Literal Interpretation of Bible Prophecy: Help or Hinderance?

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a simple rule for determining which prophecies are literal and which are symbolic.
With all due respect (and I mean that sincerely), I don't think there is a "simple rule". The way I look at prophecy is to treat it literally by default IF it makes sense to do so. If it does not make sense to do so, then the symbols used in the prophecy are defined elsewhere in Scripture so you can still know what the prophecy means.

As a case in point, take Rev. 9:1 -> "Then the fifth angel sounded: And I saw a star fallen from heaven to the earth. To him was given the key to the bottomless pit."

Now a star (picture our sun or a star even bigger) can't possibly fall to the earth without totally consuming it before it even gets here. Not only that but the star is personified, i.e., "to *him* was given". So even though I'd initially assume this is literal, there's no way it could be. So now I go and find where "star" is used to mean something other than a literal star. (And I don't have to go too far, as Revelation itself says that a star can be another term for angel.) The whole thing makes sense if you substitute angel for star, so this is clearly a symbolic prophecy.

I've found in my study of Revelation (can't speak to other prophecies) that it always seems to work like this. Either it's literal, and it may be fantastic but still make sense. Or if it doesn't make any sense and I can find Scriptural support for using symbols, then that's the alternative.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
With all due respect (and I mean that sincerely), I don't think there is a "simple rule". The way I look at prophecy is to treat it literally by default IF it makes sense to do so. If it does not make sense to do so, then the symbols used in the prophecy are defined elsewhere in Scripture so you can still know what the prophecy means.

As a case in point, take Rev. 9:1 -> "Then the fifth angel sounded: And I saw a star fallen from heaven to the earth. To him was given the key to the bottomless pit."

Now a star (picture our sun or a star even bigger) can't possibly fall to the earth without totally consuming it before it even gets here. Not only that but the star is personified, i.e., "to *him* was given". So even though I'd initially assume this is literal, there's no way it could be. So now I go and find where "star" is used to mean something other than a literal star. (And I don't have to go too far, as Revelation itself says that a star can be another term for angel.) The whole thing makes sense if you substitute angel for star, so this is clearly a symbolic prophecy.

I've found in my study of Revelation (can't speak to other prophecies) that it always seems to work like this. Either it's literal, and it may be fantastic but still make sense. Or if it doesn't make any sense and I can find Scriptural support for using symbols, then that's the alternative.

By taking such a vision as intended to be interpreted literally, you would be ignoring the precedent of every prophetic dream or vision in the entire Bible which is accompanied by an inspired interpretation. Without a single exception, every one of these had a meaning entirely different from what the prophet saw.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By taking such a vision as intended to be interpreted literally, you would be ignoring the precedent of every prophetic dream or vision in the entire Bible which is accompanied by an inspired interpretation. Without a single exception, every one of these had a meaning entirely different from what the prophet saw.
I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what you're trying to tell me. To keep it simple, let's focus on Rev. 9:1. Are you saying that there's going to be a literal star (like the sun, Alpha Centauri, etc.) crash into the earth? Are you saying this literal star is going to be given a key and then open the pit?

Or are you saying that the prophecy means something totally other than a star, a key, and a pit?

Or are you saying that the symbolic interpretation Scripture seems to provide (i.e., a star = angel) is not correct?

I really don't understand. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what you're trying to tell me. To keep it simple, let's focus on Rev. 9:1. Are you saying that there's going to be a literal star (like the sun, Alpha Centauri, etc.) crash into the earth? Are you saying this literal star is going to be given a key and then open the pit?

Or are you saying that the prophecy means something totally other than a star, a key, and a pit?

Or are you saying that the symbolic interpretation Scripture seems to provide (i.e., a star = angel) is not correct?

I really don't understand. Thanks.

I am not offering any theory as to the symbolic meaning of this, or of any other apocalyptic vision. I am only saying that the scriptural precedent shows that this does not mean a literal star, a literal key. or a literal pit.

Upvote 0