Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just started to attend a new church recently, the denomination isn't that important since I shall remain non-denominational. It's been a few years since I was in fellowship with other Christians and I missed being with others to study the Word and the fellowship. A good step for me as I seek to end the backsliding.

However, what I'd really like to get involved with is a 1st Century Christian home church. Not sure how to go about that or even if there is such a thing nearby.

Are any of you part of such a movement? Have you read the book Pagan Christianity? If nothing else I'd like to spend some time conversing with others, even chatting if possible.

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just started to attend a new church recently, the denomination isn't that important since I shall remain non-denominational. It's been a few years since I was in fellowship with other Christians and I missed being with others to study the Word and the fellowship. A good step for me as I seek to end the backsliding.

However, what I'd really like to get involved with is a 1st Century Christian home church. Not sure how to go about that or even if there is such a thing nearby.

Are any of you part of such a movement? Have you read the book Pagan Christianity? If nothing else I'd like to spend some time conversing with others, even chatting if possible.

Many churches have home groups, and I regularly attend one. I think it is important for building close relationships on a spiritual basis.

However, a 1st Century church? Do you have a time machine?
TD^_^

P.S. I do know what you mean.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, we can't go back to the 1st Century, but there are some Christians who simply meet and worship in private homes.

But the first Christians, also, did not only meet in homes, and if you would like to experience a genuinely Apostolic Church, I would recommend attending a Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, or Assyrian Church of the East parish. All of them are Apostolic, though they differ in Christology, views of Christian history, ecclesiology, and Mariology, to some extent. All are liturgical, affirm the Real Presence, affirm that our salvation is a journey of faith and of works, have many beautiful prayers and hymns, venerate the Mother of Christ, and ask the Saints to help them to follow Christ.

Or, just ask questions for now!

Also, welcome to the forums!

Upvote 0

Julian of Norwich

English Catholic
Nov 10, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟81,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well, we can't go back to the 1st Century, but there are some Christians who simply meet and worship in private homes.

But the first Christians, also, did not only meet in homes, and if you would like to experience a genuinely Apostolic Church, I would recommend attending a Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, or Assyrian Church of the East parish. All of them are Apostolic, though they differ in Christology, views of Christian history, ecclesiology, and Mariology, to some extent. All are liturgical, affirm the Real Presence, affirm that our salvation is a journey of faith and of works, have many beautiful prayers and hymns, venerate the Mother of Christ, and ask the Saints to help them to follow Christ.

Or, just ask questions for now!

Also, welcome to the forums!

Or the Anglican Church!

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

BFOJ

Site Supporter
Dec 11, 2018
Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not looking for an institutional church such as the Catholic, Anglican, or any Protestant church. I'm looking for one that is soley based on the New Testament.

Some of you may be aware of the movement to return to 1st Century Christianity which essentially means following the New Testament as written and a Christianity that is not influenced by the Roman empire of the times which itself was influenced by Hellenistic (Greek) philosophy, that included the hierarchy, mythology, and traditions. In addition Christianity is influenced by the Jewish culture and traditions, much of which was based on Mosaic Laws rather than the new Covenant with Jesus.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What you are saying, BFOJ, and how you worded it is basically what the Churches of Christ say they are all about. It is those independent congregations I had reference to in my earlier reply, in case there might have been some doubt. Have you looked into them?

Upvote 0

BFOJ

Site Supporter
Dec 11, 2018
Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have attended an independent Church of Christ, they taught pretty much what most other independent and Protestant churches teach. So, I continue my journey seeking that which is as the NT speaks of during the 1st Century, that prior to the influences I mentioned in a earlier post.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello again. I am not bent upon promoting the Cs of C, but they are not just like the typical Protestant church. Anyway, I am wondering what it is about them that is NOT what you are looking for when you say you are interested in a First Century, Non-denominational church? Is it only that these congregations are not Home Churches?

First Century Christianity initially met in homes, but it would be wrong to think of these as similar to a Bible Study gathering with a small number of people conversing in a living room setting.

If you are looking for a broad-based religious discussion group rather than a church of some variety, it might be hard to locate one. There are directories, but they are notoriously inexact, and the fellowships often go out of business about as quickly as they are formed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BFOJ

Site Supporter
Dec 11, 2018
Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have attended an independent Church of Christ, they taught pretty much what most other independent and Protestant churches teach. So, I continue my journey seeking that which is as the NT speaks of during the 1st Century, that prior to the influences I mentioned in a earlier post.

I have stumbled onto the following forum thread which is in line of my own thinking.

The First Century Church

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. However, this list seems to me to be not very informative:

1) They are vastly different in their dogma
2) They widely in what they accept as Bible doctrine
3) Some of them (mega churches) go directly against Christ's teachings

What dogma or doctrines are those? What is it that is going directly against Christs teachings?

If it seems that I am pressuring you, I will end here; but I really would like to make a good suggestion for your consideration if I could only get a handle on some specifics.

Upvote 0

BFOJ

Site Supporter
Dec 11, 2018
Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello again. I am not bent upon promoting the Cs of C, but they are not just like the typical Protestant church. Anyway, I am wondering what it is about them that is NOT what you are looking for when you say you are interested in a First Century, Non-denominational church? Is it only that these congregations are not Home Churches?

First Century Christianity initially met in homes, but it would be wrong to think of these as similar to a Bible Study gathering with a small number of people conversing in a living room setting.

If you are looking for a broad-based religious discussion group rather than a church of some variety, it might be hard to locate one. There are directories, but they are notoriously inexact, and the fellowships often go out of business about as quickly as they are formed.

For a better understanding of the what I am looking for can best be explained by a post of mine in another forum, my OP this past Sunday @ 11:39 pm.

Pagan Christianity?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BFOJ

Site Supporter
Dec 11, 2018
Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. However, this list seems to me to be not very informative:

1) They are vastly different in their dogma
2) They widely in what they accept as Bible doctrine
3) Some of them (mega churches) go directly against Christ's teachings

What dogma or doctrines are those? What is it that is going directly against Christs teachings?

If it seems that I am pressuring you, I will end here; but I really would like to make a good suggestion for your consideration if I could only get a handle on some specifics.

No, you aren't pressuring me at all, I appreciate anyone that provides constructive thoughts.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ah. I checked that material and although it was a quick read, I think I see better now. The idea seems to me to be to have a fellowship with no agenda or leaders but which does observe the Lords Supper in some way (which of course the typical Bible Study group does not do). That could be a hard to find combination, but TGC itself has a directory on those webpages, and while some of the entries appear to be about conventional churches, others might be closer to the kind of fellowship you have in mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BFOJ

Site Supporter
Dec 11, 2018
Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah. I checked that material and although it was a quick read, I think I see better now. The idea seems to me to be to have a fellowship with no agenda or leaders but which does observe the Lords Supper in some way (which of course the typical Bible Study group does not do). That could be a hard to find combination, but TGC itself has a directory on those webpages, and while some of the entries appear to be about conventional churches, others might be closer to the kind of fellowship you have in mind.

So, you've read the book "Pagan Christianity?"? Or did you read the authors FAQ or just watched the video? Because the book is so, so much more than the narrow description than the idea you mention. I am somewhat doubtful I can find what I am looking for other than in a home group, though in the meantime I do hope to find a source on the Internet to share with like-minded Christians. Perhaps a dedicated website. Of course this is not an acceptable long-term solution for finding like-minded Christians living nearby.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So, you've read the book "Pagan Christianity?"? Or did you read the authors FAQ or just watched the video?
Just what is online.

I am somewhat doubtful I can find what I am looking for other than in a home group, though in the meantime I do hope to find a source on the Internet to share with like-minded Christians.
I agree.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="BFOJ, post: 73501421, member: 415409"]So, you've read the book "Pagan Christianity?"? Or did you read the authors FAQ or just watched the video? Because the book is so, so much more than the narrow description than the idea you mention. I am somewhat doubtful I can find what I am looking for other than in a home group, though in the meantime I do hope to find a source on the Internet to share with like-minded Christians. Perhaps a dedicated website. Of course this is not an acceptable long-term solution for finding like-minded Christians living nearby.[/QUOTE
=============================
If Yahweh permits and guides you to START a home fellowship/ bible study, as many others have done (though few percentage wise),

THAT might be the ONLY "like-minded" group within one hunderd miles or more ....
AND it is WORTH IT, every bit .... Yes.....

(That's possibly why home meetings start most of the time, btw)

Upvote 0