Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So brethren, I am late with what I meant to post last Monday, the 17th of Feb. My work often keeps me very busy and sometimes I do not have time to write everything which I desire. But A little after Presidents day, the same month as Lincoln's Birthday, I thought of some interesting thoughts about our 16th president, the leader of a nation in the most trying of times.

What Came to my attention first was the quote made by Lincoln
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" He was asked this in regards to a recent victory and subsequent appointment of a former rival to a cabinet position

The idea behind it is an example of forgiveness at work. When one has a rival, an enemy, and one forgives that enemy, bonding a friendship then one no longer has an enemy.
It is a novel idea, but it had been around at least 1860 years or so before Lincoln. Jesus spoke of it, saying
"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

The Father, in His perfection, is Love incarnate. Jesus gives an example of how to attain this love by praying for those who persecute you. Lincoln took it to a level of illustrating how to express this command.

To go deeper, we must learn to dwell with compassion and love, mindfulness and focus, becoming a beacon of Light, a living expression of God's Love to all those around us. We cannot just teach it; we have to practice it, exemplify it, and Live It. We have to become living examples of Christ's love not through works, but by our very essence of being. And we must spread this to everyone. The results, will, as Christ new, and as Lincoln showed, most successful and through Christ, the Living embodiment of pure Love and Light, all things are possible.

Amen