Mark Noo

Jan 4, 2017
Oregon
✟11,104.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Is there an introductory book to learn logic (or critical thinking) specifically for Christians. I was listening to an apologist the other day and knew I came up short on logic. I followed the apologists argument and even his refutation of the opposing views argument; but knew I could not have done it on my own. He had to hold my hand through the process. If I would have been confronted by the atheist's view on my own I would have been unable to respond.

Therefore, my critical thinking is weak and needs to be improved.

To be clear, I am looking for an introductory/beginner sort of book. Maybe something like a college level 101 course text but for Christians. There are plenty of Intro to Logic texts but I thought I might as well look for one that might use Christian examples so I could work on my logic and my general Bible knowledge at the same time. Even if I already know the examples given in the book, it will still reinforce the Biblical knowledge and I still need the critical thinking skills.

Thank you for your help

(preferably written by an "election, predestination" guy, the apologist I was listening to was Armenian so his argument fell apart for me because I did not accept his premises, but I will take whatever I can get)

Reactions: JM

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Issac Watts wrote one, a classic actually, called: Logic, the Right Use of Reason in the Inquiry After Truth.

You can pick it up (and quite a number of other, similar books and/or teaching series) at Ligonier Ministries, which is the teaching fellowship of Dr. R C Sproul. Go here.

You might also check to see if there is anything you want on sale today, because today is $5 Friday at Ligonier. To see what is included in today's sale, go here.

If you are interested in the history of/general understanding of various philosophies and worldviews and you want to see how the compare with Christianity, you might also be interested in this book and/or teaching series from Dr. Sproul called: The Consequences of Ideas.

Mark, I'm sure you know that Dr. Sproul is a Calvinist, yes?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Noo

Jan 4, 2017
Oregon
✟11,104.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes I do. I have actually watched his systematic theology videos and heard several of his series.

I adore RC Sproul. Super smart, super cool, brilliant - but very accessible. I bet he is a fantastic Grandpa to have. (one of the series from his son talked about how many children he had)

Anyway, when I first started reading the Bible I could not put everything together. I was reading a lot and learning very little because I had no framework to think about it in. His introductory systematic videos gave me a foundation to start building on. (frankly, all I was learning was a bunch of cool sounding KJV scripture to quote but I could not make sense of it in a meaningful way)

His son's stuff is also pretty darn good. I especially liked the economic talks from Jr..

Thanks for the tip. Great idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bsd058

Sola and Tota Scripturist
Oct 9, 2012
Florida, USA
✟14,546.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Systematic Theology by Van Til goes into the epistemology of a Christian. I found it illuminating. That coupled with a regular secular critical thinking book sufficed for me as far as I can tell. Now I look at every aspect of life (math, business, economics, etc.) through a Christian worldview. Although I haven't read Watts' book. That would be interesting.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hey Mark, Ligonier's $5 Friday (TODAY, 3/3/17) has a couple of items you may be interested in.

THI04CC_200x1000.jpg

Think Like a Christian

ORL12DC_200x1000.jpg

The Christian Mind: 2012 National Conference

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country