Sep 19, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟17,042.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have always been afraid to take up the role of a preacher/pastor...and while I am not certain God plans for me to be a pastor, I know He called me to preach. I have used so many excuses as to why I couldn't do it. And to tell the truth I never could see myself as an elder in the church. The most I have ever really done is testify. But I am so shy that I never really do that either. I always fear moving at the wrong time and being a henderance rather than help. Plus I Just feel as though I have never got anything to say. I am a quiet man.

Yet God keeps on leting me know He wants this from me. It isn't a question to me at all. I know what He wants and I accept it. But I need so much training! I do not believe a bible school is really NEEDED, as all it can do is teach the bible that I already study. But I think maybe it would be a good idea anyway and provide a way for me to gain confidence.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on this matter.

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
First, I want to encourage you to continue to seek God about your calling and possible future ministry. It sounds as if you are very sincere in wanting to please God with your life.

If you genuinely feel that God is calling you into some form of teaching/preaching ministry, then I STRONGLY suggest you prepare yourself as best as you can for that ministry.

IMHO, that would include attending some form of Bible College for training. (Notice, I said training not teaching) While it is true that you can study the Bible yourself, the teachers at a Bible college will be able to help you organize your studies of scripture, thereby making them more thorough and easier for you to explain truths of scripture to others.

But more than that, Bible college is where you can be trained in many of the practical aspects of ministry. These include how to organize a sermon/teaching so that you present everything you feel God is speaking in a way that people can remember. The whole idea is not that the congregation can pat you on the back after church, but that they can take home something that will stick with them and enhance their walk with God. Having training in this area will also help greatly with the shyness, as you will get practice speaking in a 'safe' environment. You will also be MUCH more confident when preaching if you feel like you know what you are doing.

Bible School will also include the basics in pastoral counseling, so that you can have an idea of how to best assist those who are going through various crises. You will also get a lot of wisdom from 'veteran' ministers on the mistakes they made in ministry and how not to make the same mistakes yourself.

You will learn how to prepare for weddings, baptisms, funerals, etc.-- all of which are key steps in the lives of the people you will be ministering to. For many people, these are the only times they come to church and how you handle yourself at these key times may make all the difference in the world if you will ever be able to touch them for Christ.

These are just a few of the areas... I could go on and on... the biggest advantage of going to some kind of Bible School though is that you will be in a place where you will be exposed to MANY different types of ministry-- some you may not have even thought of-- and in that process you can find exactly what ministry God has for you.

Honestly, the things I remember the most from seminary (I have a B.A. in Church Ministries, a M.Div. and am working on a 2nd Masters) were not the Bible classes-- although those were good-- but the practical how-to classes on ministry. I learned so much from my professors and I still call some of them periodically when I run into difficult situations and ask for their advice.

Blessings!

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Hello!
I have felt God's presence with me in deciding on my future career. I am going to university to become a youth pastor. It is something I REALLY look forward to! I know this is what I am set out to do!
I can kind of understand your feelings as well. Sometimes I can be so shy with people, but if I get talking about something of interest, I am so outgoing. I can be like two totally different people, on either extreme.
I enjoy working with younger people (I say younger because I am young myself!) and children. I am so excited!

Upvote 0

Joshua Howard

Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit of Happiness
Jan 13, 2004
Tacoma, WA
✟7,951.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you're looking for a good Bible College... Only $1200 will pay for your first semester here; For a conservative and cost effective solution, you should check this one out. BMI Offers:
  • Bachelor of Theology
  • Bachelor of Arts in Religious Ed.
  • B.A. in Religious Ed. - Missions Major
  • B.A. In Religious Ed. - Nursing Major
  • B.A. in Religious Ed - Major in Teacher Education
  • Three Year Associate Degree in Theology
  • Two Year Associate Degree in Religious Education
  • Two Year Associate Degree in Sacred Music
The Bible Missionary Institute is the theological institute of the Bible Missionary Church, which is weslian (Holiness) in belief.

I personally know the man in charge of the school's finances, as well as a number of people who have gone there. Once you get in, if you are really serious, you won't need to worry about costs... They'll float you through if necessary. This isn't like any ordinary seminary... It is well worth your time to go there, and you will come out a changed person. I plan to go there in one or two years. Below is their contact information:

Bible Missionary Institute​
3501 46th Avenue​
Rock Island, IL 61201​
-​

Phone: (309) 788-0491​
Fax: (309) 788-1073​

Hope this helps!

In Christ Jesus,

Joshua

Upvote 0