Malchus' Ear ?

osceolaflyer

Dec 12, 2010
✟15,112.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
In the Gospel of John in the New Testament of the Bible, Malchus is the High Priest's servant, who participated in the arrest of Jesus. One of the disciples, Peter according to John, being armed with a sword, cut off the servant's ear in an attempt to prevent his Master's arrest.

The story is related in all four gospels, John 18:10–11; Matthew 26:51; Mark 14:47; and Luke 22:51, but the servant and the disciple are named only in John. Also, Luke is the only gospel that says Jesus healed the ear.

The relevant passage in the Gospel of John, KJV, reads:

"Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus. Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the scabbard: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?"

Why would this amazing miracle (Malchus' ear being healed) performed right in front of the high priests eyes only be told in Luke's gospel? I believe this was the only miracle preformed right in front of the high priests. And it is never mentioned again. I would have thought at least one other person would have written of this event. It causes me to wonder if it really happened the way it is portrayed in Luke.

I have always been told and believe the bible confirms it's self. This account does not. :amen:

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
This is a really good read on Malchus' ear ...

http://ll.newsforchristians.com/sermons/sermon038.html

here's a sample part I really liked ...

[SIZE=-1]II. JESUS NEVER LEFT A SITUATION UNDONE OR PARTIALLY DONE.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Throughout His life and ministry Jesus was always thorough and complete in His dealings. When John the Baptist questioned the propriety of baptizing Jesus, He said, "Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness." (Mat. 3:15) He reminded the disciples, "My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work." (John 4:34)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I once knew a man who was a good mechanic. He could repair car engines and bodies as well as anyone. Though not his profession, it was his passion and his hobby. He decided to buy wrecked cars, fix them, and sell them for a profit. His only problem was that he could never finish the repairs. He would get one almost fixed, then see a "bargain" vehicle that he had to purchase. He accumulated so many wrecked cars in his yard that the county government zoned his property as a junkyard! He certianly didn't start out to accumulate a junkyard, but, because of his inability to finish a project, he became a laughingstock in the neighborhood.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]How many of us live our Christian lives like that man? We start out to read the Bible through in a year, but quit after a few weeks. We decide to devote 15 minutes a day to prayer, but get so busy we forget it. We take a ministry in our church only to give it up when the going gets rough. Finish what you start![/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]When Jesus bowed His head on the cross, His last words were, "It is finished." He left a legacy of finishing what He started. He could have allowed Himself to be taken by the mob without healing Malchus' ear. But that was not His way.[/SIZE]

blessings
lilmiss

Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟32,240.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Ive always thought of Malchus ear miracle in light of our Christian character… who of us can truly say that we haven’t cut off any ears… How many of us in the attitude of defending Christ (or in the name of Christianity, because we think we are always right ) has wielded he “Sword” and cut off another ears…and then we expect them to “hear”what the Spirit has to say…

How many “Malchus ears” hasn’t Christ healed, because of the ignorance of bold “Peters”…

Upvote 0

MPaul

Covered by the Blood
Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
✟8,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have always been told and believe the bible confirms it's self. This account does not. :amen:

OK, I get it. Because the Bible isn't written the way God should have written it, it is something different than what it says it is. You know the mind of God and how he should write, therefore, you can make up tests which disprove the Bible. And then, we could move on to what is wrong with creation as it exists, thus proving there is no God. (Let's not consider for now to what extent you have studied the traditions of ancient literary conventions – which also would have to be considered relevant for your inquiry).

However, the Bible does not uphold the test you use for authentication but another – prophecy, Isaiah 46:9,10. We know the Bible is the Word of God because of its prophetic predictions. Seeing as this is the test the Bible upholds for confirming it is the Word of God, would it not be better if you simply set out how it has got prophecy all wrong? Or how it got any prophecy wrong?

I have a link on my web site to an article I wrote on examples of how prophecy proves the Bible is the Word of God: (“Prophecy – Knowing the Bible Is the Word of God”). This article does reference a passage in Luke that a Roman Emperor tried to disprove, but failed. Let me quote myself –

“To hold that prophecy does not verify the Bible as the Word of God, examples should be cited of predictions that have not come true -- but there are none. However an example can be cited of a very famous and powerful person, who tried to make prophecy fail, but whose efforts were discredited. In 362 A.D., the nephew of Constantine, Julian the Apostate, wanted to reestablish paganism and destroy Christianity. Knowing that the fulfillment of prophecy was the key argument favoring Christianity, he decided to disprove Luke 21:24, that Jerusalem will be downtrodden until the time of the Gentiles is fulfilled. Julian sent word throughout the Empire that government help would be given to the Jews to rebuild the temple. Jews came from all lands and began excavation for rebuilding the temple, which led to a series of explosions, which ended the project, not to be resumed as Julian died a few months later. Edward Gibbon noted that the explosions merely occurred due to natural gas being trapped underground, but that does not change the fact that the Roman Empire could not reverse the Word of God. (Note[bless and do not curse]The Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia,[bless and do not curse]Vol. M-P, "Prophets and Prophecy," by A. A. MacRae, p.888).”

PS -- I have no idea why the software added "bless and do not curse" twice to my quote. However, it is a direct quote from the article and there is nothing improper or offensive in what is set out in the citation. It can be viewed by the link I referenced. So I deny that I cursed anything.

Upvote 0