Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The best interpretation of "...lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart," is that "in his heart" means PASSIONATELY, whole-heartedly. That there has already been adultery (like Jesus says), and that done in a very passionate, heart-full manner.
What is being pointed to is not just some passing fancy, and certainly NOT THE MERE THOUGHT that some woman looks "interesting."

Mt. 5:28 "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

In contrast to "Thou shalt not commit adultery" Jesus the Christ is saying, if you look upon a woman to lust after her, that is indication you have already sinned.
The "lust" here is the same word that is used for "covet," the possessing of the object desired. ACTUAL ADULTERY. Not merely finding someone looks desirable.

The attraction of a man for a woman (and vice versa) is God-ordained and God created.
Find the other sex pleasing to the eyes and all that, yet NEVER HAVE THE LUST OF ACTUAL ADULTEROUS SEXUAL INTERCOURSE.

The lust that means one has already committed adultery, that is what is to be avoided, the "lust" that is part and parcel of actual adultery, its heart part.
DO NOT ever want to possess someone whom one is not married to with so much "heart" that the lust is indistinguishable from sexual intercourse. Don't let it happen, or the "lust" is adultery (or fornication).

I agree that there's nothing sinful with recognizing that a person is beautiful or even admiring their beauty. The sin Jesus is talking about here consists in the act of looking at a woman in order to fantasize about her sexually. This would include imagining having sex with her. This would include the use of inappropriate contentography in order to become sexually aroused. This would include masturbating while thinking about a woman (to whom you're not married) in a sexual way.

Simply looking at a woman and thinking: "Wow! What a beauty!" Is not a sin and can be a very appropriate response.

I hope we are in agreement on these things.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The best interpretation of "...lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart," is that "in his heart" means PASSIONATELY, whole-heartedly. That there has already been adultery (like Jesus says), and that done in a very passionate, heart-full manner.
What is being pointed to is not just some passing fancy, and certainly NOT THE MERE THOUGHT that some woman looks "interesting."

Mt. 5:28 "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

In contrast to "Thou shalt not commit adultery" Jesus the Christ is saying, if you look upon a woman to lust after her, that is indication you have already sinned.
The "lust" here is the same word that is used for "covet," the possessing of the object desired. ACTUAL ADULTERY. Not merely finding someone looks desirable.

The attraction of a man for a woman (and vice versa) is God-ordained and God created.
Find the other sex pleasing to the eyes and all that, yet NEVER HAVE THE LUST OF ACTUAL ADULTEROUS SEXUAL INTERCOURSE.

The lust that means one has already committed adultery, that is what is to be avoided, the "lust" that is part and parcel of actual adultery, its heart part.
DO NOT ever want to possess someone whom one is not married to with so much "heart" that the lust is indistinguishable from sexual intercourse. Don't let it happen, or the "lust" is adultery (or fornication).
Being physically attracted to a inappropriate content star is the result of lust. Having sex with a inappropriate content star while your wife is at home pregnant is adultery. Lustful thinking led to immoral action.

There are couples being faithful to each other and to God. They will not have to go through the shame of numerous divorces and remarriages.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Being physically attracted to a inappropriate content star is the result of lust. Having sex with a inappropriate content star while your wife is at home pregnant is adultery. Lustful thinking led to immoral action.

There are couples being faithful to each other and to God. They will not have to go through the shame of numerous divorces and remarriages.
Remember the tenth commandment is thou shall not covet, it doesn't say anything about adultery or theft, those we already prohibited. It seems the Law moved ever closer to the human heart, where sin starts in the privacy of your heart. Look at the progression in the beatitudes. First your poor in spirit, then mourning, then meek, then hungering and thirsting for righteousness, then you become pure in Spirit. This describes a process from repentance, to justification to sanctification.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Remember the tenth commandment is thou shall not covet, it doesn't say anything about adultery or theft, those we already prohibited. It seems the Law moved ever closer to the human heart, where sin starts in the privacy of your heart. Look at the progression in the beatitudes. First your poor in spirit, then mourning, then meek, then hungering and thirsting for righteousness, then you become pure in Spirit. This describes a process from repentance, to justification to sanctification.
SO putting something else before God, all forms of IDOLATRY are nothing of the heart?

"My heart is with God, but I worship just about everything else more than I do God." OH. (I.e., is the First Commandment first, or not?)

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

FAKE STORY. What good is it?

Yes, lustful thinking led to immoral action, that is precisely what Jesus said.

"LUST"
defined. (By verse 28.)

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
SO putting something else before God, all forms of IDOLATRY are nothing of the heart?

"My heart is with God, but I worship just about everything else more than I do God." OH.
Sounds like you got it:

Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. (Col. 3:5-6)
Notice he says, 'which is idolatry', when you look at the elements, they are consuming passions. Now look at the contrast:

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. (Col. 3:12-14)
My favorite part here is where it says, love binds them all together in perfect unity.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"“adultery” is far more a “breach of relationship” (the breaking of a covenantal union) than any specific action or ..."

"beauty is vain" "charm deceitful" deceit full and vain looking at beautiful physical things - like the disciples gawked in awe at the TEMPLE,
and JESUS put them in their place.

So everyone who "looks" at temporal things to make choices, instead of "invisible" things, walking in spirit as JESUS always teaches,
is vain, empty, and misled./ deceit full/ deceived/ fleshly/ carnal

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lust is the viewing of another human being simply as an object I can use for my own pleasure or satisfaction, whether the opportunity to actually do so ever arises or not.
I've always liked the old English word Concupiscence:

Concupiscence: (G1939 ἐπιθυμία epithymia)-Desire (Noun and Verb), Desirous:
"a desire, craving, longing, mostly of evil desires," frequently translated "lust," is used in the following, of good "desires:" of the Lord's "wish" concerning the last Passover, Luke 22:15; of Paul's "desire" to be with Christ, Phl. 1:23; of his "desire" to see the saints at Thessalonica again, 1Th. 2:17.​

It comes down to replacing on old passion with a new one.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
..........REALLY?
That's not the entire quote:

With regard to evil "desires," in Col 3:5 the RV has "desire," for the AV, "concupiscence;" in 1Th 4:5, RV, "lust," for AV, "concupiscence;" there the preceding word pathos is translated "passion," RV, for AV, "lust" (see AFFECTION); also in Col 3:5 pathos and epithumia are associated, RV, "passion," for AV, "inordinate affection." (Vine's Dictionary)​

There is more then one kind of a consuming desire.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Sounds like you got it:

Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. (Col. 3:5-6)
Notice he says, 'which is idolatry', when you look at the elements, they are consuming passions. Now look at the contrast:

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. (Col. 3:12-14)
My favorite part here is where it says, love binds them all together in perfect unity.

Grace and peace,
Mark

PUT ON LOVE. EXACTLY.

Touching and holding and kissing love. FOR GOD'S SAKE.
("Put-on")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Lust is the viewing of another human being simply as an object I can use for my own pleasure or satisfaction, whether the opportunity to actually do so ever arises or not.
Yes, it seems as far as we can tell then, that such lust and adultery, desires for things not of God but of something else, happens every day in churches around the world that do not admit this, rather they promote this.
Something in the BIBLE is written about the faithless unworthy leaders who corrupt their followers because of such lust, into adultery (spiritual adultery) and idolatry and witchcraft) .....

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I like Jesus's definition better - THE LUST we have to be concerned about, that IS ADULTERY. "... hath committed adultery."

In other words, if you are committing adultery then you know you are succumbing, have succumbed, to lust, the LUST JESUS SPECIFICALLY WARNS ABOUT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
WHY should it be that Jesus's prohibition against ADULTERY would be any different than that of THE ORIGINAL COMMANDMENT?

(Should not be a different commandment, of course!)

Only phrased and viewed in a quite different way.
MEANING EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

You can't commit adultery until you have done so, that scripture is warning that your headlong falling into sin. I don't interpret it as sinning by lusting.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
You can't commit adultery until you have done so, that scripture is warning that your headlong falling into sin. I don't interpret it as sinning by lusting.

The lusting that is being warned about is not exactly sin, except it is part and parcel of the adultery, and thereby it participates in the sin, THE LUSTING OF ACTUAL ADULTERY.
(Probably cannot be uncoupled from that, if you'll permit the expression.)

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The lusting that is being warned about is not exactly sin, except it is part and parcel of the adultery, and thereby it participates in the sin, THE LUSTING OF ACTUAL ADULTERY.
(Probably cannot be uncoupled from that, if you'll permit the expression.)

Yeah I should pointed out the situation where two people decide to marry and so they court for some time. They are not committing adultery before the marriage if they don't have sex, yet they may lust for one another.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Yeah I should pointed out the situation where two people decide to marry and so they court for some time. They are not committing adultery before the marriage if they don't have sex, yet they may lust for one another.
Well it would seem that is NOT the "lust" Jesus the Christ is warning about.

SINCE IN THE CASE OF THAT LUST THERE IS ADULTERY.
(According to Matthew 5:28.)

What do you think?

Upvote 0