GA
Visit site
✟18,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
genez said:
I see this point I made is being used to reveal some inate antagonism. So, it served a purpose in revealing the "fruit" of this tree. I guess that's why the Lord had me bring it up. We all need to be exposed, you know. Its the only way we can truly grow. We are all sinners saved by grace. Trouble is, when we want to save the sinner part for ourselves. :priest:
Try a safety glass mirror next time. They do not shatter. :holy:
What?! I was referring to myself! I lost the point about "Law" always being separate from Torah and you glibly added insult to injury. There is definitely some frustration on my side, but it's because you keep turning yourself around to look holy and omniscient. You have not once admitted you were wrong: you have not conceded the point about Peter's comments, and you ignored my point about how talking arrogantly to those with less knowledge bears no resemblance to the character of Christ. Show me where Christ mocked the unlearned in such a slimy manner. He did, however, openly vent his frustrations with those who should know better, as I am now doing.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Didaskomenos said:
What?! I was referring to myself!

I could have never gotten that from what you said. I can never see you referring to yourself as a loser. ;)

I lost the point about "Law" always being separate from Torah and you glibly added insult to injury. There is definitely some frustration on my side, but it's because you keep turning yourself around to look holy and omniscient.

That's how you see it? Who am I, to argue with your analysis?

You have not once admitted you were wrong: you have not conceded the point about Peter's comments, and you ignored my point about how talking arrogantly to those with less knowledge bears no resemblance to the character of Christ. Show me where Christ mocked the unlearned in such a slimy manner. He did, however, openly vent his frustrations with those who should know better, as I am now doing.

Now, tell us? ... How does it feel to be holy and omniscient?

............off one foot and onto another......

When are you going to refer to the page I gave you? You keep making this petty issue the main concern. It is not. Out with a gnat, and leave in a camel? Now, the real issue, please? No more sidetracks? Then, after that is dealt with, if you wish to come back to this petty matter, then we can discuss it. Ok?

After all, this thread is titled... "Literal Reading of Genesis and its so called Contradictions." You seem more content to make imagined or real offenses the main issue rather than remain objective and continue on with the true issue at stake. After all, this thread is not about you, nor, I.

Now, can we dust off our shoes and continue with the main issue?

http://www.custance.org/Library/WFANDV/index.html

Forget about the speck of dust called "GeneZ," for a moment. Concentrate on what is essential. That link is essential. I am not.

Grace and peace, GeneZ

Upvote 0

Didaskomenos

Voiced Bilabial Spirant
Feb 11, 2002
GA
Visit site
✟18,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I read just about everything in those six pages (though not the appendices). I think it's a fascinating idea...I'd like to believe it. I just don't know...all that theology from one disputable verb. As I understand it, "became" is not possible because the noun, ha'arets, is in sentence initial position. Besides that, the Jewish traditions about prior creations seem to mimic Babylonian and Sumerian cosmological beliefs, and hence suggest that Hebrew theologians did not view the Genesis account as an exhaustive discourse on the subject of the creation of the universe. Like I said, there's something "cool" about pre-Adamic what-not that I think is intriguing, sorta like the sons of God and daughters of men thing (what's that talking about, anyway?) or that bit about the sons of Anak. However, I don't always think that just because few teachers believe it that it is true (cults are an extreme by-product of this thinking). Nevertheless, I will continue to look and see if there is a possibility that hayah could refer to something else.

I read that book of yours to the end (skimming where it got kinda over my head in technicalities). Meanwhile, have you finished Walton's presentation yet?

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Didaskomenos said:
I read just about everything in those six pages (though not the appendices). I think it's a fascinating idea...I'd like to believe it. I just don't know...all that theology from one disputable verb. As I understand it, "became" is not possible because the noun, ha'arets, is in sentence initial position. Besides that, the Jewish traditions about prior creations seem to mimic Babylonian and Sumerian cosmological beliefs, and hence suggest that Hebrew theologians did not view the Genesis account as an exhaustive discourse on the subject of the creation of the universe. Like I said, there's something "cool" about pre-Adamic what-not that I think is intriguing, sorta like the sons of God and daughters of men thing (what's that talking about, anyway?) or that bit about the sons of Anak. However, I don't always think that just because few teachers believe it that it is true (cults are an extreme by-product of this thinking). Nevertheless, I will continue to look and see if there is a possibility that hayah could refer to something else.

I read that book of yours to the end (skimming where it got kinda over my head in technicalities). Meanwhile, have you finished Walton's presentation yet?

It does not matter which way you translate "Hayah." Became? Was? It does not matter. The writers of the Masoretic text even had an indicator to show there was a pause between verse one, and two. When I was attending Bible College back in the late 70's we had one teacher who used to teach ancient languages at Harvard. He too, pointed out this pause in the Hebrew. It was as if one scene closed, and the curtain opened for another.

The scholars see that "emtpy and void" passage means much more than simply those generic terms used in translation. The Hebrew (tohu wa bohu) indicates an utter chaos and disorder, followed by an eerie feeling of emptiness. Something one would picture of Hiroshima after the atomic bomb was dropped. God does not create something that way. It had to become that way. That is why they debate the meaning of "hayah." It would be like God forming the body of Adam from the elements of the earth with limbs malformed and defective and with a hunchback... and have a look of death on his face. God would have never created him that way. He would have had to suffer a great accident to become that way... So, we can say...

"In the beginning God formed Adam's body from the elements of the earth...

(pause) fade into next scene.....

Now, Adam's body was broken and cut and all over... teeth were missing, and one eye was atrophied in its socket."

It says his body was that way. Yet, knowing there was a pause and fade, the next scene opens up with an utterly messed up Adam. We know God would have not created him that way! So, we can safely assume that he had become that way at some time during the pause. The length of the pause has not been determined. Likewise... scholars argue that God could not have created the earth "tohu wa bohu" (utter chaos and with a sense of eerie emptiness about it)... so they try and make "hayah" to mean 'became.'

Problem is, they try too hard. The Torah was to be read out loud to others. The intro to Genesis is very dramatic in effect...

"In the beginning God created (bara - out from nothing) the heavens and earth!"

(now... pause....)

(now.... begin again, reading)....

"And the earth was in utter ruin and chaos, and a eerie sense of emptiness was present"...

As long as we can see that pause being there for dramatic effect, we can read this like a fade out in a movie script... with a continuation that begins at a new point in time which is in the present.

In my opinion? Scholars have been wrongfully concentrating on the word "hayah", which can mean, 'became', or, 'was.' There has been an endless debate over the syntax and tense of this verb. What they missed was the significance of that pause that the writers of the Masoretic text made sure to make note of between verses one, and two! I believe that is the key to understanding the original intent...

Do not think, I think myself clever. The grace of God made this known to me as if I were teaching it now to you. I knew absolutely that it was not of myself. It is so obvious, yet impossible to see without God willing the eyes of the heart to be made open.

"Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures." Luke 24:45 niv

That's how we know anything from the Scripture worth knowing. Faith is a gift from God. Faith comes by hearing the message...

Grace and peace, GeneZ

Upvote 0

Eric_C

May 22, 2004
Southwestern US
✟503.00
Faith
Christian
To all

I apologize for the late replies to this thread, been kinda busy the last two weeks.

gluadys said:
Eric_C said:
Theres just one problem I'm having with a particular passage though, maybe you can help me with it. It is Genesis 3:1-6 where it is shown that the serpent, who is the devil or Satan, is the first one to question the literal meaning of what God said to Adam and Eve. Thus he is dubbed later in Scripture the father of lies, a lier from the beginning. How can I get around this passage? Clearly, if I use this method of non literal interpretation I'm bringing into question the literal meaning of what God said. I fear that I would be fallowing in the foot steps of the serpent. Will you tell me how you deal with this passage?
Where in Genesis does it say the snake is Satan?

You might also do a study on all the appearances of the word "ha-satan" (not just the name, the word) in the Old Testament. It might surprise you how often a "ha-satan" was commissioned to his/her task by God. In at least one passage, the "ha-satan" is an angel of God (and not necessarily the same angel as appears with that name in Job.) More often the "ha-satan" is a human being.

Satan, as "the devil" and "father of lies" only appears in the New Testament, and reflects the development of theology (especially apocalyptic theology) in the inter-testamental period.

And the NT doesn't say the snake in the garden was Satan either.
So thats how you deal with it. Red herrings and Fallacies of distraction and hope that the fact of not answering the question is missed, I gotcha. As for me, no can do.

gluadys said:
butxifxnot said:
the bible says that He confounds the wise. the wise are the ones who use this argument. I trust God at His word. You might say that it is a test to see whether we trust in His word or the word of man.
What about the word of creation? That is the word Karl is referring to. Does creation come from God or not? Can creation lie about itself?
gluadys said:
butxifxnot said:
Adam could not tell how old he was from his physical body...

of course creation comes from God. Everyone here agrees with that.
Your first point depends on assuming that Genesis 2 is a literal description of the creation of an individual human male in adult form. That is far from the only possible interpretation.

However, since you argue that Adam's age was illusory, I take it you are applying the illusion of maturity argument to all of creation and agreeing that creation can lie about itself.

So then, why does scripture point us to creation as a witness to God? Why should we believe what a lying witness tells us about its maker?
I assume that what you mean by "the word of creation", or "scriptures point us to creation" is based on a literal interpretation of Scripture? What happened to the literary framework method? Ah, I see, it doesn't fit your preconceived notions, now you need the literal. How convenient for you.

To answer your question "can creation lie about itself?" absolutely! Men are part of the creation, are they not? They lie to themselves, they lie about themselves, they lie about the creation to themselves and to others. It is only in the interpretation of the word of creation where that lying takes place, the same is true of the word of Scripture. Here is a little something that Jesus said for you to consider. John 5:31 "If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true." Can the creation bear witness of itself? No! The Scripture (creation account) testifies of the creation and as it says in Job, the testimony of the creation is of The Lord, that He The Lord did it the same way that The Scripture said it happened. Two witnesses to confirm the facts. The scriptures do not say evolution concerning the creation, nor do they say billions of years, those are things that can only be read into the text through fictitious interpretation.

Now, concerning the appearance of age.

John 2:7-11

"Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim. And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare [it]. When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew); the governor of the feast called the bridegroom, And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: [but] thou hast kept the good wine until now. This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him."

In the passage above it is clear that the wine had no history of being wine, yet it was wine. Something created with an appearance of history that it did not have! In His earthly ministry, this very first miracle done by The Creator of the universe to show forth His Glory as such. Was the water that He made into wine lying to the guests at the wedding because it didn't come through the roots of a grape vine? Surely their observations told them that the water in wine comes through the vine, a season of natural processes and then harvested and the process of fermentation. All these things the wine did not have, only the appearance of them at the command of His word, yet it was not less than wine.

2 Peter 3:5

"For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:"

Matthew 14:28-31

"And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth [his] hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?"

Must all of you TEs, Gap Theorist, Day Age'rs, and whatever form of mutation of the creation account you hold to'rs, ignore the lesson learned by Peter? Jesus allows Peter to put it in his own terms and gives him just one word to trust "COME". And what does Peter do? He looks at the ranting winds of the creation and doubts what The Creator said.

Matthew 14:32

"And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased."

I guarantee that if you come into the ship of trust, the blowing rhetoric of the billions of years of the evolutionist will cease. Jesus will calm the storms of naturalism.

Peace in Christ Jesus

Eric

Upvote 0

Eric_C

May 22, 2004
Southwestern US
✟503.00
Faith
Christian
genez said:
Problem is this. Genesis 1 describes the present creation. It also reveals that there was a prior creation!
No, it does not reveal anything accept the present creation.

genez said:
YEC's only see this creation as being the only creation to come from the hands of God. Yet, even the NT and OT Scripture speak of a New Earth that will replace this one.
Because that is what the text says, very clearly in both cases. The text does not say anything about a prior creation anywhere in The Scripture.

genez said:
God will do it again. He did it in the past, and he will do it again. In the future, this present creation will be replaced by a new one. So, YEC's should no be so shocked to learn that this one has replaced another one. There have been multiple creations. It explains why we see sudden changes in lifeforms, yet we find no sufficient evidence for transitional forms that evolution requires to be vindicated... Try that link, please. Hopefully, you will see an answer you could not see before.
Genesis 2:1-3

"Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made."

The meaning of the Hebrew word translated as ALL does not allow for it to be a selective all. It means all the whole of everything described as created and made. Heaven, earth and created are the same words here in Genesis 2:1-3 as in Genesis 1:1. This is clear evidence that Genesis 1:1 is included in the six days that God rested from on the seventh.

Both Venus and Mars could be described as you interpret Genesis 1:2 tohu and bohu and God did create them that way. Thus your claim (in another post), that God does not create things as you interpret tohu and bohu, is erroneous.

The Hebrew word Hayah can also be translated as meaning "be in existence" or "to come into being" or "appear" any of which would not violate the context. Unless of course, one is assuming a huge gap of billions of years between 1:1 and 1:2. With the only evidence being a mere pause in the text and the overwhelming abundance of text that confirm 1:1 as part of day one, I reject the gap theory. There was not anything new to me on the link you gave.

There was something that did catch my eye in the quote from Louis Ginsberg

Louis Ginsberg said:
"Nor is this world inhabited by man the first of things

earthly created by God. He made several other worlds

before ours, but He destroyed them all, because He was

pleased with none until He created ours."

http://www.custance.org/Library/WFANDV/chap1.html
How could such a thing be possible for God who knows all things and the end from the beginning? Such a statement is inconsistent with what the Bible teaches concerning the nature of God. This also places limits on The Limitless, measures on The Immeasurable. It also suggests that God has need of learning from His creation.

Isaiah 40:28

"Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, [that] the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? [there is] no searching of his understanding."

What would be the purpose of Him creating a world that He knows He is not going to be pleased with, except there be a plan of salvation for that world? Do you have some Biblical evidence of such a plan for those supposed past worlds that were destroyed?

genez said:
Arguing with YEC's is like arguing with a drunk. And, they arguing with TE's is also like arguing with a drunk. Two drunks arguing? No one wins! (sobering thought)...
You are aware... that back-biting is a sin?

Just one more thing. I did not come to an understanding of the creation account by way of some creationism organization or their website. I came to this understanding by reading and accepting the Scripture, BY FAITH!

Peace in Christ Jesus

Eric

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Eric_C said:
There was something that did catch my eye in the quote from Louis Ginsberg

How could such a thing be possible for God who knows all things and the end from the beginning? Such a statement is inconsistent with what the Bible teaches concerning the nature of God. This also places limits on The Limitless, measures on The Immeasurable. It also suggests that God has need of learning from His creation.

How could what such thing be possible? Maybe if you did a bit of research into why these things are said, then you would not make such quick presumptuous assumptions.

As for anything else you said? You simply disagree without giving any details. Fine. That's called, "you're intitled to your opinion." But, that's all you offered.

As for Hayah, found in Genesis 1:2? Grab and NIV, and look at the footnote for that verb.

Scientifically, this planet can be proven to be very old. Any one who espouses the Young Earth Theory is convincing scientists, who are even half right on the data, that Christianity must be for the brainwashable, and superstitious. You have no idea how stupid and dishonest YEC's appear to scientists concerning the data on the age of this planet. But, you think you are taking a stand for faith, and the devil has scientists who believe in an old earth as being deceived. Now, when it comes to explaining evolution and the fossil record, then its they who should "judge not." For they do very similar things in refusing to face certain issues facing them.

Now, the Hayah issue has been debated by great Christian scholars. And, Toho wa bohu is something that many early Biblical scholars saw, long before Darwin was born. You can fluff it all off if you wish. Fine. I am not out to prove anything to you that you refuse to see. I am only here to reveal and offer. I know what I have found, and it does not depend on you accepting it to make it valid.

Now, leave me out and go back arguing with evolutionists in your unresolvable, never ending debate.... where each sees the errors of the other, but never can acknowldege their own.

Have a nice day... Grace and peace, GeneZ

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Eric_C said:
gluadys said:
Where in Genesis does it say the snake is Satan?

You might also do a study on all the appearances of the word "ha-satan" (not just the name, the word) in the Old Testament. It might surprise you how often a "ha-satan" was commissioned to his/her task by God. In at least one passage, the "ha-satan" is an angel of God (and not necessarily the same angel as appears with that name in Job.) More often the "ha-satan" is a human being.

Satan, as "the devil" and "father of lies" only appears in the New Testament, and reflects the development of theology (especially apocalyptic theology) in the inter-testamental period.

And the NT doesn't say the snake in the garden was Satan either.

So thats how you deal with it. Red herrings and Fallacies of distraction and hope that the fact of not answering the question is missed, I gotcha. As for me, no can do.

No, it is you who put in the original red herring. You began with the assumption that the serpent in the garden is Satan. But you did not justify that assumption from scripture. You have never checked out that this was the case.

The writer did not name the snake as Satan. Since your question was based on the assumption of this identification, I say the question cannot be answered as stated, since the assumption has not been supported from scripture.

I assume that what you mean by "the word of creation", or "scriptures point us to creation" is based on a literal interpretation of Scripture? What happened to the literary framework method? Ah, I see, it doesn't fit your preconceived notions, now you need the literal. How convenient for you.

I don't know of anyone who boasts of interpreting the bible literally who genuinely reads every single phrase literally. All agree that some passages of scripture are intentionally poetic and figurative and are to be read as such. No one holds that when the lover of the Song of Songs speaks of his beloved's hair running down her shoulders like goats down a mountain that we should seriously consider her hair was made of small horned and hooved animals.

By the same token I know of absolutely no one who maintains that nothing in scripture is to be interpreted literally. Of course there are passages for which a literal reading is the preferred reading. For me to appeal to a literal reading of some parts of scripture is no more inconsistent than for you to appeal to the figurative nature of another part.

Problems only occur when we do not agree about the status of a particular text.

By the "word of creation" I mean anything in the universe which was not produced by human hands and/or minds. That includes ourselves as creatures of God, but not the creations we produce from our imaginations. And, of course, it includes all the rest of nature such as stars, mountains, vegetation and all other non-human forms of life. Time and again scripture calls them to witness to the glory, majesty and wisdom of their creator and faults those who fail to consider their witness.

Science, at its core, is essentially a close and detailed reading of what 19th century theologians called this "second book of God"---the book of God's works.

To answer your question "can creation lie about itself?" absolutely! Men are part of the creation, are they not? They lie to themselves, they lie about themselves, they lie about the creation to themselves and to others.

But the lies come from their imagination. And when they try to lie about creation, another more honest investigator comes along and discovers the truth. Creation itself is incapable of lying about itself, and its truth stands sure through whatever devious schemes men engage in. We see this regularly in criminal investigations, where people have tried to hide the truth, but been found out because they simply could not cover all their tracks.

Here is a little something that Jesus said for you to consider. John 5:31 "If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true." Can the creation bear witness of itself? No! The Scripture (creation account) testifies of the creation and as it says in Job, the testimony of the creation is of The Lord,

Indeed it is. And so the testimony of creation to itself is as true as Jesus' witness of himself, and for the same reason--"there is another who testifies on my behalf, and I know that his testimony of me is true." Unlike humans, creation is incapable of lying, so if it bears false testimony, that testimony comes from the second witness. And the second witness is the LORD.

I do not believe God lies to us.

The scriptures do not say evolution concerning the creation, nor do they say billions of years, those are things that can only be read into the text through fictitious interpretation.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. There are many things scripture does not speak of that are nevertheless true.

Now, concerning the appearance of age.

This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him."

In the passage above it is clear that the wine had no history of being wine, yet it was wine.

And as stated, it was a miracle.

Now creation is a miracle, to be sure. But it is a miracle whose effects we still see and can study.

The evidence of the miracle of Cana is no longer with us. So we can draw no scientific conclusions from it.

And what if we had been there? What if we had studied the leftover wine (if any) several days later? What would we expect to find? That it was now rancid, vinegary wine not fit to drink---indicating its age since it came to be. Just as creation tells us its age since it came to be.

2 Peter 3:5

"For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:"

I have no problems with this. Not sure what your point was in including it.

Matthew 14:28-31

"And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth [his] hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?"

Must all of you TEs, Gap Theorist, Day Age'rs, and whatever form of mutation of the creation account you hold to'rs, ignore the lesson learned by Peter? Jesus allows Peter to put it in his own terms and gives him just one word to trust "COME". And what does Peter do? He looks at the ranting winds of the creation and doubts what The Creator said.

And why would Peter not be wrong to think the Creator was incapable of ruling his creation?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.