Mark Latham

T

thejesusfish90

:(.... I feel sorry for him... there was never a chance that he would win that election, yet he took the loss soo hard... now he's just trying to come to grips with it... although I must say that taking cheap shots at his own party like he is, is really quite low... I think in one of his accusations he accused Kevin Rudd of Betraying him... well I can scarcesly think that he should talk given what he is doing at the moment... My school is a little dismayed about this in particular.. Mark Latham was actually an ex-pupil, and before his downfall, he was like the greatest aspiration of anyone at the school....

YBIC

Chris

Upvote 0

MadeInOz

Contributor
Jun 7, 2004
Brisbane
✟20,513.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
AU-Labor
I dunno, I liked him when he was actually in politics, I really thought that he might provide a bit of hope for a leader who isn't 90% of the way to retirement... a lot of politicians write their memoirs after they retire, but apparently Latham didn't have enough interesting material, so he had to drag out the dirt... absolutely no class. This is a book that didn't need to be written.

Upvote 0

phoenix_kid82

Jul 29, 2004
Sydney
✟495.00
Faith
Christian
Tee hee hee!

I think it was him. He was being interviewed by a bunch of news journos, and i think he was speaking up for some anti drug campaign. And someone asked him if he'd ever smoked pot, and he goes "yes, and i inhaled".

I liked him. I feel heaps sorry for him though. I think we should be praying for him. I try to pray for our leaders.

Upvote 0

inquisitor_11

Viva la revolucion!
Feb 26, 2004
Caves Beach
✟15,963.00
Faith
Christian
I think it all just goes to show just how dirty a game Australian politics are. :(

I have to say its pretty worrying seeing all the pollies carrying on like a bunch of 4 yr olds and realising that not only are they responsible for running this country... but that we're the mugs that vote for them.

Upvote 0

Solitaire

...the extraordinaire!
Dec 4, 2004
Queensland, Australia.
✟8,293.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I was never a fan of Latham, but in regards to the above post: the Labor party is full of factions, and I am willing to be that every one of them (including Latham's) have engaged in some name calling and other low acts in their time. I don't think he is as innocent as he makes out.

But despite all that, all I have to say is what a way to make a graceful exit - NOT!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Solitaire

...the extraordinaire!
Dec 4, 2004
Queensland, Australia.
✟8,293.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I read the excerpt they published in the newspaper today. While I appreciate the different side it offers, and in a few places I did feel a little sympathy for him, my opinion hasn't really changed. I still think even in the excerpt I read he refuses to examine within himself why something happened, and just blames it on the other person. (Eg: He talked about "that handshake" before the election, and he just couldn't grasp why people thought he looked like a bully).

I just really don't know what he was hoping to achieve from releasing this book. He ends by saying he wants to get away from the media and spend private time with his family, and yet he is the one digging all of this up again, and stirring up the media.

*Shakes head*

Upvote 0

mark53

Veteran
Jan 16, 2005
Ingle Farm, Adelaide, South Australia
✟16,879.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It is truly sad that a senior (ex) member of a political party could carry on like this! He needs out prayers! Whether we are Labor or Liberal or anything else we Must pray for them, for the duties as a (ex) politician, their families and their health and coping mechanisms. The last one failing him very badly!!!

Try and pray for a politican every day whether from a party you support, or HATE, 'cause as a Christian we are called to do so.

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
i used to like him, but this time it's just too much. He's basically trying to destroy the labour party. Labour is divided enough already, what it needs is not more public exposure of its dirt (every party has its own dirt), but more forgiveness and unity within itself.

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
don't know, inquisitor... you know politicians, it's hard to find any who practises compassion and honesty (shove away pride and face) when it comes to a real crisis.

hey, but maybe it's the media that's making everything worse. Perhaps there really is a chance that things can be turned around.

oh yeah, everyone against Mark Latham.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rusticus

Jul 2, 2005
✟8,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Anduril said:
For once Latham is right. In his book he says the Labor partys full of "snakes, freaks, and sewer rats" and I can't really disagree with that. Sounds like a must read for everyone. :D

The funny thing is that everyone (except poor Mark) will come to the conclusion that he was (or maybe still is) one of them [snakes, freaks and sewer rats], too.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟233,600.00
Faith
Christian
When Latham first popped up I was glad that Labor seemed to have a decent leader, because I believe that it’s always good to have a good opposition to keep the government on their toes.

But the more he talked, the more I got this idea that he was someone who had real problems with anger, who was more about name-calling than policy. Following the election loss he just seemed to self-destruct, and most people started to think “thank goodness he didn’t get in”. And I agree with them.

The latest stuff with his diaries just shows he hasn’t learnt anything. Now he is claiming Pru Goward ( the sex discrimination commissioner no less ) had an affair with John Howard. This is all the more suspicious because Pru Goward’s daughter was named by Latham over some harassment claim in Latham’s book. The guy just seems to sink lower and lower.

Upvote 0

John Spong is wrong

Feb 13, 2005
Perth
Visit site
✟735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Mark Latham's interview with Tony on Lateline on Friday night had me glued to the edge of my seat - it was even more exciting than the Sydney Swans win earlier in the evening. :cool:

I found the interview absolutely fascinating, especially from a Christian perspective. Here is a man that has finally worked out what matters most in life, a man who has taken an honest cold hard look at himself, a man who has suddenly realised that power and prestige and fame ultimately leave one empty and dissatisfied. Streuth, I would have loved an interviewer who probed Latham's spiritual side - this man, in my opinion, is very close to becoming a Christian, for example, if he attended an Alpha course, I think he would make that final step and commit his life to Christ.

I don't agree with all the pundits claiming he is "bitter". He is simply a) exposing the ALP for who they really are; b) taking a stand for his marriage and his family by turning his back on the dirty politics of the ALP.

Australian men have lost their wives in droves as a result of their careers (when their jobs involve long working hours etc.) because the wife felt that she was not emotionally supported and loved. Mark Latham is a shining example of manhood to Australian men; all he is missing is the most important piece of all - a personal relationship with Jesus Christ - once he finally gets that piece in place (and let's pray that he does), I for one would be quite happy to list him as one of my 'role models'.

I am really interested in what the female audience thought of the interview? I think they would be impressed with a man who eschews power and prestige and fame in order to devote his time to his wife and children 100%. Mark Latham is a man who has learned the hard lessons from his first ghastly marriage, and now it is paying off as he enjoys a wonderful relationship with his wife Janine.

How men stuff up a marriage, take their wives for granted, and yet are too proud to learn from their mistakes? :doh: Mark Latham is NOT one of them.

Finally, as for the political side, he has hit the nail on the head. Kim 'Bomber' Beazley is indeed not fit to clean toilets at Parliament, and the ALP is a bunch of sleazy, double-crossing snakes. The ALP makes me sick . . . :sick:

You see, what a lot of people don't realize, and this explains why so many pundits have got it wrong, is that at the end of the day, politicians (like the rest of us) are HUMAN. Mark Latham is HUMAN. Just because he was Federal leader of the ALP and under a constant media spotlight does NOT mean that slanderous accusations of a sexual nature don't hurt his feelings and potentially damage his reputation. He hurts the same way as you or I would hurt. As a man who has endured similar false accusations to what Mark Latham did, I can state that such disgusting accusations are very hurtful and leave very deep wounds. Regrettably such stuff occurs in church (bit that's another story . . .). Inevitably even some of your so-called friends betray you because they believe the disgusting accusations without checking with you personally. Mark Latham had had a gutful of these false accusations; false rumours; and of the sexual innuendo and smear campaign against him.

A great interview - looking forward to checking out the Denton interview too.

A must-see! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0