Jun 19, 2004
Florida
✟390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanking Jesus in Court Lands Man in Jail

Hawaii man jailed for contempt after raising his hands and saying 'Thank, You Jesus!' in court

HONOLULU, Jul. 14, 2006
(AP) Junior Stowers raised his hands and exclaimed, "Thank you, Jesus!" in court last month when he was acquitted by a jury of abusing his son.

But his joy was short-lived when Circuit Judge Patrick Border held him in contempt of court for the "outburst" and threw him in jail.

Stowers, 47, sat in the courtroom and a cellblock for about six hours until the judge granted him a hearing on the contempt charge and released him.

The judge at a July 7 hearing dropped the contempt charge, a petty misdemeanor that carries up to 30 days in jail.

Stowers couldn't be reached for comment. But his attorney in the contempt case, Deputy Public Defender Susan Arnett, said he wasn't treated fairly.

"I don't think there's anything about saying 'Thank you, Jesus' that rises to the level of contemptuous behavior in this case," she told The Honolulu Advertiser.

Stowers is a devoutly religious man active in his church who spontaneously expressed his thanks to the higher power in which he believed, she said.

Family members and Stowers' pastor at Assembly of God Church, Iakopo Sale, who watched from the gallery were "very upset that those words could land somebody in jail," Arnett said.

Border declined to comment but indicated the court minutes reflected his actions. The minutes showed he found Stowers' "nonverbal gestures and outbursts to be disruptive and improper regardless of content."

Court minutes said Border later dropped the charge because he realized Stowers' trial lawyer, Deputy Public Defender Carmel Kwock, did not have time to tell Stowers the judge had ordered both sides not to show emotion when the verdict was announced.

Link to Full Article

Heiroglyph

Jan 6, 2005
✟7,492.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
InsaneRecluse said:
if i ever get my hands on that judge, o boy he'd wish he was never born.
What would Jesus say?
Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Upvote 0

apaige

Apr 9, 2006
✟15,206.00
Faith
Seeker
Let's look at this so-called Christian-hating judge's record, shall we?

http://www.hawaii.gov/gov/news/releases/2004/News_Item.2004-01-20.1542

Border is active in various professional and community organizations, including the Inter Pacific Bar Association, American Bar Association, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Consumer Lawyers of Hawai`i, Mediation Center of the Pacific, and the New Hope Christian Fellowship Prison Ministry. He was previously involved with the Asia Pacific Lawyers Association and Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Honolulu.

Anyone know what this "New Hope Christian" thing is? Is it some kind of cult? I ain't never heard of no new hope around these here parts.

Upvote 0

bammertheblue

Veteran
Feb 10, 2006
Washington, DC
✟10,377.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The title of this OP is misleading. This man (or any other participant in this trial) would have been charged with contempt for any kind of outburst, religious or otherwise. If he'd said "**** yeah!" he'd have been charged as well.
The attorney should have advised his client on the judge's disposition. It has nothing to do with Jesus.

Rule #1: LISTEN TO THE JUDGE!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
eaglex said:
I would hope that Mr. Stowers would file a lawsuit against that judge. The judge was plainly out of line here.

Why ? the Judge stated no outburst in court after the vertict was read (and that is normal for almost all corts that I know of), and the guy ignored it & had a outburt anyways.

Upvote 0

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Quantos said:
Why ? the Judge stated no outburst in court after the vertict was read (and that is normal for almost all corts that I know of), and the guy ignored it & had a outburt anyways.

Yup. I wonder what they would be saying if a muslim was charged with contempt for yelling, "praise Allah"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nightson

Take two snuggles and call me in the morning
Jul 11, 2005
California
✟5,839.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
eaglex said:
I would hope that Mr. Stowers would file a lawsuit against that judge. The judge was plainly out of line here.

And students should file lawsuits when teachers tell them not to shout in class as well.

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
eaglex said:

Judicial immunity is pretty close to absolute, so any suit would be dismissed immediately.

Upvote 0

xMinionX

Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
✟18,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Border declined to comment but indicated the court minutes reflected his actions. The minutes showed he found Stowers' "nonverbal gestures and outbursts to be disruptive and improper regardless of content."

This seems to imply that Stowers was disruptive throughout the trial.

Court minutes said Border later dropped the charge because he realized Stowers' trial lawyer, Deputy Public Defender Carmel Kwock, did not have time to tell Stowers the judge had ordered both sides not to show emotion when the verdict was announced.

And he dropped the charges anyway, because of a communication error between the judge, the PD, and the defendant.

So the OP and article title is extremely misleading. As it stands, it reads as though the man is still sitting in jail, and that the judge specified the content of his outburst (rather than the outburst itself) as the reason for the contempt charge.

Bad form.

Upvote 0