Zalu

Dec 13, 2010
Puyallup, WA
✟7,790.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Throughout my life, I've always had this... hatred for marijuana use (Not referring to medical use, I'm mildly okay with that purpose). Overall drug use as well, but there's something special about that particular one. I'd say I only strongly dislike, but that's the definition of hate. I've never tried it, and don't plan on it, so it's not through a bad experience with it of myself or family. There's just something about what it does to people. Makes them apathetic, lazy, stupid, perverse... Just overall corrupting. As soon as I find out someone does that stuff, I instantly lose all respect for them. I still have a love for them, and would do a lot to help them, but I don't want to associate with them anymore.

As of this past week, I got to hangout with a good friend and met some of her friends, which turned out to be non-believers. Thought nothing of it, until I found out they did that stuff (don't even like referring to it...). I lost pretty much all respect for them at that point, and it put me in a bad mood to be around them. I stuck it out until the end of the movie we were watching (which was really bad already). This worries me about her, because I feel she'll fall to peer pressure really easily around them. She says she doesn't hang out with them often, but all it takes is one time... I just reference 1 Corinthians 15:33.

1. Is it right for me to lose respect for people because they do that stuff? I'm not talking about a moment where they backslide and fall into old ways or something, but regular use of it.

2. Should I be worried? It concerns me greatly, because I know God has a big part in this friendship (long story), and she generally doesn't seek God or His will, just goes about thinking that her way is correct because she isn't sinning.

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I think you can reasonably worry for her, you generally become like the people you hang around and you do generally begin to sympathise with the things people who you allow around you, do. I am would assume that while she may not smoke it, she probly does have a certain level of apathy, appreciation or sympathy for smoking it or else she wouldn't enjoy hanging around people who make it a part of their life.

I do believe it will eventually grow on her and she will have the ability to find smoking pot reasonable or justified. Will she do it? I don't know.

I do think she needs your prayers. God can change peoples hearts when our words cannot and our prayers enable God who can do far more than our words.

Should you feel so disgusted by people who do this? I don't think so. I don't believe any special focus, desire, intent or significance is warranted by certain kinds of sins. I do not believe it should reach the level of effecting your ability to want to be and being able to be a Godly witness and influence in their lives if you are actually supposed to be. Seek the Lord. If he would have you be close to them then you will need the ability to do so, unhindered by your personal feelings. He may not want you to be the tool in their lives.

I don't think you should consider this a special type of disgusting sin.
I do think she needs help but don't destroy relationships in the process.

Sometimes the tares can't be removed without destroying the wheat, so you may just need to continue to pray and allow God's gentle hand to work on her heart. Sometimes it takes time to save or change a person.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There's just something about what it does to people. Makes them apathetic, lazy, stupid, perverse... Just overall corrupting. As soon as I find out someone does that stuff, I instantly lose all respect for them. I still have a love for them, and would do a lot to help them....Is it right for me to lose respect for people because they do that stuff?
I like that description. It is accurate from observation, not just taking off on a religious tirade. It is common knowledge.

It seems fair to address what you don't like about it. After a certain point, interactions are not going to be mutually beneficial, productive, or coherent enough to be worth spending time on. If they light up, just take the stance that "nothing" happens from that point on, and promise to come back later (when they will remember what they talk about).

If you are in a region where it is illegal, they also put you at risk of being charged for possession.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
All sin disgusts me so I think it's normal (for a Christian) to be disgusted when people are poisoning their bodies and minds just as much as anything else. I agree that you shouldn't segment it as a "special" sin - it's just as bad as all the rest.

Upvote 0

lilistan

Feb 27, 2011
✟15,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
Whether or not you lose respect for someone is only up to you and no one can judge your decision.
I personally think that's a bit harsh though, since there are many respectable people who did that - including ex-presidents/inventors/writers/actors etc...
I try to judge according to actions rather than stereotypes.

Upvote 0

BabySteps

Feb 4, 2011
✟15,324.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it's reasonable to be concerned about it, but you shouldn't get in a bad mood around people, I think you need to show love to all people, even those actively involved in any particular sin, what did Christ do? he came into the world for sinners, not the "righteous". I find it perfectly natural to be averted by something you are convicted is wrong though.

on a sidenote I want to voice my experience with it, when I would first smoke it, it always just had that element of getting really self conscious, like a convicting nature to it, I'd smoke and thoughts would just race about bad stuff I have done and make me feel really bad or reflect heavily on what bad things I have done, or if I was already on some level self conscious about an aspect of myself it would bring it out heavier on my mind. like my opponent trying to down me, I first took it as maybe this herb helps me to see my sin and change(everytime I got "high" I felt a strong need to quit cigarettes, treat my family nicer, reflectiveness, but at the same time I always had that element of paranoia, like if I was worried about something happening before hand it would blow up way more in my mind when I would smoke. this effect stayed wit me pretty consistently.... it would put me on a deeper level I suppose, but after a while it was all purely negative. at first I would smoke and like wake up the next day so rejuvenated, but I would start smoking all the time and now after each smoking session I will just feel so tired sleep for hours upon hours and be very irritable...

I could not even focus when I was not high or even enjoy things, but as soon as I lit up it's like all my senses came back, that's the nature of addiction I suppose, you'll feel better when you come back to me, but when you come back down it's back to that hell again... and keeping using to feel better just reinforces those bad feelings when you come down, after I quit for a bit, I feel great in my normal everyday God given state of mind!

lol testimony of sorts I suppose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SADay1289

Apr 18, 2011
✟15,141.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well...I know alot of people that smoke pot and I use to before becoming a Christian. Honestly I have found that it brings out truth in people.

Hear me out haha.

People have a sinful nature and I just feel like when people get high they let their guard down of trying to be a "good person" and open more up to a self involved world. The lazyniess comes from a selfish desire more then an actual side effect especially because some types will make you hyper.

So I feel that it makes people genuine...but to automatically feel less about someone because of something like that can be alittle harsh (no offence). Most people that do it regularly have a reason for it. Whether its stress relief or another psychological issue generally it can be associated to something that isn't ideal in their life.

I'd take it more as a sign of someone who is struggling with life then that they are a bad person.

And I would say you have right to be concerned about your friend and let her know but at the same time I don't mean concern as in worry that she will start smoking just more on a philosophical stand point. Ideas are powerful things and generally the kind of stuff that people come up with when they are high can be really stupid. But if she is a strong believer then you may even want to encourage her ministry to them and be more concerned about her losing heart that she'll be able to reach them.

Upvote 0