Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello! I'm an evangelical Baptist exploring the Lutheran faith.

I have asked other people on CF what church I would fit in with best, and the LCMS was recommended to me and I was told I would make a very good Lutheran.

However, as much as I admire Lutheranism, I have a couple of questions.

-I'm a credobaptist, but I see both sides of the baptism debate. I neither affirm or deny baptismal regeneration. It just doesn't seem to make much of a difference to me as both a Lutheran and a Baptist would agree that if someone claims to be a Christian, but refuses to be baptized, then his faith probably isn't genuine. Idk if so I am misrepresenting the Lutheran position, here. Please pardon me if I did.

- I'm a premillennialist, but not of the dispensationalist variety, but Lutheranism seems to have a strong Amillennial bent. Is a premillennialist stance "un-Lutheran?" I recognize the eschatological significance of the modern nation of Israel, but I think dispensationalists go too far and end up with some un- biblical conclusions.

I looked into Anglicanism, but it seems too diverse to the point it sacrifices orthodoxy and there seems to be a serious lack of literal six day creationists, which I am probably more likely to find among the LCMS and WELS.

So, how Lutheran am I?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
- I'm a premillennialist, but not of the dispensationalist variety, but Lutheranism seems to have a strong Amillennial bent.

I was a 'perfect' LCMS Lutheran from birth on through sprinkling(I no longer acknowledge), confirmation, being there every sunday being at sunday school and church services, acolytes duties etc , grade school, high school, and more later.
But I never heard about "Amillennial (bent)" until decades later - and of course rejected that (never heard it was ever associated with Lutheran though) .

Lutheran has seemed to be about the most stable and sound biblically than all the other denominations.

And there is a BIG difference WHERE you go - depending not on the 'title', but on the people there.
Kind of like Y'SHUA in HIS travels - in some towns HE found people with belief,
and in other towns HE found so little belief HE HIMSELF (THE MESSIAH) could not do much.
That's what I found in different places too - in some Lutheran churches were(and are) people who believe, and in some they just didn't seem to care what they believed.
I gravitated towards (visited more often) the ones where people believed.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Read Luther's Small Catechism and the Augsburg Confession. If you agree with them you're already a Lutheran.

There are no credo baptist Lutherans, and we strongly reject that position.
This is the best answer. If you want to dig deeper than the Small Catechism, read the Large Catechism. It's more in-depth, and also more entertaining (if you enjoy reading Martin Luther with all his attitude and polemics like I do. :))

Upvote 0