✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
lol..I cant help it if we agree!:D

I am not sure,but I was under the impression that they had the gospels,and letters widely circulated amongst the churches even before canonization.
They may have, I'm not sure just how wide spread they were but I do know that individuals could not sit down every day and read from them. I'm more than sure that they were kept in the hands of select few who would perserve them.

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually I'd imagine it must have been a lonely lifestyle at times.
Must have been interesting for the saints to read Pauls writings.

There was alot of new revelation to take in,and trust.:)

It was new,where we here in America when we got saved we just presumed total trust in the bible,if you know what I mean.

To them it was the man who was previously killing Chrisitians.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Must have been interesting for the saints to read Pauls writings.

There was alot of new revelation to take in,and trust.:)

It was new,where we here in America when we got saved we just presumed total trust in the bible,if you know what I mean.

To them it was the man who was previously killing Chrisitians.
True but it was all news to me too when I first sat down and read them for myself. ;)

Course, I also didn't believe Paul was a man who would be knocking on my front door to tie me up and hall me back to Jerusalem for prison stay or execution. And then again, the people at the time Paul wrote those epistles did not see Paul in that way either. He was the one who delivered the message in person first.

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
True but it was all news to me too when I first sat down and read them for myself. ;)
come on now dude..:D

you approached the bible with much,much more of a trust,then those who were in that transitional time for sure.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
come on now dude..:D

you approached the bible with much,much more of a trust,then those who were in that transitional time for sure.
Don't be too sure about that pinetree. It took me a long time to be able to trust everything that Paul said. I still have problems with some of it.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
what parts?:)
Long hair on men is a disgrace

The part about women keeping quite in church and only men being pastors

There's more, just can't think of any more right now.

Upvote 0

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that with or without the Bible, God still reaches those He wishes to reach. I cannot accept that the God I serve can be limited to the space between the covers of a book.

The biggest problem is that we think that the Bible is the primary way God dispenses knowledge about Himself. It's not.

The Holy Spirit is the primary teacher now. Jesus is the subject matter. There are cultures throught the world who have had God revealed to them outside of the Bible, even in recent years.

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Why do my instincts :cool:tell me that there are deeper things you wonder about,more than cultural bias(possibly) conveyed through Paul.?;):)

Upvote 0

AudioArtist

AudioArtist
Jul 8, 2003
London
✟5,287.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged

Yeah. I've never understood those parts. Also, I've never understood why Paul seems to dislike marriage quite so much. The impression I get is that men should only really marry if they really can't help themselves and can't keep pure.

Having said that, there are some beautiful passages in Paul's epistles.

pinetree, you raise a very interesting point. I wish people who are so keen to box God up would remember that those that penned the Bible were hearing things in the Spirit (or from the Spirit) for the very first time! The Bible lays down principles God will follow, but does not encompass all He will ever do or all the ways people will ever react to Him. Sure, folk come up with all sorts of complex theology to refute this point, but the simple fact is, what God was doing was fresh then, and He can do a new thing today - it won't contradict His principles and His nature, but He is God and can do what He wants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that with or without the Bible, God still reaches those He wishes to reach. I cannot accept that the God I serve can be limited to the space between the covers of a book.

The biggest problem is that we think that the Bible is the primary way God dispenses knowledge about Himself. It's not.

The Holy Spirit is the primary teacher now. Jesus is the subject matter. There are cultures throught the world who have had God revealed to them outside of the Bible, even in recent years.

John 16:13
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

1 John 2:27
As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

Good point after all,the Spirit wrote the scriptures.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why do my instincts :cool:tell me that there are deeper things you wonder about,more than cultural bias(possibly) conveyed through Paul.?;):)
Because I understand the basics of Pauls message. Some to every detail while others vaguely.

Ok, here's another:

1 Corinthians 10:14-33, Paul is teaching on the Lord's super. As an ex-catholic I have rejected the belief in the eucharist ritual but I don't understand what Paul is saying here. I basically completely ignor it now because I have no idea.

Upvote 0

Soul_Golem

Sentient Believer
Jun 22, 2005
Cincinnati
✟15,364.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Well, one could say that before the Bible was translated into various languages, we did have life without the Bible.

What happened then?

The churches exploited people's fear and ignorance.

So, now that we can all read it, that is a good thing.

Reactions: nephilimiyr
Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because I understand the basics of Pauls message. Some to every detail while others vaguely.

Ok, here's another:

1 Corinthians 10:14-33, Paul is teaching on the Lord's super. As an ex-catholic I have rejected the belief in the eucharist ritual but I don't understand what Paul is saying here. I basically completely ignor it now because I have no idea.
I just read it..yes,I undersatand your point.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, one could say that before the Bible was translated into various languages, we did have life without the Bible.

What happened then?

Yep! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

What happened then?

I am glad we have it too.:)

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah. I've never understood those parts. Also, I've never understood why Paul seems to dislike marriage quite so much. The impression I get is that men should only really marry if they really can't help themselves and can't keep pure.

pinetree, you raise a very interesting point. I wish people who are so keen to box God up would remember that those that penned the Bible were hearing things in the Spirit (or from the Spirit) for the very first time! The Bible lays down principles God will follow, but does not encompass all He will ever do or all the ways people will ever react to Him. Sure, folk come up with all sorts of complex theology to refute this point, but the simple fact is, what God was doing was fresh then, and He can do a new thing today - it won't contradict His principles and His nature, but He is God and can do what He wants.
Hi bro..:wave:

Yes.
Hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

1 John 2:20
But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

The very book says it is not all in the book.

John 21:25
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that would be written.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The problem is, Paul then never warned us that even after marriage we men will still have a hard time keeping pure....OPPS!!!

No doubt!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.