Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm going through some things in life right now, and just wanted some other opinions. I feel what Mark 9:43 is saying, is that if there is a situation (living or otherwise), a person, a job, etc. that causes you to live in habitual sin, that it's better to cut it off. No matter how painful it might be, or even WHO it might be, knowing that you are doing so for the Lord. You're His child, that he has destined for both His, and your glory, so removing everything that keeps us from allowing us to fulfill said glory is detrimental. That's how I see it, but I'm open to other interpretations.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
You're His child, that he has destined for both His, and your glory, so removing everything that keeps us from allowing us to fulfill said glory is detrimental. That's how I see it, but... ... ...
We are sheep. Notice out in the field, sheep don't "fulfill said glory" - they just follow the Shepherd's Voice (no self-consciousness involved, only God-consciousness intent on seeing and hearing the Shepherd's Voice, reading praying and meditating on God's Word with a single eye towards Him, ready to instantly do what He Says) - if they get separated from the Shepherd, they are in trouble. If they are with the Shepherd, they are protected.
Mark 9:40-50Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
"40 For whoever is not against us is for us. 41 Indeed, whoever gives you even a cup of water to drink because you come in the name of the Messiah — yes! I tell you that he will certainly not lose his reward.

42 “Whoever ensnares one of these little ones who trust me — it would be better for him to have a millstone hung around his neck and be thrown in the sea. 43 If your hand makes you sin, cut it off! Better that you should be maimed but obtain eternal life, rather than keep both hands and go to Gei-Hinnom, to unquenchable fire! 44 a]">[a] 45 And if your foot makes you sin, cut it off! Better that you should be lame but obtain eternal life, rather than keep both feet and be thrown into Gei-Hinnom! 46 b]">[b] 47 And if your eye makes you sin, pluck it out! Better that you should be one-eyed but enter the Kingdom of God, rather than keep both eyes and be thrown into Gei-Hinnom,

48 where their worm does not die,
and the fire is not quenched.c]">[c]

49 Indeed, everyone is going to be salted with fire. 50 Salt is excellent, but if it loses its saltiness, how will you season it? So have salt in yourselves — that is, be at peace with each other.” "

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm going through some things in life right now, and just wanted some other opinions. I feel what Mark 9:43 is saying, is that if there is a situation (living or otherwise), a person, a job, etc. that causes you to live in habitual sin, that it's better to cut it off. No matter how painful it might be, or even WHO it might be, knowing that you are doing so for the Lord. You're His child, that he has destined for both His, and your glory, so removing everything that keeps us from allowing us to fulfill said glory is detrimental. That's how I see it, but I'm open to other interpretations.
I believe you have interpreted correctly. Think about how painful it would be to cutoff your hand. Now, think of how liberating it would be to get rid of everything in your life that adds no real value. Especially, those things that are separating you from Gods full blessing.

It would be difficult to purge everything at once, so try pruning a little at a time and be sure to replace whatever you prune with something productive.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

It is easy to say than to do. If you are doing a wrong thing, you WILL know it when it starts to harm you. At that moment, it would be much easier for you to accept what the Scripture says. If you do not feel pain, then you won't quit no matter what.

The real problem is: when you start to feel pain, but you still don't quit. That would be very bad.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It is easy to say than to do. If you are doing a wrong thing, you WILL know it when it starts to harm you. At that moment, it would be much easier for you to accept what the Scripture says. If you do not feel pain, then you won't quit no matter what.

The real problem is: when you start to feel pain, but you still don't quit. That would be very bad.
Ever watch sheep following the shepherd ?

No matter if the sheep is in a gully, caught in a bush, rolled over on its back, wolves all around,
the sheep listens for the SHEPHERD'S VOICE,
and follows the SHEPHERD.

If the sheep is stuck, the SHEPHERD picks it up, or rolls it over, or helps it in any way as needed,
so the sheep can follow the SHEPHERD and not be devoured by the wolves.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ever watch sheep following the shepherd ?

No matter if the sheep is in a gully, caught in a bush, rolled over on its back, wolves all around,
the sheep listens for the SHEPHERD'S VOICE,
and follows the SHEPHERD.

If the sheep is stuck, the SHEPHERD picks it up, or rolls it over, or helps it in any way as needed,
so the sheep can follow the SHEPHERD and not be devoured by the wolves.

Faithfuls learned to be like sheep. Others haven't.

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going through some things in life right now, and just wanted some other opinions. I feel what Mark 9:43 is saying, is that if there is a situation (living or otherwise), a person, a job, etc. that causes you to live in habitual sin, that it's better to cut it off.

What is your situation ?

Reactions: Devin P
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see this as more spiritual. If one tries the get rid of things outside, they will have to continually do this for the rest of their lives. But if you change your self, cut your own hand, take out your own eyes.....You will only have to do it once. If you see a type of person as bad and you get rid of them, they will keep coming back in different forms and the cycle continues. But if you make yourself see the good in this same type of person....pluck out that eye that looks for the negative, You will never see that bad person again.....in anyone.

What if there is something you feel you can't do? Your hand offend you. Cut it off, and see yourself doing it.....believe that you can.....And you will. You will never believe you can't again, because you will eventually prove to yourself that you can. However if you continue to believe you can't, you never will and will live with that offensive hand....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is your situation ?

I harbor feelings of resentment towards a member of my family - due to their condescent and domineering ways. I've prayed and prayed for it to be taken from me, and have talked with them about it, and it'll help for a few days, but then it goes back to normal. It's gotten better slightly and occasionally, but due to their partner's hateful views towards Christ - the person thinks Christ was a vile, corrupted, wicked man - it will never be where I need it to be, because where that person's views are, this member of my family's are sure to follow (based on my history with the person). It's causing my faith to stumble, and is only hurting me. When I'm away from the person, our relationship, while not as constant, is much, much healthier (also based on history). After all, "absence makes the heart grow fonder".

I know that I need to allow Christ to work through me, and allow them to be forgiven in my eyes, but it's hard in the position that I'm in. From a distance I know that I can forgive them. But here, in the trenches, as Christ brings me closer, it's only going to get worse.

I thank everyone for responding. I've gotten some good responses on this matter.

• Prayers
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also, I feel like it's basically saying that you can live how you want, but if a situation or theme can't exist in your life without leading you into sin, cut it out. Jesus ultimately asks that we sell all of our things, and live in poverty, meeting together daily to share our bread (food and money). I've been thinking about this, but ultimately, I feel that he means, if you can't manage to work, and have a house, and love God more than you love those things, sell them. I think I can manage having a small house and still staying obedient with God's word, and plan. We'll have to see though. The whole making homelessness illegal is a bit scary now that I've been led into more scripture.

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is by the Spirit that we interpret. There may be another point and time in your life that this may read differently according to the will of the Spirit for your benefit, but according to your own words, this is not the case, and you have made your thoughts known. It seems at this point and time, there is something in your life that this specifically applies to; for this is how the Spirit has directed you to read and interpret it. Seeking alternative interpretations to this passage is an own fleshly desire to find a different path than one you know to be righteous and true.
James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
Luke 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
If it helps, I myself had a best friend for nearly 30 years. This passage was the instrument of instruction, and as such helped me purge things that kept me from a fuller communion with the Lord. We are no longer friends in the same capacity, as the friendship allowed me to be subject to temptation. The Lord led me away from it. I cut off my hand, so to speak. Albeit, there is some discernment to be made when making decisions such as these. For there are trials we face, that we can withstand and are meant to. However, if it be evil and more of a temptation than a trial, it is best to walk away, for the Lord does not tempt us with evil. Basically, if you are sinning, feel like you are sinning, or feel as though you could be tempted to sin, you already know the higher path to take, for the Lord has imparted that knowledge to you through his Spirit.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
IMO...Mark 9:38-50 is for UNbelievers and Believers, a metaphor and DIRE WARNING of the effect of sin in one's life.

Believers: sin can be forgiven. 1 John 1

UNBelievers: sin is UNforgiven. They have rejected God.
God has forsaken them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

omega2xx

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2017
Knoxville Tn.
✟70,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Widowed

That verse is not to be taken literally. It is an object lesson in logic and teaches the need to be obedient.

What good would your hands do for you in hell?

Hands speak of what we do. Do what God commands. Don't do what He forbids. To obey is better than sacrifice

Feet speak of where we go. Go where God directs. Do go where He forbids.

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the way of the wicked.

Eyes speak of what we see. See with they eyes of the heart and be spiritually enlightened(Eph 1:18). Then you will know what is mentioned in the last part of that verse and what is mentioned in verses 19-23.

Because with the heart man understands with the heart(Acts 28:27);obeys from the heart(Rom 6:17 and believes from the heart(Rom 10:10).

We all know God looks on the heart, not on the outward appearance(I Sam 16:7).

Upvote 0