Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can Linux still be used? I am wondering now because now they no longer care about merit but now use ultra leftist ideology to include anyone even if one is no good just because they are LGBTWUMFMHHF+ Sometimes I really hate this world. The only option seems to be now BSD unless they to have something similar.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I was a contributor to the kernel in the early days, but haven't done anything recently. So I'm basing my reaction on press coverage.

People should in fact be able to participate based purely upon their coding, and not the kinds of things listed in the Code as inappropriate. Some people have considered the community unfriendly to outsiders. While the Code seems reasonable, it's not going to make people friendly.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can Linux still be used? I am wondering now because now they no longer care about merit but now use ultra leftist ideology to include anyone even if one is no good just because they are LGBTWUMFMHHF+ Sometimes I really hate this world. The only option seems to be now BSD unless they to have something similar.
I am typing this from my laptop that uses LMDE 3.
Actually,I triple boot with Linux Mint Tara and Antergos.

So, I would definitely say it's usable.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the people behind this decision understand the fire they're playing with. If the developers who have built this kernel over the past few decades decide to take back their work (which I'm told is a distinct possibility), nobody is qualified to say how much damage will be done or if recovery will even be possible.

Part of me hopes it happens so that when everything falls apart, the SJW's and green-haired cat ladies responsible for it won't have anybody else to blame.

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am typing this from my laptop that uses LMDE 3.
Actually,I triple boot with Linux Mint Tara and Antergos.

So, I would definitely say it's usable.

I never said it is not usable, I use EOS right now. What concerns me is that they decided to make things political to the extreme left by saying merit does not matter over gender identity politics

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I never said it is not usable, I use EOS right now. What concerns me is that they decided to make things political to the extreme left by saying merit does not matter over gender identity politics
Nothing in the code says merit doesn't matter. Look at what's actually enforceable: "Instances of abusive, harassing, or otherwise unacceptable behavior may be
reported by contacting the Technical Advisory Board."

Here's the old language: "If however, anyone feels personally abused, threatened, or otherwise-uncomfortable due to this process, that is not acceptable. If so,
please contact the Linux Foundation's Technical Advisory Board at
<tab@lists.linux-foundation.org>, or the individual members, and they
will work to resolve the issue to the best of their ability.

What has changed is a more explicit definition of abuse and harassment. (The definition isn't included in my excerpt from the new Code.)

While I didn't see this when I was working on the kernel (Linus was still an undergrad then), quotes from his postings suggest abrasive tendencies. I'm used that that approach, and wouldn't be bothered by it. But a bit more diplomacy could be helpful in building the community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It does mention that merit does not matter that one does not even have to know anything. All this is just to benefit progressive yahoo's and to shove off people that actually do not care about that. SWJ's and the gay lobby are trying to take over every area of society as a Christian this makes me angry and very depressed, why do the (SJW and the like) have to have everything political and to get rid of sane people. Honestly sanity has left the world replaced by feel goodness

• Agree
Reactions: Newtheran
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It does mention that merit does not matter that one does not even have to know anything. All this is just to benefit progressive yahoo's and to shove off people that actually do not care about that. SWJ's and the gay lobby are trying to take over every area of society as a Christian this makes me angry and very depressed, why do the (SJW and the like) have to have everything political and to get rid of sane people. Honestly sanity has left the world replaced by feel goodness
Please point out this statement in the Code. I don't think you'll find it. code-of-conduct.rst\process\Documentation - kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git - Linux kernel source tree

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just use Linux. I don't see where the politics come into the picture.
I really don't care what the political leanings are of those who produce what I use for free.
Now if it changes where there political leanings work there way into the distro I use, I will switch distros.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The article contains no quotes from the Code of Conduct. It has some conspiracy theory about Theodore T'sao being ejected. To my knowledge Theodore T'sao hasn't actually been reported to the TAB, because he hasn't harassed anyone in a relevant way. The policy doesn't allow actions against someone because you don't like their politics or their views. Sage Sharp's views about Theo are irrelevant to the Code of Conduct.

Here's Theo's own attempt to calm things down: Re: Code of Conduct: Let's revamp it. - Theodore Y. Ts'o

• Informative
Reactions: sfs
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.