Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of the simplest arguments for an earth much older than a few thousand years comes from starlight. Light travels outward from its source at a large but finite rate - 186,000 miles per second, or about 6 trillion miles per year. In fact, astronomers define a distance unit, the light-year, as how far light travels in one year.

THE ARGUMENT

If the earth were only a few thousand years old, we would expect to see no objects more distant than a few thousand light-years away. But, as a matter of fact, we do see objects much further away than this. Most of the stars in our Milky Way galaxy are further, up to nearly 100,000 light-years away. The nearest large galaxy beyond our Milky Way is the Andromeda Galaxy, about 2 million light-years distant. The furthest galaxies we see are several billion light-years from us. And the most distant objects which we can observe, called quasars, range up to 10 billion light-years away (Pasachoff, 1989, chs 5 & 15). Thus the universe is most naturally understood to be greater than 10 billion years old.

This argument depends on several assumptions which we need to consider in order to have some feeling for how compelling the argument is. There are three such assumptions we should consider. Each is a very natural assumption, but it is possible that one or more of these is mistaken. Let us look at each in turn.

See the following to access the complete article: http://www.ibri.org/Tracts/lttmetct.htm

Equating the above factors to the Bible, there is credence to an unspecified amount of time between Gen.1:1-2 and verse 3 NIV: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."

Unspecified time between verses 1 and 2 - and there is nothing more found in the following six day creation narrative revealing when the creation of the heavens and earth took place in verses 1-2 - [10 million years? 4 billion years? What difference does it make since God created it all, regardless of the time involved ? - and:

"God said, " let there be light"....day one of Gen.1:3. That is not all, the sun, moon and stars did not appear until on day 4: "And God said, 'Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night and let them serve as signs to mark the seasons and days and years...'"

From the above Scriptures it appears as though the earth was created before the sun, moon and the stars. Or are we unable to see the recovery from major cataclysmic events, with a restoration of the original , by clearing away the results of dense smoke from meteor strikes, enormous volcanic action and global flooding? The term "created" or "create" is not seen after Gen.1:1 again until the 5th and 6th days, when God created the fish and fowl on day 5 and the animals and Adam on the 6th day.

More evidence is found in Pr.8:23-24 NIV: "I was appointed from eternity, from the beginning before the world began. When there were no oceans, I was given birth, when there were no springs abounding with water;" But you will recall in Gen.1:2, the earth was standing in the first global flood [Not the second flood of Noah]. Confirmed by David in Ps.24:2 and Peter in 2 Pet.3:5.

Therefore the evidence is strong that we live on a very old earth that could not possible be only 6,000 years old.

See the following: [Sorry, it is no longer online]

Quasar92

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Therefore the evidence is strong that we live on a very old earth that could not possible be only 6,000 years old.

Unfortunately, it is not proven fact that light speed is what it is, always. Also, it is not proven that the distances are really what they say they are. But if one believes those things, then it is true logically that world would be older, unless it is created so that it looks older than it is.

I believe what the Bible tells, but I don’t know the age of universe. For example, what was the day length before sun? I don’t know.

Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, it is not proven fact that light speed is what it is, always. Also, it is not proven that the distances are really what they say they are. But if one believes those things, then it is true logically that world would be older, unless it is created so that it looks older than it is.

I believe what the Bible tells, but I don’t know the age of universe. For example, what was the day length before sun? I don’t know.

Since the theory of relativity established by Albert Einstein, the speed of light has been firmly established. The time it takes from the distance of the stars and other objects in the heavens in light years, is solid evidence of earth age. See the following:

The speed of light in a vacuum is 186,282 miles per second (299,792 kilometers per second), and in theory nothing can travel faster than light. In miles per hour, light speed is, well, a lot: about 670,616,629 mph. If you could travel at the speed of light, you could go around the Earth 7.5 times in one second.
Early scientists, unable to perceive light’s motion, thought it must travel instantaneously. Over time, however, measurements of the motion of these wave-like particles became more and more precise. Thanks to the work of Albert Einstein and others, we now understand light speed to be a theoretical limit: light speed — a constant called "c" — is thought to be not acheivable by anything with mass, for reasons explained below. That doesn’t stop sci-fi writers, and even some very serious scientists, from imagining alternative theories that would allow for some awfully fast trips around the universe.

Source: https://www.space.com/15830-light-speed.html

Quasar92

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"God said, " let there be light"....day one of Gen.1:3. That is not all, the sun, moon and stars did not appear until on day 4: "And God said, 'Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night and let them serve as signs to mark the seasons and days and years...'"

Quasar92

There are always perspectives that can make it go two ways. Here is one.
He said "let there be" but if they were already created in Gen 1:1, then what happened here could be that he simply cleared the atmosphere so that the sun and moon were visible.
I am not dogmatic, but tend to think the "gap" theory may be closer to truth than most suspect.

Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are always perspectives that can make it go two ways. Here is one.
He said "let there be" but if they were already created in Gen 1:1, then what happened here could be that he simply cleared the atmosphere so that the sun and moon were visible.
I am not dogmatic, but tend to think the "gap" theory may be closer to truth than most suspect.

That is an accurate assessment of the facts. It is likely, there was great volcanic ash as well as dust debris from meteor strikes God had to clear rom the atmosphere before the sun, moon and stars could be seen again/restored.

Quasar92

Last edited:
Reactions: Shempster
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since the theory of relativity established by Albert Einstein, the speed of light has been firmly established.

I know most people believe so and accept that as a truth. And if it is true, it doesn’t mean we know the age of our planet. Speed is distance divided by time. It is possible that we don’t really know the distances accurately. They are relative.

The speed of light in a vacuum is 186,282 miles per second (299,792 kilometers per second), and in theory nothing can travel faster than light. In miles per hour, light speed is, well, a lot: about 670,616,629 mph. If you could travel at the speed of light, you could go around the Earth 7.5 times in one second.

Early scientists, unable to perceive light’s motion, thought it must travel instantaneously. Over time, however, measurements of the motion of these wave-like particles became more and more precise. Thanks to the work of Albert Einstein and others, we now understand light speed to be a theoretical limit: light speed — a constant called "c" — is thought to be not acheivable by anything with mass, for reasons explained below.

That leads to interesting ideas, if we also believe that the universe is about 14 billion years old as the Wikipedia says. Age of the universe - Wikipedia

That would mean that the diameter of universe would be max 28 billion light years. I just wonder where is the edge of universe and how close it is from the earth.

Upvote 0