Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
In Wisdom Is Guidance
Prov 8:1-11

Does not wisdom cry out, and understanding lift her voice? On the topmost heights along the way, at the crossroads, she takes her stand. Beside the gates leading into the city, at the entrances, she cries aloud: "To you, O men, I call out! My cry is to all mankind! O naïve ones, learn prudence! Fools, gain understanding! (V 1-5)

Wisdom is described again as a "good" woman who is calling out to all who will listen. It is not offering her knowledge only to the rich but also to the poor and the destitute. To any and to all who will LISTEN. Wisdom is there for the picking. Any where, any time, any way. And when you hear her, do what she shows you.

Listen, for I speak excellent things, and my lips utter right things. For my mouth speaks truth, and my lips detest wickedness. All the words of my mouth are righteous, Nothing in them is perverse or crooked. All of them are straightforward to the discerning, and right to those who find knowledge. (V 6-9)

Why should we listen? What she says is "excellent" and right. Remember Phil 4:8? Paul did not write that for nothing. She speaks the truth and not wickedness. God's word tells us what truth and wicknedness is, if we read it, then we will not be confused as to the right thing to do. It will not lead us to believe that someone else's spouse is going to be given to us instead. You may laugh, but I've heard people say that. :scratch: Or to use scripture totally out of it's context to try and give merit to their false teachings.

All the teachings of wisdom are righteous. They do not involve, lying, stealing, coveting, telling false things about others, dishonoring our parents, not teaching that what God said in one part of scripture is no longer applicable today, etc.. Wisdom does not lead us to perverseness or crooked ways, deceiving and making things look better than they are.

All she speaks is straight forward, no double-talk. Always the right thing for those who find knowledge...again, something we get from reading God's word. We cannot have knowledge of something we have not read. And reading it once, is NOT sufficient. We must keep it in our heart. Make it part of our very being.

Receive my instruction instead of silver and knowledge rather than choice gold. For wisdom is better than jewels, nothing you desire compares with her. (V 10-11)

Wisdom's instructions and knowledge, are to be more precious to us than silver and gold. Wisdom is better than anything that we hold precious. NOTHING we desire is comparable.

In Yeshua we find wisdom, righteousness, holiness and redemption. (1 Cor 1:30) He is our wisdom (1 Cor 1:24) in that we cling to him, put our trust in him and seek him (Jer 29:13). All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are "hidden" in him (Col 2:3).

Comments, Questions, Observations, and Insights can be made in the link below:

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Trusting Godly Wisdom
Prov 8:12-21

“I, wisdom, dwell with prudence, and acquire knowledge with discretion. To fear Adonai is to hate evil. I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and a perverse mouth. (V 12-13)

Godly wisdom will stay with the person who practices good judgment, moral courage and astute common sense (see AMP). None of this, "tossing it all in the air and seeing where it lands" stuff. It's ok and good to make plans, however, we must also accept that God may have something different in the works for us than what we've decided for ourselves.

Stand up for what is right, even if it makes you unpopular, and like in this day and time, some people get fired from their jobs for doing what is right. Iwas fired once because I refused to lie for the boss. There were many other things that I could do to achieve the same results as what he wanted but he wanted me to outright lie. I gave it to the Lord, and though the man fired me, by that following Monday, I had another job and it turned out to be way better than the one that fired me.

Don't become irate because things happen to change your plans. Godly wisdom hates pride and arrogance which is showing when we get upset because our plans are upset and we either have to take a different route or maybe have to change our plans alltogehter.

Behaving in an evil manner and a perverse mouth (lying and manipulatiog) and running over others to make your plans happen is unacceptable to the Lord. I don't think that means just lying down and allowing others to walk all over you, but calmly taking the situation to Him and allowing Him to take care of it and giving you the wisdom in how to deal with it and do what you need to do without doing evil yourself.

Counsel and sound wisdom are mine. I have understanding and power. By me kings reign and princes decree justice. By me princes govern, and all nobles who judge righteously. I love those who love me. Those who earnestly seek me find me. With me are wealth and honor, enduring riches and righteousness. My fruit is better than refined gold, my harvest better than choice silver. I walk in the way of righteousness, along paths of justice. I endow substance to those who love me and fill their treasuries. (V 14-21)

In the counsel of the Lord there is sound wisdom. He has full understanding and power and even if it looks like you're getting the raw end of the deal, your faith and trust in Him will work to your advantage.

Yeshua loves those who love him and those who seek him will find him. What he offers is far better than gold or silver. Choosing to live righteously has great reward. Of course this is not talking about earthly riches, although, they are certainly not necessarily excluded, but people can be rich with earthly things, and unhappy with their life. We are not seeking earthly treasures, but the treasures in heaven which are eternal.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Wisdom Before Creation
Prov 8:22-36

It's impossible to have godly wisdom without Yeshua. People within the world can make wise decisions, yet without their faith and trust in Yeshua it is not the highest of wisdom they can achieve. In Yeshua are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. (Col 2:3)

Adonai brought me forth, the first of His way, before His works of old. From eternity I was appointed from the beginning, before the world began. When there were no depths, I was brought forth, when there were no fountains abounding with water. Before the mountains were shaped, before the hills, I was brought forth. He had not yet made the land,the fields, or the first dust of the earth. (V 22-26)

From the beginning, God posessed wisdom and He brought forth that wisdom into HIS creation of the world. God's wisdom existed before there were depths and before there were fountains and before the mountains and the hills, before the first dust of the earth, wisdom was.

Wisdom was not a work of God. Wisdom is His possession. It is by HIS doing that we who are in Messiah Yeshua, He becomes to us wisdom from God and righteousness, and holiness, and redemption. (1 Cor 1:30)

When He set the heavens in place, I was there. When He inscribed the horizon on the face of the ocean, when He established the skies above, when He securely fixed the fountains of the deep, when He set the boundaries for the sea, so that the waters never transgress His command, when He laid out earth’s foundations—then I was the craftsman beside Him, I was His daily delight, always rejoicing before Him, rejoicing in His whole world, and delighting in mankind. (V 27-31)

Before God created anything, wisdom was there. When HE wrote the horizon on the ocean, when HE established the skies, when HE gave the oceans boundries which they cannot cross without HIS command. God takes great delight in wisdom, enjoying it and it rejoicing before HIM and all HIS creation.

“So now, children, listen to me! Blessed are those who keep my ways. Heed discipline and be wise, and do not neglect it. Blessed is the one who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at my doorposts. For whoever finds me finds life and obtains favor from Adonai. But whoever fails to find me harms his life—all who hate me love death.” (V 32-36)

We are blessed when we keep the ways of wisdom. Listen and follow discipline. Remember, "Discipline = Freedom". We cannot win a race we do not train for. Run with aim, and don't just beat the air like a shadow boxer (1 Cor 9:26) Be wise and don't be neglectful in your training for the Kingdom of God.

We are blessed when we come daily before God and listen for Him. Whoever finds wisdom finds life. (Jmes 1:5; Eph 5:15-17; Col 3:16; Jmes 3:17) Whoever finds wisdom obtains favor from Adonai. Whoever fails to find wisdom does harm to their life.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Wisdom's Invitation
Prov 9: 1-12

Wisdom has built her house. She has carved out her seven pillars. She has slaughtered her meat, she has mixed her wine; she has also set her table. She has sent out her servant girls. She calls from the city’s heights: “Whoever is naïve, turn in here!” To those who lack understanding, she says: “Come, eat my bread and drink the wine I have mixed. Abandon your foolish ways and live! Walk in the way of understanding.” (V 1-6)

Wisdom is being described here as a woman who has a huge house...a mansion with lots of rooms and enough space for any who want to come. It's a secure home. It's built on solid ground, safe from the wind and the rain. She has sent out her servant girls with the message to all who will hear that if anyone lacks wisdom they can enter into the home and safely learn. Join her at the table where there is plenty to eat and drink. All a person need do is abandon their foolish ways, enter wisdom's house and learn how to really live. What the world calls living is actually death.

Whoever corrects a scoffer is asking for insult. Whoever reproves a wicked man gets abuse. Do not correct a scoffer or he will hate you. Rebuke a wise man and he will love you. Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still. Teach a righteous man and he will increase in learning. The fear of Adonai is the beginning of wisdom and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. For through me your days will be many and years will be added to your life. If you are wise, you are wise to your own advantage, but if you scoff, you bear it alone. (V 7-12)

"Whoever corrects a scoffer is asking for insult". Boy have I learned that the hard way. Whn you try and correct someone who is making fun and does not care if what they are doing is correct or not, they will only turn and insult you.

When you correct someone though who loves God and desires to walk in HIS ways they will accept your instruction (though not always necessarily immediately). If they truely communicate with God, HE will work on their heart if at first they reject.

That is how we are to ve, correctable, not insulting those who correct us, even if you think they are wrong, take it quietly and consder befroe God if what they said was true or not. I need to work on that one myself.

"The fear of Adonai is the beginning of wisdom". That would not be fear as in terror, but fear as in deep respect and reverence for HIM. HE's the maker of the universe, not a "home boy" whom we feel free to sass and disrespect.

HE deserves our respect and awe. To have this deep, awed fear of HIM is the beginning of wisdom and truly understanding of Who HE is. Having the wisdom that gives us the proper view of God will add years of good living to our life. That does not mean rich and famous, but that we will find satisfaction in what we are doing. It's to our own atvantage to go after wisdom. But for the scoffer, it's the total opposite.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Folly's Invitation
Prov 9:13-18

The foolish woman is rowdy. She is naïve and knows nothing. So she sits at the door of her house, on a seat in the heights of the city, calling to those who pass by, who go straight on their way: “Whoever is naïve, let him turn in here.” To those who lack understanding, she says: “Stolen water is sweet and bread eaten in secret is delicious!”
But he does not know that the dead are there—her guests are in the depths of Sheol. (V 13-18)

Wisdom's woman gave invititions of honor and rest, love and joy, and a place where one could gain in knowledge of the Lord and be loved eternally by a good Father.

Folly's woman though, is not full of grace and beauty but she is rowdy...rough and disorderly. Roughing her guests up and abusing them. Folly has no plans of giving life but bringing death. She calls out to passers-by too, saying, "whoever does not know things, come on in here. I'll teach you all you need to know about whatever you want to know. Living wild and free is sweet and when you can get the better of others is delicious."

Thing is, what folly does not tell you is, there is nothing living in her house. All who have previously entered are dead and rotting where they are. They entered thinking life was going to be a party, but instead suffered and died in that folly and are now just part of the dirt in the grave. On the inside they are dead, a life of misary, destined for an afterlife where all that exists is misery.

Unless the person in folly repents, and puts their faith and trust in what Yeshua did at the cross for them and begins walking in the ways of wisdom, they have no hope.

Through Yeshua, there is hope. :clap:

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Diligence Vs Laziness
Prov 10:1-5

1 The proverbs of Solomon.

A wise son gives joy to his father, but a foolish son grief to his mother.

As the offspring of our parents, we are to bring joy to them and not grief. However our parents may have done wrong, when we become an adult and when we are putting our faith and trust in Yeshua, the responsibility of being a wise and good person now rests on us. We cannot do things wrongly and blame it all on our parents.

When we see the deficiencies in our selves, we have promises from God that HE creates in us a new and clean heart (Ps 51:12; 2 Cor 5:17; Rom 12:2) and we can become a person who will, despite failure on our earthly parents part, bring joy to to their hearts.

Note: Regarding Ps 51:12 in comments...Jewish versions of scriptures show what other versions have as a subtitle as verse 1 and 2. This difference of course pushes forward the verses following, so, instead of it being Ps 51:10 (as many of us have memorized) it's 51:12.
2 Ill-gotten treasures profit nothing, but righteousness delivers from death.

Possessions gained by thievery or manipulation or trickery brings ill-timed death. Possesions gained in a righteous way does the opposite. Even if you truly believe that you "are owed", taking possession of belongings in an unrighteous manner will only bring you grief in one way or another. (Prov 1:19; Mic 2:1-13; Prov 21:6; Prov 11:4)
3 Adonai will not let a righteous soul go hungry, but thwarts the cravings of the wicked.

Some versions leave out the word "soul" of the righteous giving the impression that the righteous will never have to suffer physical hunger, but that is an inaccurate assumption. See AMP and footnotes. See also Paul's comments in Phil 4:10-12.

The promise here is that our soul will never go hungry when we take delight in HIS ways and choose to walk according to HIS instructions. (Mic 6:8; Col 1:9-11; Deut 8:6; Rom 13:13; Eph 2:10)
4 Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth.

We are not to be lazy. When a person is able to do "something", "anything" to help support themselves, or to give back, they are to do it. If you need help from the government or others, it's not bad but to depend on others when you ARE albe is lazy. Or to always take but never give back in SOME way or another is lazy. Even if all you can do is write a study or a blog, or send out cards of incouragement to others is something. Don't be stingy with any excess of food that you get from the Food Pantry, or whatever, that is better than laying around doing nothing but complaining. Don't be a Maynard T Krebs, "Work" LOL
5 He who gathers crops in summer is a wise son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son.

For everything there is a season (Eccl 3:1-9), also a song Turn, Turn, Turn. Do things in their time, don't put off to tomorrow what should be done today. We cannot expect to reap a good harvest of anything if we don't gather in the right time.

Remain diligent in all that you do and work while the time is right. (Rom 13:11)

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
What We Say Matters
Prov 10:6-21

6 Blessings are on the head of the righteous, but the mouth of the wicked conceals violence.

Those who live according to God's instructions have blessings following them wherever they go. Deut 28:2, The blessings are listed in the following verses (3-14). For those who walk in wickedness though, they will be struck silent when their wickedness is exposed. See also Paul's list in Gal 5:16-26, for his list of righteous acts and wicked acts. A scriptural example of this can be found in the Book of Esther...Mordecai was honored, and Haaman was hung.

7 The memory of the righteous is a blessing, but the name of the wicked will rot.

When the righteous pass on, people's memories of them are a blessing, all the ways in which they helped others, and their kindness, etc., is remembered with fondness. When a wicked person dies, the memories left are brutal. Memories of stealing, and hating, and hurting, etc..

8 The wise in heart accept commands, but a babbling fool comes to ruin.

Basically, a wise person will take advise from others who are successful in the areas they are advising about. The fool however, runs at the mouth and takes offense when others try to help and just want to do things their way and not listen to anyone else. It's not easy to be humble, but we'll save ourselves a lot of heartache when we master it.

9 One who walks in integrity, walks securely, but one who takes crooked paths will be discovered.

When we do it God's way and deal honestly with others we can be secure in our decisions. But one who deals dishonestly and cheats, manipulates, and tricks in their dealings with people will be found out, and when they are, they are brought to disgrace.

10 One who winks an eye maliciously causes grief, while a babbling fool comes to ruin.

Pretty much verses 8 and 9 together. If we refuse to take advise and run at the mouth about how we can do it and don't need anyone else are doomed to fail.

11 The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but the mouth of the wicked conceals violence.

The words of a righteous person is full of life. They build others up, not tearing down. The mouth of the wicked is always blaming others, and talking behind people's backs and saying bad things about them. The words of the wicked are draining and destructive and their own words of destruction toward others and intended to make themselves look better, will be discovered and in their shame, at least before God, they will be brought to silence.

12 Hatred stirs up strife but love covers up all transgressions.

It's a hateful person who stirs up strife. It likes to provoke enmity between others and seperate friends and family. Love does not do these things though. It conceils the discrepencies that are not necessary to tell. Some things, out of the safety of someone may need to be told, but there are so many arguments between "church" people caused because someone told another someone something about the first someone that happened over 30 years ago and it is not in play today but it causes a stir and then there is strife.

13 Wisdom is found on the lips of the discerning, but a rod is for the back of one lacking sense.

Wisdom is found on the lips of the discerning...no lying, no cheating, no bearing false witness, no rudeness, etc.. The person who lacks the sense to keep guard on their mouth deserves to be beaten. Not that any of us should do the beating, because then that makes us on the side of lacking sense.

14 Wise men store up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool is near ruin.

A wise person studies God's word and things that are not incompatable with God's word so that when it's needed the Holy Spirit can bring it to remembrance when the wisdom found in it is needed. The mouth of the fool though, studies useless things that will not help him at all and will only bring him to ruin.

15 The wealth of a rich man is a strong city. Poverty is the ruin of the poor.

This refers to the common mistakes both of rich and poor, as to their outward condition. Rich people's wealth exposes them to many dangers; while a poor man may live comfortably, if he is content, keeps a good conscience, and lives by faith.~Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Bible~

16 The wages of the righteous are life. The income of the wicked is sin.

The righteous seeks to support themselves and their family, and also to have enough to share with the poor. The wicked, don't care about taking care of their families, teaching them values and spiritual lessons but cheat their way through life, often at the expense of the poor.

17 One who heeds discipline is on the path of life, but whoever ignores correction goes astray.

There's that word discipline again. :) When we listen and do and train ourselves in discipline whether physically, mentally, emotionally, or spiritually, it brings life. When we ignore these things though, it goes all cattywompus.

18 One who conceals hatred has lying lips, and whoever spreads slander is a fool.

He that hideth - This is a common case. How many, when full of resentment, and deadly hatred, meditating revenge and cruelty, and sometimes even murder, have pretended that they thought nothing of the injury they had sustained; had passed by the insult, etc.! Thus lying lips covered the malevolence of a wicked heart.~Adam Clarke Commentary~

Of course this means that we "forgive". We don't hold on to hatred and resentments. We FORGIVE, period.

19 When words abound, transgression is unavoidable. but whoever restrains his lips is wise.

Simply put, oten, we talk too much. I'm working on this one myself. I want to explain myself, I want to make sure that my point is received. They don't have to accept it, but I tend to continue on and on and on, just trying to make sure they at least understand what it is I'm saying. It rarely works out well for me when I do that. :(

20 The tongue of the righteous is choice silver. The heart of the wicked is of little value.

The righteous will "build" and it will be productive. The wicked speak whatever comes into their heads and end up destroying other people. Lot's of words without any value.

21 The lips of the righteous feed many, but fools die for lack of understanding.

Kind of on the same lines as verse 20. Let your mouth speak words of life, not words of death. Don't speak "your" truth over others where you're telling them how aweful or stupid, or dumb, etc. they are. Build them up. Speak God's words over them. Let them be glad when they hear you speak, and not wishing you would shut up.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Dread Or Hope
Prov 10:22-32

22 The blessing of Adonai brings wealth and He adds no trouble with it.

When God blesses us with whatever it is we are blessed with, He adds no troubles that come along with it. When we experience troubles in our blessings, it is something that we have done that brings those troubles on. Such as with Solomon, God gave him great understanding and wisdom, yet in all that Solomon still chose. several times, to go the way of the wicked, which in turn brought him great sorrrow.

Solomon could not blame God for his sorrow but it was Solomon's ability to know the right way and not do it that was deficient (James 4:17). Solomon chose the way's of experience over the knowledge of what that experience would bring and doing it anyway.

23 As doing wickedness is delight to a fool, so is wisdom to a man of discernment.

The wicked delight in their wicked doings and it all shows how foolish they are. A wise person though, through their discernment, takes delight in that discernment, knowing that it keeps them from doing stupid things.

24 What the wicked dread will fall on them. The desire of the righteous will be given.

The wicked have all kinds of dread. They fear failure, poverty, having no friends, etc., and they end up experiencing it all due to their foolishness. If the foolish is rich in "things", they are poor in integrity and dignity. What they fear is ever present in their life, then when they stand before God and their works are judged, it will all burn up. With the righteous though, their righteous eternal desires will be given them.

25 When the whirlwind passes, the wicked are no more, but the foundation of the righteous is everlasting.

Bad things happen to us all. When it all passes though, the wicked will be wiped away but with the rightesous, their foundation is everlasting. Remember the parable of the wise man and the foolish man? See Matt 7:24-27.

26 Like vinegar to the teeth or smoke to the eyes, so is a slacker to those who send him.

The sluggard is an irritant to their employer. You are paid to work, not play games on the computer, chat, sleep, etc..

27 The fear of Adonai prolongs life, but the years of the wicked are cut short.

The reverential awe and respect of the Lord brings us life but those who live wickedly have their lives cut shorter than if they had listened and gone with God's ways.

28 The prospect of the righteous is joy, but the hope of the wicked perishes.

The hope of the righteous is everlasting joy, the wicked have no hope. They will spend an eternity where there is no hope.

29 The way of Adonai is a stronghold to the upright, but it is a ruin to those who do evil.

Obedience to God brings strength and it grows stronger as we practice it. But for the one's who know what is right and don't do it, they only experience ruin.

30 The righteous will never be uprooted, but the wicked will not dwell in the land.

We can trust in Yeshua for our salvation and true trust will produce righteousness and that will never be torn away from us. However, the wicked, those who refuse to trust to the point of obedience will NOT dwell in HIS Kingdom. Just repeating a prayer after someon does not save you. You, yourself, must commit to Yeshua, putting your faith and trust in Him for your salvation, knowing that nothing you can do will save you, only His shed blood on the cross does that. True repentance, does bring the desire to change and a dependency on Him to help you do it.

Of course we ALL struggle, we all fall short, but it is that faith and trust in Yeshau and what He did on the cross for us that brigns us to the place of desireing to follow Him. There is no condemnation to those who are IN (who are completely trusting and self-disciplining to the best of their ability vs just throwing it all to the wind and whatever happens happens) so as to fail less frequently. See Rom 7.

Paul does not tell us what his wrestlings were, but we see in Rom 7 that he did indeed have them. He did not buckle to them though, he fought against them with all he had and he had the hope that through Yeshua Messiah, he would overcome. Not by his strength but by the strength of Yeshua.

31 The mouth of the righteous bears the fruit of wisdom, but a perverse tongue will be cut out.

Good people say wise things and people listen. People stop listening though to someone who speaks but then it only brings trouble. Learn to stop running at the mouth, talking just to talk.

32 The lips of the righteous know what is pleasing, but the mouth of the wicked is perverse.

As followers of Yeshua, we should not speak perverse things. That does not mean that we cannot discuss important issues even if if they are discusting, however, the subject is treated with respect and not dirty talk and degrading talk, and tearing others down and destroying. Be honest, but don't be crass.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Integrity
Prov 11:1-6

1 Dishonest scales are an abomination to Adonai, but an accurate weight is His delight.

It use to be that stones were used as a means of weighing things in the marketplace. When weighing a product often an extra stone would be added to the scale causing a 1 lb bag of produce to weigh more than was actually there.

When the scales became a bit more sophisticated the sellers would put the bags on the scale then press their finger on the scale adding weight to it so as to charge the person for more than they were actually getting. This of course is dishonest and God tells us to deal honestly with others. See Deut 25:13-16; Lev 19:35-36; Eze 45:10. That was part of the problem when Yeshua chased the sellers and moneychangers (Matt 21:12-13) out of the Temple, they were selling defective animals and charging more for them than was honest.

Be honest in business dealing and in everyday life. Don't sell something and claim it does things it does not. Don't sell a car without being honest about anything that is wrong with it.

2 When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.

This kind of pride referred to here is more like conceit. Someone thinking they are better than another person because of stature in the community, or the school you went to, or how much money you have, or whatever. When we get to a place where we think we're better than the other person for whatever reason it becomes a disgrace to us.

No one is more important than another. We are equal. See Gal 3:26-29. The person who thinks more of themselves than they ought is sure to be brought down in a very public and humiliating way. (Rom 12:3-5)

3 The integrity of the upright guides them, but the crookedness of the treacherous will destroy them.

Honesty is the best policy. Doing the honest thing is a good guide to follow. Dealing dishonestly with people though, is wicked and will bring such crooked behavior down on you as well.
4 Riches make no profit in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death.

Riches can buy a lot of things here on earth but when we stand before God, no one will be able to purchase their salvation with it. Righteousness delivers though, and that righteousness comes only through Yeshua and it's the sacrifice of His life and blood that is the only thing that will deliver us from the death we deserve. (Rom 3:21-24)

5 The righteousness of the blameless man makes his way straight, but the wicked man is brought down by his wickedness.

Psalm 1
1 Happy is the one who has not walked in the advice of the wicked,
nor stood in the way of sinners,
nor sat in the seat of scoffers.
2 But his delight is in the Torah of Adonai,
and on His Torah he meditates day and night.
3 He will be like a planted tree over streams of water,
producing its fruit during its season.
Its leaf never droops—
but in all he does, he succeeds.

It does not work so well for the wicked though. They walk in the advise of others that are wicked, and they go into places they should not be and hang around and try and be friends with those who scoff at God and His ways. They don't delight in His word but think it's out-of-date and needs to be revised. Day and night all they think about is themselves and how they can make more money. He will be planted like a tree in the desert, without water and will die.

6 The righteousness of the upright delivers them, but the treacherous are trapped by their desire.

For those who walk in God's righteousness, they are delivered and guided through all the paths of life. Of course, as Paul wrote in Rom 7 there is a constant battle between good and evil within us, but our faith and trust is in Yeshua and what He did on the cross. That does not leave us to live and walk willy-nilly but to do what we know is right to the best of our ability, self-disciplining and running the race to win the prize. God tells us if we keep our eyes on Him, we will never fall, but that in the event that our eyes stray and we do fall, we allow Him to pick us up and set us back on the path and we continue to run.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Righteousness vs Wickedness
Prov 11:7-15

7 When the wicked dies, his hope perishes, and the hope of the strong vanishes.

Heb 11:1 In the version I memorized it, "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" :) Hope is a wonderful thing and for those who are putting their faith and trust in Yeshua for their salvation, that hope gives us strength to continue on, knowing that when we die, we will see Him face to face. For the wicked though, when they die, their hopes and dreams are just gone...vanished.

8 The righteous is rescued from trouble. Instead it comes on the wicked.

The righteous, depending upon God for HIS rescue will not be disappointed. The wicked who falsely accuse will find their plans backfiring. We see this in a few examples in scripture: Haman being hanged on the gallows he had built for hanging Mordecai (Est 7:8-10) and Daniel's accusers being thrown into the lions den after Daniel was pulled out alive and well (Dan 6:24-25).

9 With his mouth the ungodly destroys his neighbor, but through knowledge the righteous will be delivered.

The wicked plan all kinds of means of tripping up their neighbors. They lie in order to bring them down and to make them appear as evil. However, those who are close to God are given knowledge that will help them escape the snare set before them. One example in scripture is when Joseph, the earthly father of Yeshua was warned in a dream telling him to go to Egypt to protect Yeshua from Herod (Matt 2:13).

One example I have personally is the time that I came home from work and there was a group of children playing near my apartment stairway that I had never seen before. As I got out of my car and started to walk toward the stairs, I clearly heard a voce loudly tell me to "put your arms in the air". Well, as I immediately did so, one of the little girls playing grabbed me around the legs and began stomping her feet and screaming. Of course the usual reaction is to reach down and remove the child from me, but this voice had just commanded me to "put my arms in the air", so there I stood.

After a moment or so, I heard another voice calling the kids and another girl that was there called the girl clinging to me to "come on, let's go" and she let go of me. I looked over to toward the voice that had called them and there was a woman on another apartment block balcony with a camera. Appairently, she was planning to get a picture of me with my hands on her child and the story she would give would be very different from the truth. God knew her plans though, and He protected me from her wicked plans.

I don't know who's voice it was that i heard tell me to put my hands in the air, God, Yeshua, the Holy Spirit, or an angel, but I'm thankful I heard them and obeyed.

10 When the righteous do well, a city rejoices. When the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy.

When a righteous person gains wealth they share it and the people they share it with rejoice when the righteous does well. However, when a wicked person dies, the people they burdened with their wickedness rejoice that they are gone.
11 Through the blessing of the upright a city is exalted, but by the mouth of the wicked it is destroyed.

"The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous person avails much". See Jmes 5:16. When we are living righteously and we pray it moves mountains. See also Gen 18:23-33. Through the prayers of one man, whose faith was accounted to him as righteousness God was willing to save an entire city of wicked people if just a few other righteous people could be found in it.

12 One who despises his neighbor lacks sense, but one with discernment remains silent.

A foolish person jumps on every flaw in his neighbor. They continuously expose the shortcomings and faults of others in order to make themselves look good. However, a wise person will help in building up a person in their shortcomings and help build up their strengths. They don't go blabbing to everyone that so-n-so falls short here and they miss it there. In things that cannot be conceiled they are still kind and try to help instead of tear down.

13 A gossip reveals secrets, but one who is trustworthy conceals a matter.

A gossip not only reveals the secrets of others, but their own secrets as well. TMI (Too Much Information) to the max. Being trustworthy is important. People who trust you need to be assured that what they tell you will not be blabbed all over town. We know about David and Bathsheba committing adultery, but no one (that we know of) went around posting it all over Facebook, or putting flyers on everyones homes and chariotts about David's sin. There was no one trying to bring David down off his throne.

In the event that someone's secret is a danger to someone else, now that's different. If you know that someone in your church is a child molestor, it is reckless to not tell the powers that be (the minister in charge, not the whole congregation) so that person will deal with it properly and the person will not be allowed to be alone with children.

14 Without guidance people fall, with many counselors there is deliverance.

Advise and council from godly people is good. Take advice from those who are living righteously and love and serve God. Don't take advise from those who are swindler's and cheats. Listening and learning from those who are godly and who are successful without wickedness is beneficial. I don't know that this applies to every situation though. We should bring it to God first, and allow ourselves to hear His council. Don't just run around asking everyone else what they suggest, that can often bring more confusion.

15 Whoever puts up security for a stranger will have trouble, but whoever avoids shaking hands on such a deal is secure.

Don't partner with someone you do not know. Doing so will only bring you trouble and in avoiding it you are secure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Righteous or Ruthless
Prov 11:16-31

16 A gracious woman gains honor, but ruthless men seize riches.

Gracious: pleasantly kind, benevolent, and courteous. The opposite of gracious of course would be, crass, unkind, stingy, and rude. We see opposite of gracious in many women in today's world. Graciousness brings honor to the woman and if she's married, that graciousness will often bring grace to her husband who may be cruel and merciless. One such example I can think of in scripture would be Abigail.

17 A kind man does his own soul good, but a cruel man harms his own flesh.

We can see here that graciousness is not just expected for women. Men of God are expected to be kind and in so doing he's doing good for himself. When he's cruel and unkind, or when he hurts his wife or if he's not married and has his hands all over his girlfriend, he's doing harm to his own flesh. See Paul's comments to how our behavior shoud be in Phil 2:1-4.

18 The wicked earn deceptive wages, but a sower of righteousness reaps a true reward.

This one makes me think of Paul's words to the Galatians, "Whatever a man sows, he will reap". Gal 6:7. Deceptive ways will bring deceptive people into your life and you will also be deceived by them. Plus you will also be deceived by the enemy. The person who sows righteousness will reap righteousness from God.

19 Steadfast righteousness leads to life, but pursuing evil ends in death.

Remaining steadfast and not becoming weary and giving up in doing well will lead to life. I think of Abraham when he was promised more sons than the stars. The son that was promised was to come though his wife Sarah but he gave up and tried to do it another way and ended up creating heartache for generations. But then he got back on track and trusted God and many years later, the son of promise was born.

20 Perverse hearts are an abomination to Adonai. His favor is on those blameless in their ways.

To be perverse is to willfully determine to go the opposite way of what God's instructs. Doing this is an abomination, something that is vile, shameful, and detestable to God. His favor is NOT on the perverse and while they may be successful for a while, their wickedness will soon be exposed. Adonai's favore is on the blameless though. The ways of the blameless are directed by HIS word. Who are the blameless? For those who've put their faith and trust (meaning they are walking in faith in the ways of God) in Yeshua and their sins are forgiven and covered by His blood, they are :clap:.

21 Be sure, the evil will not go unpunished, but the offspring of the righteous will be delivered.

Evil will not go unpunished. Even if it does not happen until they stand befoe God, it will not go unpunished. For the righteous though, their righteousness can be a deliverence even for their offspring.

The seed of the righteous, that follow the steps of their righteousness, though they may fall into trouble, shall, in due time, be delivered. Though justice may come slowly to punish the wicked, and mercy may come slowly to save the righteous, yet both will come surely. Sometimes the seed of the righteous, though they are not themselves righteous, are delivered for the sake of their godly ancestors, as Israel often, and the seed of David. ~Matthew Henry~
A scriiptural example I can think of on a human level is David and Jonathan. Jonathan wsthe son of Saul who did evil to David. David and Jonathan were close friends and Jonathan protected David. Later David took care of Jonathan's son Mephibosheth.

22 Like a gold ring in a pig’s snout is a beautiful woman who lacks discretion.

This is one of my favorites, I think of it a lot when I see some of these famous women flaunting themselves around in almost no clothes and parading themselves around and talking crassly and being rude and obnoxious, like she's really something. Well according to this proverb, she's something alright. She's like a gold ring in the nose of a pig.

Think about it ladies. Even in churches, some of you girls are wearing clothes where your breasts are hanging out and your butt cheeks are showing and you are deliberately trying to entice the boys. Showing off "the girls" and everything else ya got. And, if you're getting handsy with the boys you are just as wrong as they are when they do it. Don't be trashy in action or dress or talk. Trashy is indiscrete. You can be in style without being like a gold ring in a pigs nose.

iu

23 The desire of the righteous is only good, but the hope of the wicked only wrath.

The righteous person desires only good things. They desire to walk in God's ways and to serve HIM with all their heart and soul. Their hope is in Yeshua. The wicked though, their only hope is the wrath of God.

24 One gives freely, yet gains even more. Another withholds unjustly, and comes to poverty.

Giving freely brings the blessings of heaven down on you. See Paul's letter to the Phillippeans. He talks a lot of the generosity of the Phillippeans and what a blessing it was to him. He incouraged them to be givers. Those who withhold, who are able to give but refuse will come to poverty in one way or another, be it financially, mentally, spiritually, etc..
25 A soul who blesses will prosper, and one who gives water will himself be satisfied.

This proverb follows the previous one. If you seek to bless others with words of wisdom or helps, or whatever you have, you will prosper...especially in that area of giving. One kind of minor example I can think of is that I use my stash of yarn to knit hat's and scarves for the homeless and anyone else who needs it. I give them through a local church. In turn, it seems I have an abundance of yarn that just keeps coming my way. I came home one time to find a large trash bag full of yarn just sitting on my door step.

A scriptural example that came to mind is found in 1 kings 17:10-16. A jar of flour and oil was all the woman had in her house yet she was willing to give what she had, and the words of the Prophet Elijah came to pass.

26 People curse anyone withholding grain, but blessing is on the head of one who dispenses it.

Storing up your food and withholding it from those in need will only cause people to curse you. But for those willing to share there are many blessings. Now, I don't necessarily think this means we're suppose to give out to those who are lazy and just not wanting to get their own. In the story of the 10 virgins, 5 had only enough for themselves, and were not able to share any with those who had negleted to bring enough.

I don't believe it's expected to hurt ourselves to help someone who was neglectful. With the story of Elijah, she was planning to make two small cakes for her and her son so they could eat it then die of hunger. Elijah asked for her instead to make a small cake for him first then make two smaller cakes out of what she had left. She was willing. She used what she had to make three cakes. As a true Prophet of God he promised that her giving to him would bring to her and her household all that was needed to survive until the rain came. Knowing that Elijah was a Prophet of God, I think she'd have lost out on the blessing if she's refused to do what he asked.

27 A person who diligently seeks good finds favor, but to one who searches for evil, evil comes to him!

It is good to seek to do good. Look for ways to do good. Study God's word to find good things to encourage people, etc.. Those who search for ways to cheat and lie and get the edge over others only brings evil upon himself.

28 Whoever trusts in his riches will fall, but the righteous will flourish like a green leaf.

If we put our trust in how much money we have saved up and we don't put our trust in God who gave it to us in the first place, we will fall flat on our hindends. I'm reminded of the parable Yeshua told in Luke 12:16-21. The man thought he was secure in his riches, but was not rich in God.

29 Whoever troubles his own household will inherit wind, and the fool will be a servant to the wise-hearted.

This is a very stern warning to the man who upsets his own houshold with his ill-temper and meaness.

There are many ways in which this may be done. A man may, by the violence and irritability, the peevishness, fretfulness, and selfishness of his temper; he may by his avarice on the one hand, or by his reckless prodigality on the other--involving his family in starvation and suffering by opposite means; he may by intemperance, with all its horrid attendants; he may by sloth, and idleness, and indisposition to work, trouble his own house. “He shall inherit the wind.” The expression is a very strong one. Could any words more impressively convey the idea of loss, disappointment, and ultimate destitution and beggary? The result the man deserves. A man’s family is his first charge from heaven, and ought to be his chief and constant solicitude. The only evil to be lamented is that he brings the destitution upon them as well as himself. (R. Wardlaw.)

30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and whoever wins souls is wise.

The fruit of the righteous is a continual inspiration to those they come in contact with. God blesses the righteous so they can be a blessing to others. Always seek to bring others to relationship to God. Not in a loud and obnoxious way (we never see Paul or any of the other disciples being obnoxious in Acts), yet many think that is the only way to evangelize. They don't think of their lifestyle and it's being pleasing to God and drawing others in or driving them away.

31 If the righteous is rewarded on earth, how much more the wicked and the sinner!

Pretty straight forward I think. If God rewards the righteous while they are on earth, the wicked will also receive their earnings of wickness.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Righteous and The Wicked
Prov 12:1-9

1 Whoever loves knowledge loves correction, but whoever hates reproof is stupid.

I'm not sure this means that we should accept correction from every Tom, Dick, and Mary that comes up to us and says, "You know what your problem is?" If the person asked for correction, that's one thing, but just having a person say, "Here's what you're doing wrong" does not usually go over very well. It's important to not be rude, but we don't have to nor should we accept the help of people just because they offer to tell us what our problem is.

However, when we see that something we're doing needs correction but we don't know what it is, then it's good to ask someone who's got it down. Whether it's our golf stroke or our ability to follow God, we all need help and instruction in something. Don't try and hide it and pretend all is well, find someone who can/will help and guide you, especially in the things of God. We can see in scripture that Timothy in Phil 2:19-24 learned from Paul, as well as Epaphroditus, in Phil 2:25-30. The Prophet Elisha also lerned from the Prophet Elijah.

2 A good man obtains favor from Adonai, but He condemns a person with evil schemes.

For those who are walking in God's ways as best they understand and can, Adonai has favor on them. The person who plans evil though, Adonai condemns them. Pretty much whatever they do, it will not succeed, at least not for long. Again we see this exampled for us in Esther. God gave great favor to Mordecai, but contually thwarted the plans of Haman. (Esther) It's a short book, take the time to read it. :) If the Veggitales version of this event is the only version you know :doh:, please, please, please, read it for yourself.

3 No one is made secure by wickedness, but a righteous root will not be moved.

There is no security in being wicked. Robbing, looting, rioting, lying, killing, none of those offer any security for life. They are all only temporary and only bring the same type of treatment back onto you. A righteous heart though is imovable. It has God's blessing's. He will be like a tree planted by the rivers of water that will not be moved. See Ps 1:3.

4 A virtuous wife is her husband’s crown, but a dishonoring one is like rottenness in his bones.

The woman a man chooses for his wife will either bring him honor or dishonor. She may be beautiful on the outside, but what is she like on the inside? Is she kind and gentle, or rude and crass? Is she trying to follow God and HIS ways or is her attitude, "I was born this way".

Of course this applies to a woman chooseing a husband as well. Does he love the things of God? Or is he seeking money? Is he/she bad tempered or selfish? Beauty and strength fade but a man/woman of God will last a lifetime. Again, I'm reminded of Abigail. Her husband nearly got the family killed because of his brash and rude behavior toward David and his men. She responded with great grace and saved them all.

5 The plans of the righteous are just,but the counsels of the wicked are deceitful.

Don't trust in the council of un-believing, non-God fearing people. While they may not be trying to trip you up, their wisdom does not come from God. They may be of help, but don't depend on it, they will guide you on the basis of their own understanding, not God's. (See 1 Cor 2:16)
6 The words of the wicked lie in wait for blood, but the mouth of the upright delivers them.

The words spoken by a wicked person are perverse. They lie and bear false witness and are smooth to convince others to follow them in the evil they are doing. The words of a righteious person though seek to keep a person from harm. Here I think of Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5:1-11). They lied about how much they were giving by saying they were giving it all when they had not given it all. As far as I can tell through scripture, they had not been required to give it all but were saying they had in order to make themselves look better.

7 The wicked are overthrown and are no more, but the household of the righteous will stand.

An example in scripture of this is found with Noah. The household of the righteous Noah and his wife and son's were delivered from the flood. The wicked though, were overcome immediately by the earth opening up and gushing forth and heaven dumping water in one fell swoosh and then raining heavily and stadily for 40 days and 40 nights.

8 A man is praised according to his insight, but one with a twisted mind is despised.

A person with wisdom is greatly respected...one who is twisted and thinks of evil things and misrepresents what is said and done iss despised. We can certainly see that in today's world with the media. There was a particular incident with Solomon that happened which showed his great wisdom. See 1 Kings 3:16-28. Solomon knew that the real mother would not allow her baby to be killed.

9 Better to have little honor and a servant than to have glory and no bread.

"Better is a man of humble standing who works for himself than one who plays the great man but lacks bread" (RSV).

"The point seems to be that some people live beyond their means in a vain show ... whereas, if they lived modestly, they could have some of the conveniences of life, e.g, a servant." [Note: Ross, p969.]

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Caring For Animals And Land
Prov 12:10-12

10 A righteous person cares for the life of his animal, yet even the compassion of the wicked is cruel.

One of the marks of a righteous person is they are merciful. Not to just people but to their animals as well. In Ex 20:10 God commanded that even the animals had a day of rest. In Ex 23:4-5 we're told that if we find our neighbors animal roaming we are to take it back to the neighbor. If it belongs to a neighbor who hates us, and the animal is weighed down under burden we are to help unload the burden from the animal.

There are many scriptures about caring for animals. When it was necessary for an animal to be killed, God gave very specific instructions on how to kill the animal so that it died instantly and painlessly. Being cruel to an animal or any other of God's creatures is a sign of wickedness. God cares about HIS creation...all of it.

See Ethical Treatment of Animals in Judaism for further insight.

11 The one who works his land will have plenty of food, but whoever chases daydreams lacks sense.

We are expected to work with what we have, however meager it may be. God is our provider and HE blesses the fruit of our hands. See Ps 128:1-2. When someone just sit's around daydreaming though and not following through or even attempting to provide for themselves they have no sense. They are foolish and wicked.

12 The wicked covets the loot of evil men, but the root of the righteous flourishes.

This is pretty much in full display in today's world. Wicked people riioting and looting, then others joining in because they want Nike shoes too, or big screen TV's, or whatever people steal just because it's there. The root of a righteous person though will flourish. They receive righteous gain. They are blessed in their innerds, while the wicked is rotting in their innards.

Note: I'd like to remind that those who have come to Yeshua in faith and trust for the forgiveness of their sins, are made righteous through Yeshua. When we see signs of wickedness in our self, and we will, it is a clue that we need to draw even closer to Him and seek His face for change in us. It is impossible to change on our own, it requires His help. See Rom 7.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Fruit of Our Mouth
Prov 12:13-23

13 An evil one is ensnared by the sin of lips, but the righteous one escapes trouble.

The sins of our lips are the words of cursing and lies that our uttered by our lips. See Ps 59:13 *. In Jams 3:7-12 James addresses the mouth that speaks blessings and curses and says should not be coming from the mouth of those who are believers. Are we speaking blessings or curses pr bptj to those around us? What about our spouce, or our children, our parents, anyone? Are we speaking death or life? According to this proverb we are ensnared by the sins of our lips. Let's work on taming our lips. It's important.

* In Jewish versions of scripture this is verse 13 but in other versions it is verse 12. This is due to the notation at the beginning of the chapter giving instruction as to who the Psalm is for. The Jewish versions include that notation as verse 1, where other versions do not.

14 By the fruit of his mouth a man will be satisfied with good. The work of a man’s hands will reward him.

For speech to be good it must be sincere, truthful, and benevolent. For us to receive we have to give. We should not be expecting to get money if we don't work in some way or another. It is by our efforts in earning our own way that we will receive the reward of our work. Such as, if you plant cucumbers, you can expect a harvest of cucumbers, etc..

15 A fool’s way is right in his own eyes, but the wise listen to advice.

A fool does not seek advise from others who've gone before him. He does not read the scripture telling him the right way to live he just does whatever seems right to him. However, it's a wise person who searches the scriptures and talks with others who are living the believers life successfully.

16 A fool shows his irritation immediately, but a prudent person overlooks an insult.

I personally have come a long way in this one. I've noticed that when I'm in close relationship with God, I may notice that a person just insulted me, but I overlook it. When my attention is drawn away from God, I notice that I get really irritated when the insult comes and I pull up that emotional sword and shiled and I'm ready to fight. Not a good look for me...or anyone for that matter.

I'm reminded of Ps 119:165. In the version I memorized it, it says, "they that love thy word are not offended by anything". Eek. First clue that time with God needs to be taken.

17 A trustworthy witness tells what is right, but a false witness, deceit.

This is pretty straight forward I think. Are we a trustworthy witness? Do we bring life or death? (Prov 18:21) If you are a witness to something are you trustworthy? Do you say you saw something that you didn't? That is deceitful and makes us a false witness. We can only tell what we know to be right, and we should do it.

18 Reckless speech is like the thrusts of a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

Reckless speech...I think we hear a lot of reckless speech in today's world. Even in the church. People talk just to talk. There's gossip, slander, not listening to each other, the rioters are screaming at people who are just trying to talk with them, many people say WAY more than they need to and go WAY too deep when witnessing, etc.. Too much talk and often saying nothing and only bringing confusion, and creating strife.

The tongue of the wise though, brings healing. I covet that. Frequently, I am too wordy and don't always say things in a way that brings healing. More time with God is needed.

19 Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue for only a moment.

A liar may be believed for awhile, but soon it will be found out that the tall tales are just not true. I use to have a friend who made up all kinds of stories of things that happened to her, but many of them were not true. Soon, people stopped believing anything she said. I'm reminded of the story Boy Who Cried Wolf.

20 Deceit is in the heart of those who plot evil, but those promoting shalom have joy.

Deceitful people are always plotting evil, but God's children promote peace and as a result they have peace and they have joy. Rom 14:17 (the version way I memorized it) "The Kingdom of God is not meat or drink, but righteousness, peace, and joy".

21 No harm befalls the righteous, but the wicked are full of misery.

I don't believe that this is saying at all that nothing bad will ever happen to a righteous person..."The rain falls on the just and the unjust" (Matt 5:44-45) We can't have enemies, or be persecuted without probably something bad happening to us. However:

From the Adam Clarke Commentary: There shall no evil happen to the just - No, for all things work together for good to them that love God. Whatever occurs to a righteous man God turns to his advantage. But, on the other hand, the wicked are filled with mischief: they are hurt, grieved, and wounded, by every occurrence; and nothing turns to their profit.
For the wicked, everything is destruction for them. If not physically, there is destruction emotionally and spiritually. They are not at peace, and their joy is superficial. It only lasts until the next threat or disaster.

22 Lying lips are detestable to Adonai, but those who act faithfully are His delight.

I think the main point in not having lying lips is that God hates deceipt for the purpose of gaining a one-up on someone...things spoken or left unspoken that will bring harm to an innocent person by their not knowing what they are not being told. Such as selling a car and not telling the buyer things that are wrong with it, etc..

Now, what I'm about to say may sound contradictory, however, I do think there are some exceptions, such as in the case where giveing all the facts will bring death or harm to an innocent person. ( See Lev 19:16)

There are many examples in scripture where people who had saved the lives of innocent people by lying were considered to have done a good act: The midwives in Exodus 1:15-21, Rahab lying about hiding the spies, Elisha lied to an army to get them to go in the wrong direction. It's in the saving of an innocent life, not your hiney from getting into trouble and/or just deceiving. Study it out for yourself though, don't just accept what I say. I could be wrong.

23 A clever person conceals his knowledge, but the heart of a fool blurts out folly.

There are many reasons one may be wise to conceal knowledge that is not for the purpose of evil intent:
  1. It's not the appropriate time: Jhn 16:12
  2. When it's above the heads of the hearers: 1 Cor 2:1-2
  3. When it's likely to be misapplied: Mrk 15:2-5
  4. When certain it will be rejected and mocked: Matt 7:6
  5. When you know it will cause your neighbor injury: Lev 19:16
  6. When it's for self-display: Prov 27:2
Sometimes, we just don't need to say anything. There is argument on who actually penned the quote but, "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" would apply here. :)

We are not to deceive and bring harm to others, neither do we reveal so much information that we also bring harm to them.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Diligence Or Sloth
Prov 12:24-28

24 The hand of the diligent will rule, but the lazy will become forced labor.

Being deligent in what we are able to do, whatever it is, no matter how big and/or menial, is expected. We should never just lie back and allow ourselves to shrivel up mentally, emotionally, spiritually, or physically. I know there are situations where accomplishing tasks in the normal way is just not possible. But, in today's world there are many opportunities available to all people that just were not possible in earlier times. The point is to not be slothful. Don't be Sid the Sloth.

I have a personal friend who was born with a disease that kept him in a wheelchair. As a little boy he would use a devise that would do his talking for him, but through diligence he is now speaking on his own. It's difficult to understand him a lot of times, but he still tries and works on it.

He use to not be able to talk at all...all he could do was make noices, but now, even though he's sometimes difficult to understand he sometimes gives the messages in church. On his FB page he gives message videos of incouragement to others.

On the side, he's learning how to strengthen his leg and arm muscles and he's now in a walker where he pushes himself with struggle, to strengthen his leg muscles...it's a painful process, but he does it. He's gone to business school and is now working as a Marketing Coordinator in a tourist town in Florida. He loves God and is always, always happy and joyful, even through discouragement.

For those who are just plain slothful and don't want to work, and get your support thorugh deceiptful means, you are bringing curses upon yourself.

From The Biblical Illistrator:

The natural estate of man is labour. Toil was the requirement of paradise. God’s Word recognises the universal law of work. “Toil is prayer”; and the Christian learns from the record of God’s will that honest, faithful, diligent, God-fearing and God-honouring work is itself a worship acceptable to the great All-worker. God enjoins diligence upon us by precept and by example. About us, all things perform their allotment of work, and do it promptly and without a thought of delay. God teaches men by His own ceaseless workings through ten thousand ever-busy forces, and revelation utters the same bidding to unremitting toil. For labour is the tenure of God’s gifts to man. It is thus the requirement of Christian duty that we should not be slothful in business. Promises of reward cluster around the fulfilment of this command. Diligent hands are speedily rendered expert. The diligent hand teaches and trains the wary and observing eye. God works no miracles on behalf of the drones of society. And the hand of the diligent shall bear rule, as Joseph the faithful slave-boy found, and Daniel the captive Hebrew boy. Another reward of the diligent is honour and renown. “He shall stand before kings.” Illustrate by the cases of Benjamin Franklin and William Carey. Learn that sloth and idleness are expressly forbidden; and so is that undue and overwrought exertion which marks the man greedy of gain. Riches are to be valued as means, not as an end. (Bp. Stevens Perry.)
25 An anxious heart weighs one down, but a good word cheers him up.

There are many anxious people in the world and for very good reason. Many are out of work, they've lost their jobs and now they're stuck at home trying to figure out how to pay the bills. Family members have gotten sick from the virus and many have died and they have not even been allowed not only to be with their loved ones when they were dying but are now not even alloed to bury them and have funerals. Even if you are in that situation, be someone who is an encourager, even to your self.

Be someone who helps where you can help. Keep a good attitude and know that if you have put your faith and trust in Yeshua for salvation that He has everything under control. Don't be flippant though with others fears but do incourage them. Don't tout that, "Too Blessed To Be Stressed", comment, it's cruel and unrealistic. Just incouage, like Yeshua did when He said (paraphrased) "If our Heavenly Father is concerned about the birds of the air and makes sure they are fed how much more will he make sure that you are fed". See Matt 6:25-34.
26 The righteous gives his friend guidance, but the way of the wicked leads astray.

I see this as one that follows verse 25. Don't be someone who's friend just want's to confide and get things off his chest who comes up with things they "should do" in order to make it better. That can be extremly irritating. Until they say, "what do you suggest?" they are not asking for advise, they are just venting. Just listen, and when they ask, then guide them in accordance with God's word. Don't ask advise from someone who does not rely on God though, because the advise you get will lead you astray in one way or another. Get your advise and guidence from a godly person and of course study the Word of God for yourself, so that you can receive guidence from HIM.
27 A lazy person does not roast his game, but a diligent person prizes his possessions.

Another good one from the Biblical Illistrator:
He is too lazy to cook what he does catch. The excitement of the chase is over, he is weary with dragging home his game, so the gun goes into one corner and the game into another, while the man proceeds--with a celerity which would be praiseworthy were it rightly applied--to forget all about it. He waits for the next excitement. His activity has procured no benefits to himself or any one else. There are many people who lose their labour through a disinclination to put the finishing touch to their work. Under excitement they secure certain results, which, if gathered up and made permanent, would be of immense value. But then they get weary, indifferent. They let things slide--to use an expression of the populace. All they have done gradually undoes itself. For lack of but one stone--the keystone--the arch falls. This is the application: When you commence a thing, cease not until you have gathered up the results of your labour in some form of practical and present benefit to your fellow-men. (D. C. Gilmore.)
The bottom line is, don't be lazy. :sleep: Don't let laziness be a lifestyle. Do today what you are able to do today (I need to work more on that one myself :sorry:)
28 In the path of righteousness is life—it is a path to immortality.

Our righteousness is found in Yeshua. Once we truely put our faith and trust in Him and the shedding of His blood on the cross to cover our sins and pay the debt owed, we are secure in Him and what He did. We are still expected though to not be lazy in our walk in His will and way. These actions do not save us, however, they are proof that we are: See Ya'akov (James) 2:14-26. James is not just talking about doing nice things for people, he's talking about walking in obedience and love for God and HIS word.

Ok, so this is the song that came to mind as I was finishing up this portion. LOL Using our work time to sing and or whistle as we work is a good thing. I know it's probably old fashion with play lists and all but I listen to music online. Here are a few of my favorite radio stations I like to listen to while I work: Z88.3: Christian radio out of Florida, Chavah Messianic Radio, Jah Roots Radio: Christian Reggae.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Guarding Integrity
Prov 13:1-16

1 A wise son heeds his father’s discipline, but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke.

If your parents brought you up in the ways of the Lord you probably have no struggle in listening to their council. Ultimately though, it is your choice what you decide to do. A child who has been brought up to live as they please and they were never disciplined or taught the right way will only scoff at any advise their parents may try to give later. They also tend to not listen to what God says on issues, instead, explaining it away as out of date and no longer applicable without being able to prove it.
2 From the fruit of a man’s mouth he enjoys good things, but the treacherous crave violence.

Our words, used in the right way produces good things. Those who don't think about what they say and don't regn in their words and just let it fly and then say, "I can't help myself" cause only pain and destruction. They don't really care about others or else they would at least be trying to allow the Ruach HaKhodesh (the Holy Spirit) to give them the strength to bridle their tongue. (Jame 3:1-12; Prov 18:21; 1 Pet 3:10-12; Jame 1:26; Prov 12:18; Prov 15:4)

3 He who watches his mouth protects his life, but whoever opens wide his lips comes to ruin.

When we don't watch and control what we say, we bring trouble onto our selves and even others. It brings us to ruin.

4 The slacker’s soul craves, yet has nothing, but the diligent soul will be satisfied.

The slacker (lazy, sloth, etc.) craves to keep up with whatever everyone else has, but they are not willing to do what is righteously necessary to get it. They always want, often times resorting to looting and robbery to get it. The innards of the one who is diligent in working and earning, his innerds are satisfied and he does not waste time dreaming and yearning for what he does not yet have.

5 A righteous person hates lying, but the wicked acts in shameful disgrace.

A righteous person does not enjoy lying, but a wicked person does nothing but lie. I've had people lie to me and tell me stories just to tell them. One person told me they HAD sent some money in the mail to me (which I did not ask for) then every day checked with me to find out if it had arrived yet, then told me they'd gotten it back in the mail due to mailing it to the wrong address, then told me how they'd walked in the snow all the way to the post office to send it again special delivery, then a few day's later told me it was all a lie. ????? Then, when I tried to talk with them about it, blamed me for expecting that they would be telling the truth in the first place. Huh?

Unfortunately, I've cone in contact with several people like that, and they claim to be Christians. I cannot judge their hearts, but by their actions something is seriously off. Telling stories just to tell them. It's shameful to them.

6 Righteousness guards one who walks in integrity, but wickedness overthrows the sinner.

Moral evil produces catastrophic consequences. It uses up what the person has, it kills their reputation, it causes health problems, it hastens their dying, and they have no one to blame but themselves. Wickedness overthrows (crush, dethrone, vanquish, etc.) the one who practices it.

7 One pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth.

Many people just plain covet too much. They are not satisfied with what God has already given them. All their efferts go to getting what they don't yet have...bigger, better, more. Then there are some who are rich and can give if they want to but they go on and on about hard times and don't want to give anything because they may need it.

From Coffman's Commentary on The Bible:

"Some people drive a Cadillac automobile to impress the neighbors, when they can't really afford it, but there are also very wealthy people who complain of their financial hardships to avoid appeals for contributions. A member of a church where I preached was very wealthy; but he gave less than most of the others and was always talking about how hard times were."

8 A man’s riches may ransom his life, but a poor person hears no threat.

A rich person encounters many troubles, threats, blackmail, beggers, etc.. A poor person though, there is no reason to kidnap, blackmail, or beg from them, they don't have any money to pay.

9 The light of the righteous shines brightly. The lamp of the wicked is snuffed out.

The righteous, those who are trusting in the actions of Yeshua at the cross have the true light living in them. As we walk in His ways we cannot hide it..the light is gonna shine. What is in the unrighteous though is only darkness.

10 Arrogance yields nothing but strife. Wisdom belongs to those who take advice.

Arrogance, only makes others didlike you. They won't come to you for help. They won't confide in you, they won't trust you. Arrogance will make you not seek the help of others when you need it, or when they offer it.

11 Wealth gained by fraud dwindles, but he who gathers by labor increases it.

Getting your belongings by stealing, or cheating others, or any fraudulent way will only bring you more poverty...there will be others doing the same thing to you. Those who do honest work though and earn their things come upon more ways to earn, and sometimes, they are just blessed by others.

12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but longing fulfilled is a tree of life.

When something we are waiting for with anticipation takes a long time to happen, it can become very disheartening and discouraging...waiting for that loved one to return, waiting for that paycheck, waiting for that birthday that makes you an adult. When it finely comes though, the longing is fulfilled and it brings our excitement back.

I can see this in relationship with the return of Yeshua. For hundreds of years now, it's been "Yesua is coming soon". Come Yeshua, come. We long for Him to come so we can see Him face to face and be changed in the twinkling of an eye, and bask in His glory. Right now, we can only imagine, but soon that longing will be fulfilled. :clap:

13 Whoever despises instruction will pay a penalty, but whoever respects a mitzvah will be rewarded.

From the Adam Clarke Commentary:

Whoso despiseth the word - The revelation which God has in his mercy given to man - shall be destroyed; for there is no other way of salvation but that which it points out.

But he that feareth the commandment - That respects it so as to obey it, walking as this revelation directs - shall be rewarded; shall find it to be his highest interest, and shall be in peace or safety, as the Hebrew word ישלם may be translated.

I don't think I could have put it any better. :angel:

14 Wise instruction is a fountain of life, turning one away from snares of death.

To a believer in Yeshua the instructions given us from God are a "fountain of life". They guide our feet and light up our path. They keep us from walking into the snares that lead to death. Listen and do God's instructions.

15 Good understanding wins favor, but the way of the unfaithful is hard.

The way of the unfaithful (the one who rejects Yeshua and His ways) is hard. In Albert Barnes' Notes on The Bible he says:

"The primary meaning of the original word is permanence (compare Deuteronomy 21:4; Micah 6:2). This may be applied as here to the hard dry rock, to running streams, or to stagnant pools. In either case, the idea is that of the barren dry soil, or the impassable marsh, in contrast with the fountain of life, carrying joy and refreshment with it".
Being a dry riverbed spiritually is not a pretty picture. Let us keep that water of the Word flowing in us so that we do not dry up like a dry riverbed.

16 Everyone shrewd acts with knowledge, but a fool flaunts folly.

Shrewd: Astute or sharp in practical matters. A synonum would be the word "wise". Yeshua said, "Be wise as serpents and innocent as doves" (See Matt 10:16). A wise person speaks and acts with knowledge of the situation. A foolish person though, just runs at the mouth and most the time has no clue as to what they are talking about or doing, and everyone but them seems to know it.

As you can probably tell, these studies/teachings are not intended to be extensive and/or exhaustive. I share what comes to my heart as I'm writing and studying it. The word of God is living and active and there are many things we can learn from it. Some seem contradictory but deeper study reveals they are not contradicting each other at all but on studying provide a fuller understanding of God and HIS ways. I would love to hear the insight from my readers as well.

I hope these studies/teachings are causing the readers to consider their lifestyle and bring it before God and allowing Him to test it and show them their score in how they may or may not be measuring up to HIS ideals. Of course, for those who have put their faith in Yeshua our hope is in Him alone and His payment of our debt in full on the cross but as we read in the letters from Paul and the other disciples it is not expected that we live a haphazard life in the same manner as those who have no hope.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Wise and The Foolish
Prov 13:17-25

17 A wicked messenger falls into trouble, but a faithful envoy brings healing.

From Coffman's Commentaries On The Bible:

"This passage refers to the envoy who was an important government official, or to a scribe,"[26] who was entrusted with some important mission. A wicked man in such a position could bring evil upon an entire nation. Solomon, of course, was experienced in the choice of such messengers.
In relating this to our spiritual duties, as believers in Yeshua, we are entrusted with an important mission...to be a trustworthy messenger of the gospel of Yeshua. In our speach and/or in our actions we are to portray Yeshua. A person who proclaims Yeshua yet living in wickedness brings evil on everyone who trusts them. It's important to relay the correct message, not a corrupt one.

18 He who spurns discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever accepts correction will be honored.

A very weak trait is to not be able to accept honest correction. "Pride always goes before a fall" (Prov 16:18). It's difficult, I know :sigh: but we must work at beating that prideful trait into the ground (1 Cor 9:27).

An example from The Biblical Illistrator:

A minister with more zeal than discretion once called on the bishop and belaboured him with rather a harsh denunciation. Instead of showing the man out of the door, the bishop calmly replied, “My dear friend, I do not wonder that they who witness the inconsistencies in my daily conduct should think that I have no religion. I often fear this myself, and I feel very grateful to you for giving me this warning.” This reply was made in such unaffected meekness and sincerity that the visitor at once begged the bishop’s pardon, and always regarded him afterwards as one of the most Christlike Christians he had ever known. He is doubly the fool who not only flings himself into a pit, but resents the friendly hand that tries to help him out of it. (T. G. Cuyler.)

19 A desire fulfilled is sweet to the soul, but fools detest turning away from evil.

Some people enjoy their sin so much they cannot fathom the idea of stopping it. Self denial and self discipline is a foreign idea. In actuality their desires will never be filled in their soul. God has provided for the accomplishment of our desires to take place in a righteous manner. When we choose to do things according to God's plans our desires are met and it brings sweetness to our souls.

20 He who walks with wise men is wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.

When we hang around godly people, we will desire to be more godly and will begin to follow the godly example. When we hang around the foolish, those who ignore what God says and do what they want to, we begin to act like them and will begin to experience the harm that it brings with it.

That does not mean that we cannot ever hang with ungodly people, but the hanging should be done on your ground, not theirs. Business meetings at the strip club is not OK.

21 Misfortune pursues sinners, but prosperity rewards the righteous.

Those who are walking and living in sin will have "bad" running after them. On the other hand, the righteous will have goodness and mercy following them (Ps 23:6)

22 A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children, but a sinner’s wealth is stored up for the righteous.

There are many inheritance worthy things and/or attributes that a man/woman can leave their children. It's not just money, belongings, or land which they may have but there is definetely an inheritance of character. If your character is bad, how can you expect to leave anything but bad character to your children and then they pass it on to their children.

The Biblical Illistrator had a very extensive commentary on this verse but it was too lengthy to post here. I encourage you to check it out for yoursef. It will be worth it.

Matthew Henry touched on it in less words, in Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary On The Bible:

See here, 1. How a good man's estate lasts: He leaves an inheritance to his children's children. It is part of his praise that he is thoughtful for posterity, that he does not lay all out upon himself, but is in care to do well for those that come after him, not by withholding more than is meet, but by a prudent and decent frugality. He trains up his children to this, that they may leave it to their children; and especially he is careful, both by justice and charity, to obtain the blessing of God upon what he has, and to entail that blessing upon his children, without which the greatest industry and frugality will be in vain: A good man, by being good and doing good, by honouring the Lord with his substance and spending it in his service, secures it to his posterity; or, if he should not leave them much of this world's goods, his prayers, his instructions, his good example, will be the best entail, and the promises of the covenant will be an inheritance to his children's children, Psalm 103:17. 2. How it increases by the accession of the wealth of the sinner to it, for that is laid up for the just. If it be asked, How should good men grow so rich, who are not so eager upon the world as others are and who commonly suffer for their well-doing? It is here answered, God, in his providence, often brings into their hands that which wicked people had laid up for themselves. The innocent shall divide the silver, Job 27:16, Job 27:17. The Israelites shall spoil the Egyptians (Exodus 12:36) and eat the riches of the Gentiles, Isaiah 61:6.
23 The fallow field of the poor yields much food, but it is swept away by injustice.

From Commentary Critical and Explanitory on The Whole Bible:

The laboring poor prosper more than those who injudiciously or wickedly strive, by fraud and violence, to supersede the necessity of lawful labor.
Even if we are poor in money and belonging, God blesses the poor person who works faithfully and honestly with what he's got. To the sloth and lazy and dishonest, they lose their hard work by fraud and violence. They think they have enough so they don't work the whole field, or the whole amount of time available. They don't hire enough workers and they don't pay the workers when they are due. They steal from others farms, etc.. Trying to get ahead by unjust practices only brings ruin.

24 He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent with discipline.

Many think this means that you are to take up a stick and "beat" your misbehaving children, but I reject that idea. I think something is missed in the translation here, just my opinion though.

The "rod" is a tool of sheep herding and a good shepherd NEVER beat his sheep with it. He did throw it to guide them, but he did not throw it to hit them. He did throw it to kill wild animals who were after the sheep to kill them. We are er, to guide our children by our own behaviior and teaching from their birth, and not wait until the problems are out of control.

I think hitting/spanking is a last resort, when all other methods of correction and guidence have failed to bring the child to correct conduct. That however, does not include beating and injuring where they have to be taken to the hospital and then you're in trouble with the law. One popular myth in Christian circles is that of the shepherd breaking a sheeps leg to then carry the sheep around to keep him in control...It's a myth. He guides, he disciplines, but he does not break their legs.

Yes, there are instructions about putting a dissobedient child to death in the Older Testament, but yet we see no writings of it having ever been done. There are many other ways of guidence and discipline that should be tried first. Teaching with our godly words and godly example is the beginning of correct instruction. If we're not exampling it in a godly manner, it's difficult to teach our children to be godly.

From Whedon's Commentary On The Bible:

Solomon seems to have had no idea that a good education could be secured without correction. It is not necessary, says Stuart, “to understand the word rod in a literal sense; but it at least means correction of some kind for faults.” It must be remembered that moral suasion alone, as the exclusive appliance in the education of children, is a comparatively modern idea. It may be doubted whether it will stand the test of experience, in opposition to the judgment of the wise and good of the past ages. There are, probably, in this matter extremes on either hand to be guarded against, and a golden mean of right conduct, which every parent will do well to seek. There are some children who perhaps, never need corporal punishment; but there are others who are injured by the neglect of it. Compare Proverbs 3:11; Proverbs 23:13-14; Proverbs 29:15.

25 The righteous eats to his heart’s content, but the belly of the wicked goes hungry.

The righteous is content with his circumstances God has him in. He works hard and diligently and the results bring him all his desires that are within the will of God. The wicked though, are always wanting more, bigger, and better...their appitite is never satisfied.

In bringing all of this portion to a summery, I'd say we start with being a trustworthy messenger with God's word, to our family, our friends, and strangers. When reading God's word we self-discipline where we see that we are comming up short. In this way the hopes and desires God has for us will work in us and they will become our desires too.

We will choose godly friends and avoid close friendships with those who insist on participating in evil activity and talk and try to drag us along with them. In doing this God will bless us. Leaving our children an inheritence is important, especially an inheritence of integrity and honesty. We don't cheat others or steal from them. We guide our families by our example and correct when needed, being harsh only when we have instructed correctly and the child is defiant against it.

When we ourselves walk in the ways of righteousness then we will reap the good that we have sowed and will enjoy it's fruit.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Wisdom Builds Up, Folly Tears Down
Prov 14:1-19

1 A wise woman builds her house, but a foolish one tears it down with her own hands.

From the Adam Clarke Commentary:

By her prudent and industrious management she increases property in the family, furniture in the house, and food and raiment for her household. This is the true building of a house. The thriftless wife acts differently, and the opposite is the result. Household furniture, far from being increased, is dilapidated; and her household are ill-fed, ill-clothed, and worse educated.
In scripture women are given a great deal of responsibility for the household. They are not just shuffeled off to care for the children and teach the girls how to wash and clean and sew and just teach the boys basic Bible stories.

In the beginning of these proverbs Solomon makes it clear that the mothers teachings are just as vital as the father's. One is not lesser, they are equal. They may have had differeing responsibilities to manage, but none the less they were equally responsible for the rearing of the kids, all the way through adulthood. (See 1 Tim 3:11; Gal 3:27-29)

A wise woman will not be a gossip or one who accuses her family of things they are not guilty of. She does not constantly argue and scream and yell and upset the household. Such a woman only makes her family want to get away from her.

As women we can choose to either build or tear down, bring peace or disruption. To start with we should marry wisely. Marrying a foolish man can make it much more difficult from the very beginning. Ladies, if he does not care about the ways of God and is walking contrary to godly ways, don't marry him. To the men, I give the same advise.
2 The one who walks uprightly fears Adonai, but one devious in his ways despises Him.

Again, the fear of Adonai is not a terror kind of fear. It's an awestruck respect, knowing that HE could squash us like bugs, (remember Noah? The earth and sky opened up and everyone was GONE, except for Noah and his family), but because HE loves us HE made a way of escape from HIS wrath. Adonai is NOT our homeboy. Adonai is the King of the Universe, maker of heaven and earth, and there is none as great as HE. We are to respect HIM.

The fool though, treats HIM as their homeboy. They don't respect HIM much less HIS instructions. They easily ignore HIS ways and if they claim they are believers, they are of the opinion they can do what they want and not suffer any negative consequences. However, we are no longer slaves to sin so we should stop living as if we are (Col 3:25; Gal 6:7-8; Rom 6:5-7; Heb 10:26-27) The Apostle makes it very clear we cannot claim to be believers and make sin a lifestyle. True repentence and putting one's faith and trust in the blood of Yeshua covering our sins brings change. It's an on-going and continual change but it's still change. It's not haphazard and flippant toward the grace HE bestowed upon us. (Ttus 3:1-11)
3 In the mouth of a fool is a rod for his back, but the lips of the wise protect them.

From Coffman's Commentaries on the Bible:

We have already had many proverbs which are the equivalent of this; and there are many more. "By thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned" (Matthew 12:37). Toy's translation is: "In the mouth of a fool is a sprig of his pride, but the lips of the wise preserve them."[3]
4 Where there are no oxen, the stalls are clean, but from the strength of the ox comes an abundant harvest.

The stable may be clean if you don't have the strength of the ox to plow, and plant, and pull the wagon, you have nothing but a clean stable. Laboring workers have some unpleasentness, but without them there is no gain. There will always be inconveniences to getting what we want, but stop complaining about the mess involved.
5 A trustworthy witness does not lie, but a false witness breathes out lies.

A witness to a crime does not lie about what they saw, even if it gets their guilty friend in trouble.

6 A scoffer seeks wisdom yet finds none, but knowledge is easy to the discerning.

A scoffer of God's word seeks for wisdom everywhere but where it may be found. For those who love God's word and seek to know Him, what they discover through their searching is easy to understand. Jer 29:13; Act 17:27-28; Heb 11:6; Matt 7:7-8; Luke 11:9-10; Matt 6:33, just to name a few)
7 Walk away from a fool—for you will find no knowledge on his lips.

Just walk away. Don't argue with them, just walk away. Trying to reason with a person of the world is throwing our pearls before swine. All the pig will do is trample them and they end up being buried in mud. See Matt 7:6.
iu
8 The wisdom of the prudent is to consider his way, but the folly of fools is deception.

Albert Barnes' Notes on the Whole Bible:

The Hebrew counterpart to the Greek “Know thyself.” “The highest wisdom is for a person to understand his own way. The most extreme folly is self-deceit.” The word “deceit” may, however, involve fraud practiced upon others. The folly of fools shows itself then in their ceaseless effort to deceive.
Know yourself. Know your strengths and your weaknesses. Don't fool yourself on the very real possibility of falling in your faith. Do everything you have to do to guard yourself against it.
9 Fools mock guilt of sin, but among the upright is goodwill.

Guilt for doing wrong is a good thing. If we're guilty then we're guilty and a believer in Yeshua knows WHO to run to, we know we have HIS forgiveness when we confess and repent (meaning turning away from the sin). Those in the world mock those feelings of guilt though. They ignore them and try to cover them up with good works, but we are saved by grace, not our works, and that grace is applied by repentence and putting our faith and trust in Yeshua and His shed blood covering our sins and wiping out our debt to it.

10 The heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy.

From The Biblical Illistrator:

The heart knows a bitterness peculiar to itself. This is true in a natural, common, and moral sense. Concerning any man this is true. The shoe pinches on every foot, and that foot alone knows where the pinch is felt. Do not intrude into the hidden sorrows of any. Most solemnly this is true concerning the godless man and concerning the awakened man. When the Holy Spirit begins to convince the man of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment, then “the heart knoweth its own bitterness.” And concerning the backslider. And concerning the tried believer. But the singularity of his suffering is the dream of the sufferer. Others have seen affliction too. Know thy sorrow well. And remember that the cure for bitterness of heart is to take it to your Lord at once.
Each person has some sorrow and each one their own sorrows that are specifically theirs. The joy of the sorrow being lifted is specifically theirs as well.

11 The house of the wicked will be demolished, but the tent of the upright will flourish.

If we build our house on the sand when the rain comes what we've labored over will wash away, but for the righteous who build on the Rock of Yeshua when the rains come it stands firm and flourishes. (Matt 7:24-27)

12 There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.

The world thinks there are many ways to God, and the paths they are walking on that seem right to them, but the destination is death. If the way is different from what God's word says it is then it's leading to death.

13 Even in laughter the heart may ache, and the end of joy may be grief.

Even though someone may be laughing and joking they may be experiencing heartache. There may be things going on in their life that has them stressed out and fearful. Always be kind to people. Speak words of encouragment even when you don't know what someone is going through. Don't be rough and crass. Don't go up to someone in the market with little kids not wearing masks and scream over them that you hope they die...or their parent. It's not your business to "correct" people you don't know.

14 A backsliding heart partakes of its ways, and a good man is rewarded for his.

The one who once followed God's instructions but has now turned their back on what he knows is right will only partake of the fruit of "giving-up". He quit running the race. He quit self-disciplining. He quit trusting in Yeshua and instead now trusts in his own efforts. He will only partake of failure. The one who presses on toward the goal thugh will be rewarded with the prize. (See Phil 3:12-21)

15 The naïve believes every word, but the shrewd discerns his steps.

Don't just believe every thing you're told. In the world, or in the church. There are many who do not study but they are teaching and they are teaching incorrect things. They are teaching based on what they were told. Some are so led astray by their own selves they are making up doctrines from scripture that the scripture does not teach. Some are being accused of teaching false doctrines, yet upon close inspection are teaching the truth. Study for yourself. Don't pass things on that you have not studied for youreself. In the church or on Facebook or anywhere else.

Continue to study, even the same scriptures over and over. God's word is living and we can see things in it today that we did not see yesterday. Of course, it will never contradict itself either. If you think it does, study it some more. Use several translations and commentaries.

Don't ever think you know it all already. My opinions of some things have changed several times over the years. When you study something and then conclude that you had it all wrong before, be humble and be willing to repent and correct when you can. There are honest mistakes, then there is knowing a mistake was made but in pride continuing to weave the wrong teaching into sounding right when it isn't.

Thank you Yeshua for Your grace and mercy and forgiveness. :bow:
16 The wise fears and turns away from evil, but the fool is hotheaded and reckless.

When we study God's word and apply it we will recognize evil when it rears it's ugly head. But with the foolish, "if it were a snake it would bite them".
17 One with a short temper acts foolishly, and one with crafty schemes is hated.

A person with a short temper acts impulsively. They get angry without even asking what happened. They say things and do things that hurt others and destroy without even knowing the facts. That type of person is hated.
18 The naïve inherit folly, but the prudent are crowned with knowledge.

Do the research. When we don't, we don't know what is expected. Doing the research, whatever it's about, will tell us what we need to know.

19 Evil men will bow in the presence of the good, and the wicked at the gates of the righteous.

This makes me think of Phil 2:9-11 "For this reason God highly exalted Him and gave Him the name that is above every name, 10 that at the name of Yeshua every knee should bow, in heaven and on the earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue profess that Yeshua the Messiah is Lord—to the glory of God the Father".

My Summery: A wise woman is diligent in building her household and is not a slacker letting her family eat or live poorly. The one who has deep respect for Adonai walks uprightly and the words from our lips build instead of demolish.

The house may be spotless, but the people inside the house are needed and they are what makes it a pleasant place to be. Don't profess things to be as you say if you personally did not see it. Be discerning. Don't argue with a fool. Consider the ways that you practice and if they are honoring God or not. Don't mock if someone is feeling guilty for a wrong they did. Don't sluff it off, guide them to God to repent.

We all have sorrow and we all feel joy when that sorrow is lifted. We are to build our house on the word of God and keep it maintained so that we will stand firm when the storms come, and they will. Trust in God and HIS ways, not in what seems right to us. Be kind, we don't know what another is going through.

If we don't give up in the race we will receive the prize. Don't just believe what our teacher/preacher tells us...study it for ourselves. When we discover something we are doing is sin, be quick to repent and turn.

Don't be short-temperd and quick to fly off the handle. If we don't know something that we need to know then seek out the answer. And, at the end of life on this earth evil will bow and confess right along with everyone else that Yeshua Messiah is LORD.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
He's Shown Us What To Do
Prov 14:20-21

Question: What is a Biblical Proverb:

A good definition of a biblical proverb is “a short saying that expresses a general truth for practical, godly living.” The Hebrew word translated “proverb” comes from a root word meaning “to be like”; thus, the book of Proverbs is full of comparisons showing us how various images illustrate the fundamental truths of life. The purpose of a proverb is to present wisdom in a short, memorable format. Proverbs are simple yet profound. Many deal with the commonplace yet clarify the deepest realities of life. The Bible refers to proverbs as “sayings of the wise” (Proverbs 24:23) and “sayings and riddles of the wise” (Proverbs 1:6). ~Got Questions~

20 The poor is hated even by his neighbor, but many are those who love the rich.

As long as you are prosperous you have many friends, but when you no longer have any money, or means of doing things for others, the supposed friends are off somewhere else.

That is the way it seems to go isn't it? It's the way of human nature. When someone wins the lottery or in some other way comes into a lot of money, if the news gets out, they are enundated with people asking them for money. They get calls from all kinds of charities, relatives who never spoke to them or didn't even know they had, come out of the woodwork, and thieves start hanging around the house. Lot's of people suddenly like you. But those people who suddenly and only appear when you have something they want will just as quickly disappear when you are in need.

There is no approval of this attitude, just observation, just a statement of fact. It's not supposed to be that way, especially in the lifestyle of a beleiver in Yeshua but is generally how it works out.

21 Whoever despises his neighbor sins, but whoever is gracious to the needy is blessed.

Whoever despises his neighbor, for ANY reason is sinning. To despise someone and/or speak badly about them because they have nothing they can do for you, or to despise them because they have a blemish or something physically wrong with them, or they're a bit odd, or from another country, or have bad hygene or for any reason is not acceptable to God. We need to teach our ourselves and our children these principles and teach by word and example that bullying is not acceptable and we should stand up for the one who is being bullied. Instead of fantasy fairy tales with fake hero's, tell bedtime stories that are based on scripture and teach them Biblical principles. That's how God said to do it (Deut 11:18-21).

We as believers in Yeshua are to be gracious and include the outsiders in our lives. Remember the parable of the Good Samaritan? (Luke 10:25-37) The parable is abblicable to all human situations where one person is in need from another. We are to NEVER treat anyone like an outsider. Ever.

To be gracious is to be kind, benevolent, and courteous, merciful and compassionate, especially to those of lesser means. We are to give of what we have...if we have only a slice of pizza, we can at least share it. God blesses whoever is gracious to the needy. As the Apostle Paul put it, we are to walk as children in the light (Eph 5:1-5)

Seek God on how to respond to each of the situations that may come your way. Don't be careless, but also don't be rude and obnoxious or begrudging. Walk out God's will and ways to the best of your ability. That's all God asks (Mic 6:8).

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Good Plans, Hard Work, The Crown of the Wise
Prov 14:22-24

These Biblical Proverbs are not guarentees that life will never not go the way we want. In Proverbs there are many exceptions in the way one's life may play out. God makes no guarentee that trouble will not come your way, yet HE does guarentee that if/when it does, if you are putting your faith and trust in HIM, HE is there with you to give you strength and guide you through.

The Proverbs are NOT promises or mandates from God, nor a formula for getting rich or for everything always going right. They are howerver, insights on life according to those who have gone before them and did and/or did not always follow God as HE instructed. We are to go after wisdom and righteousness out of love and obedience to our Father, not to get rich, which is folly, but to seek the face of God and gain integrity and faithfulness. That is one's true riches, not money. See 1 Tim 6:10; Eph 3:16-19; Eph 3:8.

22 Indeed those who plot evil go astray but grace and truth come to those who plan good.

God created us to be connecd with Him. Not a one of us was created to wander around on our own doing our own thing as we see fit...never seeking His will and way. There are many who think they know best for their own path and don't seek to see the path that God has laid out for them. Their plans are "what is the most comfortable and profitable for me"? They continually stray into the sure dangers that lead off the path of God.

But for those who stay connected to God by His word and constant communication with Him, they will encounter grace and truth. Now that's not to say that we have to ask God what to do in every itty bitty situation. If we're in HIS word we'll already know what we should or should not eat to better suit our body's. If we're in HIS word, we'll already know how best to dress so as to not cause others to stumble, etc.. But unless we hear HIM for some reason that we don't know yet, tell us to wear the blue shirt today there are just some things that are up to us and our personal likes and dislikes. There are many situations though, that require us knowing His word and being able to hear HIS guidence and bring back to remembrance what HIS word says.

Staying connect to God is our life. HIS path is sure and to disconnect is a sure falling off the cliff. HE will never leave us or forsake us, but when we deliberately go off HIS path we are seperating ourselves from Him and HE does not follow us. Yes, HE's there to rescue us when we fall, but we still face any repercussions of our defiant actions. It's best to plan to follow God's plan...period.

23 In all hard work there is profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

"Less talk, more work". Any trade that a person works hard and faithfully in will turn a profit. How many times have you heard someone talk about all the things they're gonna do then you meet them years later and they've done none of it. Not only that but they're pretty much doing nothing now. Going from here to there, then back again, never putting themselves into anything, but they have lot's of plans.

I know that it's easy to get discouraged when we have desires to accomplish certain things, and then things don't go the way we plan and our ideas just fall by the wayside. Yet, we should not allow that discouragement to weigh us down. Seek God and ask HIM what HIS plans are in the situation, then go after it with enthsiasm. We are to work with what we got. Improvise...figure it out. Doing nothing but talking only brings us to poverty.

24 The crown of the wise is their riches, but the folly of fools is foolishness.

Said by the richest man of his age. :) Going after wisdom though is not just about money.

If we follow HIS instructions we will be blessed, if we don't we will be cursed (Deut 11:26-28). Of course we are set free from the curse of the law of sin and death which is "the soul that sin's, dies" (Gen 2:15-17; Ezek 18:19-20; Rom 6:23). All God's other laws are in full operation.

If we are putting our faith and trust in Yeshua and His shed blood to pay the debt (death) of our sin then we are free from the curse of that law. However, if we continue to live in unrighteous behavior, we still will reap the unrighteous benefits of the unrighteousness we sow (Gal 6:7). Continuing to live as we please will mke our best hope in heaven to be that we will be counted the least. Not finishing the race does not make us steller inhabitants in God's Kingdom (Matt 5:19). I personally, don't want to "just barely" make it in.

I stumbled apon this short video on the Book of Proverbs. I thought it was interesting.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.