Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,845.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Pomponius Melae's map wasn't lost, and it wasn't a map. He produce a text that describes peoples, areas and points of interest. Here's what he wrote about "Atlantis":
20 On those shores washed by the Libyan Sea, however, are found the Libyan Aegyptians, the White Aethiopians, and, a populous and numerous nation, the Gaetuli. Then a region, uninhabitable in its entire length, covers a broad and vacant expanse. At that point we hear of the Garamantes as the first people to the east; after them, the Augilae and Trogodytae; and farthest to the west, the Atlantes. In the interior — if one wants to believe it — at this point the scarcely human and rather brutish Goat-Pans, Blemmyi, Gamphasantes, and Satyrs possess, rather than inhabit, the land. They roam freely everywhere, with no houses and no fixed abodes.​
....​

37 Of the people here who are recorded as being beyond the desert, the Atlantes curse the sun, both while it rises and while it sets, on the grounds that it is disastrous to them personally and to their fields. Individuals do not have names; they do not feed on animals; nor is it granted to them to visit and see in their sleep things like those granted to all other mortals.​

I question Melae's accuracy and note the Roman habit of reproducing, without question, "facts" established by earlier writers. I'd note that in the same work, he talks about various other mythical/magical peoples (the Troglodytae, Blemmyi, Satyrs, Hercules) and fictional/magical places. Along with goat people, people who live in caves and are raised by snakes, people without neck/heads who have faces in their chests, miraculous funeral mounds that deflect rocks, fire breathing creatures (Chimera), water nymphs, giants, muses, cyclops and other fantastical elements.

Upvote 0

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟130,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
I question Melae's accuracy and note the Roman habit of reproducing, without question, "facts" established by earlier writers.

The source is likely some earlier map

It was known though

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You say the evidence is not the evidence
No, I say the words you present are not evidence supporting the claims you make. We've been over this before - you presented 3 videos, they were refuted by multiple posters and you just stated "you do not accept" and "you have to have faith".

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Did you watch the videos?

I suspect not …
We went over that, too.

The evidence I watched them, as I pointed out last time you posted this nonsense, was that I addressed specific claims in the videos.

Your next post will be denial.

Upvote 0