Lost Soul looking for true Christians.

TorturedSoul

Apr 5, 2015
✟7,708.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've certainly done my best to give the best advice possible. But let's look at the OP's "shopping list" (from this and other threads):

• Not containing people that continue to sin
  • "Being proactive and correcting one another"
  • Rebuking sin
  • Not criticising him for "I am now in a relationship with a divorced woman and have no intentions of getting married"
  • "Fellowship"
  • Being a "support system"
  • Not containing "false Christians"
  • Practising "the word of God as it is written"
  • Having "Apostolic succession"
  • Having the practice of "confession"
  • Putting a low priority on books
  • Supporting the practise of astrology
  • Not having "worship", because "worship is simply the love and kindness you show to all people"

It seems to me that there are several inconsistencies there. Among other things, the OP seems to be looking for a combination of Catholic and Baptist theology and practice that simply doesn't exist anywhere.

Something has got to give, but personally I've run out of things to say on the topic.

I do appreciate the attention but you are mistaken on a few counts: Not criticizing me, supporting astrology, and not having worship. It's funny how people can take confessions and use them for discouragement rather than encouragement in the right ways. This is why Christianity is divided more ways than can be counted.

Upvote 0

TorturedSoul

Apr 5, 2015
✟7,708.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
That seems like strange logic, and most likely wrong because it looks possible to love without having faith. Second part seems true, but you shouldn't look to mankind's love to bring you to faith (what if Noah had made that demand). What is stopping you from seeking it from Him?

I see it demonstrated in this thread, even though op views it differently. The ones commenting here are motivated by love to an extent (who's love is never limited by that "extent"?). The reason I say this, they have all said the same thing: his problem is that he has unreasonable expectations. Nobody would offer a genuine, true solution unless it was motivated by some characteristic of love. But the patience is tested when a reasonable response is not accepted. It feels like the activity of a troll. It has come to a head now, we will see his true colours. He knows that correction is an activity of the body, he has described it in this thread, yet repentance has not been mentioned, which is the other side of that coin.

I tend to think he takes a view that is judgemental, and although he is right in the judgements he makes, it is the reality that Jesus described, that when passing judgement, we are judged by the same measure. Now at this point of the thread, he has no more opportunity to argue about the splinter in their eye because he has seen the log in his own. He would like you all to think he hasn't. This is why I said it has come to a head and we will see his true colours.

But anyway it is rude to talk about people like this, in front of them! (I know). I just think that sometimes we are invested in trying to persuade others, but we don't really service them. Then a troll person enjoys making a fool of those who have believed a mischaracterisation. The troll person might not even be aware of this, often we believe our own deceit because that is really the purpose for it.

John 3:18 speaks as though everyone knows what the light is, just that some come into it while others avoid it. That is what op needs to decide at this time, as we all do from time to time.

I do appreciate your efforts, but you misunderstand me and make assumptions that are mistaken. Love in the english language can mean many different things and to experience Holy love you need to experience that Holy love from people with the Holy Spirit. I am not blameless like Noah and I have never had an angel speak to me, but if I had I would undoubtedly be filled with love for God and give Him all my Faith. I am simply confessing where I am at in my journey and have said from the beginning maybe I am not the chosen seed and will perish with 66.6% of the world, but I am still trying. This is not entertainment for me and is the only place that I can go 24/7 to speak what is in my heart. If there were such a Church I would be there, but they are by appointment only and I don't see any where everyone has sold all their possessions and given to the needy. My problem is I know a lot of verses by heart and most people don't and think they are right in their own ways. Here I am confessing that I am not right in my own ways and my words are being used against me.

Ecclesiastes 1:18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do appreciate the attention but you are mistaken on a few counts: Not criticizing me, supporting astrology, and not having worship. It's funny how people can take confessions and use them for discouragement rather than encouragement in the right ways. This is why Christianity is divided more ways than can be counted.

In that case, I've misunderstood some of the statements you've made on this and other threads. If so, I'm sorry.

It's still the case however that, if you went to a conservative Bible-based church, and made the (rather strong) comments about astrology that you've made here on CF, you could expect some kind of rebuke. They'd be unhappy with aspects of your lifestyle too.

Liberal churches, on the other hand, would happily accept you as you are, but they don't go in much for "being proactive and correcting one another" or "rebuking sin."

Hence the dilemma I mentioned earlier.

And it's also still the case that you seem to be looking for some kind of combination of Catholic and Baptist theology and practice that simply doesn't exist. If it did, I'd point you at it, but afaik it doesn't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TorturedSoul

Apr 5, 2015
✟7,708.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
In that case, I've misunderstood some of the statements you've made on this and other threads. If so, I'm sorry.

It's still the case however that, if you went to a conservative Bible-based church, and made the (rather strong) comments about astrology that you've made here on CF, you could expect some kind of rebuke. They'd be unhappy with aspects of your lifestyle too.

Liberal churches, on the other hand, would happily accept you as you are, but they don't go in much for "being proactive and correcting one another" or "rebuking sin."

Hence the dilemma I mentioned earlier.

And it's also still the case that you seem to be looking for some kind of combination of Catholic and Baptist theology and practice that simply doesn't exist. If it did, I'd point you at it, but afaik it doesn't.

I do appreciate the counsel. It is very disappointing not being able to find people filled with the Holy Spirit that is supposed to be received after Baptism, after confessing Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I have confessed and been baptized and still believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God but know that I have never experienced the Holy Spirit myself or in a known Christian.

Upvote 0

zelosravioli

Believer
Site Supporter
Mar 15, 2014
Northern California
✟148,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am not affirming any sort of wrong behavior. I believe and appreciate TS is trying and seeking as well as he can to follow Christ and be a disciple, although I do not know him personally, and I do respect those who have been on this forum and are more familiar with others here. I do see bad advice and weird wacky questionable statements coming from 'christians' (and others) all over this forum (and I accept some may see me that way also). A lot of posters here and at church do not reveal their heart, living conditions, and financial status here, as TS has done. If we all did I am sure the condemnations and judgments could eliminate everyone on any forum.

I would like everyone here to post how many women they think of in a day, how they get their money, what they do with it, and what they do with their time. On second thought, rather tell it to your whole church. Or maybe just find a real christian to confide in.

I want to hold people to high morals and biblical behavior, that's what friends do. But I would rather first; they know God and we become friends. And then let each other know we are there for each other as God works these things out.

I am not condoning really bad behavior, but if you don't know what I am talking about, then I guess you don't understand why I'm uncircumcised.

As a long time student of Theology, Apologetics and comparative religions and a bible teacher, I am viciously dogmatic and insistently convinced we must believe all Gods Word, so please don't perceive that looooving someone means I need to throw that all out the window, rather Gods Word shows me to first love unconditionally. TS is not asking to lead a small group, be a pastor, teacher or service director, he is just asking for sincere Christians. I hope your not practicing astrology, or asking for a church that has apostolic succession, as you have been accused of, those are theological points, and believe me you would not be the only one on this forum that needs to discuss theological points.

I did find a thread on the Magi, and although I have no faith in astrology, I have heard on even Christian radio broadcasts this 'concept' that ancient astrology was originally a Gospel message or sign in the stars, so I understand maybe why TS may have suggested there is something to it, the magi were astrologers after all (?). Natal astrology, like acupuncture, and out of body experiences, there is 'some' evidence for them all, but we don't put faith in them. But that's another thread...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TorturedSoul

Apr 5, 2015
✟7,708.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am not affirming any sort of wrong behavior. I believe and appreciate TS is trying and seeking as well as he can to follow Christ and be a disciple, although I do not know him personally, and I do respect those who have been on this forum and are more familiar with others here. I do see bad advice and weird wacky questionable statements coming from 'christians' (and others) all over this forum (and I accept some may see me that way also). A lot of posters here and at church do not reveal their heart, living conditions, and financial status here, as TS has done. If we all did I am sure the condemnations and judgments could eliminate everyone on any forum.

I would like everyone here to post how many women they think of in a day, how they get their money, what they do with it, and what they do with their time. On second thought, rather tell it to your whole church. Or maybe just find a real christian to confide in.

I want to hold people to high morals and biblical behavior, that's what friends do. But I would rather first; they know God and we become friends. And then let each other know we are there for each other as God works these things out.

I am not condoning really bad behavior, but if you don't know what I am talking about, then I guess you don't understand why I'm uncircumcised.

As a long time student of Theology, Apologetics and comparative religions and a bible teacher, I am viciously dogmatic and insistently convinced we must believe all Gods Word, so please don't perceive that looooving someone means I need to throw that all out the window, rather Gods Word shows me to first love unconditionally. TS is not asking to lead a small group, be a pastor, teacher or service director, he is just asking for sincere Christians. I hope your not practicing astrology, or asking for a church that has apostolic succession, as you have been accused of, those are theological points, and believe me you would not be the only one on this forum that needs to discuss theological points.

Well said and there have been encouraging posters such as yourself that give me hope. I am actually meeting with a Presbyterian Pastor that is also a Doctor today at my home with my 3 children. I am hopeful but found that the PCUS Presbyterians do gay marriage and PCA do not, this Pastor is PCUS. He's the first one that has picked up the phone and offered to come to my home as Jesus would so I am going to give it a chance.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wrong, you are not coming from a Holy Spirit, get behind me Satan.

Oh well sorry I was wrong then, but it did sound like that.
I wanted to remove the post, but you quoted it already.
The Holy Spirit just threatened me with hell when I was living together in sin. I first fell from my faith because of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do appreciate your efforts, but you misunderstand me and make assumptions that are mistaken. Love in the english language can mean many different things and to experience Holy love you need to experience that Holy love from people with the Holy Spirit. I am not blameless like Noah and I have never had an angel speak to me, but if I had I would undoubtedly be filled with love for God and give Him all my Faith. I am simply confessing where I am at in my journey and have said from the beginning maybe I am not the chosen seed and will perish with 66.6% of the world, but I am still trying. This is not entertainment for me and is the only place that I can go 24/7 to speak what is in my heart. If there were such a Church I would be there, but they are by appointment only and I don't see any where everyone has sold all their possessions and given to the needy. My problem is I know a lot of verses by heart and most people don't and think they are right in their own ways. Here I am confessing that I am not right in my own ways and my words are being used against me.

Ecclesiastes 1:18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.
I asked you a question earlier, which you have dodged. Why did you do that? (Re value of beliefs and why beliefs matter). I think you are reading Matthew 19:21 incorrectly. But you need to repent, that is the whole problem for you and it is plain as day that you are resisting it. You will be less confused and more confident if you do, and if shame is a problem, make a new account and be yourself.

Upvote 0

TorturedSoul

Apr 5, 2015
✟7,708.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I did meet with PCUS Pastor on Sunday at my home and we both enjoyed our talk, he actually said it was fun. He also said not all PCUS Pastors will do a gay marriage even though it is the Churchs' policy, including himself. I took my children to their first sermon tonight and it was ironic how much of what was said was everything I had talked about here. A thought that entered my mind during the service was that all Churches are going to make mistakes, all that matters is believing Jesus Christ is the Son of God and our redeemer, the redeemer Job spoke of. Thank you for your prayers and God Bless you all.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did meet with PCUS Pastor on Sunday at my home and we both enjoyed our talk, he actually said it was fun.

Glad to hear it. If you were happy with that service, I'd encourage you to keep going there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did meet with PCUS Pastor on Sunday at my home and we both enjoyed our talk, he actually said it was fun. He also said not all PCUS Pastors will do a gay marriage even though it is the Churchs' policy, including himself. I took my children to their first sermon tonight and it was ironic how much of what was said was everything I had talked about here. A thought that entered my mind during the service was that all Churches are going to make mistakes, all that matters is believing Jesus Christ is the Son of God and our redeemer, the redeemer Job spoke of. Thank you for your prayers and God Bless you all.

It's nice that He spoke to you in that service. I have always enjoyed going around the churches listening to what the spirit is saying to me. I have noticed the churches too, especially the nature of the speaker and the culture it reflects. In doing this I have found people of good faith and sincerity, and while there is some doctrinal differences among those I am remembering, there is a common heart. I have noticed someone teaching in church, said something that he immediately realised was wrong, appeared distracted by noticing it but decided to not correct it. It was quite neglible anyway. But besides that he spoke truthfully and I reckon he did wish to correct his mistake but chose to not do so, maybe because it would be embarressing or maybe it would result in less confidence from his audience. Well anyway I don't hold this against him, because I saw that he did desire to put it right. There has been another preacher though who has said that the gospels were written by eye witnesses. He said it with certainty in response to a question and did not wish to acknowledge that it appears to not be true and is disputed. In this case I saw that his determination to promote faith was more important than his interest in the truth. Actually I lost confidence in that teacher because of that. I don't rank that church highly IMO for visiting, even though they were very friendly people. There are other churches and experiences too. But get round them and give God a chance to speak to you. You don't need to accept everything the preacher says, but if you are worshipping God, then He will have something for you, doesn't matter what the church says. Sometimes He will tell you that they are wrong etc. It is great that you are opening the door, don't stop!

Upvote 0

TorturedSoul

Apr 5, 2015
✟7,708.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Who is this to decide who is a Christian or not, obviously he is not!

"Because you are a Non-Christian your post has not been approved.

If you have any questions please feel free to send me a private message.

Sincerely,
God's child"

Real nice people you have working here.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who is this to decide who is a Christian or not, obviously he is not!

You registered on CF using the "Non-Christian Seeker" icon (
Seeker.gif
), not the "Christian Seeker" icon (
Christian-Seeker.gif
). That restricts where you're allowed to post, per the site-wide rules and subforum-specific rules.

If you had registered as a "Christian Seeker," posting here would not have been allowed, since this part of CF is for Non-Christians to ask about Christianity.

You can't blame anyone for responding to the way that you identify yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟620,620.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I had suggested Screwtape letters to the OP, and genuinely sympathised with him and was honest about my own struggles. But he never replied to my post. Perhaps I also am lacking in love, as I often think?

But you got to want help, not to merely criticise churches for failing you. I have done the same, and I very much am seeking to accept what is offered and be thankful. And I've find found I can give and seemingly not get a return quite often, but thats the way it is. Jesus ministered to ten sick, and only one came back and said thanks.

I'd say Prayer by CS Lewis is also worth a read.

And this song by Margaret Becker: Never for nothing.

Forums like these are not going to alleviate what is missing in ones life through being outside a church fellowship, except for a short time. I went back to church the last couple of weeks, and its a small service with mostly the elderly, little music or instrumentation, but in my view church isn't possible to be replaced by the internet forums.

Although some churches don't have one - I think a church that incorporates a small amount of liturgy into its worship is beneficial.

I pray regardless of whether the OP reads this: He will find his hope and spirit renewed to continue his search and to find the church family God has for him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And I've find found I can give and seemingly not get a return quite often, but thats the way it is.

I was thinking too that all my efforts here are wasted, but just the other day someone told me that it was helpful to him. I have thought more about this since I was shown that hope. I reckon the internet forums provide something a church doesn't: accessibility. Whereas a lot of people never would walk into a church to raise their issues, this forum makes it very accessible to do so. Also while there might not be many conversions happening on this website, the words that are said must have some lasting impact. Just as St Paul said it is God who gives the increase and Jesus said The Father prunes the vine, all we can do is sow and water but we cannot actually cause the growth.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟620,620.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was thinking too that all my efforts here are wasted, but just the other day someone told me that it was helpful to him. I have thought more about this since I was shown that hope. I reckon the internet forums provide something a church doesn't: accessibility. Whereas a lot of people never would walk into a church to raise their issues, this forum makes it very accessible to do so. Also while there might not be many conversions happening on this website, the words that are said must have some lasting impact. Just as St Paul said it is God who gives the increase and Jesus said The Father prunes the vine, all we can do is sow and water but we cannot actually cause the growth.
Yes very much agree, I have had one person say she was helped (I mainly had quoted from a book some words I hoped might be helpful) I often don't know what to say, I am a bit fragmented myself, and sometimes when I ask something I come back in a day or two and things seem different with me and I wonder whether I should have asked.

At some churches it will be a few hymns, a sermon and a hand shake at the door on the way out sometimes. For that I am sometimes grateful - I prefer that sometimes, but other times long for something more - but really its a service for public worship and thanksgiving. Also for me its about training in self-forgetfulness, to overcome a difficulty with introspection when in others company. Though I need to be more mindful of this its important to have faith in the movements of Jesus Kingdom, and become more sensitive to them.

I think its a question of why one goes to church - is it to join with others in worship firstly? If the forums move people towards finding a church family thats great.

But being a part of a fellowship is not always going to be easy - I prefer churches that don't expect people to be always smiling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I don't suppose it ever occurred to you that God's church might not be any one particular denomination, but rather scattered through all of them? The church is the people, not the label. Every denomination has some Christians as members.

It does seem a tad ironic, looking for the "perfect church" so that you can join a group that is doing things according to God's command...yet your private life seems to be in a bit of a mess.
Perhaps God is trying to tell you something that you do not wish to hear?

Upvote 0