Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would really rather other people didn't give a c**p about my spiritual life, but that is too much to ask.
We have this thing called The Great Commission; ever heard of it?

I just recently reviewed that thread that someone started on why Jesus wept and shook my head at the ridicule in it.

Now you know why He wept -- people weren't giving a [hoot] about their spiritual lives.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,953,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would rather not be looked down on just because I believe differently from you.
I'm sorry, Naraoia, I don't mean to; and I apologize if I come across that way, but respecting your comfort zone is not a good enough reason to shove the Bible aside -- just like you wouldn't shelve your science to keep me in my comfort zone.

Believe me -- believe me -- 'fool' is a mild term from the Old Testament, compared to the term the New Testament uses.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,953,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have come to accept that the above is too much from any religious person.
That works two ways, chief.

Have you ever taken the time to just peruse some of the tags at the bottom of these pages?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Have you ever taken the time to just peruse some of the tags at the bottom of these pages?

No, it really doesn't work both ways. Personally, I don't go around trying to "convert" people to atheism. As you already mentioned, it might not work both ways, but many of the people that I consider friends are religious, and I do accept their beliefs while not trying to turn them away from religion. The opposite is not true, every single one of them tries or has tried to convert me at some point. I also don't see people preaching atheism on TV.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,953,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, it really doesn't work both ways. Personally, I don't go around trying to "convert" people to atheism. As you already mentioned, it might not work both ways, but many of the people that I consider friends are religious, and I do accept their beliefs while not trying to turn them away from religion. The opposite is not true, every single one of them tries or has tried to convert me at some point. I also don't see people preaching atheism on TV.
No comment.

Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry, Naraoia, I don't mean to; and I apologize if I come across that way, but respecting your comfort zone is not a good enough reason to shove the Bible aside -- just like you wouldn't shelve your science to keep me in my comfort zone.

Believe me -- believe me -- 'fool' is a mild term from the Old Testament, compared to the term the New Testament uses.
I'm not asking you to shove the Bible aside - I just take issue with some of the attitudes that come from it. I know, I know, you're all or nothing, either it's all Truth or you have to "shove it aside"... Well, I'll just have to keep taking issue with your attitudes then.

(It's worth noting that the same Bible also tells you not to judge...)

Most of them are pretty silly, if you ask me.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,953,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've noticed that people tend to resort to ad hom when they've run out of argument.
Pssst ... 'ad hom' is an argument.
Wikipedia said:
An ad hominem (Latin form for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

verysincere

Exegete/Linguist
Jan 18, 2012
Haiti
✟18,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tobewan presents an interesting delight to some:

FLORIDA COURT SETS ATHEIST HOLY DAY

In Florida, an Atheist created a case against the upcoming Easter and Passover holy days. He hired an attorney to bring a discrimination case against Christians, Jews and observances of their holy days. The argument was that it was unfair that atheists had no such recognized days.

The case was brought before a judge. After listening to the pass ionate presentation by the lawyer, the judge banged his gavel declaring, “Case dismissed!”

The lawyer immediately stood objecting to the ruling saying, “Your honor, how can you possibly dismiss this case? The Christians have Christmas, Easter and others. The Jews have Passover, Yom Kippur and Hanukkah, yet my client and all other atheists have no such holidays.”

The judge leaned forward in his chair saying, “But you do. Your client, counsel, is woefully ignorant.” The lawyer said, “Your Honor, we are unaware of any special observance or holiday for atheists.”

The judge said, “The calendar says April 1st is April Fools Day. Psalm 14:1 states , ‘The fool says in his heart, there is no God. ‘ Thus, it is the opinion of this court, that if your client says there is no God, then he is a fool. Therefore, April 1st is his day. Court is adjourned.”

You gotta love a Judge that knows his scripture!

I assume you posted this very old urban legend for entertainment purposes----but do keep in mind that we have a lot of gullible people here who are prone to assume that it is an actual news story.

(Of course, anyone with common sense would see through the wording of the very first sentence. But even common sense tends to be an endangered species in some environments.)

Upvote 0

tobewan

Jan 29, 2012
Not really home yet
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CALIFORNIA SUN posted: If you've got a religious belief that withers in the face of the natural world, you ought to rethink your beliefs - rethinking the world is not an option.
-PZ Myers.
Scientists continue to re-think their beliefs, because what they imagined and presented as facts, proved to be not so.
Creationists know who created creation, no need to re-think! God IS, enough said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,953,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I assume you posted this very old urban legend for entertainment purposes----but do keep in mind that we have a lot of gullible people here who are prone to assume that it is an actual news story.
While Snopes says the story is false here, it would certainly make for an interesting ruling.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaSun

Feb 24, 2011
✟2,613.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
CALIFORNIA SUN posted: If you've got a religious belief that withers in the face of the natural world, you ought to rethink your beliefs - rethinking the world is not an option.
-PZ Myers.
Scientists continue to re-think their beliefs, because what they imagined and presented as facts, proved to benot so.
Creationists now who created creation, no need to re-think! God IS, enough said.
Well there you go.

Upvote 0

tobewan

Jan 29, 2012
Not really home yet
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The One True Creator is a God of Life, not death. Black Holes as told to us pose death to what goes there, per astrologists. As yet, there isn't any proof given of that. I still believe that deadly Black Holes" are not what a life giving God would create. Satan is the god of death, here in our realm. Jeus explained that about God being the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.