trouble with knowing I've done something to hurt him. I realize that sounds bad. The sad part is that when he starts tell me something I've done to hurt him I start running down all the things he has ever done to hurt me. Here's the real problem, it does not happen every time just most of the time. He says I can't take responsibility for my actions or apologize and there is some truth to that but it only happens with him. I don't have this trouble at work or with anyone else.

May I ask how your upbringing was? How was life with your parents? Trust that I'm only asking this because what it reveals has a ginormous impact on personal reflection/revelation.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

:)

Help Me, I don't want to seem like I'm prying because I'm really only wanting to help. But you'd kinda need to give some specifics before I think we could get a handle on exactly what your situation might be.

Think you could give one or two important instances where he accused you of doing something wrong and/or that you hurt him?

Upvote 0

Helpme17

Jun 26, 2017
Texas
✟7,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
May I ask how your upbringing was? How was life with your parents? Trust that I'm only asking this because what it reveals has a ginormous impact on personal reflection/revelation.[/QUOTE
I was raised in a very strict household. My mom controlled everything. When I didn't do what she wanted or expected she would not talk me. There was no physical abuse from my parents.

Upvote 0

ChristopherK

Jun 2, 2017
New York
✟13,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Hm, I understand. How'd you respond when she would do that? Would you seek her approval? Shut down and seek solitude? Try to please her? Or maybe rebel in a way that worked for you?

I'm going somewhere with this so just play along real quick if you can.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristopherK

Jun 2, 2017
New York
✟13,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would do everything I could to please her. I wanted the silence to stop and the conflict to end. I never rebelled that would have led to more problems.

Okay, may I suggest that you may be responding defensively, because while you have moments of being overly sensitive to your husband, it comes from a place of trying to please? As in, you may be trying to be "perfect" by doing everything you can for your spouse and when he responds negatively towards you, you're automatic response is to defend yourself?

If you come from a household where your Mom would be upset and you'd respond trying to please her so the atmosphere would go back to normal, you may take the same course of action within your own household now. This is something I would encourage you not to do-at least not in the same you you're used to. Individual counseling for yourself, seeking God more intimately, and building your own personal life w/ activities or hobbies is a positive move for your marriage. Don't cling to your spouse, don't overdue anything, because they'll read that as you trying to control what you can't. This is about you and the Lord, remember that. Whatever we go through ALWAYS constitutes what God wants to show you first and foremost.

I say all of this, because I'm kinda sorta in the same situation, but I've been in it for 8 months. God has shown me a lot throughout. Don't give up. Persevere for your marriage, and fight for it. God be with you and your hubby!

Upvote 0

Helpme17

Jun 26, 2017
Texas
✟7,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Example..
I was apologizing for hurting him in the past.
He told me that I needed to apologize for the actions that caused the hurt.
And I tried to debate the fact that I was apologizing but he said I was not apologizing for the right things.
That was it I kept defending what I was doing and he got angry and it went down hill from there.

Upvote 0

Helpme17

Jun 26, 2017
Texas
✟7,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our marriage has been in conflict or trouble for a long time. My husband has said he was going to leave more than once. I do try to please in some ways. We don't really discuss anything tough just to avoid the conflict or in his case to avoid my defensiveness. We have been married for 22 years. The real problems started 12 years ago when we came across some pictures from high school. They were my pictures and I wanted to save them but he wanted me to get rid of them. The pictures were not at our home but at parents. He kept pushing me to get rid of them and we had a lot of fights about them. The fights were bad which led to him believe I had feelings for my ex high school boyfriend. I finally got rid of them but not until the damage was done.

Upvote 0

Helpme17

Jun 26, 2017
Texas
✟7,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our marriage has been in conflict or trouble for a long time. My husband has said he was going to leave more than once. I do try to please in some ways. We don't really discuss anything tough just to avoid the conflict or in his case to avoid my defensiveness. We have been married for 22 years. The real problems started 12 years ago when we came across some pictures from high school. They were my pictures and I wanted to save them but he wanted me to get rid of them. The pictures were not at our home but at parents. He kept pushing me to get rid of them and we had a lot of fights about them. The fights were bad which led to him believe I had feelings for my ex high school boyfriend. I finally got rid of them but not until the damage was done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you can get some valuable advice from people that have been married longer than I. However, I would also heavily advise you to see a Marriage and Family Counselor, preferably a Christian one. I have found that they can be of great value, especially helping to act as an impartial medium between two individuals that seem to want to move on, but are having a difficult time actually getting to their issues. That said, if you are trying to improve and are truly contrite.....there is no reason to keep a "list".

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hmmm... ok. Sounds like he has trust issues with you. Any idea why he had such a problem with your keeping pictures of a man from your past? Was he worried you might still be interested in him? Was he upset that he was being compared to that person in some way? Was he worried about your present, as if maybe you might be unfaithful to him with someone new?

Upvote 0

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟227,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When your husband says that you hurt him, he is looking for you to acknowledge how he feels. When you go on the defensive to protect yourself and list how he has hurt you, you are invalidating what he is feeling at that moment. It also shows that you are thinking only about yourself and not caring about him, so he is further hurt by your reaction.

Defensiveness never accomplishes what it sets out to do, which is to show that you are innocent of damaging his feelings. He is hurt, and whether you agree with why he is hurt or not, the fact remains that it is something that you said or did that gave him the pain. It is a self centered reaction that causes your husband to feel that you have little compassion. And, honestly, he's right. If your primary concern was for him and to repair what caused the hurt, you would not be defensive. You would reach out to him with empathy and love and apologize for what you did. When you defend yourself and refuse to apologize, he is hurt doubly, and if you continue in your defenses, it just gets worse and worse.

My ex husband was defensive like you. I cannot tell you how much it hurt me when he would refuse to acknowledge my feelings to protect his pride. It damaged our relationship horribly, and is one of the primary reasons that he is my ex. Thankfully, my current husband and I always acknowledge each other immediately, even if we don't agree. Either one of us can say "that really hurt me", and the other will immediately move to heal that wound. Then we go on to have thoughtful, considerate conversation about what bothered us. The reason we do this is because our love for each other is far more important than any disagreement we can have. Knowing this, we are both able to check our negative emotions and seek to be loving and kind towards each other.

You are absolutely capable of stopping your defenses when they bubble up. In the heat of the moment, check yourself and think about him instead of yourself. If the defensive words start, stop yourself immediately and say something like "I'm sorry, I'm reacting selfishly. I'm sorry I hurt you. I love you and I don't want to cause you this pain. I understand why you feel this way." Then discuss what happened and tell him what you will do to avoid it in the future.

Hurting our spouses is inevitable. Sometimes it happens for reasons we don't understand, because we push buttons in our spouses that run deep. The important issue is that in that moment he is hurting, rightly or wrongly because of you, and as a loving spouse, it is up to you to prioritize his feelings over your own desire to be combative and accusatory. He needs to do the same for you. If you do, in the long run your relationship will improve because you can tell each other when you're hurting without fear of a fight, and talk thinks through calmly and with maturity.

• Agree
Reactions: ChristopherK
Upvote 0