Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
My greatest concern as a Christian debater is that people spend more time talking their way out of how they commited a Logical Fallacy when it's pointed out, than they do formatting their post so they don't commit said fallacy in the first place.

For example, if person commits X logical fallacy, and I point it out and provide sufficient proof, they will search the internet and find an alternative-fact article that says they didn't commit said fallacy. And will keep on commiting said gray area over and over, when they could have just fixed it.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Like I said, there are actually two definitions of ad hominem, and I prefer the one where all personal attacks are pretty much ad hominem. As soon as someone insults me more than lightheartedly, I am completely done with the debate.
I believe you are asking about the fallacy known as ad hominem. If that's the case, I was not aware that there were two definitions, can you reference them?

The logical fallacy known as ad hominem is an attempt to undermine someone's case without actually engaging in it VIA either overtly or subtly attacking the person.

For example, let's say that Bob presents an argument as to why investing in ETFs is smarter than investing in mutual funds. I respond by saying that we shouldn't listen to Bob because he's only 20 years old and doesn't even have a masters in business finance, plus he's not even securities registered so he can't even invest his own money without help. Clearly he doesn't know what he's talking about.

That would be an ad hominem attack. Instead of engaging with the content of Bob's argument, I instead attacked him as a way of avoiding engaging with the actual argument.

However, let's say that instead as I began giving my response to Bob's argument that I started by saying, "before I begin, I wanted to say that I hate Bob and I think he smells like poop.... Now as for what Bob said, here's why I think he's wrong..." That would not be an ad hominem.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like I said, there are actually two definitions of ad hominem, and I prefer the one where all personal attacks are pretty much ad hominem. As soon as someone insults me more than lightheartedly, I am completely done with the debate.

Sure, I can understand that it can feel insulting if someone says something critical of one's own person during a debate, but as Pigliucci & Boudry (2013) point out, some apparent ad hominems can actually be related to the nature of the Burden of Proof (pp. 10-11). So, not ALL apparent criticisms coming from other people during a debate are irrelevant. Some are, course, but some instances may at least be relevant to some limited extent.

Reference​
Pigliucci, M., & Boudry, M. (2014). Prove it! The burden of proof game in science vs. pseudoscience disputes. Philosophia, 42(2), 487-502. [LINK TO ARTICLE]

Here's another, longer article by the same guys (and ad hominem issues are addressed on pp. 8-12):

Boudry, M., Paglieri, F., & Pigliucci, M. (2015). The fake, the flimsy, and the fallacious: demarcating arguments in real life. Argumentation, 29(4), 431-456. [LINK TO ARTICLE]

Last edited:
Reactions: Joshua_5
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No.

If the answer is: You're a butt and consequently your argument is wrong; that WOULD be an add hom.

Post #2 is correct.

The statement is, by definition, an ad hominem statement. It is not, however, an ad hominem fallacy because it's not an argument.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think pretty much everyone using the phrase "ad hominem" means the fallacy, not just merely directing a comment at the person.

I don't think pretty much everyone uses it in that way at all.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Post #2 is correct.

The statement is, by definition, an ad hominem statement. It is not, however, an ad hominem fallacy because it's not an argument.
On mature reflection I reckon you're more accurate than I was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Examples:

You're an idiot. - Insult, but not really an ad hom because it doesn't even address their argument.
You're wrong because you're an idiot - ad hom.
You're wrong because you don't know what you're talking about - bordering on ad hom because it doesn't show whether they don't know what they're talking about or not.
If you think evolution is a lizard hatching a clutch of puppies, you don't want you're talking about - depending on how accurate the premise represents the other person's position, this is not an ad hom, but one needs to be careful about straw men.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You say "God is real." and the responder you are arguing with says "You are a butt." Is that an ad hominem or not? I have heard arguments that it is, and arguments that it isn't.

Perhaps it's simply a case of unstated or assumed premises. I say: 'God is real'. You say: 'You are a butt'.

Maybe you mean:

premise 1: Only butts believe God is real
premise 2: You believe God is real
Conclusion: You are a butt.

Best wishes, Strivax.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToddNotTodd
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If people can't even agree that personal attacks are bad in the course of debate... then, I should really stop debating.

TOF, I think most ad hominems are out of place in a debate. However, what argumentation practitioners will probably point out is that there is a difference between the following two 'accusations':

1) "You are a butt, and it's no wonder you think as you do!"

2) "You are not qualified to speak about (such-and-such) topic, so I probably shouldn't listen to 'half' of what you say about this."

[And anyone who would like to qualify this further, feel free to step-in. :cool: ]

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
"You are not qualified to speak about (such-and-such) topic, so I probably shouldn't listen to 'half' of what you say about this."

Sometimes this argument is logical, for example I can't give someone professional medical advice, but it's very often overused. Say a cowgirl has the answer to a tough theological question through faith. A theologian may very well dismiss her claim before hearing it, on that basis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TOF, I think most ad hominems are out of place in a debate. However, what argumentation practitioners will probably point out is that there is a difference between the following to 'accusations':

1) "You are a butt, and it's no wonder you think as you do!"

2) "You are not qualified to speak about (such-and-such) topic, so I probably shouldn't listen to 'half' of what you say about this."

The second statement correctly avoids the argumentum ad verecundiam fallacy.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"You are not qualified to speak about (such-and-such) topic, so I probably shouldn't listen to 'half' of what you say about this."

Sometimes this argument is logical, for example I can't give someone professional medical advice, but it's very often overused. Say a cowgirl has the answer to a tough theological question through faith. A theologian may very well dismiss her claim before hearing it, on that basis.

Granted, this exception you pose can sometimes be the case, which is why there is the 'probably' placed in that second statement. :)

When it comes to Christian Theology, you may have a good point about the viewpoint of the 'cowgirl,' but the possible legitimacy of a 'non-expert' such as her would likely be more appropriate in a discussion between competing Christian claims over some distinct view of how theology is to be best understood....and this is what we see all over CF. And that can be a good thing here.

But, in philosophy and science, or in some other non-divinely influenced, technical fields of study, it is usually the experts who call the shots as to what may or may not be the most probable thing regarding such-and-such a topic. This isn't always the case, of course, but more of than not it is. :cool:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
If people can't even agree that personal attacks are bad in the course of debate... then, I should really stop debating.

No-one is saying that.

They're saying that personal attacks or insults are not in and of themselves an ad hominem.

Upvote 0