• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Jan 8, 2021
Transylvania
✟15,339.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A few years ago I became an atheist, and my scrupulosity manifestations basically vanished, although some other OCD symptoms did not.
I became much more relaxed when talking about religion, and I remember I was once debating the existence of God with a few friends. The argument was heated and I simply said something that was a lie (something about smart people not believing in God). Immediately after I said it I felt guilty, but said nothing to make things better. At that time I didn't think much of it. I have to mention, I would've not been able to directly lie about Bible in a million years, it still felt like something incredibly bad or unforgivable, so I was very careful with that.

I now have obsessive thoughts about it, I feel like lying about religion, God, and so on is pretty much unforgivable (and I think about Rev. 22:18-19). Any words of advise on how to trust in God's mercy?
PS. I am no longer an atheist.

TL;DR. A while ago I said a lie while debating religion with a few friends.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trust in God's mercy only grows as you receive it. You receive God's grace when you have faith in the love of God - namely His Son Jesus Christ.

Let this be a sign unto you. Each time you have faith in God's love, His mercy will descend on you, each time you distrust God's love, His mercy is robbed from you.

That is how i let Jesus rebuild my life from suicidally depressed to being able to cope with such levels of depression. When i started i had faith for mere seconds at the time but exercising faith in God's love harvested me a strong capable life. i now have grown 24/7 faith no matter how depressed i get.

All praise to Jesus

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
A few years ago I became an atheist, and my scrupulosity manifestations basically vanished, although some other OCD symptoms did not.
I became much more relaxed when talking about religion, and I remember I was once debating the existence of God with a few friends. The argument was heated and I simply said something that was a lie (something about smart people not believing in God). Immediately after I said it I felt guilty, but said nothing to make things better. At that time I didn't think much of it. I have to mention, I would've not been able to directly lie about Bible in a million years, it still felt like something incredibly bad or unforgivable, so I was very careful with that.

I now have obsessive thoughts about it, I feel like lying about religion, God, and so on is pretty much unforgivable (and I think about Rev. 22:18-19). Any words of advise on how to trust in God's mercy?

Focus on the basis of God's forgiveness. God loves sinners so much that He sent Jesus to die for them. Confessing that you told a lie is a good start. "God be merciful to me, a sinner" is a prayer that God will accept.

Moses wanted to know God's ways. This is what God has to say: (Exodus 34)

…5And the LORD descended in a cloud, stood with him there, and proclaimed His name, the LORD. 6Then the LORD passed in front of Moses and called out: “The LORD, the LORD God, is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in loving devotion and faithfulness, 7maintaining loving devotion to a thousand generations, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin. Yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished;.......

Reactions: Mia Asa
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it's very easy, when you have OCD, to focus on things you've done that you are afraid make you "unforgivable." Obviously I don't have all the answers, but from my experience with having OCD I'd like to point out a couple of things:
1. Often those of us with OCD tend to overestimate what an "unforgivable" sin is, and to think that what we've done is unforgivable even if it might not be.
2. OCD would like to have us fixate on an "unsolvable" problem (e.g., "How can I ever know whether what I've done is unforgivable or not?"). But practically speaking, usually our only choice is to focus on our actions, on what we can control/change. I can't go back and change the past. What I've done, I've done. So basically, my only choice is to go forward, asking God to forgive me and trusting in His mercy, and choosing to follow Him even if I feel uncertain about what I've done.
Are you receiving any help for treating your OCD, or have you in the past?

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Praise The Lord you’re not an atheist now. I wish ‘believers’ would get as convicted by their lies as you. We have all told lies, and those verses in revelation should be a stark warning to all of us (along with the other sins on that list). Remember though, that ‘we have an advocate with The Father, Jesus Christ The righteous’. He forgives us when we repent :)

Upvote 0