Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A couple of us have said we're interested in reading through the BoC during this season of Lent. I figured we might find a discussion/accountability thread useful in helping us.

Reasons I'm doing this (or "what's in it for me?"):

• Lent is a season for reflection and meditation. I usually do some sort of consistent reading/meditation during the time (one year I went through all the Psalms, for instance). It always amazes me how much God uses what I've been reading.

• With all the changes and pressures coming to bear in the Church as a whole, and in various denominations specifically, I want to remind myself of the solid Scriptural root of Lutheran doctrine. This is the tradition stream that we all follow, no matter which synod we belong to. Even with our differences, there is a LOT that binds us together.

• I'm a fairly new Lutheran, but I come from another tradition that uses creeds and catechisms so I'm familiar with their use. I would like to use this time to study more deeply the things I learned in the membership class.

• All too often, I dismiss or gloss over my sinfulness in the hurry and scurry of daily life. I want to take time to pause, study, and reflect on material that will bring both the Law that convicts and the joyous Gospel of grace to the forefront of my thoughts during this season.
Who'd like to join me on this journey?

synger

Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you don't have a hardcopy BoC, the online version is very easy to use.

If you want a hard copy, Concordia Publishing has some options. The Reader's Edition is what I use. There's also a new "pocket edition" of the Reader's Edition, with less introductory/explanatory text.

Some Wikipedia background.

I'm beginning with the three Ecumenical/Universal Creeds (Apostles, Nicene, and Athanasian)

Upvote 0

synger

Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been reading the Augsburg confession the last few days. I'm really enjoying that the Reader's Edition has introductions and explanations before each document. It has been helpful in giving me a historical perspective on the documents.

Anyway, I'm finding it very interesting reading, especially since the last time I read them I still held a lot of Reformed doctrines. I remember feeling very defensive during that first read. This time it made a lot more sense.

I was struck by the realization that in the first section on the Chief Articles of Faith, the article on Good Works was the longest. The others state the doctrine, but it's clear enough without a lot of explanation... and they tend to be things the Lutherans agreed with Rome about.

But when they got into good works, it begins to touch some of the core differences, namely justification by faith alone, rather than justification by faith and works. Especially in light of the Joint Declaration on Justification that came out a few years ago, this section is still very, very important to clarify what exactly Scripture teaches about faith and works.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.