• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Limited atonement obsession: How can I know I was one of those for whom Christ died?

Ribosome

Jun 7, 2010
US
✟15,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
This one has been tormenting me a lot lately.

Since Christ died for the elect, now can I be sure I was one of those for whom he died?

When I get attacked with thoughts like "you are a terrible christian, you don't live like a good christian should," I need a backbone to believe that Christ died for me, and settled my salvation so I am safe and secure. This security then drives me to joy and good works out of gratitude to God.

But with limited atonement, I dunno how to get that backbone. How can I be sure that Christ did in fact die for me, that I was one of the elect for whom he died?

I asked this question in the reformed forum, but they assumed I was trying to save myself. I don't want to save myself at all. The OCD fear that gets triggered by limited atonement for me is "What if I have to DO SOMETHING in order to become one of the elect?" It's the fear that I have to do good works in order to be saved. This causes a lot of fear because I know I can't do any good works, and even if I did all of them, it would not be enough.

I don't want to do good works to save myself, I just need to be assured that Christ really did die for me, and if I knew that, I'd gladly believe this news.

Last edited:

KAL93

Feb 11, 2013
✟7,624.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Christ died for ALL of our sins. Anyone who is willing to accept him into their heart is saved. He didn't say only so and so will be saved. He said whoever believes will have everlasting life. Now, I've been confused by this to because he also says, many will try and enter heaven but, few will get in because they don't really know Christ. In my opinion he's speaking of those people who just claim they're Christian yet go out into the world and knowingly sin and do opposite of what god wants knowing that its not right. Those people don't REALLY know who Christ is or else they would have a desire to do good and live their lives as close to Christ's as possible. But that's just my opinion. Really pray about it and ask god to put you at ease with your feelings and ask him to convict you and humble you when you need it so you may live as pure a life as possible. God bless you, hope I was able to help a bit!

Upvote 0

KAL93

Feb 11, 2013
✟7,624.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Another thing, I believe Jesus was referring to those who do their good works in order to look good to men, not him. If someone comes to you asking for help when nobody else is around or would know an you turn him away but in the same situation would take him in if others saw then I believe that is doing works for men and not because we're tryin to live as scripturaly as possible on this earth!

Upvote 0

tripletiger1200

Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound
Jun 23, 2011
✟8,151.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was a five point calvinist at one point, now I am not sure where I stand on some of the points, such as limited atonement. I also struggled and sometimes still struggle with the issue. One argument that works for me is to realize that the Bible says if you believe in Jesus you are saved. It does not ever say that if you believe in Jesus you might not be saved because his atonement may not apply to you. So if the concept of limited atonement is true, if you believe in Jesus it certainly does apply to you, otherwise John 3:16 would be false.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
K

kaykay9.0

I have never felt the calvinist view of limited atonement was accurate because it conflicts with too many verses of scripture. They have to twist the scripture to "make their doctrine fit" in my opinion. For example 1 Timothy 2:4 states that the Lord wants ALL to be saved and come to repentance. This doctrine just doesnt fit with "the whole counsel" of scripture.

Upvote 0

HopefulDays

Jan 19, 2013
✟7,675.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I can't really add much more to what the insightful members above have already said, but I can definitely tell you that I can relate. Calvinism whacked out my OCD more than anything else, especially its scary and confusing doctrines like limited atonement.

From my experience, it seems that God is both fully responsible for our salvation, while we still have 100% free will to turn to Him.

I suggest you read the article, "Secure Forever," written by Billy Graham. Very comforting!

May you find peace in Christ and complete freedom from your OCD!

~HopefulDays

Upvote 0

Ribosome

Jun 7, 2010
US
✟15,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I can't give up Calvinism because I am very convinced by it. I cannot believe in something that I am convinced is not true.

However, I found and answer to my question from Spurgeons sermon. This is what he said:

I pause once more; for I hear some timid soul say—"But, sir, I am afraid I am not elect, and if so, Christ did not die for me." Stop sir! Are you a sinner? Do you feel it? Has God, the Holy Spirit, made you feel that you are a lost sinner? Do you want salvation? If you do not want it it is no hardship that it is not provided for you; but if you really feel that you want it, you are God's elect. If you have a desire to be saved, a desire given you by the Holy Spirit, that desire is a token for good. If you have begun believingly to pray for salvation, you have therein a sure evidence that you are saved. Christ was punished for you. And if now you can say, ‘Nothing in my hands I bring, simply to the cross I cling,’ you may be as sure you are God's elect as you are sure of your own existence; for this is the infallible proof of election—a sense of need and a thirst after Christ. -The Death of Christ: Spurgeon's Sermons: Volume 4: #173

This might help me a bit, but reassurance doesn't often work.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
^^^^I like that Spurgeon quote, in reality here on earth there really is no way for us to know who is elect or not, but we can know it for ourselves...if we have a desire to be saved than we are of the elect...Jesus said "all who come to me I will in no wise cast out." He also said that "no one can come to me unless the Father draws him." So we can rest assured that if we are being drawn we are elect.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2010
✟8,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I can't give up Calvinism because I am very convinced by it. I cannot believe in something that I am convinced is not true.

However, I found and answer to my question from Spurgeons sermon. This is what he said:

This might help me a bit, but reassurance doesn't often work.

That is a beautifull quote granturissimus, and don't forget that spurgeon suffered from scrupulosity also, and he eventually overcame it. It's good to have a role model like to look up to, especially considering that he also went through it too, and u have something to look forward to since he made it through.
god bless you my friend
Praying for you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kodadog1024

Aug 17, 2011
✟10,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This one has been tormenting me a lot lately.

Since Christ died for the elect, now can I be sure I was one of those for whom he died?

When I get attacked with thoughts like "you are a terrible christian, you don't live like a good christian should," I need a backbone to believe that Christ died for me, and settled my salvation so I am safe and secure. This security then drives me to joy and good works out of gratitude to God.

But with limited atonement, I dunno how to get that backbone. How can I be sure that Christ did in fact die for me, that I was one of the elect for whom he died?

I asked this question in the reformed forum, but they assumed I was trying to save myself. I don't want to save myself at all. The OCD fear that gets triggered by limited atonement for me is "What if I have to DO SOMETHING in order to become one of the elect?" It's the fear that I have to do good works in order to be saved. This causes a lot of fear because I know I can't do any good works, and even if I did all of them, it would not be enough.

I don't want to do good works to save myself, I just need to be assured that Christ really did die for me, and if I knew that, I'd gladly believe this news.

There is nothing, no good works on the face of this planet that will ever get anyone into Heaven. Ever. This price has been paid in full by the death of Jesus Christ. The vale has been torn in two, so that we may now come to God through Jesus, repent and KNOW 1000% that we are forgiven, but ONLY through His son. It's all about Christ, not our good works.

Upvote 0