Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Man, Woman, Werewolf and Midwife – a little history of English genders.

Back in the mid-5th century a bunch of Germanic tribes crossed the North Sea as part of an invasion of Britain lasting several decades. This invasion largely displaced the local Celtic tribes pushing them to the west of the island into regions now known as Wales and Cornwall. The invaders also brought their own language, replacing native Celtic with a mix of related Germanic dialects (Angle, Saxon, Jute, Friesian) that we now know as Old English or Anglo Saxon.

One of the words these newcomers brought with them was ‘wer’ meaning adult male; the equivalent of the Modern English word ‘man’. The word ‘mann’ actually existed in Anglo Saxon but it had a broader meaning. Back then, ‘mann’ was a collective term for ‘people’ (male or female) or ‘human beings’. You can still hear this non-gendered meaning in words like ‘manslaughter’ or ‘mankind’ or phrases like ‘the ascent of man’. The gender-neutral version of ‘man’ is also retained in the word ‘woman’.

Wer’ practically vanished from English by the 13th century to be replaced by ‘man’ which gradually became the accepted word for a male adult - but ‘wer’ didn’t completely disappear. It hung around in history books in words like ‘wergild’ (man-payment); an old Anglo-Saxon term for compensation paid to relatives of a murder victim to avoid a blood feud. It also stuck around in the mythical ‘werewolf’ or ‘man – wolf’. ‘Werewolf’ or a similar form (weerwolf, varulf) is common to a number of Germanic languages.

While Old English ‘wer’ meant ‘man’ its female equivalent was ‘wif’ meaning ‘woman’. Over time ‘wif’ morphed into ‘wife’ (a married woman). You can still see the original sense of ‘woman’ in words like ‘midwife’. ‘Midwife’ translates literally as ‘with-woman’ – a reference to the role of a midwife in supporting a woman in childbirth. It also exists in ‘housewife’ (house-woman). We came close to losing ‘housewife’. ‘Huswif’, the early version of ‘housewife’, contracted to ‘huzzy’ and began to take on negative connotations of a woman who behaves in a brash, disrespectful or inappropriate way. To preserve the original, respectable meaning, the language shifted to a full pronunciation of the word ‘housewife’. At the same time ‘huzzy’ became ‘hussy’ and remained in the language along with its negative connotations.

By the 8th century ‘wif’ had become conjoined with ‘man’ to make ‘wif-man ’meaning female-person. As time passed the ‘f’ was lost and, eventually, ‘wif-man’ became ‘women’ or its singular form, ‘woman’. Notice we still pronounce ‘women’ as ‘wimmen’ retaining the original ‘i’ sound from ‘wif’.

A wife’s marital partner is her husband. Like ‘huswif’, the ‘hus’ in ‘husband’ means house. ‘Husband’ reached Britain via Old Norse, probably imported by Viking settlers. ‘Band’ roughly translates as ‘dweller’ making ‘husband’ literally ‘house-dweller’ although its Old English meaning was probably closer to ‘man of the house’. Surprisingly, the slang-shortened version of husband, ‘hubby’, dates way back to the 1680s.

That just leaves ‘male’ and ‘female’ to complete the sets of gender pairs – wif and wer, man and woman, husband and wife.

In spite of appearances, ‘male’ and ‘female’ are not etymologically related. In the 11th century the Norman French, under William the Bastard, invaded and conquered Britain. The linguistic outcome was a flood of Norman French words which came close to swamping, the now native, Old English.

‘Male’ arrived into English around the 14th century in more or less its present form and meaning. ‘Male’ was originally adopted into early French from its Latin equivalent.

‘Female’ derives from another 14th century French import, ‘femelle’. ‘Femelle’ also has Latin origins and appears to trace back to a term meaning ‘she who suckles’. The shift in English spelling from ‘femelle’ to ‘female’ was probably influenced by an (incorrect) association with ‘male’.

OB

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Man, Woman, Werewolf and Midwife – a little history of English genders.

Back in the mid-5th century a bunch of Germanic tribes crossed the North Sea as part of an invasion of Britain lasting several decades. This invasion largely displaced the local Celtic tribes pushing them to the west of the island into regions now known as Wales and Cornwall. The invaders also brought their own language, replacing native Celtic with a mix of related Germanic dialects (Angle, Saxon, Jute, Friesian) that we now know as Old English or Anglo Saxon.

One of the words these newcomers brought with them was ‘wer’ meaning adult male; the equivalent of the Modern English word ‘man’. The word ‘mann’ actually existed in Anglo Saxon but it had a broader meaning. Back then, ‘mann’ was a collective term for ‘people’ (male or female) or ‘human beings’. You can still hear this non-gendered meaning in words like ‘manslaughter’ or ‘mankind’ or phrases like ‘the ascent of man’. The gender-neutral version of ‘man’ is also retained in the word ‘woman’.

Wer’ practically vanished from English by the 13th century to be replaced by ‘man’ which gradually became the accepted word for a male adult - but ‘wer’ didn’t completely disappear. It hung around in history books in words like ‘wergild’ (man-payment); an old Anglo-Saxon term for compensation paid to relatives of a murder victim to avoid a blood feud. It also stuck around in the mythical ‘werewolf’ or ‘man – wolf’. ‘Werewolf’ or a similar form (weerwolf, varulf) is common to a number of Germanic languages.

While Old English ‘wer’ meant ‘man’ its female equivalent was ‘wif’ meaning ‘woman’. Over time ‘wif’ morphed into ‘wife’ (a married woman). You can still see the original sense of ‘woman’ in words like ‘midwife’. ‘Midwife’ translates literally as ‘with-woman’ – a reference to the role of a midwife in supporting a woman in childbirth. It also exists in ‘housewife’ (house-woman). We came close to losing ‘housewife’. ‘Huswif’, the early version of ‘housewife’, contracted to ‘huzzy’ and began to take on negative connotations of a woman who behaves in a brash, disrespectful or inappropriate way. To preserve the original, respectable meaning, the language shifted to a full pronunciation of the word ‘housewife’. At the same time ‘huzzy’ became ‘hussy’ and remained in the language along with its negative connotations.

By the 8th century ‘wif’ had become conjoined with ‘man’ to make ‘wif-man ’meaning female-person. As time passed the ‘f’ was lost and, eventually, ‘wif-man’ became ‘women’ or its singular form, ‘woman’. Notice we still pronounce ‘women’ as ‘wimmen’ retaining the original ‘i’ sound from ‘wif’.

A wife’s marital partner is her husband. Like ‘huswif’, the ‘hus’ in ‘husband’ means house. ‘Husband’ reached Britain via Old Norse, probably imported by Viking settlers. ‘Band’ roughly translates as ‘dweller’ making ‘husband’ literally ‘house-dweller’ although its Old English meaning was probably closer to ‘man of the house’. Surprisingly, the slang-shortened version of husband, ‘hubby’, dates way back to the 1680s.

That just leaves ‘male’ and ‘female’ to complete the sets of gender pairs – wif and wer, man and woman, husband and wife.

In spite of appearances, ‘male’ and ‘female’ are not etymologically related. In the 11th century the Norman French, under William the Bastard, invaded and conquered Britain. The linguistic outcome was a flood of Norman French words which came close to swamping, the now native, Old English.

‘Male’ arrived into English around the 14th century in more or less its present form and meaning. ‘Male’ was originally adopted into early French from its Latin equivalent.

‘Female’ derives from another 14th century French import, ‘femelle’. ‘Femelle’ also has Latin origins and appears to trace back to a term meaning ‘she who suckles’. The shift in English spelling from ‘femelle’ to ‘female’ was probably influenced by an (incorrect) association with ‘male’.

OB
Really interesting and informative. Thank you for posting OB. I’m going to research this as well.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
To add a little bit of non-English perspective, the English are the rude bunch in the Germanic family. Everyone else uses some form of Vrou or Frau or such as the basic gender word, which ultimately means 'Lady' - as in female form of a Lord.
This is a possible etymological cognate for the word free as well. Old English still had frowe for a woman too, which survived in areas as a regional word for a bit, but is extinct now as far as I know.

My native Afrikaans has 'mannetjie' and 'wyfie' for the gender terms in animals, and 'wyf' survives as an archaic term for a shrewish woman. 'Mens' is the word for a human, the descendant of the same word that gave English man. 'Man' and 'vrou' are the normal human gender terms, but also used for husband and wife depending on context. We also stil have 'weerwolf' for a werewolf. Old English wer is also related to Latin Vir for man, so a distant relative of other English words like virile derived from it.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
To add a little bit of non-English perspective, the English are the rude bunch in the Germanic family. Everyone else uses some form of Vrou or Frau or such as the basic gender word, which ultimately means 'Lady' - as in female form of a Lord.
'Lady' and 'Lord' have specific (if arguable) origins in Old English. The linkage (which I want to believe) is to Lady as the preparer of the bread and Lord as the 'protector of the bread. There is also an interesting side issue where 'hlaf' the word for bread becomes 'loaf' - a form of bread.

This is a possible etymological cognate for the word free as well. Old English still had frowe for a woman too, which survived in areas as a regional word for a bit, but is extinct now as far as I know.
There is a very vague connection between free and Old English 'freo ' (wife). The link between free and frowe appears tenuous.

My native Afrikaans has 'mannetjie' and 'wyfie' for the gender terms in animals, and 'wyf' survives as an archaic term for a shrewish woman. 'Mens' is the word for a human, the descendant of the same word that gave English man. 'Man' and 'vrou' are the normal human gender terms, but also used for husband and wife depending on context. We also stil have 'weerwolf' for a werewolf. Old English wer is also related to Latin Vir for man, so a distant relative of other English words like virile derived from it.
As a relatively new language I'm not particularly familiar with, I'm not sure whether Afrikaans has achieved status as a language in its own right or is regarded as a Netherlandish dialect. The benchmark for a separate language is "mutual intelligibility". This would require more than an augmented vocabulary. Unintelligibility implies changes to vocab, grammar and pronunciation.

OB

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
'Lady' and 'Lord' have specific (if arguable) origins in Old English. The linkage (which I want to believe) is to Lady as the preparer of the bread and Lord as the 'protector of the bread. There is also an interesting side issue where 'hlaf' the word for bread becomes 'loaf' - a form of bread.
That is not what I was referring to. The Frau-words are derived from proto-Germanic frawjo which means a high-born female. I've read a theory that English lost the address secondary to the Norman Conquest, so that English women were no longer addressed as ladies, but I am not wholely convinced of the argument.

There is a very vague connection between free and Old English 'freo ' (wife). The link between free and frowe appears tenuous.
Hence possible cognate.

As a relatively new language I'm not particularly familiar with, I'm not sure whether Afrikaans has achieved status as a language in its own right or is regarded as a Netherlandish dialect. The benchmark for a separate language is "mutual intelligibility". This would require more than an augmented vocabulary. Unintelligibility implies changes to vocab, grammar and pronunciation.
Oh, its a language. Regardless that was not the point. The point was the related words still present in the West-Germanic tongue I myself speak, to the Old English wif - even to the point of undergoing a similar development to hussy. It shows remarkable parallel development in quite different Germanic languages under different conditions.

Dutch people can understand Afrikaans to an extent, but we have a lot more difficulty with Dutch. The grammar is also quite different from Dutch, most notably a double negative and no grammatical gender, though the vocabularly is closely related. Afrikaans is actually a partially restandardised creole of Dutch, German, French, Malay and Khoisan tongues, under the sustained influence of the Dutch Statenbijbel. It arose in the 1650s to 1750s in the Cape prior to the British conquest, when intermarriage with slaves such were rife, and when the Huguenot French arrived. Interestingly the first texts in Afrikaans were commentaries on the Koran and Islamic Jurisprudence written for the Cape Malay population, and written in Arabic script.

The difference between a dialect and a language is fuzzy, as the old joke is that a language is merely a dialect backed by an army and a navy. For instance, Mandarin Chinese and Arabic should really be a couple of languages, but they are treated as dialects for political reasons.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
The important thing is whether any wers tried to play on the wif lacrosse team.

It reminds me why my advisor suggested I might not want to continue in European Lit.

lacrosse (n.)
1850, American English, from Canadian French jeu de la crosse (18c.), literally "game of the hooked sticks," from crosse "hooked stick," such as that used in the game to throw the ball. This French word is, perhaps via a Gallo-Romance *croccia, from Proto-Germanic *kruk- (see crook (n.)). Originally a North American Indian game; the native name is represented by the Ojibwa (Algonquian) verb baaga'adowe "to play lacrosse." Modern form and rules of the game were laid down 1860 in Canada.
(Sorry - it's a compulsion. I just can't help it :( )

OB

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lacrosse (n.)
1850, American English, from Canadian French jeu de la crosse (18c.), literally "game of the hooked sticks," from crosse "hooked stick," such as that used in the game to throw the ball. This French word is, perhaps via a Gallo-Romance *croccia, from Proto-Germanic *kruk- (see crook (n.)). Originally a North American Indian game; the native name is represented by the Ojibwa (Algonquian) verb baaga'adowe "to play lacrosse." Modern form and rules of the game were laid down 1860 in Canada.
(Sorry - it's a compulsion. I just can't help it :( )

OB
Make it stooooooooppppp!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0