Life elsewhere

Does life exist outside our own planet?

• Undoubtedly! Intelligent life? Probably.

• Undoubtedly! Intelligent life? possibly.

• Probably

• Probably not.

• No. Life only exists here on earth.

• I am a troll. Consider this vote my contribution to the thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly we often discuss evolution here, but seldom this related question. Has life come to be in other places? The more I learn the less I think we're alone. That is to say, I do not think we are or have ever been visited by space aliens, but I think life - as a process - must surely have come to exist on other celestial bodies, possibly even in our own solar system.

By life I do of course not mean intelligence. We tend to be all too self-centered I think, and our own brief existence in the grand scheme of things means I would not be surprised if we will never spot sign of other intelligent species out there during our existence as an intelligent species. I think it likely that others exist, but they are probably too far away.

Life, in all it's complexity though... I myself think it exists. I've included a poll to gauge the perception of this here. If you intend to troll the post, I have even included an option for you. Please select that and refrain from posting a post. All others: What do you think?

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Interestingly we often discuss evolution here, but seldom this related question. Has life come to be in other places? The more I learn the less I think we're alone. That is to say, I do not think we are or have ever been visited by space aliens, but I think life - as a process - must surely have come to exist on other celestial bodies, possibly even in our own solar system.

You're not alone in that belief. :) I'm not sure about about other life in our solar system, but it's possible. In fact the early design aspects of the missions that are planned to Europa include equipment that is designed to search for life. I think the more I've learned about science, and the more I've seen life adapt to really HARSH conditions on Earth, the more I'm convinced that the physical universe is full of living organisms. The question in my mind is how many of the the life bearing bodies in space produce life forms that are "Space fairing" and use equipment as we do? I don't know. Life evidently existed on Earth for BILLIONS of years without producing "humans" as we understand them today.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
We've actually taken life from earth so we know for a fact life exists outside of our planet ;)

True, true. I suppose I should have used the word 'originated' in there. I am discounting panspermia of course. Though possible, at least in theory, I would consider roughly four billion years enough to qualify as `from earth' even if it came riding in on a chunk of rock from elsewhere at that point...

Upvote 0

Lion Hearted Man

Eternal Newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
✟11,179.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Judging by how resilient life is on this planet, I have no reason to assume it's any less resilient anywhere else. Life finds a way. Who knows what other survival strategies are out there that we wouldn't be able to comprehend...it must be magical out there. How lucky we are to even contemplate such wonder.

My regret in living my life in this era is that I likely will not see extraterrestrial life or venture far from this planet. So sad.

Upvote 0

Thobewill

Cthulu For President 2012
Apr 27, 2011
✟15,593.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
My regret in living my life in this era is that I likely will not see extraterrestrial life or venture far from this planet. So sad.

I sometimes think that, but I realize that this era is one of frontiers and firsts. I do not want to live in an era where space flight is taken for-granted. I want to appreciate the wonder that it is. I want to be on the edge of discovery rather than to interact with the strange on a day-to-day basis, to the point where it becomes normal.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Judging by how resilient life is on this planet, I have no reason to assume it's any less resilient anywhere else. Life finds a way. Who knows what other survival strategies are out there that we wouldn't be able to comprehend...it must be magical out there. How lucky we are to even contemplate such wonder.

Every time I think that Star Trek won't be reality I end up feeling sad. I want warp speeds and exploration vessels.

Then again, I really really do not want the Borg around... :-/

Upvote 0

DaneaFL

Apr 20, 2012
Deep in the bible belt.
✟732.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well since life is made of the most common elements in the universe and given how much we are learning about how life could begin chemically, i think it would be very unlikely that life doesnt exist all over the universe..

I also think it's likely that any extraterrestrial life is probably going to made of carbon and similar stuff like we are since carbon is so good at making organic molecules and it's so abundant in the universe.

As far as intelligent life, i think any species intelligent enough to get all the way to us is probably too intelligent to want to even talk to us.

Our only hope in the near future of seeing intelligent life is for a generous and curious alien species to decide to come over here and attempt to communicate..

...and hopefully they wont just see us as other animals and try to eat us or something...

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Well since life is made of the most common elements in the universe and given how much we are learning about how life could begin chemically, i think it would be very unlikely that life doesnt exist all over the universe..

As far as intelligent life, i think any species intelligent enough to get all the way to us is probably too intelligent to want to even talk to us.

Our only hope in the near future of seeing intelligent life is for a generou and curious alien species to decide to come overe here and attempt to communicate..

...and hopefully they wont just see us as other animals and try to eat us or something...

One gets the impression that a truly "intelligent" race would would take one look at our movies and TV programs on their way to Earth, note the fact that we KILL one another for utterly RIDICULOUS reasons, and they would turn around before they even got here and go home. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaneaFL

Apr 20, 2012
Deep in the bible belt.
✟732.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One gets the impression that a truly "intelligent" race would would take one look at our movies and TV programs on their way to Earth, note the fact that we KILL one another for utterly RIDICULOUS reasons, and they would turn around before they even got here and go home. :)

Yep, they would see that we are still a primitive, superstitious species who still builds monuments to sky spirits and worships a blood sacrificed deity. They would see that we are willing to KILL each other over our silly supernatural beliefs. They would see that we still believe in ghosts, demons, afterlifes, and that we are still afraid of anything we don't understand like how our ancestors were startled by their own shadows on the cave wall when they first discovered fire.

They would probably just pass us by... At least until we grew out of our tribalistic spirit worship.

Our only hope of seeing intelligent life in the near future is for a generous and curious alien race to come down here with the will and ability to communicate with us... and hopefully they don't just take one look at our churches and mosques and think we are just another primitive animal species and then try to eat us...

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yep, they would see that we are still a primitive, superstitious species who still builds monuments to sky spirits and worships a blood sacrificed deity. They would see that we are willing to KILL each other over our silly supernatural beliefs. They would see that we still believe in ghosts, demons, afterlifes, and that we are still afraid of anything we don't understand like how our ancestors were startled by their own shadows on the cave wall when they first discovered fire.

They would probably just pass us by... At least until we grew out of our tribalistic spirit worship.

Our only hope of seeing intelligent life in the near future is for a generous and curious alien race to come down here with the will and ability to communicate with us... and hopefully they don't just take one look at our churches and mosques and think we are just another primitive animal species and then try to eat us...

Assuming religion equals undeveloped. They could be religious themselves. Nah, I think religion is alright. What's not alright is fanaticism. Sadly we see quite a bit of that on here, and around the world. Whenever someone kills someone else it's usually fanaticism. About one's religious views, one's nationality, race, gender, or whatever else one might think about.

If enough people got crazy enough about teletubbies, people would kill in the name of Tinky-Winky. I have no doubt. And that, to me, is where our immaturity as a species lies. In the fanaticism.

Upvote 0

Lion Hearted Man

Eternal Newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
✟11,179.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged

Our penchant violence comes from our evolutionary history. Another race that evolved to the level that we did would likely also have that dark side, and would probably be sympathetic to our struggles. Unless they wanted to turn us into starship fuel or feed us to their young. In that case, they wouldn't care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upon what do you base that?

No absolute proof, just educated opinions. Bring me a plant or animal or even some slime and I will amend my view.

Please don't post any hazy planet pics plez...show me a human being with an alien life form in his/her hand.

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I will say this though, when evolution is revealed for the lie that it is, atheists will quickly jump on the "aliens are the intelligent being that brought life to earth" bus...which is sad.

All these "evolution verses creation" threads will become "alien or God" threads...and will have the same amount of absolute evidence...none.

Upvote 0

Elendur

Gamer and mathematician
Feb 27, 2012
Sweden - Umeå
✟17,952.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
No absolute proof, just educated opinions. Bring me a plant or animal or even some slime and I will amend my view.

Please don't post any hazy planet pics plez...show me a human being with an alien life form in his/her hand.
You've said it definitely doesn't exist life outside earth.
I don't think your opinion is educated, because then you would be careful to speak in definitive terms. Especially when the universe is as vast as it is.

I will say this though, when evolution is revealed for the lie that it is, atheists will quickly jump on the "aliens are the intelligent being that brought life to earth" bus...which is sad.

All these "evolution verses creation" threads will become "alien or God" threads...and will have the same amount of absolute evidence...none.
You've already decided what's true and what's not, you've got no need to write here then.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

You do realize that most life is monocellular, right? That is, single cells. Also, that life exists in the deepest darkest depths of the oceans, in volcano calderas, hot springs at up to 122 degrees centigrade - well above normal boiling temperatures, several miles up in the air, in the reactor of Tjernobyl... Life is everywhere on this earth, so why not elsewhere? In fact, just to create a little perspective which most people are not aware of; Provided you are healthy there are about ten bacteria in your body for every human cell. Deviate too much from that - either way, more or less than that, and you might very well not survive. Life is not what most people think of it as. It is far far more.

I know quite a few believers think we're it, this planet is all. But, is there any support for that?

You later post concerning evolution that you think it a lie. Well, why do we not see anything countering it? Why do we use it actively in many applications? If it was a lie shouldn't... Well, you know, it be wrong - not right? Shouldn't experiments prove it wrong, not prove it right? If it is a lie, why do we see it, use it and upon occasion despair as it makes pathogenic organisms resistant to yet another drug? You should be careful to use the word lie about things like this, mister. The same word was used when the earth's assumed position in the universe - dead center - was challenged. It was used about many many other things as well. Just a friendly word of caution; You're human, we all are. So, tread carefully. You might well be working against the God you wish to serve.

I would like to challenge you, hence. You say your opinion is an educated one. Why do you say that? You made a very definite claim - that there is definitely no life outside the earth. You also said that evolution will be revealed as a lie. Now... Why would you claim to have an educated opinion and then blurt out two so definite and absolute claims for which, frankly, it appears you have no basis? Isn't it... Just your opinion, not your educated opinion?

Last edited:
Upvote 0