Nov 27, 2015
✟8,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't even know how to start this. I haven't been on this site in 7 months but I feel like I just have to post this. This is probably gonna make no sense but I'm just gonna let all my thoughts and feeling on this

I'm so disapointed in myself.. I don't even know what I'm doing with my life

So today I was browsing the internet, and I read what someone said on a site (Not gonna tell what) I began to tear up a little because I fear I'm losing my faith and I fear that I'm gonna lose my faith and burn in hell! :(

I only do night prayers, and their always the exact same thing because I can't thing of anything else. Even if I try to say some other things to pray about, I still end up saying the same things... Also, since I sleep usually around 12:00 AM I just say 1-2 sentences and end my prayer... I ask God for forgiveness, but its the same phrase each time and I only do it at my night prayer. Also, I feel nothing to it. I just say it to God with no emotion or regret whatsoever (That probably doesn't make sense).I do tons of wrong things, and I'm aware they're wrong but I still do them anyways. I cuss, I do dirty jokes, and other things just because it fun. I competley forget God and just say whatever think I have in my mind.... Additionally, I never read the bible because I simply dont want to.......:disappointed: I feel like I can solve these problems, but its really hard. I still have faith, but I don't truly thank God enough for what he has done/what he does...I'm so disapointed in myself because I want to thank him but I feel like its not enough. I've forgotten God and I know he's also dissapointed!!! What I truly want to do is make God happy and show that I appreciate him and love him

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't even know how to start this. I haven't been on this site in 7 months but I feel like I just have to post this. This is probably gonna make no sense but I'm just gonna let all my thoughts and feeling on this

So today I was browsing the internet, and I read what someone said on a site (Not gonna tell what) I began to tear up a little because I fear I'm losing my faith and I fear that I'm gonna lose my faith and burn in hell! :(

I only do night prayers, and their always the exact same thing because I can't thing of anything else. Even if I try to say some other things to pray about, I still end up saying the same things... Also, since I sleep usually around 12:00 AM I just say 1-2 sentences and end my prayer... I ask God for forgiveness, but its the same phrase each time and I only do it at my night prayer. Also, I feel nothing to it. I just say it to God with no emotion or regret whatsoever (That probably doesn't make sense).I do tons of wrong things, and I'm aware they're wrong but I still do them anyways. I cuss, I do dirty jokes, and other things just because it fun. I competley forget God and just say whatever think I have in my mind.... Additionally, I never read the bible because I simply dont want to.......:disappointed: I feel like I can solve these problems, but its really hard. I still have faith, but I don't truly thank God enough for what he has done/what he does...I'm so disapointed in myself because I want to thank him but I feel like its not enough. I've forgotten God and I know he's also dissapointed!!! What I truly want to do is make God happy and show that I appreciate him and love him
Wow, He really is drawing you back! I am wondering in all of this though, you are describing things that demonstrate your salvation has slipped away (not reading bible, not praying, not being sure of your salvation, not being thankful, being rude and dirty minded).. these are things that show you are not living the holy way that keeps us united with Him. So as you say you still have some faith, are you able to describe that a bit more?

Upvote 0

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
'faith' is not measured or defined by doing something for God, but 'depending' on God to help or save you in your time of need. in our 'helplessness' we turn to faith in God to help us.

it is also grounded in the promises of God in scripture (and not on speculation) and believing on it with all your heart simply because God keeps his word and His character and power guarantees it.

it is therefore imperative that you will have to read the bible and know what the will of God is in your current stage and situation in life.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (Jn 14:27)

Jesus loves you.

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Is there a Christ-honoring, Bible-centered church you can go to and talk with the Pastor about these things? There should be one in your area (I'm sure I can find one if I knew where to look). You are writing here concerned about your faith slipping away. First, if God has called you, that can never happen. However, you have to know if you were called in the first place. Lots of times, believers don't feel very close to God and don't want to read the Bible or pray very much. That doesn't stop them from doing that however. Make yourself read one or two chapters of the Bible daily and pray daily, morning and night, perhaps by reciting the Lord's prayer. That is actually a very good prayer to pray every day. By utilizing these means of grace, you should be able to see God working more fully in your life.

We understand that good works are prepared for us by the Lord, but you don't just sit around expecting God to magically make you think more about Jesus and have him become more central to your life. That is done by participating in the means of grace: prayer, reading the Bible, attending church, taking part in the sacraments.

Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The best thing you might do is in helping others and getting away from your personal needs.

Just take the faith and Love you do have and out of just pure gratitude help other. It might just be washing the dishes or taking out the garbage. It might be helping a shut in do some shopping.

When you get involved with the needy you have a lot more reason to pray.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't even know how to start this...
Hello! As I read your post I thought "welcome to the war between the flesh and the spirit".

You're not alone in these struggles; we all share them. I suggest you read Paul, in Romans 7 and Romans 8. He'll describe in his own life the same thing you're going through now. He was soooo frustrated with himself.

You don't mention church. You need one, so ask Him to find one that you'll enjoy participating in and will be good for you.

In the meantime I suggest doing two things to get any sins forgiven. The first is to follow bling's advice and perform acts of love. The second is to let go of any grudges against others you may have, forgiving them from your heart. I'm convinced these two things will clear away impediments that are in your path.

Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Actually, you can't solve your problems. If that were possible, you'd have done so by now. Your whole post is about how you can't (and on some level don't really want to) solve your problem with God. There's only two reasons you feel and act as you do: 1.) Your sin has created a fracture in your fellowship with God. 2.) You aren't a genuine disciple of Christ. That you have some desire to be in a better circumstance with God suggests your problem may be the first one rather than the second. The spiritually dead, those who are not born-again, do not stress over walking rightly with God.

A big part of your problem is that you are disappointed in yourself. Your disappointment suggests you have an expectation of better attitudes, desires and actions from yourself than you have been manifesting. But this expectation is all wrong. Your Self is the source of all your sin. Here's what the Bible tells us about ourselves:

Jeremiah 17:9
9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?

Matthew 15:19
19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.

Romans 8:7-8
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Galatians 5:19-21
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,
20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,
21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 2:1-3
1 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins,
2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,
3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.

Romans 3:10-11
10 As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one;
11 There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God.

Romans 3:23
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Apart from God we are a foul, wretched bunch of wicked sinners. Do you believe it? Do you agree with God about your own wickedness? If you did, you wouldn't be expecting better of yourself and become disappointed when you fail to meet that expectation. Instead, you'd know that what the Bible says is true and that you need to be saved, not just from your sin, but from your Self.

Christ's shed blood on the cross cleanses you from the stain of your sin, but it is the cross that is the means by which God deals with your Self (the source of all your sin). Paul the apostle explains:

Romans 6:6-7
6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.
7 For he who has died has been freed from sin.

Galatians 2:20
20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Colossians 3:2-3
2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.
3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

Your Self, your "carnal man" or "old man" that person "dead in trespasses and sins" that we all are before we are saved is so awful, so prone to sin, that it cannot be remediated, or improved. The only solution for our incorrigibly wicked Self is death.

But God does not simply put to death our "old man" our carnal, fleshly Self and leave it at that. No, He brings us into new life in Christ:

2 Corinthians 5:17
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

Romans 8:10-11
10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

1 John 5:11-12
11 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

So, why am I telling you all this? What difference can any of this make to how you live? Well, that depends upon how you respond to what I've just told you. If you believe you are "dead to sin and alive unto God through Christ Jesus," then you have a choice to make: will you live in accord with who you are in Christ? Or will you keep on as you are, living like the person you were before you were saved? "The me I see is the me I'll be." It's that simple. If you want to start living like the person in Christ who is "dead to sin and alive unto God" that you are, then you must begin to count on your new life in Christ being real and let it define who you are.

Before all of this, though, is the matter of love and surrender. You can know all about who you are in Christ and believe it strongly, but if you aren't living in moment-by-moment surrender to God, your position in Christ will have little effect on the character of your life. You won't live in surrender to God, however, if you don't love and trust Him. So, the Christian life begins here:

Matthew 22:36-38
36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
37 Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.'
38 This is the first and great commandment.

What you have described of your experience makes it pretty clear that you don't love God. Or, at least, you don't love Him nearly as much as you love yourself. Until this changes, your relationship with God will continue to be the frustrating, guilty mess that it is at the moment. The only One, though, who can overcome your Self love is God. The love He wants from you He must first give to you. And He does that in the Person of His Spirit. The moment you are saved, the Holy Spirit comes to live within you and in him is all that you need to be the person God wants you to be. Many Christians aren't saved, though, from a motive of love. Many people trust in Christ as their Saviour because they are guilty and afraid. They are looking for "fire insurance," not a love-relationship with their Maker. How about you? Was it love that motivated you into a relationship with God? Or were you mainly just wanting to escape hell?

Whatever the case, your love for God is, at the moment, weak and crowded out by your love for yourself. God is the only One who can change that. So, ask Him to. Pray that He would, by His Spirit, break you of your Self-love and bring you into a full knowledge and experience of His love. And keep asking until He does.

Paul's prayer for the Ephesians seems very applicable to you:

Ephesians 3:14-19
14 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,
17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height--
19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

Selah.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I worry about some of the responses. Some suggest that maybe you’re not a Christian or you’re losing salvation. Obviously I can’t judge individuals, particularly after just one forum posting. But I wouldn’t conclude that.

Jesus taught two things that are relevant to this:
* God accepts us no matter who we are
* He will hold us accountable for what we do (and don’t do)

But the whole point of justification by faith is that these two things aren’t in competition with each other. You don’t need to worry about whether you’ve lost your connection with God. You need to be confident that Christ died for you, but you also need to get on the stick.

There are a lot of people that think the way to motivate people to be good servants of Christ is to make them afraid that if they don’t measure up, they aren’t really his followers. I think that’s a mistake. Panic is never a good motivator. I can all too easily lead to legalism. The things people do when they’re afraid they’ve got too many demerits are often not the things God would want. And when the things you do don’t turn you into a saint, it can also lead to burnout.

I think it’s much better to be confident in God’s love, to spend your time thanking him, not being afraid of him, and then look at what he’d want you to do with your life.

At any rate, this is the classic Protestant perspective on things. Both Lutherans and Reformed will tell you that when you’re in doubt about your salvation, you should look to what Christ did for you, not at yourself. The danger is that when you look at yourself, if you’re at all honest, you won’t like what you see. So you’ll get more and more worried, and more and more pulled into looking at your own guilt, and your religion will end up being focused on you, rather than on Christ.

Try starting out forgetting your fears, and just thanking God. Then you can start asking him for help in identifying things you should be doing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
To the OP: Be careful you aren't sidetracked from biblical advice by those who assert it is merely "Protestant" (and as such apparently unhelpful) advice.

Sin may not seem like a "nice" topic to discuss but it is a very common one in Scripture and that's because sin carries consequences.

Romans 6:23
23 For the wages of sin is death...

This verse is primarily speaking of death of the physical sort and of the eternal second death in hell, but sin also causes the "death" of fellowship (but not relationship) with God, and the death of joy, peace, and contentment, too.

Isaiah 59:1-2
1 Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, That it cannot save; Nor His ear heavy, That it cannot hear.
2 But your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear.

Sin cuts us off from fellowship with God. This isn't merely a Protestant idea but, as you can see, one clearly taught in the Bible. It is because this is so, that it is important to "keep short accounts with God." As unconfessed sin mounds up in your life, God will feel farther and farther away. And He will seem very silent, too. Of course, God hasn't actually departed for more righteous company; He's still with you. But a sense of closeness with your pure and holy Maker is impossible while you've got unconfessed sin in your life. So, follow the apostle John's advice:

1 John 1:9
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Now, don't go getting preoccupied with your sin. That'll just take your eyes off of Christ and nothing good ever comes of that. Once you've confessed your sin, take the apostle Paul's advice:

Philippians 3:12-14
12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,
14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Confessed sin is in the past. Leave it there. And go on into the deeper life in Christ that awaits you.

I will say one other thing: Those who truly love God do not wonder about their salvation. See my last post.

Selah.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I agree with hedrick's response above.

None of us are perfect. I don't think anything you are worried about is particularly troubling. If you try to beat yourself up with strict religious expectations for yourself (I.e. how much you read the Bible), I think you will end up feeling more like you do now: disappointed, defeated.

I think it helps to remember that faith is a journey, & salvation is a process - this will last for one's whole life. In other words, Christian growth is gradual, & I don't think it's reasonable to expect too much.

I think it also helps to remember that we are made right with God not based on anything we've done, but based on what Jesus has already done for us. So I would suggest, when you feel burdened, remember that you don't need to be so hard on yourself. You are loved by God & right with God because of Jesus.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
1 Peter 1:13-16
13 Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
14 as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance;
15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,
16 because it is written, "Be holy, for I am holy."

God does not wink at our sin. He has the strictest religious expectations of us. And He intends that as we try to fulfill them we discover we cannot do so on our own (Ro. 7:14-24). He wants us to see that without Him we really can do nothing. (Jn. 15:5) The realization of our weakness is supposed to press us to God, to make us more dependent upon Him, but if we are okay with failure and decide not to be too hard on ourselves and persistently take advantage of God's forgiveness and grace, we will live as perennial spiritual babes, forever stumbling and staggering around in sin and uncertainty about our faith. God intends that you should feel acutely disappointed and defeated so that you will cease relying on yourself and begin relying on Him. If you just shrug off your sin with a "nobody's perfect" sort of attitude, if you become complacent about your spiritual and moral failure, the deep fellowship with God that can be yours and the transformation of your life that He can effect will be forestalled.

Hebrews 6:1
1 Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,

Selah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God wants to save everyone that He can, 1 Timothy 2:3-4. That includes you too. Please don't give up. If you need purpose, then find it in God, 2 Timothy 1:9. It sounds to me like you might still a baby Christian, supping on milk, 1 Corinthians 3:1-3, but that doesn't mean that you can't grow in faith. Keep praying, and ask God to give you more faith, and to produce good fruit.

Upvote 0

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hope you don't mind If I suggest that you consider your present situation in light of the parable of the prodigal son. If you are a genuine born-again Christian then think of yourself as the son who left his family and think of the father as God. Read the parable and apply the lesson to yourself.

Don

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Bella, 'feelings' are transitory, ephemeral and sometimes caused by chemical imbalances in the human body. Therefore, allowing 'feelings' to control one's life and thoughts is NOT a particularly solid basis for thinking or living.

God has said He would take care of His own. Not if "His own" deserved it, or merited it, or contributed so much to the church fund or did fifty push-ups or what ever. God said He would take care of us.

May I suggest you concentrate on what you know as God's promises and not on what you 'feel'? I'm sure you're feeling wretched - or did when you posted this - and perhaps you feel much better now. Great. But a 'good feeling' could be the result of a good dinner or breakfast and can change with - uh - stuff.

Concentrate on God's promises and care. And don't mistake 'wants' with 'needs'. I've done that enough for both of us.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some really good responses here.

BellaTheBlueJay, you wrote, "What I truly want to do is make God happy and show that I appreciate him and love him".

Do you really believe that Jesus is the Son of God, walked the earth, died for our sins, and was raised from the dead, and is alive today (in heaven)?

If you can legitimately say, yes, then you are definitely saved. You say you do wrong things, but the actual dire part of those things is when you don't recognize them as wrong.

You might want to read this passage of Scripture:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Peter+1:3-11&version=NIV

A verse near the end is:
Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, (2 Peter 1:10, 1984 NIV)

You don't need to do any of the things you mentioned to be saved. It is good to do them so that we draw closer to God, and don't get pulled away from recognizing the difference between good (the things from God) from evil (the things contrary to God).

Again, you wrote:
"What I truly want to do is make God happy and show that I appreciate him and love him".

How would you enjoy doing that? That is what you should be doing right now. Don't worry about those other things. Just read a paragraph from the Bible when you can. If you can find a church you enjoy going to, then start going—because you enjoy going there. :) Otherwise don't worry about it for now. Instead of praying like you have been, just talk to Jesus throughout the day (he is always with you) whenever you have something you want to/can talk to him about.

Upvote 0

TheUndecided

Aug 12, 2016
England
✟15,137.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Jesus taught two things that are relevant to this:
* God accepts us no matter who we are
* He will hold us accountable for what we do (and don’t do)

I think this is well said and very important and your post makes lots of good points . If god exists we will get judged at the final curtain when the cabaret is over. I don't think it's the place of other people to judge another on religious matters.

Bella you said you do many wrong things like cussing or telling rude jokes which most of us do they aren't necessarily wrong things to do . I mean quite honestly there are lots of situations in which people cuss and it doesn't make them a bad person. As for rude jokes most of them are just funny , we all need more laughter in our lives.

Most people cuss around family and friends from time to time, but wouldn't ever dream of cussing around a complete stranger because they understand it could upset or cause offence to them. We all have a moral compass and by that i mean the ability to judge what is right and wrong and act accordingly in different situations .So if your not offending and upsetting people i would suggest it's probably not worth worrying.

If i heard a kid swearing id be less than impressed and any reasonable person would find that unacceptable behavior and rightly so . And perhaps in certain cultures it may be more harshly frowned upon to swear , but then in most if not all countries some cuss words are seen as being a'lot more offensive than others , also a'lot of people who do cuss wouldn't ever use certain cuss words because they are just socially unacceptable in pretty much every circumstance.

It all comes back to that moral compass and knowing what is appropriate behavior in any given situation. We all make mistakes and put our foot in our mouths from time to time, but then if we didn't the word apology would never of been invented. I mean most people myself included find something as natural as breaking wind to be an extremely funny thing, but ask the same people if they find it funny when they are sitting eating dinner ,my guess would be that most would then say no they find it extremely offensive and rude behavior.

As for prayer id like to ask people with more knowledge than myself on this , cant prayer be silent or how about unconscious prayer, people are constantly having unconscious thoughts all the time and most of our actions infact don't take a concerted conscious effort to achieve .

Is prayer any different in that respect ? i'm pretty sure anyone who has ever had a narrow escape or avoids a dangerous or scary situation has a brief sigh of relief and gives thanks whether its conscious or unconscious ,that is surely quite natural isn't it.

Isn't it also natural when you see someone on television in pain or distress or read something upsetting in the paper to pause and give a moment of thought for them and their loved ones. I'm sure that people in many situations do this without even always really being completely aware they are doing it. In a way couldn't that be considered prayer.

Upvote 0