Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is the argument for where "Secular Science" would fall given the previous associations.
ME4.png

As demonstrated earlier "Secular Science" and "Creation Science" by definition must be mutually exclusive. They can however agree on some conclusions reached independently. "Secular Science" makes every attempt at removing religion as a bias, this does not mean however that "Secular Science" is able to do so. In many cases "Secular Science" proves the Bible accurate. Where this occurs "Secular Science" would agree that the Bible agrees, but still does not give the Bible any credence. This is not the same as "Creation Science". "Creation Science" states up front this bias, therefore all the conclusions must agree with the Bible as previously agreed. We can derive "Understanding" by "Conclusions" from either but the stronger accidental evidence comes from "Secular Science" as an independent source of "understanding"removed from religion. In other words religion was removed, but still agreed with some things in the Bible by happenstance. (We will get to "Truth" later as this indeed part of that argument, we are dealing with one topic at a time).

The arguments for this diagram were stated in post #38 I just combined them all here.

Is this diagram acceptable and understood? Do I need to move anything or change any associations to clarify the argument? Do you have issue with any of the arguments?

Warm regards, GBTG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GBTG

Nov 2, 2017
Luverne
✟14,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had to make a few changes...
ME6.png

Some "Secular Science" agrees with direct and indirect translations of the Bible, just as "Creation Science". As previously stated this agreement is accidental. Some Secular Science does not agree with the English translation, but does agree with some of the "Original Bible Text's" available definitions. Some "Secular Science" does not agree with any version or is not stated in the Bible. We do not understand all of "Secular Science" just as we don't understand all "Creation Science".

All "Conclusions" are part of mans "Understanding" as we discerned them, we cannot come to conclusions that we don't know about or have not contemplated. Thoughts?

Regards, GBTG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NobleMouse

We have nothing, if not belief in the Lord
Sep 19, 2017
Mid West
✟47,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had to make a few changes...
View attachment 217759
Some "Secular Science" agrees with direct and indirect translations of the Bible, just as "Creation Science". As previously stated this agreement is accidental. Some Secular Science does not agree with the English translation, but does agree with some of the "Original Bible Text's" available definitions. Some "Secular Science" does not agree with any version or is not stated in the Bible. We do not understand all of "Secular Science" just as we don't understand all "Creation Science".

All "Conclusions" are part of mans "Understanding" as we discerned them, we cannot come to conclusions that we don't know about or have not contemplated. Thoughts?

Regards, GBTG
I think I can follow along with this. I did notice that you have understanding now intersecting the original Biblical text and we had previously discussed not having these overlap. As it was my initial thought these might intersect I do not have issue with the overlap here, but wanted to make sure you were good as well.

Upvote 0

GBTG

Nov 2, 2017
Luverne
✟14,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Glad you caught that! It is indeed important!

As we agreed to our "understanding" thus far, you are correct in that our "Understanding" does not intersect with the original text due to the language barrier. I wanted to make sure you were getting the relationships well as the diagram became more complicated (and i was too lazy to fix it). I will correct the diagram! What you pointed out was an example of an illogical argument! As stated they cannot overlap unless any of the original biblical texts are your native tongue. (I was focused on getting the "science" relationship correct to our "understanding" that I left it when I finished, figured you might point it out!) ;)

Do you agree that all human "conclusions" are part of human "understanding"?

Do you agree that some "Secular Science" might agree with the "Original Biblical Texts" other possible Hebrew definitions that were not translated correctly to English? The area of overlap outside the "English Bible"? I just wanted to be clear in case you did not see that. The same overlap occurs for "Creation Science" but that all falls within the "English Bible" translation. Neither is fully understood by man.

I too wanted to be clear before I draw the next diagram and given the next argument.

Regards, GBTG

Upvote 0

GBTG

Nov 2, 2017
Luverne
✟14,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As we have quit a few arguments being shown, I remade the Diagram in the accurate logic form. Please feel free to critique!

ME8.png

I think you might notice that there is a problem inherent to one of the arguments shown in this diagram. The problem is not that it is illogical? It is not! The problem is that, by definition it renders itself unnecessary or redundant. I am hoping you can point it out, if you do see it, how do we fix it? This problem is very significant and a severe limitation to actually being able to study the Bible. I will demonstrate this problem with the next Venn Diagram, if its not recognized.

Regards, GBTG

Upvote 0

NobleMouse

Sep 19, 2017
Mid West
✟47,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
3185 1939 As we have quit a few arguments being shown, I remade the Diagram in the accurate logic form. Please feel free to critique!

View attachment 217817

I think you might notice that there is a problem inherent to one of the arguments shown in this diagram. The problem is not that it is illogical? It is not! The problem is that, by definition it renders itself unnecessary or redundant. I am hoping you can point it out, if you do see it, how do we fix it? This problem is very significant and a severe limitation to actually being able to study the Bible. I will demonstrate this problem with the next Venn Diagram, if its not recognized.

Regards, GBTG
No sure what the redundant/unnecessary argument is. Will await updated diagram.

Upvote 0

GBTG

Nov 2, 2017
Luverne
✟14,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I want to demonstrate the flaw outside our current subject matter so that the concept is clear when we apply the idea to our current argument. In this way we can avoid any objections to the logic. Sample argument:

All smurfy things, I only like smurfy things. Things that are not smurfy are not relevant.
Smurf.png

The smurf argument is fine if the intent is to actively ignore "unsmurfy" things. This creates a positive "smurfy" feedback loop. Smurfy things can only support smurfiness. The largest problem with the smurf bias is the assumption that ALL Smurfy things are known. There are Unsmurfy things that might be smurfy but a smurf would never know, as they were already declared unsmurfy. This is a perfectly logical argument, but the bias makes any conclusion smurfy. So how do you know if it really is Smurfy or not? There is no way in-which to validate the smurfiness. And so it goes with Creaton Science...

Creation Science.png

Creation science has a bias which states that all conclusions based on the English Bible are absolutely, correct because the Bible is correct. The argument is then stated "see we can prove the Bible correct with creation science" as the Bible shows this... How do you know its accurate? The Bible says so... (positive feedback loop). This argument assumes that ALL English translations are correct. This bias allows continued ignorance to translational errors or potentially misunderstood scriptures to continue to be expressed because they can never be challenged. How can you KNOW then that what your studying is correct? There is no mechanism other than opinion, which gets us nowhere in trying to prove or disprove the accuracy of the translation and the science that comes from that inaccuracy. How can this be corrected? This is not about faith... Either the Bible is true or it isn't. This is where secular science comes in. Secular science does not care if the conclusions agree or disagree with the Bible, it only cares that the science was done as honestly as possible without a religious influence. As the Venn Diagram in the previous post demonstrates there are areas where secular science agrees with the original biblical text but does not agree with the English translation. This forces a believer to reevaluate the accuracy of the translation.

Example: Genesis 1:20 (Blue words added for context not in original Hebrew, red words are changes to words)

Hebrew Direct Translation: "and·he-is-creating, Elohim, the·monsters, the·great-ones, and every-of- soul, the·living, the·moving, which, they-swarm, the·waters, to·species-of·them, and, every, flyer-of, wing, to·species-of·him, and·he-is-seeing, Elohim, good"

CLV: "Elohim created the great sea monsters and every moving, living soul with which the waters swarm according to their kind, and every winged flyer according to its kind. And Elohim saw that it was good."

KJV: "And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good."

NASB: "God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarmed after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind; and God saw that it was good.

ESV: "So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good."

"and·he-is-creating, Elohim, the·monsters, the·great-ones..." If we knew nothing else but these biblical words and the dinosaur fossil record could dinosaurs be biblical accounted for and agree with secular science? FYI Creation science precludes being able to ask this question... according to Venn diagrams.

Warm regards, GBTG

Upvote 0

NobleMouse

Sep 19, 2017
Mid West
✟47,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to demonstrate the flaw outside our current subject matter so that the concept is clear when we apply the idea to our current argument. In this way we can avoid any objections to the logic. Sample argument:

All smurfy things, I only like smurfy things. Things that are not smurfy are not relevant.
View attachment 217948
The smurf argument is fine if the intent is to actively ignore "unsmurfy" things. This creates a positive "smurfy" feedback loop. Smurfy things can only support smurfiness. The largest problem with the smurf bias is the assumption that ALL Smurfy things are known. There are Unsmurfy things that might be smurfy but a smurf would never know, as they were already declared unsmurfy. This is a perfectly logical argument, but the bias makes any conclusion smurfy. So how do you know if it really is Smurfy or not? There is no way in-which to validate the smurfiness. And so it goes with Creaton Science...
Sorry I didn't notice your response sooner. Should the secular science and creation circles intersect, as well as the secular science and english bible circles intersect? Creation science and secular science are not mutually exclusive correct? For example, both would agree on the rate of decay of various isotopes here in the present. Both identify distinct species, which gives context behind a truth of the Bible that God created each according to their kind.

View attachment 217950
Creation science has a bias which states that all conclusions based on the English Bible are absolutely, correct because the Bible is correct. The argument is then stated "see we can prove the Bible correct with creation science" as the Bible shows this... How do you know its accurate? The Bible says so... (positive feedback loop). This argument assumes that ALL English translations are correct. This bias allows continued ignorance to translational errors or potentially misunderstood scriptures to continue to be expressed because they can never be challenged. How can you KNOW then that what your studying is correct? There is no mechanism other than opinion, which gets us nowhere in trying to prove or disprove the accuracy of the translation and the science that comes from that inaccuracy. How can this be corrected? This is not about faith... Either the Bible is true or it isn't. This is where secular science comes in. Secular science does not care if the conclusions agree or disagree with the Bible, it only cares that the science was done as honestly as possible without a religious influence. As the Venn Diagram in the previous post demonstrates there are areas where secular science agrees with the original biblical text but does not agree with the English translation. This forces a believer to reevaluate the accuracy of the translation.
Creation science does believe that the Bible is correct. It would be a miss, I think, to assume they have not collaborated with Hebraists, Lexicographers, and Theologians to confirm their understanding from the English bible before broadcasting assertions on public media and investing millions into research. In the documentary, Is Genesis History, Dr. Steven W. Boyd discussed the Genesis text and what it tells us. I believe in another thread, you posted remarks regarding the qualifications of individuals there in discussing evolution (whether we are able to speak authoritatively on the matter or whether it is just our opinion). Dr. Boyd, among other degrees, has a Th.M. in Old Testament and Semitics from Dallas Theological Seminary, and a M.Phil. and a Ph.D. in Hebraic and Cognate Studies from Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion. I think this qualifies him to speak authoritatively on the Genesis account and the nature of the text. The nature of the text is that this is narrative (not poetic, not allegorical), day (yom) means what we understand in English as a 24-hr day, Adam and Eve were physical, real people (humans, not apes or something else), the creation events described actually took place, and the genealogies given in Genesis give credence to the fact that Jesus fulfills the prophecies around the lineage from which he would come. As I've told others, if there are further arguments to be made as to the historicity and accuracy of the foundation-laying book of the Bible we call Genesis, I would take them up with the experts. I believe the events of Genesis and the timeline from these events to Christ on the basis of faith. That said, I do believe that there will also be evidence that corroborates these truths.

Example: Genesis 1:20 (Blue words added for context not in original Hebrew, red words are changes to words)

Hebrew Direct Translation: "and·he-is-creating, Elohim, the·monsters, the·great-ones, and every-of- soul, the·living, the·moving, which, they-swarm, the·waters, to·species-of·them, and, every, flyer-of, wing, to·species-of·him, and·he-is-seeing, Elohim, good"

CLV: "Elohim created the great sea monsters and every moving, living soul with which the waters swarm according to their kind, and every winged flyer according to its kind. And Elohim saw that it was good."

KJV: "And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good."

NASB: "God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarmed after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind; and God saw that it was good.

ESV: "So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good."

"and·he-is-creating, Elohim, the·monsters, the·great-ones..." If we knew nothing else but these biblical words and the dinosaur fossil record could dinosaurs be biblical accounted for and agree with secular science? FYI Creation science precludes being able to ask this question... according to Venn diagrams.

Warm regards, GBTG
I don't know if I fully understand/follow your question at the bottom here after the various versions of Genesis 1:20 so I apologize if I don't respond correctly, but I don't believe YEC scientists turn a blind eye to fossils of any kind or say that something doesn't exist because it is not explicitly mentioned in the Bible (though the description of a dinosaur is alluded to in the book of Job). In fact, these fossils, they would say, are a great testament to the event of the flood described in the Bible in relation to Noah. The created universe is the source of evidence for both YEC and secular scientists alike, the only difference is in how the evidence is interpreted.

The YEC model would say there have been multiple epochs to Earth's history and if we try to extrapolate to present to the past (or the future) based solely upon the events and conditions within a given epoch, we may distort our view of reality. As is often said, the present is not the key to the past; the past is the key to the present - if we want to know why things in the present exist the way they do, we need to turn to the Bible to understand why.

Secular science would say the opposite... to understand the past, we need to study the present and extrapolate what we know from present conditions and present rates into the past (sounds like uniformitarianism concepts). In fact, 2 Peter 3:4 points to this sentiment as well:

They will say, “Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things are continuing as they were from the beginning of creation.”

The 'they' here are the scoffers and they will come saying all things are continuing as they were from the beginning of creation. This sounds very familiar to me: radiometric dating with slow rates of decay as they are in the present, evolution being extrapolated to say we came from LUCA because we see evidence of variation in species presently, etc...

I'm going to caveat that what I'm about to say is not on a scientific framework and may not even be upheld as a belief within the YEC scientific community, but I wonder what the effect of the curse from sin had on the physical universe. In the case of radiometric dating, for example, what would rocks be like without the curse of sin? We know the ground is cursed - what's that look like? It's only my opinion and speculation, but I know when Jesus cursed the fig tree it withered rather quickly and so when we see evidence of decay I don't see that it necessarily has to have all happened very slowly as it does at today's current rate. I have to remember that the universe was originally created to last forever, we were created to last forever, but we don't, there is death, disease, and decay.

Just some thoughts as we discuss the Venn diagrams.

Upvote 0

GBTG

Nov 2, 2017
Luverne
✟14,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry I didn't notice your response sooner. Should the secular science and creation circles intersect, as well as the secular science and english bible circles intersect? Creation science and secular science are not mutually exclusive correct? For example, both would agree on the rate of decay of various isotopes here in the present. Both identify distinct species, which gives context behind a truth of the Bible that God created each according to their kind.

They cannot, as described in the earlier diagram. There definitions make them mutually exclusive, however they can have shared conclusions as you pointed out. Hence the conclusion circle to rectify that very problem.

Creation science does believe that the Bible is correct. It would be a miss, I think, to assume they have not collaborated with Hebraists, Lexicographers, and Theologians to confirm their understanding from the English bible before broadcasting assertions on public media and investing millions into research. In the documentary, Is Genesis History, Dr. Steven W. Boyd discussed the Genesis text and what it tells us. I believe in another thread, you posted remarks regarding the qualifications of individuals there in discussing evolution (whether we are able to speak authoritatively on the matter or whether it is just our opinion). Dr. Boyd, among other degrees, has a Th.M. in Old Testament and Semitics from Dallas Theological Seminary, and a M.Phil. and a Ph.D. in Hebraic and Cognate Studies from Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion. I think this qualifies him to speak authoritatively on the Genesis account and the nature of the text. The nature of the text is that this is narrative (not poetic, not allegorical), day (yom) means what we understand in English as a 24-hr day, Adam and Eve were physical, real people (humans, not apes or something else), the creation events described actually took place, and the genealogies given in Genesis give credence to the fact that Jesus fulfills the prophecies around the lineage from which he would come. As I've told others, if there are further arguments to be made as to the historicity and accuracy of the foundation-laying book of the Bible we call Genesis, I would take them up with the experts. I believe the events of Genesis and the timeline from these events to Christ on the basis of faith. That said, I do believe that there will also be evidence that corroborates these truths.

The bias still exists... and is still the same problem... as demonstrated.

I don't know if I fully understand/follow your question at the bottom here after the various versions of Genesis 1:20 so I apologize if I don't respond correctly, but I don't believe YEC scientists turn a blind eye to fossils of any kind or say that something doesn't exist because it is not explicitly mentioned in the Bible (though the description of a dinosaur is alluded to in the book of Job).

My point here is that the bias demonstrated in the smurf argument does not allow for identifying where in Genesis dinosaurs were created. I gave all the scripture as to how a secular science driven reevaluation of mans understanding of the Bible text translations might be worth while. I gave many biblical translations and the original Hebrew. Creation science bias precludes being able to ask this question because of its bias.

So again: "and·he-is-creating, Elohim, the·monsters, the·great-ones..." If we knew nothing else but these biblical words and have the dinosaur fossil record, could dinosaurs be biblical accounted for and agree with secular science, as being made in the 5th "day" of creation?

Warm regards, GBTG

You thoughts are always appreciated even if we do not agree :)!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NobleMouse

Sep 19, 2017
Mid West
✟47,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They cannot, as described in the earlier diagram. There definitions make them mutually exclusive, however they can have shared conclusions as you pointed out. Hence the conclusion circle to rectify that very problem.

Okay, I follow - yes I was thinking more along the line of conclusions from secular and creation science.

The bias still exists... and is still the same problem... as demonstrated.

I would suggest that a bias is needed, a bias towards the truth... if we want scientific assertions to arrive at the truth. If I am 'agnostic' or indifferent, in a sense, and accept any plausible explanation as truth, then what ends up reigning as 'truth', in the end, is only that which that has been most logically/extensively/convincingly presented (according to my personal standards of that which is logical/thorough/convincing). Of the 7 billion people on the planet, approx. 5 billion don't believe in Christianity... not a very convincing statistic for "onboarding new believers", yet you and I believe that Christianity is the one true faith in the one true God despite the 5/7 of the world that would otherwise argue it is less logical, less convincing, or simply just a multi-faceted layering of myths.

My point here is that the bias demonstrated in the smurf argument does not allow for identifying where in Genesis dinosaurs were created. I gave all the scripture as to how a secular science driven reevaluation of mans understanding of the Bible text translations might be worth while. I gave many biblical translations and the original Hebrew. Creation science bias precludes being able to ask this question because of its bias.

So again: "and·he-is-creating, Elohim, the·monsters, the·great-ones..." If we knew nothing else but these biblical words and have the dinosaur fossil record, could dinosaurs be biblical accounted for and agree with secular science, as being made in the 5th "day" of creation?

I think I follow... the Bible does not give a specific account of dinosaurs (and many life forms), nor the fossil record. This is an opportunity for science to get to work understanding what the creatures are and where they fit into the Biblical account of creation... right? Not invent some alternate story of creation... if we truly believe the Bible is true regarding the creation account. Many don't really accept it as truth. It's not our creation to define the story, and God has already told the story (though He has graciously allowed us to discover some of the finer points).

The Bible is true and the English translations are not materially incorrect - I believe there is only a very small fraction that is incorrect and what little minor discrepancies may exist, the overall message is not lost. If we could travel back in time and be with the early philosophers and founding fathers of what has shaped (not necessarily founded) modern science today, I wonder how they viewed the created universe with the discovery of new things. Did they look at a bird and think, "Ah, there goes a fine specimen of God's creation, confirming what I know about from reading the Bible." Or, did they think of God at all, I wonder? Did they review and judge their conclusions against reality (truths they would have known from reading their Bible)? If the scientific conclusion did not reconcile with biblical truths, did they assume their interpretation from the Bible must be wrong, rather than their scientific conclusion? I have a hard time buying the idea the most influential of science were very seriously devout Christians that held the Bible to be of highest authority and saw it as historical and accurate. This doesn't mean they cannot craft a good story or cannot make logical, reasonable, convincing observations and arguments.

The fact that correlations and relationships can be drawn at all between life is evidence alone that God created life. Because God is logical, efficient, and intelligent, we'll naturally see evidence of this in ourselves as well as all life. The most amusing argument I read here in this forum in favor of evolution is that the fossil record, specifically the faunal succession, is "predictable." Correlations and logic can only be applied, because underlying these assumptions is the truth of God's creation (as told in the Bible). Illogical assumptions and false facts can be wrapped around truth and sound right, be reconcilable, even though they are incorrect in and of themselves. For example, you may know that Islam actually shares the same books found in the Pentateuch along with the Bible. You and I don't believe Islam is true, but about 1.6 billion people are convinced it is because at the core of Islam there are some threads of truth.

Like Islam, I believe the same thing is happening within secular science where ideas about our origins are promoted even though they are not consistent with even the fundamental truths of the Bible; however, they do not come across as blatantly wrong because at their core they are ultimately supported by various threads of truth from God's creation. Reading on in 2 Peter 3:5-7, we read that the world was deluged with water and perished. The truth is, the flood of Noah's time did destroy the world (all creatures on the land and birds of the air as we are told) and this explains why we have billions of fossils all over the world. We don't really get fossils happening here in the present anymore do we - it's the rare exception, not the rule. There is also a bias in secular science and that bias states that things in the present are how things were in the past (uniformitarianism, also see 2 Peter 3:4). To be clear, I'm not saying science is Islamic, just using this example to illustrate how anything wrapped around the truth can appear holistically 'true' even when it is not.

I find God's word most convincing, not because His word is more extensive in volume than that of say Hawking and Dawkins, but because of who the author is (God is the author, though I recognize penned by men). That said, God's creation account is logical and reasonable (and it would be because it is true). Jesus said we (humans) were created male and female from the beginning (Matthew 19:4), that His second coming will be just like in the days of Noah (Matthew 24:39), just as we are told in Genesis; and He said that the Bible is correct, every character, every mark and all of it will be fulfilled (Matthew 5:18).

Warm regards, GBTG

You thoughts are always appreciated even if we do not agree
clip_image001.png
!

Likewise brother, please keep writing as time permits! What do you think the biggest challenge is to believing the biblical creation account? Does secular science tell a better story; is there a lack of faith; is there a rejection of God in these end times?

Upvote 0