Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maranatha! in the Bible can be translated as: Come quickly Lord Jesus!

I Cor.16:22: "If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed. O Lord, come!" (All NKJV )

The Greek for "Come, Lord" reproduces an Aramaic expression (Marana tha) used by early Christians.

The last thing in the Bible from our Lord Jesus ("He who testifies to these things") in Revelation 22:20:
"He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming quickly.”
Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!"

So you put that all together and you get: Maranatha! Come quickly Lord Jesus!

• "The Love of God" by Maranatha! Music

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Such a warm and proper contribution, , "Maranatha", as my prayer-warrior Grandmother used to close all her letters. Maranatha! Come Lord Jesus!!

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Such a warm and proper contribution, , "Maranatha", as my prayer-warrior Grandmother used to close all her letters. Maranatha! Come Lord Jesus!!

Thank you. Your Grandmother must have been a wise women.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Maranatha! in the Bible can be translated as: Come quickly Lord Jesus!

I Cor.16:22: "If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed. O Lord, come!" (All NKJV )

The Greek for "Come, Lord" reproduces an Aramaic expression (Marana tha) used by early Christians.

The last thing in the Bible from our Lord Jesus ("He who testifies to these things") in Revelation 22:20:
"He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming quickly.”
Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!"

So you put that all together and you get: Maranatha! Come quickly Lord Jesus!

• "The Love of God" by Maranatha! Music

Amen and amen!! What a lovely and powerful meditation and song.

Praise God!

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

I agree with Mnorian....your Grandmother must have been a very wise woman.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
John Main, a Catholic Benedictine, started a Christian meditation group using "ma-ra-na-tha "as a sample mantra. This was like in the seventies. But the groups are still going to my knowledge.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Oh my, must have. The love for family - she could weep for at 'the drop of a hat'. And you know, she didn't express this side of her to the other non-churched family members. She would tell me how my father accepted Christ as a youngster, then walked away from church never to darken its doors again, so sad, both of them now passed.

But now you can imagine what environment me and my siblings were subject to. I was the only one whom received Christ's full invitation after moving 900-miles away. It was those letters that whisked me away from depression.

After coming to Christ and the full-Gospel message, one visit back home on vacation with grandmother "Mary", she added to our already fervent love for each other; "Good talk". How I miss her!

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Oh my, must have. The love for family - she could weep for at 'the drop of a hat'. And you know, she didn't express this side of her to the other non-churched family members. She would tell me how my father accepted Christ as a youngster, then walked away from church never to darken its doors again, so sad, both of them now passed.

But now you can imagine what environment me and my siblings were subject to. I was the only one whom received Christ's full invitation after moving 900-miles away. It was those letters that whisked me away from depression.

After coming to Christ and the full-Gospel message, one visit back home on vacation with grandmother "Mary", she added to our already fervent love for each other; "Good talk". How I miss her!

Yes, grandmother "Mary" sounds like she was very very wise. What a precious treasure.

The inexplicable thing about God's grace, is that it DOES work in mysterious ways, especially in situations like your dad's, where it may have appeared that he never spoke to God again. God, in His inexplicable grace CAN reach down, and with someone's last breath or crying, even if it's "silent", and snatch up that one from the jaws of destruction.

I believe with all my heart that it was so with my own father.

God heard every single one of your Grandmother's prayers, including those many prayers for your father, and the tears she shed.

He ANSWERS those prayers. Sometimes in ways we cannot see.

He answered her prayers for you too.

For me, it was my grandmother's father on my mother's side. He was a Godly man and he would read the bible to all his grandchildren, etc. I am convinced that God answered his prayers for all the generations after him. And i believe that is why i did something so unlikely, and that is to embrace Jesus as my Savior and bend my knee to a holy God.

God's providence in inexplicable and glorious.

Thank you for sharing about you and your Grandmother.

God bless you. :)

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen and amen!! What a lovely and powerful meditation and song.
Praise God!

Thank you; but the real power is in Jesus' promise to bring redemption with Him; that's why we yearn for His return and say; Maranatha!:amen:

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you; but the real power is in Jesus' promise to bring redemption with Him; that's why we yearn for His return and say; Maranatha!:amen:

Amen!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
After seeing some skeptical remarks on how the grammar provide for us this emphatic declaration, which, even if proved to detach with "has come" rather than it's cemented "to come" makes no difference to me.

I agree and also yearn, celebrate the latter!

From that oft-skeptical resource itself:

Maranatha - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
God, in His inexplicable grace CAN reach down, and with someone's last breath or crying, even if it's "silent", and snatch up that one from the jaws of destruction.
To borrow one more post from the OPr, eerily dear Brinny, this is what happened to mine.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, silent too.

Praise God!!!

God gave me the assurance that my father is with him. My dad was estranged from the family, and in a room, and he used to smoke. It's believed that he was smoking in bed and a fire started. He died of smoke inhalation. God gave me the unction that my father cried out to God with his last breath, and that God snatched him up. There was also a Bible in the room.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Praise God!!!

God gave me the assurance that my father is with him. My dad was estranged from the family, and in a room, and he used to smoke. It's believed that he was smoking in bed and a fire started. He died of smoke inhalation. God gave me the unction that my father cried out to God with his last breath, and that God snatched him up. There was also a Bible in the room.
God of mercy and who desires such, thank you Lord!

Much the same, smoker and to-the-hilt stubborn to resist hospital till he slipped into unconsciousness. With a few days to live and on full-life support I flew back home and had to leave him there to return to work, summoned my non-churched Mother to fetch the AoG on the hill to minister to him which Mom said "he smiled", was to me his confession of Christ with the mouth.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
God of mercy and who desires such, thank you Lord!

Much the same, smoker and to-the-hilt stubborn to resist hospital till he slipped into unconsciousness. With a few days to live and on full-life support I flew back home and had to leave him there to return to work, summoned my non-churched Mother to fetch the AoG on the hill to minister to him which Mom said "he smiled", was to me his confession of Christ with the mouth.

Praise God!!!! That's is confirmation of God answering ALL those prayers. He is a GOOD God!!

Precious.

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟200,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LORD, thank you for the grandmothers who are the foundational rocks of many of our families, clinging to your word for all to see. Thank you for all those grandmas, sage and wise, in Your Holy Word, who stand firm for Your Kingdom so others may see and learn. Thank you LORD, for they who witnessed and discipled the love of Jesus to their grandchildren and others, being substitute parents, and workers of the harvest. Thank you Dear LORD, for bringing one of those grandmas into my life. Maranatha! Come quickly Lord Jesus!

• Winner
Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0