Visit site
✟7,997.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Here's something I've been really curious about for a while as far as religion goes.

The bible says we're (Humans) are made in God's image, right? But he also warns us not to be vain... vanity is a sin, right? Wasn't it somewhat vain (of god) to create something (us) "special" in HIS image? Why not create us not in his image... like everything else? And why is such a similar image also used for so many other animals if it's so special (chimps, gorillas and orangs)? Also, if this images is in fact special like the bible says... then why do we all look different? Why doesn't everyone look just like god? If white, asian, indian, native american and black people are all made in his image then why do we each get a different one? And which one does god have? Exactly which image is god's to begin with? And then being made in god's image and knowing that we're special why make it a sin to be vain? We're created special but isn't acknowledging that, even slightly, rather vain therein and of itself? EDIT: And why are there so many *cough*failed*cough* versions of that image (as in extinct hominids)?

Ok, so there it is.

Last edited:

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The bible says we're (Humans) are made in God's image, right?
Right.
But he also warns us not to be vain... vanity is a sin, right?
Right.
Wasn't it somewhat vain (of god) to create something (us) "special" in HIS image?
No.
Why not create us not in his image... like everything else?
Creator's choice.
And why is such a similar image also used for so many other animals if it's so special (chimps, gorillas and orangs)?
Ontological reductionism.
Also, if this images is in fact special like the bible says... then why do we all look different?
Because He didn't create Adam in His mirror image ... just His image and likeness.
Why doesn't everyone look just like god?
I'll take a stab at this one:

Because alleles shift around and don't stay in the same place?

(Not sure about that one.)
If white, asian, indian, native american and black people are all made in his image then why do we each get a different one?
Mankind was subjected to a decaying universe by the time Noah's offspring came around.

And notice what Abishag (?) says here:

Song of Solomon 1:6a Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me:

She attributes her color to the sun, not her DNA.
And which one does god have?
None of the above.
Exactly which image is god's to begin with?
Don't know.

John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
And then being made in god's image and knowing that we're special why make it a sin to be vain?
Why are you injecting vanity into God's creation?

Solomon did that when he slipped into depression and wrote Ecclesiastes.
We're created special but isn't acknowledging that, even slightly, rather vain therein and of itself?
No.
Ok, so there it is.
I did my best to answer; now let's see how sincere your questions were.

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Here's something I've been really curious about for a while as far as religion goes.

The bible says we're (Humans) are made in God's image, right? But he also warns us not to be vain... vanity is a sin, right? Wasn't it somewhat vain (of god) to create something (us) "special" in HIS image? Why not create us not in his image... like everything else? And why is such a similar image also used for so many other animals if it's so special (chimps, gorillas and orangs)? Also, if this images is in fact special like the bible says... then why do we all look different? Why doesn't everyone look just like god? If white, asian, indian, native american and black people are all made in his image then why do we each get a different one? And which one does god have? Exactly which image is god's to begin with? And then being made in god's image and knowing that we're special why make it a sin to be vain? We're created special but isn't acknowledging that, even slightly, rather vain therein and of itself? EDIT: And why are there so many *cough*failed*cough* versions of that image (as in extinct hominids)?

Ok, so there it is.

Being made in His image simply means that we are triune beings. You are a spirit with a soul living in a body of fesh.

God is Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

No vanity in that reality - we simply are made spirit like him.

Upvote 0
E

EveryTime

The bible says we're (Humans) are made in God's image.
How else would you have us portray ourselves? we designed a God to protect us not the birds or the camels.

The God that made EVERYTHING and who is only concerned about US [egotistic? perhaps just a little] we of course made in our own image, someone who we could all identify with, be they jet black brown eyed and 7 foot tall or 5 foot white, blond and blue eyed with every size shape and colour in between [and to think that we reached such diversity in only 4,000 years is truly amazing].

Another thing, if we are made in Gods image why are we not invisible?

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker

Ok, so there it is.
I think your questions have it backwards. Personally, I´d start by asking "What did the bible-writers mean when saying we are created in God´s image?". Seeing how, OTOH, they keep pointing out how different man is from God, they obviously meant to refer to a particular communality. Unfortunately they didn´t mention what it was, so that everyone can use the statement as they see fit.

Upvote 0
E

EveryTime

Unfortunately they didn´t mention what it was, so that everyone can use the statement as they see fit.
Isn't that true about most of the Bible? if not why else would there be so many [about 30,000] varieties of Christianity?

People interpret the Bible to mean whatever they want it to mean and if they can't they revert back to the original Greek to see if that can be changed.

People may be desperate to believe the Bible but they will only believe it if it says what they want to hear,
that they will one day be rewarded for believing it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Isn't that true about most of the Bible?
Why sure - it´s true of most every metaphorical statement (even more so about statements of which we don´t even know whether to take them literally or metaphorically).
if not why else would there be so many [about 30,000] varieties of Christianity?
It´s certainly one of the reasons that contributes to this fact.

People interpret the Bible to mean whatever they want it to mean and if they can't they revert back to the original Greek to see if that can be changed.
You make that sound so disingenious.
My question: What´s the best way to approach such ambiguous works of art, instead?

People may be desperate to believe the Bible but they will only believe it if it says what they want to hear,
Yes, there are probably some such people.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Isn't that true about most of the Bible? if not why else would there be so many [about 30,000] varieties of Christianity?
Consol, I thought I answered that in another post?

I even stated it as a formula, so as to make it harder to e-refute.

In any case, here it is again, in case anyone missed it, in-depth this time ...

The Petrine formula for spiritual growth goes like this:

2 Peter 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2 Peter 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2 Peter 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

Symbolically it goes like this: faith → virtue → knowledge → etc.

Scientists, however, move knowledge to the forefront, so it goes like this: knowledge → faith → virtue → etc.

Or even: knowledge → virtue → faith → etc.

This results in the '[about 30,000] varieties of Christianity' you're referring to.

Upvote 0
E

EveryTime

Yes, there are probably some such people.
Do you know of any religious people who are not looking to be rewarded for their belief?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StormanNorman

Mar 5, 2013
✟15,795.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Consol, I thought I answered that in another post?

I even stated it as a formula, so as to make it harder to e-refute.

In any case, here it is again, in case anyone missed it, in-depth this time ...

The Petrine formula for spiritual growth goes like this:

2 Peter 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2 Peter 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2 Peter 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

Symbolically it goes like this: faith → virtue → knowledge → etc.

Scientists, however, move knowledge to the forefront, so it goes like this: knowledge → faith → virtue → etc.

Or even: knowledge → virtue → faith → etc.

This results in the '[about 30,000] varieties of Christianity' you're referring to.

I think for scientists it's just knowledge ... and that's it.

Upvote 0

Styx87

Everyone pays the Ferryman.
Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
✟7,997.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, interesting conversations so far.

But again, was Neanderthal also made in God's image and if so why where they any less important than us (referring to that they went extinct)? And if so then why doesn't the bible mention them? If not then why do they look like us?

Upvote 0