Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Without trying to promote my beliefs, I will say I still believe in God/Jesus and the beliefs regarding salvation - but I no longer consider the Bible of great importance other than to deliver said message. I'm also very careful of my beliefs. To me, this basically makes me Agnostic - and I am one now for other reasons as well.

Here is what I now believe. I once met someone who said that everything was an infinite. Well I say, everything is a Paradox.

My emotions have really been getting the best of me lately. The best I have ever felt, is when I numbed them out. I couldn't think of a theological justification of this as a Christian, but I might think of some reasoning as an Agnostic.

Also, the Old Testament God was, respectfully, pretty dark. I kind of believe respectfully, He is dark even today. That you can find him in light, but also in darkness.

As you can see... now I am just believing whatever I want to beieve.

-What is wrong with thinking of everything as a paradox?

-Is there a theological justification for a purposeful lack of emotion?

-How would you refute my idea that God the Father is both light and dark?

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think thinking every thing is a paradox is far off the mark.

But, being numb is not ideal- not what God intended.

I think we have to define light and dark as God defined light and dark. This might help in knowing why the Bible can say in Him there is no darkness.

Upvote 0

SLB

Mar 5, 2017
Canada
✟16,987.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I can see why someone might say God is both Light and Dark, although scripture clearly portrays him as Light, since you only have to look at Jesus claim to be the Light of the world. However, God is both Saviour and Judge. In His aspect as Saviour he can be termed as Light, but as Judge, some people might find Him dark.

Looking around for excuses not to believe, often means that we are trying to excuse our sin. If we negate sin, then we have no need of a Saviour. In a search for Paradox, is it really just a search for justification to sin?

I'm not trying to be judgemental, I sincerely want to know.

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Without trying to promote my beliefs, I will say I still believe in God/Jesus and the beliefs regarding salvation - but I no longer consider the Bible of great importance other than to deliver said message. I'm also very careful of my beliefs. To me, this basically makes me Agnostic - and I am one now for other reasons as well.

Here is what I now believe. I once met someone who said that everything was an infinite. Well I say, everything is a Paradox.

My emotions have really been getting the best of me lately. The best I have ever felt, is when I numbed them out. I couldn't think of a theological justification of this as a Christian, but I might think of some reasoning as an Agnostic.

Also, the Old Testament God was, respectfully, pretty dark. I kind of believe respectfully, He is dark even today. That you can find him in light, but also in darkness.

You seem to disbelieve anything that you do not understand fully... I have encountered a lot of atheists like that.. They will believe nothing untill they have everything revealed to them.. Unfortunatly The God of Abraham never works like that.. There is always a portion of God humans never understand or know about and this is why all Christians need a certain amount of Faith in their relationship with God.. Some know more and thus need less Faith others know only the basics and so they need a lot more Faith.. But no human knows everything so all Christians need some Faith.. People who do not have the capacity to hold Faith cannot be Christians..

God is light and there is no darkness in him.. The darkness we have in the universe just shows a lack of Light in that area.. Darkness is the lack of Light... it is not an alternate substance opposed to Light.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

1 John 1:5

“This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.”

King James Version (KJV)

God isn't batman he's peace,joy, love god bless man keep seeking.

• Agree
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I would need a baseline, I would ask you first why do you believe that he is both light and dark?

Even the Bible is light and dark - the light is the New Testament, and the darkness is most of the Old Testament, or Ecclesiastes (sp?).

But what I'd say is that the God of the Old Testament was very stern, and I'm not sure God changes. Much like Solomon was very wise and used philosophy in Ecclesiastes (sp?), you can find God in the darkness of philosophy, much like you can the light of Scripture. Such is the nature of a paradox.

Upvote 0

Dawnhammer

Mar 5, 2017
Denmark
✟23,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will say I still believe in God/Jesus and the beliefs regarding salvation

Then you are not agnostic. Didn't you just made a point in other thread that people too easily made broad simple claims like "everything is paradox"

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Then you are not agnostic. Didn't you just made a point in other thread that people too easily made broad simple claims like "everything is paradox"

I'd still say I'm Agnostic. I don't care to explain the additional reasons why I think I am.

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even the Bible is light and dark - the light is the New Testament, and the darkness is most of the Old Testament, or Ecclesiastes (sp?).

But what I'd say is that the God of the Old Testament was very stern, and I'm not sure God changes. Much like Solomon was very wise and used philosophy in Ecclesiastes (sp?), you can find God in the darkness of philosophy, much like you can the light of Scripture. Such is the nature of a paradox.

God is Just, that does not mean he is dark. Because God is Just and there is no paradox in him or the Bible, every sin will be accounted for, God can not change this, but He could pay the price for that sin himself. We know it as the cross, He made heaven open for anyone that accepts Jesus Christ as Lord and Saver.

Mankind has sin and we justly deserve Hell, but we are saved by His grace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SLB

Mar 5, 2017
Canada
✟16,987.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
But what I'd say is that the God of the Old Testament was very stern, and I'm not sure God changes.

That's true that God doesn't change. You are right that there are places in the Old Testament where God is stern, but that is generally where he is seen as Judge. There are other places, like Ezekial 14:1-8 where God shows that in spite of our sinfulness He loves us and cares for us. All the way through the Bible you can see the threads of God's love for us braided together with His righteousness and holiness. On the one hand is love and the other hand is justice.

You wouldn't like it if people who did heinous things, like pedophiles, who prey on children, don't at some point get their just deserts, so God's justice is an essential part of His character. That may make Him stern, but you wouldn't want Him to be any other way.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Belief in God being a paradox,is a Calvinist perspective.
No disrespect to Calvinist.
They believe than man or woman was created to be predestinate to Heaven or Hell.
This places the God of love as a God who purposed someone to Hell at his pleasure.
This would be a dark thing when you consider how cruel this would be.
Free Will surpasses the idea of God being a paradox of light and dark.
Satan chose to rebel against God and man has chosen to follow either God or Satan but cannot serve both good and evil.
There can only be 2 choices light or dark no grey area in Christ.
God's will is Mankind choose life,for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

If we study Ecclesiastes (the Preacher) we have the words of Solomon.
Yes they can be dark ,but keep in mind that Solomon made a choice to disobey God and was removed from the throne of Isreal.
There is much wisdom in Solomons teaching ,it is very deep in knowlage of human nature.
Solomon was the wisest man who ever lived yet he made a bad choice.
We have a better choice in the new Testament, We have a atonement for our sins by Christ.
God forgave Solomon, like his father before him and all mankind he has offered forgiveness to.
Truly God is love.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

I would say that I agree with the Springfield Union.

What a pity it is that so much youth is wasted on young people, who don’t know by experience how to make the best use of it.—Springfield Union.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Isa 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

I LIKE paradox, and I am the hardest hawd-coah Arminian there is.

It is only logical that the God of all creation would create all things including good and evil.
If God did not create satan for example ,then who or what did?
We still have a choice of free will.
Does God for know our choices or does he choose set aside his omniscient nature?

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 45:7 and 1 John 1:5

I choose to say there is a paradox -- I choose it of my own free will.

(a paradox is a SEEMING contradiction)

By definition of Dictionary.com a paradox is:

a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictoryor absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.
a self-contradictory and false proposition.
any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparentlycontradictory nature.

To define God as a paradoxical being ,is contrary to his Word.

1 Corinthians: 14. 33. For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hey bro. It sounds like this might be your first experience adventuring away from being a Christian. Quite a lot of people do this and then come back like the prodigal son. Some people end up so far away, they seem to never come back. I do have advice for you, because I would have wished to have received this advice too: that it is common to fall under the influence of unrighteous Christians (who are actually of demonic and not holy spirit), and while having a lack of Holy Spirit influence, then we become disillusioned and misled - leading to a breakdown in our faith.

When you consider Ecclesiastes 4:9-12, Galatians 5:7-9 and 1 Corinthians 15:33, it is apparent the importance to choose good company.

God's law is eternal, righteous and holy. It does not mean that everyone who handles the authority of His name is acting with holy intentions. This has been an ongoing issue throughout the whole of history where God's law has been an interest in The Kingdom of God as operated by fallen humans.

Christianity (as exercised in Holy Spirit) has introduced a very remarkable difference: Hebrews 7:24-25. We actually have a high priest who has been tested and found perfectly faithful to God. What's more is that Hebrews 10:26-31 describes how our reverence for His blood causes us to hate sin like never before, and in this way, Hebrews 10:14 states that we have been made perfect according to God's law by this means. By our perfect obedience - we always choose to repent, then we always have vindication according to God's law.

When you consider the example in 1 Kings 13:15-24, I don't mean to suggest that this sort of power to curse doesn't still exist (Romans 12:14, Acts 5:3-6). Rather, I suggest you can think about the situation we have in The Kingdom of God in Jesus' name today: that the majority of Christians have taken a broad road leading to destruction - and what does this mean to imply? That they are not representing The Holy Spirit because they have at some point in their faith, rejected the word of truth that convicts them. They are those who refuse to go near the light for fear their deeds will be exposed. They remove innocent ones from their congregations because of the conviction of their innocent words of righteousness.

Yet, it is not that God is powerless to bring them to repentance.. rather that the workers are few. Since many hands make light work.. then what is the inverse rule?

Matthew 5:20 - if only they knew that God was with them, they would stand firm for Him and He would act mightily through them (David was just a boy against a giant - but he acted for God and God acted to support him).

Christians are groomed to think of church leadership as having authority to rule, and that sheep must comply - through some ordinance enacted by man in Jesus' name (apostolic succession). But, the flesh is weak, and we have evidence all around that such systems of qualification sometimes prevent justice (eg Ecclesiastes 10:5-7). Remember what Jesus said to St. Peter: "thou art Peter, the rock. Upon this rock I shall build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it". If we look into the reason why Jesus spoke this blessing upon St. Peter, it is because St. Peter trusted the truth that God had revealed to him, even against the overwhelming popularity of contrary opinion. This is how we are called to be - to trust what we know God is revealing to us, and to stand boldly against the tide. This is divine revelation, this is real relationship with God, this is what Jesus Christ builds His church upon, and this is what hell cannot prevail against.
The problem seems that it might not be necessarily always true. My impression of your motive for this, is that you've found some sort of relief to a cognitive dissonance this way, and you'd like to believe that this can be a permanent solution.
It sounds like depression. I know what you are describing. There is less freedom to be alive, .. I would say that the child-inside is no longer bubbling over. Observe children, they get over their problems in minutes, and they keep being cheerful even though they are disrespected and bossed around by uptight parents. It wasn't very long ago at all that you were like that! I remember.

Grown ups sometimes get into a rut where they can never again be free of their problems. This is essentially because children don't have all the worries of life. They have some worries, but they just let Mum and Dad take care of their food and shelter. Where grown-ups are limited in this sense, is by abandoning their relationship to The Heavenly Father. If we have a healthy relationship with Him, we shouldn't need to have worries like that. We trust Him to provide everything. We talk to Him. If we ever wonder how to solve a problem, we ask Him for wisdom and we follow His instructions. (Matthew 18:3).
Hosea 4:6. "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge". This is the very warning given to Adam and Eve, BTW. The adversary knows that humans are imperfect, that their pride, envy, lust and greed makes it impossible for them to always do what they should do. Then these weak ones have managed to get into positions of authority in church institutions, where they act like Mark 10:42 and not like Mark 10:43-44. These false teachers of 2 Peter 2:1-3 have become the ones of Jeremiah 23 and Ezekiel 34. This is what St. Paul described in 2 Thessalonians 2 - the day of YHWH would not come until there was the great falling away first.

.. So, we say that if anyone is being tempted, it is not God who does the tempting. For God Himself is holy and is unable to tempt anyone with evil. But, we wrestle against not the flesh and blood, but against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

We must love the sinner and hate the sin, and draw close to God for companionship, that He can heal us and use us as His instruments to heal others.

Father, I pray that you will empower our brother here to confidently assert his right to think freely on Your Word. I pray that you will stir in him a new trust, to read Your Word with faith, so that he will hear Your voice and receive from you the knowledge that you seek to impart to him. I ask that you will take away the feelings of despair, gloominess, doubt, and install feelings of hope and strength, - a new vitality for faith, so that he can stand strong against all who seek to cut him down. Instead, may it be that he finds the sword of the spirit in his right hand can cut down all his opponents with words of wisdom that nobody can refute or stand against. We pray this to you Heavenly Father, in Jesus' name, because of our brother's heart for you and for the truth. We pray, let your kingdom come that your will is done on earth. Amen.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is there a theological justification for a purposeful lack of emotion?

Rightly ordered emotions are simply an extension of our rationality. To fear is to be averse to a possible future evil; to have sorrow is to be averse to a present evil; to love is to be attracted to that which one sees to be good, etc. Without emotions we would not be able to properly negotiate the world. We would not be driven to avoid bad things and seek out good things. Without fear we would have no desire to avoid future evils; without sorrow we would not be able to experience present evil and learn that it is something bad; without anger we would not be able to rise above and conquer arduous goods, etc.

According to Christianity it isn't emotions that are the problem, but rather disordered emotions which are the result of the Fall. If fear is not tempered by fortitude then it can become overpowering and reduce us to a state of immobility. If sorrow is not alleviated by joy it can become insufferable and smothering. Disordered emotions make us act irrationally. The absence of all emotions would prevent us from acting at all.

I was reading Nihilist Virus' Exploring Christianity thread, and I will admit, I know nothing.

If you want an answer to his inquiry I give one here.

Upvote 0