Florida
✟325,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Mar 11:16 And would not suffer that any man should carry any vessel through the temple.

Isn't is only illegal to carry a vessel through the temple on the Sabbath day?

That's part of "the cleansing of the temple". The vessels being carried were filled with things for sale. Jesus didn't want the temple to be used as "a den of thieves". The merchants and moneychangers in the temple were gouging people on prices for the things they needed as part of temple worship. That's also the meaning of Rev 18:11-13. All of the things that were sold in the temple.

Upvote 0

Deafsilence

Feb 22, 2022
Midwest
✟37,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's part of "the cleansing of the temple". The vessels being carried were filled with things for sale. Jesus didn't want the temple to be used as "a den of thieves". The merchants and moneychangers in the temple were gouging people on prices for the things they needed as part of temple worship. That's also the meaning of Rev 18:11-13. All of the things that were sold in the temple.

Thank you for the reply. Do you think there was Jewish law that forbade this on the Sabbath Day and that is why Jesus did this or do you think it was forbidden on all days? Obviously the money changers are necessary for the Jews to purchase the required animal necessary for sacrifice.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the reply. Do you think there was Jewish law that forbade this on the Sabbath Day and that is why Jesus did this or do you think it was forbidden on all days? Obviously the money changers are necessary for the Jews to purchase the required animal necessary for sacrifice.

I understand your question. Your question has to do with what was considered to be work on the Sabbath. Carrying a vessel would have been considered work so would have been prohibited. But in the case of Mark 11:16 it isn't a case of performing work, but gouging people on prices.

Upvote 0

Deafsilence

Feb 22, 2022
Midwest
✟37,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I understand your question. Your question has to do with what was considered to be work on the Sabbath. Carrying a vessel would have been considered work so would have been prohibited. But in the case of Mark 11:16 it isn't a case of performing work, but gouging people on prices.

Well the rest of that context would say that but here it says in this specific verse that Jesus wouldn't let any man carry a vessel through the Temple. That would implies that this day was very much the Sabbath day. Wouldn't you agree? I know of no prohibition EXCEPT for on the Sabbath where you cannot carry a vessel through the Temple.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well the rest of that context would say that but here it says in this specific verse that Jesus wouldn't let any man carry a vessel through the Temple. That would implies that this day was very much the Sabbath day. Wouldn't you agree? I know of no prohibition EXCEPT for on the Sabbath where you cannot carry a vessel through the Temple.
Jesus prohibited the selling of sacrificial animals in the temple. He turned over the tables of the money changers and those who sold doves.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everyday of the week or just the Sabbath?
It does matter. The Roman army destroyed the temple in 70 AD in an effort to defeat the Jews. According to a Flavius Josephus, they tore the temple stones apart in search of gold that had melted in the fire. Not one stone was left upon another. The daily sacrifices ceased. They could not sell sacrificial doves there because the temple was no more.

Upvote 0

Deafsilence

Feb 22, 2022
Midwest
✟37,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It does matter. The Roman army destroyed the temple in 70 AD in an effort to defeat the Jews. According to a Flavius Josephus, they tore the temple stones apart in search of gold that had melted in the fire. Not one stone was left upon another. The daily sacrifices ceased. They could not sell sacrificial doves there because the temple was no more.

Yes, but I was asking if there was a law or something that prevented carry a vessel through the Temple during the work days. I understand it was illegal on the Sabbath but what about the work days?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mar 11:16 And would not suffer that any man should carry any vessel through the temple.

Isn't is only illegal to carry a vessel through the temple on the Sabbath day?
Seems the temple area was being used as a shortcut between the city and the Mount of Olives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seems the temple area was being used as a shortcut between the city and the Mount of Olives.
Jesus did not want people to turn the Temple into a marketplace. He had attracted a multitude of followers. They lined the road on the Mount of Olives to see him. They put palm fronds on the road before him. He had been teaching many things. His fame had spread across the land.

Mark 11:27 (ASV) And they come again to Jerusalem: and as he was walking in the temple, there come to him the chief priests, and the scribes, and the elders; 28 and they said unto him, By what authority doest thou these things? or who gave thee this authority to do these things? 29 And Jesus said unto them, I will ask of you one question, and answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things. 30 The baptism of John, was it from heaven, or from men? answer me. 31 And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say, Why then did ye not believe him? 32 But should we say, From men—they feared the people: for all verily held John to be a prophet. 33 And they answered Jesus and say, We know not. And Jesus saith unto them, Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things.

Upvote 0