Daughter of My Lord
Jan 15, 2017
Heaven
✟28,753.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I happened to browse the YouTube and found this interesting video clip on an interview of a lady who was struggling with her weight and how she overcame it by studying the Bible and what the Bible said about fasting.

Throughout the interview, she talked about how she related her research with other women who did not have any food craving/food bondage and weight issue and relying on the Bible for answers.

Though she talked about intermittent fasting, however she shared about her reading the Bible to look for God's answer. She finally did lose weight which she then published a book on her journey towards weight lose.

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, intermittent fasting puts you into "ketosis". There's a thread or two on that. I combined intermittent fasting with keto and lost 20 pounds in about 6 weeks. I didn't have anything more to lose and so I had a six pack and my clothes were getting big. I since have cheated and am back up about 15 pounds, but will shed another 10 before summer.

The keto is a switch from burning glucose (sugar) to burning fat. When we make this switch we don't get light headed and weak when fasting. Fasting then actually becomes more enjoyable as your mind is clearer and energy levels don't drop. Actually, I learned the technique from a UFC fighter.

Doubly, one can do this and pray. You're on to something here. God Bless!

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Reading your Bible is good to improve your life but I don't remember any forms of Biblical fasting that were intended for weight loss.

If someone is bound to any form of craving that interferes with a healthy lifestyle, then it is right to turn to God to replace that craving. However, it can not be said that fasting is a Biblical form of dieting.

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I lost quite a lot of weight using an unorthodox method which I thought up myself.

I just cut out lunch everyday for a while. Lunch is about 500 calories depending on what you eat,so a lot to strip out but you still get to have breakfast and a good dinner.

I tried many diets and this was the best for me. It takes discipline and commitment but a good pay off.

Upvote 0

ProGoddess

Daughter of My Lord
Jan 15, 2017
Heaven
✟28,753.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everyone has his/her own ways of keeping fit, or maintaining a certain desired weight. I don't have issue with weight. I eat a full meal once a day in the afternoon. The rest of the day is usually drinks like milk in the morning and lots of water throughout. Sometimes I will have some yoghurt when the temperature is high and I need something to cool down. I also exercise regularly, at least twice a week, to keep the mind and body relaxed and refreshed.

I agree with @Daniel C that discipline and commitment do play a part.

Be blessed. :)

Reactions: Daniel C
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You have to be careful with fasting for weight loss. The body needs nutrients and the brain itself, only burns glucose.

Some fasting can be fine if done properly, and as long as it is combined with the right level of physical activity.

You can lose a lot of weight fasting, but the key is, what kind of weight are you losing? The body is mostly fluid by weight and when you lose more than a pound or 2 a week, you can be assured, you are losing mostly water and not fat. It is physiologically impossible, to lose fat quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: ms.smith
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A lot of times, these fad diets are all working the same way (though, people don't realize it), and people could accomplish similar things and see similar results by simply closely monitoring their intake and output.

Here's a comical (but factual) cheat-sheet:
upload_2019-5-20_18-5-4.png

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A lot of times, these fad diets are all working the same way (though, people don't realize it), and people could accomplish similar things and see similar results by simply closely monitoring their intake and output.

Here's a comical (but factual) cheat-sheet:
View attachment 256891

Correct!

There are no magical diets folks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you're overweight, you have insulin resistance, an imbalance of insulin to leptin.

While all diets create calorie deficits, we shouldn't ignore satiety. Many dime a dozen pseudo scientists say complex carbs keep satiety...it's actually false. High fat diet keeps you satiety outside of paper studies. Calorie management diets like fasting can also help.

Try eating a 5 egg omelette (350 calories, no insulin spike, stable blood sugar) vs a oatmeal breakfast (158 calories, massive insulin spike, high blood sugars...ask any diabetic patient)......see which one actually keeps you going till 1pm. See which one spikes and crashes your blood sugar. The oatmeal would make you hungry quicker.

See the research by gary taubes, malcolm kendrick etc.

While bread and carbs are good for you...it works in an agricultural society where a lot of physical labor was involved. It doesn't work in the society we have today where everyone is practically stationary.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProGoddess
Upvote 0

Coady

Apr 14, 2019
Ohio
✟21,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
For me, it seems like the best way is to fast as situations that call for a fast arise and for losing weight (which is critical since I work a lot outdoors) I just simply cut out sugar. I was very surprised to go from 203 lb down to my high school weight of 178 and stay there. Everybody and every body is different though I suppose. (Edit! Sometimes I reward myself with some outrageous sugar filled treat for finishing some project.)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: ProGoddess
Upvote 0

ProGoddess

Daughter of My Lord
Jan 15, 2017
Heaven
✟28,753.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In our society now, people are more willing to spend time for many other things but pay less attention to our physical self like maintaining a healthy body. Therefore, a job that requires physical labor is actually good in a way. You exercise while working. It's like working as a projectionist in a cinema and get to watch movies for free. :)

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you're overweight, you have insulin resistance, an imbalance of insulin to leptin.

While all diets create calorie deficits, we shouldn't ignore satiety. Many dime a dozen pseudo scientists say complex carbs keep satiety...it's actually false. High fat diet keeps you satiety outside of paper studies. Calorie management diets like fasting can also help.

Try eating a 5 egg omelette (350 calories, no insulin spike, stable blood sugar) vs a oatmeal breakfast (158 calories, massive insulin spike, high blood sugars...ask any diabetic patient)......see which one actually keeps you going till 1pm. See which one spikes and crashes your blood sugar. The oatmeal would make you hungry quicker.

While bread and carbs are good for you...it works in an agricultural society where a lot of physical labor was involved. It doesn't work in the society we have today where everyone is practically stationary.

Your last paragraph raises a good point. Low carb diets are best for more sedentary people, who have lower fuel needs for activity.

I am personally extremely active and i could never maintain my activity level, on a low carb diet.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Agreed, satiety is key.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums