Lutherian church

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
I live in England and am a christian (anglican, church of england). I recently moved house - not far, about a mile or so. Close enough that we continue to go to the church we are settled in and used to live next door to. However there is a church locally to our new house and I was curious as to its denomination. Well yesterday we had a note about the christmas services they are holding and it stated it was a Lutherian church.
My question is simple really, what is a lutherian church and what are its main beliefs? do they fall in with the nicene creed or are they a minor "cult" type church?
I hope I don't offend anyone by asking, its just that I have never come across one before.
thanks for listening.

Phoebe

TwoBrickShyOfAFullLoad
Aug 22, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
✟19,524.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Lutheran?
Have you ever heard of a German man named Martin Luther?
The Lutheran church isn't greatly different from the Anglican/ Episcopal church. Feel free to check it out. No cults there.
We use the Apostle's and Nicene Creed. The Lutheran church (ELCA) has open communion. We believe that we are saved by grace through faith. We believe in consubstantiation, not transubstantiation. Our Sacraments are baptism and the Eucharist/ Holy Communion.
try www.elca.org

Upvote 0

Phoebe

TwoBrickShyOfAFullLoad
Aug 22, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
✟19,524.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Transubstantiation is what the Catholic Church teaches. The elements mysteriously become the body and blood, literally. (bread and wine)
Instead of priests, we have pastors.
Yeah, 'd say it's a little less formal than the Anglican church.
Here in the U.S., the ELCA Lutherans generally get along well with Episcopalians. (and Methodists)
I had an aunt that passed away over two years ago. She was born and raised in England. She was also Anglican.

Upvote 0

I can eat 50 eggs

what we have here is a failure to communicate
Oct 3, 2002
Hampstead, Maryland
Visit site
✟16,632.00
Faith
Christian
There are many different variances inside Lutheranism. the ELCA is a more liberal take, with the LCMS (go to www.LCMS.org) a more conservative branch. I'm not sure what they have over in England.
They are the closest you can get to being Catholic, and still call yourself a protestant.

Upvote 0
thanks Phoebe, I knew about the belief of catholics in the change of the bread and wine, I just didn't realise it had a name given to it. I guess I would be a believer in consunstantiation then, as to me they are just symbols. interestingly enough though, we have just had a discussion about this with the mother in law who thinks that communion is barbaric for exactly the transubstantiation beliefs.
The lutheran church sounds very welcoming and we might well check it out. but the children really enjoy the sunday school at the one we go to at the moment, so I'll have to pray about any possible change.
thanks for all your understanding and help.

Upvote 0

I can eat 50 eggs

what we have here is a failure to communicate
Oct 3, 2002
Hampstead, Maryland
Visit site
✟16,632.00
Faith
Christian
You might want to do a little more research. Consubstantiation, the lutheran belief on the Lords supper is NOT that it is only symbolic. Catholics believe that the bread is completely transformed (thus TRANsubstatiation) while Lutherans believe that the both the bread and wine, AND the Body and Blood of Christ are physically present (CON=with)

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Forget all that stuff.

Lutherans are Christians, and it's not a cult. They teach out of the Bible, believe that Christ is the only way to God, and that we are saved by faith alone. In other words, they are cool, doctrinely speaking.

Here is a link to the Lutheran England website:
http://www.lutheran.co.uk/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phoebe

TwoBrickShyOfAFullLoad
Aug 22, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
✟19,524.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, Lamb's Love. :)
Martin Luther wrote that the Sacrament of the Altar is the true body and blood of the Lord Jesus Christ in and under the bread and wine.
St. Augustine said, "When the Word is joined to the external element, it becomes a sacrament."
It s the body and blood because the Word is with it.
Go where you are happy. Give it lots of prayerful consideration.

Upvote 0
I grew up in a Presbyterian Church but married a Lutheran.

The basis of the Lutheran Church is God's grace through faith.

Its not a cult and you won't hear much about Hell there.

The thought is that God loves you and you in turn should love God and therefore as a child of God and a member of his eternal family, Hell is not an issue.

The previous post about the ELCA being the liberal side is true. Also, the official "Church" considers itself more Catholic than Protestant. But most of the members consider themselves more Protestant than Catholic.

I attend an ELCA Church than is more liberal than I care for, but my wife is comfortable there and I and secure enough in my faith and relationship with God that and small issues I may have - can be kept in the background.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you really want to know what the Lutheran denomination teaches, you should get a copy of their catechism and read it. I would recommend doing that before you join any denomination so that you really know what you are supporting and what they teach.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.