London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”

39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us. 41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

42 “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea. 43 If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. [44] 45 And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. [46] 47 And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48 where

“‘the worms that eat them do not die,
and the fire is not quenched.’

49 Everyone will be salted with fire.

50 “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt among yourselves, and be at peace with each other.”

I have to preach on this text. On my first reading, there are a number of things that I notice.

1) Verses 44 and 46 are missing. I could discuss the whole authority of the scriptures. Going into depth about how textual criticism and revision work and how the latest and most reliable translations often exclude these verses based on the manuscript evidence. recent publications like "Reinventing Jesus" might help here and the congregation would I believe be affirmed in their trust of scriptures with more understanding of how to counter liberals also.

2) The first part is about unbelievers casting out demons and the second is about being disciplined and ruthless about our moral example lest we cause little ones ( or children to stumble). I could focus on one of these themes or I could attempt to reconcile them in a unifying theme. Here the unifying theme seems to be spiritual warfare. We are in a war where those who do our work are for us and those who counter us are against us. The stakes are high and our bad example or sin causes children to stumble we ourselves are in danger of the fires of hell. This war is thus both against demons out there and the temptations of the flesh within us also. We need to get our act together and counter the world the flesh and the devil more effectively. Such a sermon is a call to set aside our smug self-complacency and get our acts together. A lot of people in the congregation do not even believe in devils but that is not something that should stop me preaching about them.

3) If I focused on the broadmindedness of the first section then I could point out that very often nonChristians do things that reflect the character of Christ and that the church should welcome that as they are fighting the same war we are and indeed aiding our cause.

The shocking language of the second part of the passage reminds us that Jesus the healer was not afraid to pull his punches when he was educating his disciples. His style contrasts with a great deal of modern preaching which may indeed even put God to sleep. He reminds them here of the stake of what they are doing and how they should not set up skandalon (literally live animal traps) for children or indeed themselves with their sins and poor discipline. Jesus says if this part of your body causes you to sin, cut it off! Jesus's concern in both cases is for the advance of his Kingdom and for its external and internal quality.

4) Extra things I noticed or read include:
i) When talking about exorcists John wanted to stop those who were not in his group or one of us. Jesus's reply focuses on whether or not they are doing His work. Altoften we think our ministries are the whole story but Jesus's vision and reach is greater than that. If people are doing His work then it should not matter to us that they are not in our team while doing that.

ii) Here the disciples express frustration with successful but "uncertified" exorcists. Previously they had been unable to cast out demons even though they were "certified" members of the team. Are they thinking more about their careers than the work itself and indeed the person they are serving? Jesus takes an inclusive approach here that respects when people authentically serve his cause with mighty works that reflect his true character.

iii) The need to amputate bad habits from our lives.

iv) Salt adds flavor and helps to preserve food. But adulterated salt does not. If we are impure we do not do Christ's work in this world.

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The person is casting out demons was in Jesus name, why the assumption he is a non believer?

You are right that was John's assumption. I need to be clear that Jesus had a different view of someone doing mighty works in His name and apparently in accordance with His desire

Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He has his reward,

41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

John 20:29

Not sure what you mean here?

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not sure what you mean here?
cup of water a cast out in Jesus name
Basically I think the person was doing this below

Col 3
23Whatever you do, work at it with your whole being, for the Lord and not for men, 24because you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as your reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0