Lord's Day

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
So why did he call it the Lord's Day... rather than the Sabbath. Do Jews have a different understanding of the Lord's day ..like it is something different than what a Christian spin is? Did John call it the Lord's Day because it was the vision of the great and terrible Day of the Lord?
Joel 2:31
The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the Lord come.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jewish people would say the Sabbath is the "Lord's Day" because we cease from all of our deeds and give the day to Hashem. The passage in Joel is not so much referring to a specific day of the week, but more like a statement. The day is the dawning/starting of the action being taken.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So why did he call it the Lord's Day... rather than the Sabbath. Do Jews have a different understanding of the Lord's day ..like it is something different than what a Christian spin is? Did John call it the Lord's Day because it was the vision of the great and terrible Day of the Lord?
Joel 2:31
The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the Lord come.

He was in vision on the Lords day (the Sabbath) ... no doubt he was referring to being in vision on the Sabbath. The Sabbath IS the Lords day .... Jesus Himself says so.

His vision encompassed past and future events .... not just "one day" (not just the greate and terrible day of the Lord.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
He was in vision on the Lords day (the Sabbath) ... no doubt he was referring to being in vision on the Sabbath. The Sabbath IS the Lords day .... Jesus Himself says so.

His vision encompassed past and future events .... not just "one day" (not just the greate and terrible day of the Lord.
Do Jews have a different understanding of "The Lord's Day"? I know what you are saying and that is probably a good understanding, but I am trying to get a grip on the Hebrew mindset on this matter.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do Jews have a different understanding of "The Lord's Day"? I know what you are saying and that is probably a good understanding, but I am trying to get a grip on the Hebrew mindset on this matter.

John was a Jew ... what do you think his mind set was?

The possessive form (“Lord’s”) is used to tell us that the day belongs to the Lord. So, which day of the week, according to the Bible, belongs to the Lord in a special way? Which day of the week did the Messiah declare Himself to be Lord of? Using the Bible alone as our only authoritative guide, which day of the week is most likely to have been called “the Lord’s day” by a First-Century Jew like John? To those familiar with the Scriptures, the answer should be obvious: the seventh day, (not the first day of the week as some would claim)

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The possessive form (“Lord’s”) is used to tell us that the day belongs to the Lord. So, which day of the week, according to the Bible, belongs to the Lord in a special way? Which day of the week did the Messiah declare Himself to be Lord of? Using the Bible alone as our only authoritative guide, which day of the week is most likely to have been called “the Lord’s day” by a First-Century Jew like John? To those familiar with the Scriptures, the answer should be obvious: the seventh day, (not the first day of the week as some would claim)
Bingo! :)

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic

I am not disagreeing. We have a poster here who is trying to make a distinction between "day of the Lord" and "Lord's day" Yeshua did say He was Lord of the Sabbath. I can see John seeing it as "the Lord's day" with Yeshua being His "Lord". And since it was Yeshua taking him on a visionary trip through the centuries, it could well have been the Sabbath, when this occurred. Since it was about time of the end which culminates on the Great and Terrible Day of the Lord, it could also be that which John was referring to. One thing is for sure, it wasn't on Sunday.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not disagreeing. We have a poster here who is trying to make a distinction between "day of the Lord" and "Lord's day" Yeshua did say He was Lord of the Sabbath. I can see John seeing it as "the Lord's day" with Yeshua being His "Lord". And since it was Yeshua taking him on a visionary trip through the centuries, it could well have been the Sabbath, when this occurred. Since it was about time of the end which culminates on the Great and Terrible Day of the Lord, it could also be that which John was referring to. One thing is for sure, it wasn't on Sunday.

well ... John starts off with I was in vision on the Lord's day .... the day he had the vision ... he then goes on to explain what he saw in vision on that day ... of which spanned events of the past and on into the future ... NOT just the events of the great and terrible day of the Lord.

the word "on" is important and rules out as being referred to the great and terrible day of the Lord.

John knew he was in vision and what day it was he had the vision and it was ON the Lords Day (an already established day of the Lord) ... the Sabbath. Simply stating what day he had the vision.

I can see John seeing it as "the Lord's day" with Yeshua being His "Lord".

One thing is for sure, it wasn't on Sunday

If one excludes the Lords Day in John's vision as not being the Sabbath ... then why not? He is indeed our Lord every day. Yet another feeble argument many make attempting to justify Sunday keeping ... and/or no special day keeping of any sort. Even tho God created the 7th day, blessed and sanctified it (set it apart from the other days), even tho it's the 4th commandment, even tho Jesus states He is Lord of it ... even tho Jesus and all the disciples kept the Sabbath.

When God sanctifies something is that important?

Leviticus 20:8

7Consecrate yourselves, therefore, and be holy, because I am the LORD your God. 8And you shall keep My statutes and practice them. I am the LORD who sanctifies you.

keeping the Lords Sabbath is a reminder to us .... He is the one who sanctifies.

Seems clear to me John was in vision on the Sabbath day of the Lord thy God and he wrote about what he saw in vision on the day he had the vision ... past events and future events.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0