Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don’t Be Idolaters
Psalm 16:4 ESV

“The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply;
their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out
or take their names on my lips.”

The New Testament speaks often on the subject of idolatry, and of its consequences. In 1 Co 5:11 the church is counseled not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother (or sister) if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed or is an idolater, etc.

We read in 1 Co 6:9-10 that the sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers and those who practice homosexuality, etc., will not inherit the kingdom of God.

And, in 1 Co 10 we are told about God’s idolatrous people Israel when they wandered in the wilderness and God was not pleased with them, so he overthrew them. He said these things took place as examples to us so that we might not desire evil as they did.

So, then we are commanded that we are not to be idolaters as some of them were, and we are not to indulge in sexual immorality as some of them did, and we must not put Christ to the test nor grumble as they did, all for which God judged them by putting them to death.

These things happened to them as an example to us, and they were written down for our instruction, so we don’t do what they did.

So, we are to flee idolatry, for we cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons, too. We cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons, too. “Shall we provoke the Lord to jealousy?”

Then, in 2 Co 6:14-18 we are commanded not to be unequally yoked (bonded, partnered) with unbelievers, for there is no fellowship between light and darkness, and there is no agreement between the temple of God and idols, and we are the temple of God.

Therefore, we are to come out from among the fellowship with unbelievers and we are to touch no unclean (unholy, wicked, vile) thing. THEN the Lord will welcome us, and he will be a Father to us, and we shall be his sons and daughters.

Then, in Gal 5:16-21 we read that the works of the flesh are evident, which include sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, and idolatry, etc. And, there we are warned that those who practice (who are doing) such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

The same message is repeated for us in Eph 5:3-6, where it says that we may be sure of this, “that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.” (See also Col 3:5-10)

In 1 Peter 4:1-5 we are instructed that we are to live no longer for human passions but for the will of God. “For the time that is past suffices for doing what the Gentiles want to do, living in sensuality, passions, drunkenness, orgies, drinking parties, and lawless idolatry.”

We are to keep ourselves from idols – 1 John 5:21.

And, lastly we read in Revelation 21 & 22 that the cowardly, faithless, murderers, the sexually immoral, idolaters and all liars have their portion in the lake of fire. They will not enter into the new (heavenly) Jerusalem. For, nothing unclean will ever enter it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

Make Jesus Your Choice
Psalm 16:5-11 ESV

“The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.”

“I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
I have set the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

“Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
my flesh also dwells secure.
For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
or let your holy one see corruption.

“You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”

This is how we are supposed to live. Do you know that when we are instructed in the New Testament to love God and other people that the word translated “love” is “agape”? And, it means “to prefer (to choose) what God prefers.” It means that we choose his choices, to live to Christ and to his righteousness, in holiness, purity and faithfulness to our Lord.

And, do you know that Scripture teaches that to love God is to obey God? And, if we are not obeying him (in practice), that we are not loving him? And, that we don’t know him? And, if we are obeying sin, instead, that we are slaves to sin, and it ends in death? (1 Jn 2:3-6; Jn 14:23-24; Rom 6:16)

And, do you know that Scripture teaches that we must walk (in practice, in conduct) according to the Spirit and not according to the flesh if we want to have eternal life with God? (Rom 6:1-23; Rom 6:1-17; 1 Jn 1:5-9).

Jesus didn’t die on that cross just to forgive us our sins or just to promise us heaven as our eternal destiny. He died on that cross to put our sin to death with him so that we might die with him to sin and live with him and to him and to his righteousness (1 Pet 2:24; 2 Co 5:15, 21; 1 Co 6:19-20).

So, faith in Jesus Christ is not some status we have after we acknowledged Christ or said some words in a prayer or whatever we were told to do to “believe” in Jesus and to have eternal life in him. Faith in Jesus is dying with him to sin and it is living to him and to his righteousness (Rom 6:1-23).

So, if we are truly in him, by genuine faith in him, he should be our chosen portion, not our idols. And, we should rejoice in his counsel to us, and not fight against it because it doesn’t agree with what we want to believe. For, we can’t make up our own faith to suit our own lifestyles.

The Lord Jesus should not only have first place in our lives, but he should be our lives. We should live and breathe because of him and for him, and not for ourselves and for what we want out of this life, unless it agrees with what he wants for us, according to his word.

When the Lord is our portion, and not the cup of demons, and not our flesh, and not the idols of this world, then we dwell secure, and we can be confident that our souls will not see hell, nor will we see corruption (decay, death).

Instead, the Lord will make known to us the path of life he has for us to travel, and there we will find peace and joy and fulfillment in knowing we are who God wants us to be, where he wants us, and doing what he has called us to do. And, we’ll be saying whatever it is he gives us to say to the glory and praise of God, too, and for the salvation of human lives.

So, do you choose Jesus and all that entails? Or do you choose your idols, instead? If your idols, know that will end in death, not in life everlasting. So, if you are living in immorality, following after the gods (idols) of this world, instead of following Jesus with your life, I pray you will turn from your sin, and turn to follow the Lord today, for you don’t know if you have tomorrow.

Though Your Sins Be as Scarlet

Frances J Crosby, 1880
William H. Doane, 1876

“Though your sins be as scarlet,
They shall be as white as snow;
Though they be red like crimson,
They shall be as wool!”
“Though your sins be as scarlet,
They shall be as white as snow.”

Hear the voice that entreats you,
Oh, return ye unto God!
He is of great compassion,