Maaleh Adumim, Israel
Visit site
✟10,967.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

There was yet another suicide-bombing here yesterday. (Did you see the pictures of the charred remains of that passenger bus? 17 people were murdered.) But it happened way up north, far from suburban Jerusalem where I live. My office is in downtown Jerusalem. I've heard automatic weapons fire and several bomb explosions over the years from as close away from my office as 2 blocks. I've been delayed getting home (to the eastern suburb of Maaleh Adumim; the "Inn of the Good Samaritan" and the excavated remains of a large 8th century CE Byzantine monastery are there, see <http://www.jr.co.il/ma/tourism.htm>) several times because one of two junctions that I have to pass through is closed because there was a bombing or one was foiled.

How do I deal with living in this kind of reality (a warped one, if you ask me, where instead of protecting their children with their lives, parents happily send them to take others' lives; go figger)? Believe it or not, I don't think about it all that much. I just shut it out, don't let it get to me (not even a little, because if I let it get to me even a little, it would gnaw away at me until I was a nervous wreck), and go about my business. 11 years ago, when Saddam the Wicked was raining SCUD missiles down on us, a friend of mine asked me if I was worried. I told her that what I was worried about was whether the chocolate chip cookies I had baked that morning were burnt. I was serious. Whether a SCUD falls on me is totally out of my hands; I can neither affect, influence, nor control that. But if the cookies are burnt, well, that's up to me entirely. I figure that when God decides that He wants to see me up close & personal, it won't matter what I'm doing or where I am; when your number is up, your number is up & there's nothing you can do about it. (Omar Khayyam writes, in verse #48 of his Rubaiyat:

While Rose blows along the River Brink,
With old Khayyam and Ruby Vintage drink.
And when the Angel with his darker Draught
Draws up to Thee - take that, and do not shrink.

There's something in the last two lines that I like.) So I go about my business, I ride the buses, I go to Jerusalem's open-air market, I walk along Jaffa road & the downtown pedestrian mall. These are the things that I do and I'll put my faith in God & keep on doing them. Lenin, as evil a man as they come, but a genius nevertheless, who should be studied, defined terrorism. He said that the purpose of terrorism, very simply, is to terrify, to instill fear, enervating, paralyzing, thought-blocking, fear. Killing, he said, is incidental and useful only insofar as it causes and instills fear. I am not going to let the b*st*rds make me afraid, I will not give them that credit. We beat them & tell them, "F*** you!" by not being afraid. Psychologically, this is very important.

One of the worst aspects of living amidst all this insanity is raising children in it. God has been very, very good to my wife & I & has blessed us with two marvelous boys, just over 1.5 & just over 5.5, respectively. (The baby who was blown up along with her grandmother in the Tel Aviv suburb of Petah Tikva on May 27 was almost exactly the age of our youngest boy; stuff like that makes me cringe.) We tell our oldest boy that we do NOT hate Arabs, only the terrorists. (Bigotry & hatred are two things that our boys will not learn from us.) We tell him that the police & soldiers we see all around are there, "to keep us safe." A couple of months ago there was an incident that broke my heart. In a (Jewish) neighborhood of Jerusalem, a 5-year-old boy (about the age our oldest boy is now) was on his way home from a friends house where he had been playing, right down the street from his house. He noticed a traveling bag on the sidewalk, went to a payphone, managed to climb up to it & dial the Israeli equivalent of 9-1-1 & report it. It turned out to be a bomb & rather nasty one at that. Thank God, the kid knew what to do, but ach, it broke my heart that a 5-year-old should have to know such things! When the unholiness here gets really acute, I like to read Isaiah 65:16-25. It comforts me.

Be well!

ssv

panterapat

Praise God in all things!
Jun 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟9,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Dear stillsmallvoice-
Follow the Word of God. Throughout Jewish history, (Old Testament)God has spoken to His Chosen People. When they followed His Word, they prospered and won military victories. When they did not follow the word of God, they were defeated and led into slavery. As you know, the anamosity between Arab vs Jew goes clear back to Ishamil and Issaic, the sons of Abraham. This ancient rivalry may be coming to a head with recent events. Keep the Faith and pray always. I will also pray for you.

Upvote 0

gwyyn

May 24, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟16,071.00
Faith
Christian
I admire your courage and bravery!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will also keep you and your family in my prayers. I have a son who about the same age as your youngest, he'll be 2 in august. So I understand your fears for your children!

But I just wanted to tell you that you are very brave to stay in an area so hostile right now! May God bless you and your family

Upvote 0

stillsmallvoice

The Narn rule!
May 8, 2002
Maaleh Adumim, Israel
Visit site
✟10,967.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

Thank you all for responding to my rambling-ish post. Lessee here...

Panterapat referred to the rivalry between Isaac and Ishmael. Our Sages note that whereas God (Gen. 21:12) seconds Sarah's wish that Abraham expel Hagar & Ishmael, He did not tell Abraham to send them away with only one skin of water & some bread. Look at the gifts that Abraham lavished on Keturah's children (Gen. 25:6) before sending them away. Why the contrast? Why goodies for keturah's children & next to nothing for Haga & Ishmael? One of our Sages says that whereas Keturah's children posed no threat to Isaac's status as Abraham's heir & the one who is responsible for continuing the Abrahamic revolution of ethical monotheism, Ishmael posed just such a threat. Keturah's children did not contest Isaac's claim & his rights, Ishmael definitely did (just as his descendants today still contest the claims & rights of Isaac's descendants). So Ishmael & Hagar were sent away with very little, to make point. (Note how in Gen. 21:16-17, while it is Hagar who weeps, God heard Ishmael's voice, not Hagar's.) But our Sages comment on Gen. 25:9 and teach that Isaac & Ishmael were reconciled when they came together to bury Abraham. May it be God's will that the descendants of Isaac & the descendants of Ishmael similarly reconcile very soon!

Auntie_Bell_Um, funny you should mention my Mom (who lives back in Pittsburgh). She's all for my living here & really doesn't worry (as she might if I lived in, say, Providence RI). As a Jew, there is nowhere I can run from here. This is my place in the world; where else could I go? I cannot run away from my responsibilities & my rights.

I thank gwynn & the worthy one for their prayers & kind thoughts.

In my first post, I referred to Saddam the Wicked. Deuteronomy 25:3 sets the maximum number of stripes a court may administer to a guilty person at 40. Our Sages fixed the maximum number at 39 (in order to avoid the possibility of losing track of the count & giving 41, which would be a violation of a positive Torah commandment). Exactly 39 SCUDs fell on Israel; it makes you wonder...

One of the more charming aspects of raising children here is being issued with a gas mask & automatic atropine (anti-nerve gas) injector. We keep ours & the kids' under our bed. If the Americans take another crack at Saddam, I sure hope they don't do the same half-buttocksed job they did 11 years ago. The Americans asked us not respond to the SCUDs raining down on us; we agreed. But then Bush, Sr. failed to live up to his end of the bargain & finish Saddam off (as weould have). And in the meantime, we have those things under our bed. Hey, I'll bet the Bushes' don't have such things under their bed fior their kids. (Am I bitter about all this?? Weeell, maybe just a teensy-weensy bit).

Be well!

ssv

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by stillsmallvoice

Auntie_Bell_Um, funny you should mention my Mom (who lives back in Pittsburgh). She's all for my living here & really doesn't worry (as she might if I lived in, say, Providence RI). As a Jew, there is nowhere I can run from here. This is my place in the world; where else could I go? I cannot run away from my responsibilities & my rights.

stillsmallvoice,

I didn't mean to offend you, maybe you missed this sentence of mine: "But, you must do what you feel is God's will for your life." Of course you should not run away from your rights, or your responsibilities.

I also pray for you, that God would keep you and your family safe.

I too am sorry that Bush did not take out Saddam, and I don't understand why he didn't. International pressure from other countries maybe? I don't know. My son was in the Marines during the time of the Gulf War, and he received his orders to go to Iraq four times. And four times the order was called off. There was something strange going on there.

Upvote 0
I dunno who God wants to reconcile, but in Obadiah,the house of Jacob is described as a fire, the house of Joseph a flame, and the house of Esau is described as stubble. Now I dunno, but since it says it will be as if they never existed to begin with, looks like their is little chance for some houses to get along at all!

Some people from an Israeli company called Elbit has been at my facility a few times lately, supporting their weapons guidance system. I think it really means alot to these guys to here us voice words of total support to our Israeli brothers. We all keep them, and Israel in our prayers. Many take the bombings even more personal, now that they know good people in Israel, and it might be a friend that gets shredded by a homocide bomber.

Upvote 0